View Single Post
Old 04-18-2003, 10:35 AM   #110
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

2003 MONTREAL FREE AGENCY PERIOD REPORT

TRADES
I pull off a BLOCKBUSTER deal with San Diego. They get C Whitener, 2B Demuth and 4-star pitching prospect Constantine. In return, we get SS Abel Pardo (Avg/Good/Avg,4/4/5,24yo and CF James “Handyman” Wuest (Good/Brl/Brl,7/9/10,32yo! Pardo has “A” range at SS. He hit .314 in AAA last year, but only .174 in 16 games after being called up. He’s a risk offensively, but should shore up the middle of the infield defensively. “Handyman” should be a great pickup for us. He actually was originally drafted by the Expos, and spent 4 ˝ seasons with the Expos until being traded to SD in the deal that brought RP Dion Martinez to Montreal. He’s a 4-time All Star with a lifetime .495 slugging pct and .857 OPS. He’s got “B” range in CF. Handyman is in the last year of a contract that will pay him $7.01M this year.

I also ship 1B Cisco and a MR prospect to Cleveland for 3B Anthony Jones (Avg/Good/Brl,6/6/9,35yo) and LF/CF Bernard Romain (Fair/Brl/Avg,0/4/2,19yo). Romain could amount to something nice one day. Jones is a bit of a risk, as he’ll be 36 before the season starts. He has “B” range, and hit 25 homers last year. He’s a 3-time all-star.

After the trades, here’s the financial situation in Montreal:
Cash on Hand: $-5,000,000
Total Payroll: $47,001,700
Last Year Income: $49,135,432
Available Money: $0

DESIRES
Fortunately, I filled all my perceived needs via trades, as I have no money for FA signings.

POST-FREE AGENCY THOUGHTS
Well, this certainly looks like a squad that should exceed the expectation of not finishing last. If the pitching matures as I expect, with a little luck we could contend for the playoffs.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 04-18-2003 at 10:37 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote