Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   FOFC Archive (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Question about Magazines (especially Men's / Outdoors ones) (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=77233)

bob 03-30-2010 04:18 PM

Question about Magazines (especially Men's / Outdoors ones)

My brother and I both subscribe to a lot of magazines, and one of my big complaints about Men's / outdoors magazines is that even when they claim to be doing an article about real men, they focus on trips / activities / workout schedules / etc that are out of the reach of the average man. My brother thinks that is what makes these magazines so popular.

I figured that there is a pretty diverse group of people here, so I was wondering what you all would prefer - focusing on "real" trips or the constant high end trip of a life time type. We have been talking about a project coming up, and the results of this might influence us on what direction that project takes.

JonInMiddleGA 03-30-2010 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob (Post 2255343)
My brother and I both subscribe to a lot of magazines, and one of my big complaints about Men's / outdoors magazines is that even when they claim to be doing an article about real men, they focus on trips / activities / workout schedules / etc that are out of the reach of the average man. My brother thinks that is what makes these magazines so popular.

That's because the average subscriber for the titles are generally well above the income range of "the average man". Median HH income in the US was $44,389, median HH income for an Outdoor Life subscriber is about $55k, the bottom of the fourth quintile for income. Median HH income for Maxim subscribers is over $64k, middle of the fourth quintile for income.

Quote:

I figured that there is a pretty diverse group of people here, so I was wondering what you all would prefer - focusing on "real" trips or the constant high end trip of a life time type. We have been talking about a project coming up, and the results of this might influence us on what direction that project takes.

Now that's a different matter, I'm not a big magazine consumer because there really isn't enough in them that interests me for the price of the magazine (or the time investment). But my (nearly 43 y/o married WM) interest in reading on trip material is exponentially higher for realistic trips than for pie-in-the-sky stuff ... strictly FWIW of course.

bob 03-30-2010 05:16 PM

Thanks for the feedback. The idea wasn't just a magazine about trips and stuff, but some sort of online magazine that focuses on men without 1) maxim girls and 2) tons of articles about stuff that the average man either doesn't care about or can't afford. The occasional mountain climbing article is fine. The one called "the everyman's trip to " in which they talk about quitting your job and funding a 3 month expedition is not.

Desnudo 03-31-2010 07:43 AM

What does the average man mean to you?

Draft Dodger 03-31-2010 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desnudo (Post 2255668)

two words: pumpy tudors

I. J. Reilly 03-31-2010 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 2255346)
Median HH income for Maxim subscribers is over $64k, middle of the fourth quintile for income.

Really? I always thought of Maxim as an early 20's demo. Of course I haven't looked at one in years, so maybe it's changed some.

lungs 03-31-2010 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I. J. Reilly (Post 2255727)
Really? I always thought of Maxim as an early 20's demo. Of course I haven't looked at one in years, so maybe it's changed some.

Must be a lot of men who still think they are in their early 20's.

JonInMiddleGA 03-31-2010 09:53 AM

Quote:

Apparently there are some well to do youngsters out there
Maxim subscriber profile
- 73%- Age 18-34
· 27- Median age
· $64,428- Median household income
· 61%- Single
· 66%- College graduate
· 39%- Homeowner

edit to add: Notice the numbers for single & homeowner? I'm guessing there's quite a few Maxim subscriptions being delivered to the subscriber's parents house.

DaddyTorgo 03-31-2010 09:57 AM

not with that being the (median) income level...probably a lot of renting bachelors - particularly with the high % of college graduates

bob 03-31-2010 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desnudo (Post 2255668)

Well, I never thought of "average" in terms of income but rather in that most guys (single or married) can't take 3 months off to do a expedition or pay $5000+ for a 4 day trip.

The idea was to do something similar to The Escapist but focusing on men's interest rather than video games.

DanGarion 03-31-2010 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob (Post 2255373)
Thanks for the feedback. The idea wasn't just a magazine about trips and stuff, but some sort of online magazine that focuses on men without 1) maxim girls and 2) tons of articles about stuff that the average man either doesn't care about or can't afford. The occasional mountain climbing article is fine. The one called "the everyman's trip to " in which they talk about quitting your job and funding a 3 month expedition is not.

If there are no maxim girls I have no desire to read it...

JonInMiddleGA 03-31-2010 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo (Post 2255742)
not with that being the (median) income level...probably a lot of renting bachelors - particularly with the high % of college graduates

Notice that it's the median "Household" income level, not personal or individual income level. That was what I was pointing to, although I was being somewhat facetious as well.

DanGarion 03-31-2010 10:06 AM

Quote:

Maxim went to shit the last couple years. (was a subscriber from the 1st issue till this year when I let it expire).

JonInMiddleGA 03-31-2010 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob (Post 2255744)
The idea was to do something similar to The Escapist but focusing on men's interest rather than video games.

Hmm ... lemme see here, men's interests but:
Not focused on hot chicks
Not focused on bucket list trips
Not focused on video games

So basically it's going to be nothing but big screen tv's, sports, and booze?
:D