View Single Post
Old 04-05-2006, 02:48 PM   #68
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson
I don't think anyone here is making the argument that Nirvana was a great band. And I think only a very, very small number of people are qualified to say whether Nirvana, as opposed to other similar bands, were or were not a great influence on future music. Nirvana's legacy, instead, is their success - the fact that millions and millions of new people were listening to this kind of music pretty much overnight. That influenced the culture of the time - the clothes, the attitudes, everything. Whether or not other bands were "better", Nirvana was the one that crossed that bridge. As this really wasn't a post-death phenomenon, as anyone who was in middle school or high school at the time would remember.

I really like ths "Nirvana may not have been the best musical band or the best songwriting band, but they had commercial success so they were one fo the best of all time," argument.

Many have made similar arguments in this thread. I wonder why they think it makes sense to argue that Nirvana was great because of their commercial success and not, say, the Backstreet Boys and their commercial success? After all, the BSB were also influential in many ways as well.

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote