View Single Post
Old 04-05-2006, 02:32 PM   #66
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson
Nirvana's legacy, instead, is their success - the fact that millions and millions of new people were listening to this kind of music pretty much overnight. That influenced the culture of the time - the clothes, the attitudes, everything. Whether or not other bands were "better", Nirvana was the one that crossed that bridge.

I agree here--Nirvana was that group that heralded a change in pop music during that era. That period (1991-1993) was an amazing time to be listening to the pop radio. By 1991, 80s-style pop had started to grow stale and nobody was quite sure what would replace it, so a lot of programmers seemed to play anything and everything. Not to denigrate them, but as some have alluded to, Nirvana seemed to be in the right place at the right time in this regard.

Looking back, it's amazing to think how fleeting that era was--ask a 14 year old in the year 2000 what "Lollapalooza" was, and he probably wouldn't know. By 1994 I felt that top 40 was starting to get stale again ("overgrunged"). The first time I heard the Dionne Farris single "I Know" on the radio, I figured that "alternative pop"'s days were numbered on Top 40 radio.

Who do you think was the seminal act that heralded the teen pop era (1997-2001 in the US)? Spice Girls? Backstreet Boys?
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote