View Single Post
Old 04-26-2003, 07:45 AM   #154
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

2005 MONTREAL POSITION REPORTS

Here is a link to our team roster at the end of 2K4.

CATCHER
Jose “Wild Card” Camacho (Avg/Brl/Good,4/9/6,28yo) returns for season four. His last two seasons have been virtual carbon copies of one another. 2004 saw him turn in .225-25-70 numbers. He’s been a decent #6 hitter for us, but will never be a viable option for higher in the order unless he can cut down on K’s (345 over the last 2 seasons), and raise his batting average. His primary backup is Paul Chasse (Avg/Poor/Fair,4/4/3,28yo), who can also play 1B. Carlos “The Bull” Davila (Avg/Good/Good,4/6/8,28yo batted .289 with 24 HR’s in AAA last year.

OVERALL THOUGHTS: Camacho has been steady behind the plate. I don’t know yet whether or not he’s the long-term solution, but I’ve got two more seasons before he is FA-eligible. Davila will begin the season at AAA, but if he develops any more, he’ll get called up to start vs. RHP.

FIRST BASE
John Swensen (Good/Brl/Brl,7/8/10,27yo) batted #2 last year, due to the presence of several power hitters and his having a .350 OBP. He hit 32 homers and scored 96 runs. Based on his talent, George Palafox (Good/Good/Avg,2/3/4,26yo) ought to turn into something, but he hasn’t shown me much yet. After spending seven seasons in single-A, I called him up to AA, and he had a .645 OPS.

OVERALL THOUGHTS: It looks like Swensen is coming into his own. He’s signed to a long-tem contract, and should be just entering his prime. I expect big things out of him.

SECOND BASE
Tyrone Sweeney (Good/Good/Avg,6/6/6,28yo) took over as the starter and leadoff hitter last year, and responded with 60 SB’s and 89 R’s. With all the power in the lineup behind him, I need to cut down on his running a bit to reduce CS’s. Ryan Wiens (Good/Fair/Fair,6/4/6,34yo), a former starter, is a capable defensive replacement and backup at 2B (B) and SS (C).

OVERALL THOUGHTS: Sweeney is a leadoff hitter with some pop and very good speed. He’s eligible to become a FA after this season, and will likely get a long-term contract

THIRD BASE
Harry “Pluto” Reid (Good/Good/Good,6/7/6,24yo) earned rookie-of-the-year honors last year, putting up a .263-24-65 season. If this guy can take it to the next level soon, our dangerous lineup gets even more dangerous. Because of Reid’s “E” range at 3B, Earl Gosser (Good/Fair/Avg,6/4/6,32yo) will often replace him defensively. Gosser has “B” range.

OVERALL THOUGHTS: If Reid’s defense can get a little better, he might be stationed in the hot corner for a number of years to come.

SHORTSTOP
Matthew Erwin (Avg/Brl/Fair,5/9/6,31yo) hit in the #4 and #5 spots, and drove in 104 runs with 36 homers. He’s got “B” range. Defensive whiz Abel Pardo (Avg/Good/Avg,4/4/6,26yo) will still be counted on for his speed and defense off the bench. Arthur Owens (Avg/Fair/Brl,2/2/6,20yo) is a 3.5 star guy with C range at 2B/3B/SS. He had a .798 OPS in his second year of A-ball last year, and will likely start the season in AA.

OVERALL THOUGHTS: Erwin gives me great power and good defense, and Pardo is a capable backup. I can’t complain here.

LEFT FIELD
Russ Mangan (Avg/Brl/Avg,4/7/6,26yo), looks like an all-around talent, with an “A” arm, and “A” speed and stealing ability. His hitting was less-than-stellar in his rookie campaign (.204-14-58). He platooned with Earl Birnbaum (Avg/Fair/Avg,6/3/6,28yo) most of the season, with Mangan starting against RHP’s.

OVERALL THOUGHTS: Mangan has a greater upside and will be the primary starter this year. Birnbaum can also play CF, and bats left-handed, so he’ll get some at-bats as well. Time will tell if Mangan can become what I think he will.

CENTER FIELD
James “Handyman” Wuest (Good/Brl/Brl,7/9/10,34yo) stuggled in the power department last year (16HR), but everything else looked fine, especially his .360 OBP.
OVERALL THOUGHTS: CF still belongs to the Handyman. I will start him in the #2 hole, and move Sweeney to #3. I hope he lasts, as he’s our highest-paid player ($8M), and signed through 2009.

RIGHT FIELD
Ronald “Swordfish” Feely (Good/Brl/Avg,6/8/5,28yo) had the kind of year I thought he was capable of last year (.275-34-111). He has “C” range and an “A” arm.

OVERALL THOUGHTS: There’s no reason not to expect Feely to be a star for several years. He’s signed through 2005.

STARTING PITCHER
Dewey Baumer (Brl/Avg/Brl,10/7/8,27yo) is the ace of the staff, but missed about 10 weeks last year due to injury. He won the Gold Glove Award, and went 10-7 with a 3.05 ERA. He has a lifetime 0.92 WHIP. Freddy Castonguay (Brl/Good/Brl,10/8/9,27yo) tore his rotator cuff and July and went out for the year. I’m hoping he can come back full-stength. He’s still listed as out for two weeks. Lefty Steve Adams (Brl/Avg/Avg,9/6/6, age 29 was an All-Star last year, but then had it rough in July and September. He finished 13-12 with a 4.28 ERA. Marcos Fernandez (Good/Avg/Brl,8/7/8,34yo was signed as a FA last year, and chipped in a 13-6, 3.70 ERA season. The number 5 spot in the rotation is up for grabs. Veterans who might get that spot are: Benjamin Lopez (Avg/Good/Good,6/6/6,26yo) (8-7,3.83 at AAA), Ronald Smith (Good/Avg/Good,7/5/7,35yo) (2-5,7.00 at MLB, 4-2,3.16 at AAA), Billy Hague (Avg/Brl/Good,6/7/6,27yo) (4-2,1.96 at AAA, 2-6,5.21 at MLB) and Harry Stickles (Avg/Avg/Good,7/7/7,35yo) (6-6,4.63). If things REALLY struggle, RP Sol Steele has “E” endurance as a starter as well.

We have three SP prospects worth mentioning at this point:: Hikoshirou Haruhiko (Good/Brl/Good,7/6/5,24yo, 5 stars), Max Conde (Avg/Good/Avg,1/3/4,20yo, 3.5 stars), [b]Gregorio Cruz (Good/Brl/Good,8/7/6,24yo,5 stars) and Gregory Alkire (Avg/Good/Avg,2/5/4,21yo,3.5 stars). Cruz got rocked in a callup to MLB (0-7,7.84) last year.

OVERALL THOUGHTS: If Baumer and Castonguay can bounce back from their injuries, there’s no reason to believe the rotation won’t be quite solid, no matter who finally wins the fifth starter job. I’m hoping that Baumer-Castonguay-Adams canb be a long-term Big Three for us.

RELIEF PITCHING
Righty Samuel Marmolejo (Good/Good/Good,9/9/6,34yo). He only blew one save all year. The aforementioned Sol Steele (Good/Avg/Brl,10/7/8,28yo) should be the primary setup man. Dion Martinez (Brl/Good/Brl,10/678,27yo), a right-hander, showed himself very much ready last year. He turned in a 3.82 ERA in 55 appearances. The top lefty is Richard Brandl (Good/Avg/Avg,8/7/6,32yo), who had a 3.95 ERA in 82 appearances last year.

OVERALL THOUGHTS: The ‘pen had no one finish last year with an ERA over 4.00, and nearly everyone returns. Looking solid here.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 04-26-2003 at 07:47 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote