Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   FOFC Archive (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Scouting: How many of you did it? (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=77359)

Poli 04-09-2010 12:23 PM

Scouting: How many of you did it?

Monday I was invited by a former player to attend his "crossover" or whatever it's called from Cub Scout to Boy Scout. Pretty nifty little event. It did make me wonder how many of the FOFC group has gone through this.

I didn't even know about Cub Scouts/Boy Scouts until 2nd grade. I didn't join until I was in 5th as a Webelos...I was so far behind the curve it wasn't funny. I wanted to continue but my dad saw it as a money pit and we moved on.

So any Scouts around here?

Mustang 04-09-2010 12:26 PM

Our church didn't allow it.

Considering we hardly ever went to church, you can translate that to 'Mom and Dad don't want to screw around with it so, we will just pull that excuse out of the bag and use it.'

path12 04-09-2010 12:26 PM

I went all the way through Cub Scouts and Webelos but never went beyond that. My stepson went quite a ways into Boy Scouts before discovering vice.

CleBrownsfan 04-09-2010 12:35 PM

I was like 10 badges away from Eagle Scout - I have some pretty awesome memories of summer camps, Klondikes, ect.

Don't know what Churches would have against scouts?

JonInMiddleGA 04-09-2010 12:35 PM

Briefly, about 3rd grade IIRC. Found it to be absurdly boring, more wracked with adults playing favorites than even rec league sports & dropped it in less than year.

MacroGuru 04-09-2010 12:39 PM

I went all the way up to my life rank...but I was a Catholic kid going to a mormon troop....I was beating out all the other kids, was going to aspire to my eagle before then and mysteriously my scout mastER lost everything......I called HQ and they had not received one bit of information from him...I was pissed and I walked away.

Glengoyne 04-09-2010 12:45 PM

Cub Scout. I wasn't really interested enough to push through to Boy Scout.

Chief Rum 04-09-2010 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 2261485)
Briefly, about 3rd grade IIRC. Found it to be absurdly boring, more wracked with adults playing favorites than even rec league sports & dropped it in less than year.

So you were even a judgmental brat as a child, too? :D

Chief Rum 04-09-2010 01:28 PM

My bro and I were Cub Scouts (briefly) and then Boy Scouts (slightly longer than briefly). I think I got two or three ranks in (Second Class, I think, not sure). Basically got close to HS age and got bored with it.

JediKooter 04-09-2010 01:37 PM

Never did it. Didn't know anyone that did it either.

heybrad 04-09-2010 02:25 PM

I did it and I'm still doing it. I'm an Eagle Scout. I'm currently the Scoutmaster for my church's troop. I worked Scout summer camps when I was a teenager. I have great memories of those times.

claphamsa 04-09-2010 03:11 PM

I was an eagle. it was a complete waste of time...

saldana 04-09-2010 03:49 PM

i made it to star and was a badge short of life before soccer became too time consuming and i gave up on BSA

Izulde 04-09-2010 04:33 PM

Went through Cub Scouts and got to Second Class in Boy Scouts, I think. But the troop was a bunch of assholes, so I quit.

Abe Sargent 04-09-2010 04:38 PM

I am an Eagle, and it was NOT a waste of time. proud to be a Boy Scout.

Greyroofoo 04-09-2010 04:39 PM

Eagle Scout here

Fun Times.

MacroGuru 04-09-2010 05:36 PM

One thing I did do once I hit High School, I organized an Explorer Scout troop.

Tigercat 04-09-2010 06:16 PM

Went through tiger cub(I think that's the youngest level? don't remember) cub scout to first class Boy Scout, was only a badge away from star and quit. Sort of regret it now I guess, but boys will be boys and all that.

boberot 04-09-2010 07:37 PM

Did all of the Cub Scout stuff, Webelos, and a year of Boy Scouts before I quit.

GrantDawg 04-09-2010 08:14 PM

All Cub Scouts, Webelos, and recieved the Arrow of Light. Never joined a Boy Scout troop, though. My son is a Tiger Scout.

Marc Vaughan 04-09-2010 09:57 PM

I did it in England but its VERY different there, in England its about learning self-sufficiency and doing things apart from your parents - whereas here it all seems to be family based and to encourage people to spend time with their kids, both are cool imho but it did surprise me just how differently things are done when I moved here.

(I have to admit I only actually completed things and stuck with it because they had a soccer team I wanted to continue playing in ;) )

RedKingGold 04-09-2010 10:21 PM

Yep, I'm an Eagle Scout.

EDIT: I actually ran the whole way from Tiger Scout (seven years old) to Eagle at 17. Went all through high school involved, would like to get back involved some day as an Asst. Scoutmaster.

Sgran 04-10-2010 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boberot (Post 2261664)
Did all of the Cub Scout stuff, Webelos, and a year of Boy Scouts before I quit.

Same here. I attended all of the meetings and usually one summer event, but missed most of the weekend hikes because of sports. I did one week of Scout Camp and enjoyed it. I have mostly fond memories and learned a few skills. My dad and I (mostly my dad) even won the local pinewood derby.

BYU 14 04-10-2010 08:46 AM

I was heavily involved in Cub scouts (Loved the Pinewood derby event each year) and drifted away in my teen years when I discovered what the word vice meant.

Tasan 04-10-2010 07:47 PM

Did most of Cub Scouts and some Boy Scouts. Moving around in an Army family kinda prevented me here and there from doing things all the time.

Right now, I'm a Den Leader for my oldest son's Cub Scout den. I'm having a good time, and my son is having a blast.

I have a brother-in-law who made Eagle and considers it a foundation of his life.

As far as parental involvement goes, in the Cub Scouts, its all about the family and the group experience. As they progress to Boy Scouts, it becomes more about the boys leading themselves and getting some adult guidance along the way.

JPhillips 04-10-2010 07:49 PM

I was a scout, but I half-assed it. Now that I'm grown up I wish I would have taken it more seriously.