View Single Post
Old 03-31-2006, 01:29 AM   #59
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antmeister71
For Madden, yes that wouldn't be doable, since people are playing with a joystick. In other words, a person's actions determine how a play turns out.

For this game however, the output is coming from the stats. If FOF had a sim engine underneath that, the result would determine how the action is played on the field. In other words, if the sim engine would say that there was a 15 yard rushing gain off the right guard, the graphics would simply be used as showing how to show it and it could have a number of creative ways to show how this person gained 15 yards off the right guard.

FOF would already determine the success/failure of a play before it is shown. The job of the overlay is to come up with creative ways to show that success or failure. So let's say that a running back has above average strength, but poor agility. If the FOF sim engine says he went 15 yards and he was tackled by a slow linebacker, it could show this running back running behind some successful blocks as he bowls over a few people along the way.

I am not saying this will be the easiest task, but it is doable. It is just a whole different way of thinking.
My point remains - you're underestimating how difficult this would be to program from an AI perspective. If the sim engine doesn't provide that level of granularity in the play result, then an AI has to be written to interpret it and fill in all the details for all 22 players on the field, and do so in a way that doesn't look completely stupid (consider the grief the animations in Maximum Football have gotten). Writing an AI that can fill in all those blanks isn't at all an easy task - from what I know of that discipline of programming, I think it could be done if you threw enough engineers at the issue, but it would never happen because there's no way such a game could sell nearly enough copies to cover the expense of all those programmers needed to create it.

It is levels of magnitude easier to write a sim engine that calculates the outcome in text and numbers based on various factors vs. describing such an outcome in enough detail to drive a realistic 3-D representation of such (what did each of the blocking interactions look like? How exactly did that RB move? How exactly did those LB's and DB's react in reading the play?)

Last edited by dawgfan : 03-31-2006 at 01:30 AM.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote