View Single Post
Old 03-16-2006, 02:35 PM   #196
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MylesKnight
DT, how do you see BC recruiting going in years to come now that they no longer compete in conference with schools from the northeast? Will you see a larger amount of players from southern states because of this? Will this possibly turn off recruits who want to play college basketball in the northeast now that trips to Syracuse, UConn, SJU, 'Nova, Pitt, Gtown, etc., are no longer available?

Does the move hurt or help in your eyes?
In my eyes it helps, no doubt. BC itself is still in the northeast of course, and there is no doubt that being in the ACC competing ACC schools will mean a larger porportion of players coming from the southern states/tobacco row. BC will be competing with Duke and UNC and NC State and Maryland for recruits, as opposed to competing with Syracuse and Pitt (because frankly UConn doesn't compete with the rest of the Big East for recruits). And IMO, as long as we remain a strong program (as we have been with this past recruiting class) we should begin to attract players of roughly that quality (perhaps not a Reddick, but a step below that). Rice for example was heavily recruited by (I believe) UNC (maybe NC State?) but chose BC. Haynes I hear was heavily recruited by Illinois, Oaklahoma and others. And I'm not sure who they have coming in this next year (honestly I am not THAT much of a Bball fan to follow recruiting), but I hear it's a good class. I think for a couple years we may end up with a lower-quality class than Duke/UNC, but eventually I think DeFilippo (the AD) hopes that a move to the ACC will result in us being on par with Duke/UNC as far as recruiting. Academically of course it's a whole different ballgame, and that will have some effect on our recruiting. But overall I think it's a positive move and the quality of our recruiting classes can't help but go up (Smith and Dudley FYI were barely recruited by anyone coming out of HS and look where they've taken this team). If we can put in a few more years of being the 2/3 team in the ACC then I think we will begin to be taken seriously by some of the low 1-st tier guys that Duke/UNC recruit.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 03-16-2006 at 02:36 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote