View Single Post
Old 04-05-2006, 03:39 PM   #84
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo
The parallel between Pearl Jam and Nirvana is interesting. People talk now about how Nirvana single handedly made alternative popular, but Pearl Jam sold way more records and had more airplay than Nirvana while Cobain was alive and I think its reasonable to assume that Vedder and Pearl Jam would be just as esteemed as Cobain and Nirvana if the roles were reversed and Vedder offed himself right after recording Vitalogy.

You make a good point here, and its pretty valid. The only thing I can sort of say is that the part of Cobain that made him kill himself is also the part that I think raises his music a level higher than Vedder's. The emotion in Nirvana songs always feels a few levels higher than PJ's, or at least a little more raw and real. To me, that adds to the allure.

That said, the first 3 PJ albums are pretty awesome!
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote