Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   FOFC Archive (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Pollen wanna cracker? (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=77330)

JonInMiddleGA 04-07-2010 10:39 AM

Pollen wanna cracker?

Today's pollen count for Atlanta = 5,733

That's the second highest recording in history,trailing only the record of 6,013, set on April 12, 1999. And we haven't even gotten to pine pollen season yet.

Ah-choo.

sterlingice 04-07-2010 10:42 AM

I haven't seen the numbers, but anecdotally, it's awful in Richmond all this past week. There's yellow pine dust all over the cars and I've been sneezing up a storm.

SI

johnnyshaka 04-07-2010 10:47 AM

Interesting...my nearly 4 year old has been a wreck the past couple of weeks and with my wife having a lot of allergies I've been wondering if my daughter has been suffering from them as well. We haven't had her tested yet but we do have an appointment booked this week to hopefully get a referral to get her tested for allergies because this is getting ridiculous.

Boy, I'm glad I don't have issues with this kind of stuff.

Greyroofoo 04-07-2010 10:52 AM

So this proves Climate Change right?

JPhillips 04-07-2010 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greyroofoo (Post 2260186)
So this proves Climate Change right?

Please. It's the homos fault.

miked 04-07-2010 10:54 AM

Black car = teh suck.

I went to take out the recycling this morning and dropped the bin on the ground, was immediately engulfed in haze of yellow pine pollen. Yay for pine trees.

Mustang 04-07-2010 11:16 AM

Watch out, it could be The Happening

wade moore 04-07-2010 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sterlingice (Post 2260171)
I haven't seen the numbers, but anecdotally, it's awful in Richmond all this past week. There's yellow pine dust all over the cars and I've been sneezing up a storm.

SI

Yup - I've been outside most of the day for the last 5 days and it has been awful. We're doing a bunch of landscaping at my house and everything is yellow.

Pyser 04-07-2010 11:31 AM

rough in la, too, though im going by my nose, not actual pollen numbers

Easy Mac 04-07-2010 12:05 PM

Woo hoo! Greenville is #2 in the nation!! And only 2 days after Duke wins the national title? Everything is coming up easy mac.

Seriously though, about 90% of the cars are covered in yellowish-green pollen. I'm glad my car is in a garage all day and night. Strangely, my allergies were horrible last year, but so far I've been perfectly fine. knock on wood.

Easy Mac 04-07-2010 12:06 PM

dola Pollen.com - Free 4-Day Allergy Forecast for AUSTIN, TX

The pollen scale goes up to 12. Greenville is at 11.7.

JediKooter 04-07-2010 12:11 PM

I thought this post was going to be about white people...

miked 04-07-2010 12:44 PM

Supposed to rain tomorrow, maybe I'll park outside.

terpkristin 04-07-2010 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 2260169)

That's the second highest recording in history,trailing only the record of 6,013, set on April 12, 1999. And we haven't even gotten to pine pollen season yet.

Ah-choo.

Yowza!
Days like that, the allergy medicine doesn't even help much (for me, anyway). Here's to clear sinuses!

/tk

ISiddiqui 04-07-2010 01:10 PM

It looked like it snowed last evening with all the pollen on the cars last night and this morning. Unreal.

terpkristin 04-07-2010 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy Mac (Post 2260264)

Apparently Ashburn, VA is at 11.3 today. Yippy.

/tk

KWhit 04-07-2010 01:11 PM

You can actually see the yellow haze floating around in the air around here. It's awful.

sterlingice 04-07-2010 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy Mac (Post 2260264)

My zip (23294) is 11.6 and 11.4 the next 2 days ;)

SI

sterlingice 04-07-2010 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miked (Post 2260188)
Black car = teh suck.

I too have this problem right now.

Oh, and as for someone to blame, why not go with the cause of all of the world's problems: the Commienazis ;)

SI

wade moore 04-07-2010 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sterlingice (Post 2260307)
My zip (23294) is 11.6 and 11.4 the next 2 days ;)

SI

Same.

I, funny enough, have a yellow car.

It's bad when you can see the pollen on a yellow car.

Thomkal 04-07-2010 04:00 PM

well at least you get a change of color for free this time of year as I sit here typing looking out at the used to be red bricks in my patio.

Wolfpack 04-08-2010 10:40 PM

Raleigh's forecast is about 10 or so on that site for the next few days. I can't imagine it being worse than last weekend, though. It was an absolute yellow haze all over here. If you looked at a tree at the right time, you could see the pollen coming off in waves. At night under lampposts, it looked like it was snowing. Thank God I'm not allergic (though it's been so dusty, I've even had to sneeze a few times regardless).

Tasan 04-09-2010 10:58 AM

I know our Oak pollen count has been 2-3x higher than average. I hate allergies.

Passacaglia 04-09-2010 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 2260169)

Ah-choo.

I don't know what 'pine pollen' season is, but since the last time the record was set was April 12, why does this count for April 7 seem unseasonable?

TroyF 04-09-2010 12:03 PM

I had an unscheduled training in Norcross this week. It was in two days, out so I didn't have time to visit any FOFCers.

I could not believe the pollen. My allergies went haywire. My eyes are still watering and I've been back two days.

On an aside, what is that Weslyen School? They had a ball field and football stadium and some colleges would be proud of. (it was next to our hotel and we walked through the campus)

I'm guessing it's a private HS? Amazing place.

JonInMiddleGA 04-09-2010 12:11 PM

[quote=TroyF;2261462]
Quote:

On an aside, what is that Weslyen School? They had a ball field and football stadium and some colleges would be proud of. (it was next to our hotel and we walked through the campus) I'm guessing it's a private HS? Amazing place.

Private K-12 I believe. I may (or may not) have mentioned this place in the HS football thread earlier this year. It's frickin' amazing, closest thing I could come up with as a comparision is like the Duke campus on a smaller scale. Their chapel alone (used for school related functions only as I understand it) likely has more square footage than most of the private schools in the state. Just a gorgeous setting, gothic influenced architecture, football stadium puts some small colleges to shame. State championships in virtually every sport in the past decade, several of them are back to back or even four peats (and counting). And the kids are both well mannered & smart.

Tuition is about $16k a year through gr 4, $17k for middle school, $18.3k for grades 7-12 ... mandatory annual giving not included in those figures. Total K-12 enrollment about 1,100.

edit to add: My son took one look at the campus while we were trying to find a Friday night parking space, his jaw kept dropping lower & lower, I said "don't even think about it" and kept walking ;)

JonInMiddleGA 04-09-2010 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Passacaglia (Post 2261443)
I don't know what 'pine pollen' season is, but since the last time the record was set was April 12, why does this count for April 7 seem unseasonable?

Usually the onset of pine pollen is around the peak for the year, around the middle of the month or so, so odds are we haven't seen the worst of it yet.
The mean peak value from '92-07 is around 1,250 ... we've been more than 4 times that this week already and even after pretty decent rainfall yesterday (which normally washes the particles out of the air) we're still at 1,941 today.

TroyF 04-09-2010 01:52 PM

[quote=JonInMiddleGA;2261463]
Quote:

Originally Posted by TroyF (Post 2261462)

Private K-12 I believe. I may (or may not) have mentioned this place in the HS football thread earlier this year. It's frickin' amazing, closest thing I could come up with as a comparision is like the Duke campus on a smaller scale. Their chapel alone (used for school related functions only as I understand it) likely has more square footage than most of the private schools in the state. Just a gorgeous setting, gothic influenced architecture, football stadium puts some small colleges to shame. State championships in virtually every sport in the past decade, several of them are back to back or even four peats (and counting). And the kids are both well mannered & smart.

Tuition is about $16k a year through gr 4, $17k for middle school, $18.3k for grades 7-12 ... mandatory annual giving not included in those figures. Total K-12 enrollment about 1,100.

edit to add: My son took one look at the campus while we were trying to find a Friday night parking space, his jaw kept dropping lower & lower, I said "don't even think about it" and kept walking ;)

I can see how your son had his jaw drop. I was simply amazed. We watched their baseball team get a walk off win and then went to the football field and watched the soccer match for awhile. We were floored by both stadiums. I can't imagine playing in anything remotely like either in my junior high/high school days.

18 grand a year? Yeah, if I have a kid and live in GA, we'd keep on walking as well. :)