Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   FOFC Archive (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Rocker Bret Michaels critical after brain hemorrhage (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=77552)

JonInMiddleGA 04-23-2010 07:40 PM

Rocker Bret Michaels critical after brain hemorrhage

Bret Michaels's health has taken a turn for the worse, PEOPLE has learned: After an excruciating headache late Thursday night, the star was rushed to an undisclosed hospital where doctors discovered he suffered a massive subarachnoid hemorrhage (bleeding at the base of his brain stem), according to a source close to the situation.

Michaels, 47, is currently in critical condition. "After several CAT scans, MRIs and an angiogram, [doctors] decided to keep Michaels in the ICU and are running several tests to determine the cause. [It] will be touch and go for the next few days while he is under intense observation," the source says.

Reps confirm this report is accurate, and tell PEOPLE, "We will have no additional information until further testing is done."

The rocker's latest hospital visit follows his emergency appendectomy in San Antonio, Texas, on April 12. There is no word yet whether this new development is related to the rocker's recent appendectomy or to his diabetes.

After his appendectomy, Michaels remained in the hospital under his doctors' care – then transferred to a rehab facility specializing in diabetic patients.

As he was recovering, Michaels – who was still in the running to win this season of NBC's Celebrity Apprentice – seemed to be in good spirits and updated fans on his progress.

Lathum 04-23-2010 07:43 PM

Wow, that's crazy, I was always a big fan of Poison and like the way he has resurrected his career through his reality shows. Hope he pulls through.

RainMaker 04-23-2010 07:51 PM

That's real sad, he seemed like a decent guy. I know diabetics are much more susceptible to brain hemorrhages.

cougarfreak 04-23-2010 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lathum (Post 2271722)
Wow, that's crazy, I was always a big fan of Poison and like the way he has resurrected his career through his reality shows. Hope he pulls through.

+1

Galaxy 04-23-2010 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainMaker (Post 2271728)
That's real sad, he seemed like a decent guy. I know diabetics are much more susceptible to brain hemorrhages.

I wonder how much his partying have impacted his health, considering his diabetes.

RainMaker 04-23-2010 08:10 PM

I'm not sure how that stuff impacts what happened to him. While I'm sure he had his fun, he doesn't seem like a guy who was really into it anymore. Every interview I saw of him he seemed really composed and sober.

stevew 04-23-2010 08:14 PM

hopefully he gave the right deity enough face time or it's going to be a long afterlife.

Galaxy 04-23-2010 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainMaker (Post 2271745)
I'm not sure how that stuff impacts what happened to him. While I'm sure he had his fun, he doesn't seem like a guy who was really into it anymore. Every interview I saw of him he seemed really composed and sober.

I just remember watching the first year of his Rock of Love show when it look liked he partied quite a bit with the women.

Philliesfan980 04-23-2010 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevew (Post 2271750)
hopefully he gave the right deity enough face time or it's going to be a long afterlife.

I'm not a huge fan of his life, but why do you say this? Sure, he partied a lot, but he wasn't a deceitful person or a criminal.

Toddzilla 04-23-2010 09:31 PM

I'm really broken up about this

/sarcasm

JonInMiddleGA 04-23-2010 09:53 PM

TMZ reporting that he's awake, stable, and in good spirits.

Comey 04-23-2010 10:02 PM

He, and Poison, are from my home area (I grew up in Camp Hill, they're from Mechanicsburg). How a band like Poison managed to come from a place like Mechanicsburg, I have no idea.

I hope he pulls through.

Lathum 04-23-2010 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toddzilla (Post 2271820)

/sarcasm

Wow, way to be a total dick.

This is a guy who by all accounts is a pretty good dude, who has kids and was on the apprentice to earn money for diabetes.

Why post anything at all? Way to be a total douche.

Schmidty 04-23-2010 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lathum (Post 2271847)

This is a guy who by all accounts is a pretty good dude, who has kids and was on the apprentice to earn money for diabetes.

+1

I would say more, but that would be extra mean.

BYU 14 04-24-2010 12:37 AM

Hoping he makes it through OK, I echo others sentiments in that he seems like a pretty down to earth guy and seems to have toned it down over recent years.

Kodos 04-24-2010 12:50 AM

Hope he pulls through.

Toddzilla: You may not respect his music or like him, but why be a douche?

TCY Junkie 04-24-2010 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lathum (Post 2271847)

Maybe he hates reality TV more than I do?

korme 04-24-2010 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevew (Post 2271750)

:lol:

CrimsonFox 04-24-2010 02:02 AM

If i had to listen to Donald trump blather on stupidly, I'd have a brain hemorrhage too.

Chief Rum 04-24-2010 02:07 AM

Maybe Bret Michaels is a 4-year-old yelling kid to Toddzilla. ;)

RedKingGold 04-24-2010 11:52 AM

I'm just surprised he had a brain.

RedKingGold 04-24-2010 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toddzilla (Post 2271820)

/sarcasm

YOU MAKE LATHUM ANGRY

DanGarion 04-24-2010 03:06 PM

Quote:

Didn't he do "Rock of Love"?

DanGarion 04-24-2010 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Rum (Post 2271894)
Maybe Bret Michaels is a 4-year-old yelling kid to Toddzilla. ;)

Wrong Michaels.

Oilers9911 04-24-2010 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedKingGold (Post 2272016)
I'm just surprised he had a brain.

That might only surprise someone that he himself is lacking a brain. :)

CrimsonFox 04-24-2010 06:45 PM

Misdiagnosis perhaps? :)

Seriously seeing his antics on TV in reality shows, it's clear that he isn't taking care of himself properly to care for his diabetes enough. No sleep, gogogo, drinking partying, etc etc. Granted I think he's better than he used to be and is getting some good priorities but just doesn't slow down like he should.

Mota 04-24-2010 11:22 PM

Hey CrimsonFox,
I'm not sure if you have direct contact with anybody who has Type 1 Diabetes such as Bret Michaels, but "taking care of yourself" doesn't prevent you from getting severely low blood sugars, complications, etc. I have a 6 year old son with diabetes and quite often he'll have a low blood sugar and we'll have to stop everything we're doing and get him juice, and sometimes even struggle to keep him conscious until he drinks it. I'm glad that Bret allows these episodes to be aired on TV, it has been very therapeutic for my son who sees that other people also have high / low blood sugars and have to deal with them.
Mind you it may be easier to control if you have a routine that you follow but we've always been taught that he's a person first and a diabetic second so we don't let it control his life. Unfortunately the human body is never the same 2 days in a row so you're constantly juggling to keep his blood sugar levels in balance, it's just a fact of life for a diabetic.
I applaud Bret for living his dream and not letting a life long condition cause him to turtle up and hide! I wish him all the best during his recovery.

JonInMiddleGA 04-25-2010 08:51 PM

Bret Michaels' Doctors Haven't Located Source of Bleeding *| accessAtlanta

Bret Michaels' tour manager posted an update Sunday on the Poison singer's Web site, disclosing that Michaels is under the care of doctors 24 hours a day. "At this point Bret remains in ICU in critical condition. He is under 24 hour doctors care and supervision. We are hopeful that further tests will locate the source of the bleeding, which has still not been located," Janna Elias wrote of the 47-year-old rocker's health condition. "As we all know Bret is a fighter and we are hopeful that once all is complete the slurred speech, blurred vision and dizziness, etc. will be eliminated and all functions will return to normal."

Michaels' Web site also released an update on the hospitalized rocker's health Saturday following the news that he had suffered a brain hemorrhage. "There are several incorrect reports on Bret's condition. Bret remains in critical condition at an undisclosed location. Further tests are being [run] and information will be updated in the coming days," a post on Michaels' site said.

Lathum 04-26-2010 12:43 AM

Brett Michaels just took his shirt off on celebrity apprentice and the dude was ripped. Anyone who says he doesn't take care of himself is dead wrong.

Sun Tzu 04-26-2010 12:50 AM

I too found it very difficult to not post something sarcastic in here. Good thing I didn't, otherwise Lathum would have yelled at me.

:)

RedKingGold 04-27-2010 06:21 AM

Lathum notices big muscles. He likes when you work out.

Butter 04-27-2010 06:27 AM

Quote:

I know diabetics are much more susceptible to brain hemorrhages.

As are cocaine addicts.

DanGarion 04-27-2010 11:34 AM

Aren't steroid users susceptible to brain hemorrhages?

JonInMiddleGA 04-27-2010 06:44 PM

ET reporting that he will undergo surgery to relieve the swelling around his brain. Not sure what to make of this but I saw elsewhere that he was upgraded to "stable" condition but this story says his condition is deteriorating.

Bret Michaels Health Update

Mizzou B-ball fan 04-28-2010 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 2273725)
ET reporting that he will undergo surgery to relieve the swelling around his brain. Not sure what to make of this but I saw elsewhere that he was upgraded to "stable" condition but this story says his condition is deteriorating.

Bret Michaels Health Update

Until they find the source of the bleed, it's likely that this story will only get worse. Really a difficult situation.

Mota 04-28-2010 07:35 PM

It's complicated enough for a normal person, but for a Type 1 Diabetic, being sick is far more complicated (ketones, high / low blood sugars, etc). Thankfully he's at a place that specializes in diabetes care so if anybody can help him they can.

One of my normal friends had a similar episode and a year later he still has mind numbing headaches and a pool of blood in his brain that is taking forever to go away. It's really serious stuff.

Ksyrup 04-29-2010 03:07 PM

So he's still in critical (but stable) condition and they can't figure out where the bleeding is coming from, but... his tour will resume May 26th and he's still going to open for Skynyrd for 2 months? Um...?

Is this his people trying to put a positive face on a bad situation or trying to make him feel better about his prognosis, or is this story being blown out of proportion to sell magazines and concert tickets?

Kodos 04-29-2010 03:23 PM

I'm guessing they're just holding out until it is clear he won't be able to perform.

Kodos 04-30-2010 01:11 PM

hxxp://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100430/music_nm/us_bret_michaels_doctors_hopeful_full_recove

Bret Michaels doctors hopeful of full recovery

Reuters

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) – Doctors treating rocker Bret Michaels for a brain hemorrhage are hopeful he will make a full recovery, but regaining his health will be painful and could take weeks or months, the singer's publicist said on Tuesday.

Doctors said the Poison front man and "Celebrity Apprentice" TV contestant was lucky to have escaped death from the brain hemorrhage last week, and he is now in "positive spirits."

However, tests on Michaels, 47, revealed a potentially worrying side effect from the brain hemorrhage that could cause future seizures. So far, he has had no such seizures.

"Doctors state Michaels is very lucky as his condition could have been fatal. With further testing and rehabilitation, they are hopeful that Bret will gradually improve as the blood surrounding the brain dissolves and is reabsorbed into his system, which can be a very painful recovery and take several weeks to months," Tuesday's statement said.

"Michaels remains under 24-hour observation in the intensive care unit and is in positive spirits. He is responding well to tests and treatments...Doctors remain hopeful for a full recovery," it added.

Michaels, reported to be in an Arizona hospital, was described on Sunday as suffering from slurred speech and blurred vision.

His father, Wally Sychak, told celebrity news site Extra on Tuesday that he had spoken with his son by phone. "He sounded a little slow, but fine. He was talking, not as cheerful as he usually is. But I guess he is under sedation," Extra quoted Sychak as saying.

Messages of support from Michaels' celebrity friends and fans have flooded in, causing his official web site to crash or slow under the traffic.

"Your heart goes out to his family, your heart goes out to him. He's the nicest guy in the world," Sharon Osbourne, wife of British rocker Ozzy Osbourne and a contestant with Michaels on "Celebrity Apprentice" told celebrity magazine Us Weekly.

Michaels found fame in the 1980s at the helm of rock band Poison, whose hits include "Every Rose Has Its Thorn."

He later appeared in VH1's dating contest "Rock of Love" and on the current season of "The Celebrity Apprentice," which was filmed several months ago but is about halfway through its broadcast run on NBC.

Michaels was diagnosed with diabetes as a child and two weeks ago he had an emergency appendectomy, which he described afterward as a "wake-up call to be a little bit more diligent on keeping control of my health."

Swaggs 04-30-2010 02:21 PM

Glad his prognosis looks good.

Everytime this thread is bumped, I always think that he might have passed away. I'm not a big fan, but hopefully everything works out alright.

RedKingGold 04-30-2010 02:28 PM

I look forward to the next season of "Rock of Love: Help Me Shower."