View Single Post
Old 03-08-2006, 11:05 PM   #299
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Tonight's ratings are brought to you by Hans Christian Andersen. No, not the guy who kicked for the Chiefs and other teams for thirty-something seasons, it's the Hans Christian Andersen who brought us such classics as "The Marsh King's Daughter" and "The Girl Who Trod on the Loaf." I assure you the latter is a worthy read.

1. Gedeon McKinney. The Ugly Duckling. That smile grates on your nerves. You're ready to hate him, admit it. He starts singing and you're not impressed. But by the end of the song you're fully entertained. Another solid performance by a guy who's turning into a swan as we watch. Score of 83.

2. Chris Daughtry. The Steadfast Tin Soldier. Chris is a little guy, but he can rock out with anyone. I thought this was his worst performance to date, but it was a very mediocre night. Score of 81.

3. Ace Young. The Little Mermaid. Ace's gender identity may be a little uncertain, but he can mesmerize little girls with the best of them. I no longer believe he's a lock for the final four or five, but he's versatile and takes a lot of chances. The falsetto was bad, the rest was pretty good. Score of 73.

4. Elliott Yamin. The Shadow. Last week, I thought Elliott had the best performance of the entire season to date. This week, he was tentative and seemed to lack confidence. Still, he kept in tune for the most part and was mildly ambitious. Score of 69.

5. Kevin Covais. The Toad. Just not working for me. I still think of Kermit the Frog every time he opens his mouth. I didn't think he was horrible this week, just not the kind of singer that can go far in this competition. Score of 61.

6. Taylor Hicks. The Emperor's New Clothes. I get heat for this, more than you'll ever know, because my wife thinks he's great. He still sounds badly out of tune, the style is annoying. Yeah, I get that what he's doing has a high degree of difficulty. But it's painful to listen to and I'm wondering if the judges are just afraid to criticize him because he's such an audience favorite. Score of 58.

7. Bucky Covington. The Thorny Road of Honor. Bucky is true to his roots. He just can't sing about them very well. On the bright side, he's probably nailing Kellie Pickler like she owes him money, whatever that means. Score of 53.

8. Will Makar. Soup from a Sausage Skewer. Quite frankly, that was the worst performance I've ever seen on American Idol. Why did he even bother to show up tonight? Score of 15.

Who is going? Definitely Will. Any support he had was lost to Ace and Kevin today. The Kevin fans will rally around his poor showing last week, so I think Bucky is in considerable danger. I worry a little about Elliott, but I think the judges like him enough to keep his support intact.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote