Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   FOFC Archive (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Newest powerball winner close to home....... (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=77545)

Mizzou B-ball fan 04-23-2010 07:48 AM

Newest powerball winner close to home.......

28 year old from Marshall, MO wins $258M. Yes, it's a farming town. Yes, he's missing teeth. But it's great to see someone get the money who really needs it. Hopefully he heads directly to an accountant.

My father actually grew up on a farm just outside of the Marshall city limits. We have some family/friends that still live there. I'm sure the town folk are pretty excited about the whole deal.

For Powerball winner, life goes from not quite rags to definite riches - KansasCity.com

MacroGuru 04-23-2010 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan (Post 2271040)
28 year old from Marshall, MO wins $258M. Yes, it's a farming town. Yes, he's missing teeth. But it's great to see someone get the money who really needs it. Hopefully he heads directly to an accountant.

My father actually grew up on a farm just outside of the Marshall city limits. We have some family/friends that still live there. I'm sure the town folk are pretty excited about the whole deal.

For Powerball winner, life goes from not quite rags to definite riches - KansasCity.com

It's awesome to see a younger winner take it...I hope he is smart with it and does well for the rest of his life for him and his kids sake...

Mizzou B-ball fan 04-23-2010 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacroGuru (Post 2271045)
It's awesome to see a younger winner take it...I hope he is smart with it and does well for the rest of his life for him and his kids sake...

Said he had no clue what he was going to do with the money, but wanted to take his kids to Disney and let them do things he wasn't able to do when he was younger. I'm hopeful that since his first thought was what he could do for his kids, he's probably a guy who's relatively grounded.

MacroGuru 04-23-2010 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan (Post 2271056)
Said he had no clue what he was going to do with the money, but wanted to take his kids to Disney and let them do things he wasn't able to do when he was younger. I'm hopeful that since his first thought was what he could do for his kids, he's probably a guy who's relatively grounded.

The one thing that concerned me was the immediate arrival to the PB office...Usually it's one or two full days after because he is getting his ducks in a row with an account/lawyer/financial planner.

Mizzou B-ball fan 04-23-2010 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacroGuru (Post 2271064)
The one thing that concerned me was the immediate arrival to the PB office...Usually it's one or two full days after because he is getting his ducks in a row with an account/lawyer/financial planner.

It's a good point.

Situations like this where you have someone who only has a HS education are a good reason IMO for him to take the full amount rather than a lump sum. Even if he's irresponsible with it, he's still going to have a $10M check coming every year for the next 25 years. Yes, he may not be able to optimize the money from an investment perspective like some of us could, but I think it gives him the best chance to not overspend and allow him to make a couple of mistakes along the way without blowing it all.

Noop 04-23-2010 09:23 AM

I wish it was me.