Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   FOFC Archive (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Spiders (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=73954)

MikeVic 08-10-2009 09:33 PM

Spiders

Ok, so there's this spider in my backyard that has an abdomen a bit bigger than my thumb nail (I'm scared of spiders, so this alone freaks the hell out of me... biggest spider I've seen in anyone's backyard here ever)... however, I didn't get a good look at it yesterday.

This evening, I saw it again on its web... and although I won't get close because I'm scared as hell of it, it seems to be like an orangish colour with a dark line underneath. It didn't look like an hourglass shape to me, but there's no way I'm getting close to this thing again to take a picture or anything, other than to kill the fucker.

Since I'm a bit scared it could be a black widow or something (I don't even know if that's possible here, but I think it is), what's the safest way to kill this thing? Buy the most powerful spider spray and unleash?

Sweed 08-10-2009 09:38 PM

I have no idea what kind it is but I would suggest killing the fucker before it lays eggs;)

RendeR 08-10-2009 09:38 PM

RAID

stand about 3 feet away and spray away. (keep your nose covered so you don't inhale the stuff)

Lathum 08-10-2009 09:39 PM

eat it

DaddyTorgo 08-10-2009 09:40 PM

i was just looking but i'm not sure from the description what kind it could be

Sweed 08-10-2009 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RendeR (Post 2092091)
RAID

(keep your nose covered so you don't inhale the stuff)

Or you could inhale the stuff, give yourself a good buzz, and then eat it:D

CU Tiger 08-10-2009 09:42 PM

black widow's are tiny....we have them all in our barn.

DaddyTorgo 08-10-2009 09:43 PM

where in canadia are you mikevic?

MikeVic 08-10-2009 09:48 PM

Manitoba.

I just unleashed half a can of RAID on the thing while holding a flashlight. Hopefully didn't inhale too many fumes. I hope it's dead.

RainMaker 08-10-2009 09:49 PM

Sounds like an orb weaver if it was on a web. They are harmless, won't try and get in your house, and will probably eat a shitload of musquitos, flies, and fleas. Just leave it alone. You should also just watch them during the day. It's pretty awesome to see them building their webs and catching their prey.

DaddyTorgo 08-10-2009 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeVic (Post 2092109)
Manitoba.

I just unleashed half a can of RAID on the thing while holding a flashlight. Hopefully didn't inhale too many fumes. I hope it's dead.

you didn't stick around to see and take a pic for us?

DaddyTorgo 08-10-2009 09:53 PM

Spider identification

MikeVic 08-10-2009 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo (Post 2092113)
you didn't stick around to see and take a pic for us?

I'll take a picture tomorrow morning if the body's there. It's too dark right now.

MikeVic 08-10-2009 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainMaker (Post 2092112)
Sounds like an orb weaver if it was on a web. They are harmless, won't try and get in your house, and will probably eat a shitload of musquitos, flies, and fleas. Just leave it alone. You should also just watch them during the day. It's pretty awesome to see them building their webs and catching their prey.

Sorry, it was freaking me out. If I post a picture and someone identifies it as an orb-weaver, I'll know for future reference and not kill it if one comes back. The web it made was in a bad spot that will always get sprayed with water too, and I delayed watering my backyard in order to see the thing once more. I remember it being interesting looking, not scary like I saw today. I've always been afraid of spiders.

I did see it eating a wasp or something yesterday morning when I first saw it, but since it freaked me out more than anything I didn't take video or anything, and then when I went back outside it was gone.

RainMaker 08-10-2009 09:56 PM

She look like this? This was one behind my place last year.

DaddyTorgo 08-10-2009 09:59 PM

i'm totally cool with spiders outside. it's when they're inside that i get all ninja-assassin on them - especially if they're in my bedroom or bathroom.

Schmidty 08-10-2009 09:59 PM

I love threads like this. The only things I'm not scared of are spiders and bugs, so the wussies in these threads make me happy. :)

MikeVic 08-10-2009 09:59 PM

I didn't get too good a luck tonight since it's dark, so hopefully the body is there tomorrow and I can take a close-up picture. The web for sure looks familiar, but at least from my distance the line on the underside didn't look like it connected to the butt.

Even looking at the picture gives me the creeps though, so the spider probably just picked the wrong backyard to be in. :(

MikeVic 08-10-2009 10:02 PM

Thanks for the quick responses guys though.

MikeVic 08-10-2009 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schmidty (Post 2092132)
I love threads like this. The only things I'm not scared of are spiders and bugs, so the wussies in these threads make me happy. :)

:mad:

Fidatelo 08-10-2009 10:05 PM

It was probably just a daddy longlegs. We don't really have much in the way of spiders up here that I've ever seen.

Scoobz0202 08-10-2009 10:07 PM

I think I have had a moth invasion in my bedroom. I have killed probably 11 in the past two nights.

I have now learned just how big of a pussy I am about bugs. I am afraid of moths. And have spent the past two hours searching to see where the fuck they are coming from..

I pulled the cover off my window air conditioner and found 2 inside there.

FUCK THIS

MikeVic 08-10-2009 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fidatelo (Post 2092146)
It was probably just a daddy longlegs. We don't really have much in the way of spiders up here that I've ever seen.

Lol! I knew it wasn't a daddy long legs!! I wanted a pic of it because no one believes me when I try to describe the spider, which freaked me out more.

ColtCrazy 08-10-2009 10:09 PM

Guess you know it's definitely not a black widow. We have those around here, although the brown recluse is far worse (and 3 times the size).

Up north, I hear you get something called a Wold Spider. I've seen pictures of those, those things would freak me out.

I hate spiders, and I'm still scared of them. However, my son and wife are so terrified, I have to kill them around here. I HATE that job.

My fear of spiders came when I was about 8. I ran into a spider web that had about a 3 inch long yellow and black spotted spider that ended up on my chest. I freaked out and hit in my bedroom the rest of the day.

MikeVic 08-10-2009 10:13 PM

When I was a kid, even the feel of spiderwebs freaked me out. That fake Halloween stuff was torture for me. I'm not as bad anymore, but they still freak me out.

DaddyTorgo 08-10-2009 10:15 PM

World's Largest Spider eating dinner - Watch more Funny Videos

MikeVic 08-10-2009 10:16 PM

OMG why DT why

Scoobz0202 08-10-2009 10:16 PM

mother fucker

DaddyTorgo 08-10-2009 10:17 PM

hahahahahaa

because goliath bird eating spiders (okay so they're actually tarantulas) are AWESOME!!!!

don't worry though - if you don't go to south american jungles you'll never run into one

Philliesfan980 08-10-2009 10:21 PM

Ugh, just in time for bed!

RainMaker 08-10-2009 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeVic (Post 2092133)
I didn't get too good a luck tonight since it's dark, so hopefully the body is there tomorrow and I can take a close-up picture. The web for sure looks familiar, but at least from my distance the line on the underside didn't look like it connected to the butt.

Even looking at the picture gives me the creeps though, so the spider probably just picked the wrong backyard to be in. :(

Orb Weavers are all different colors. It's the web that really defines them. They are also one of the few "large" spiders that would be in your area. If it was a Wolf Spider, the web wouldn't look like that.

Scary spider story. My brother was in the Galapagos with his girlfriend who is from there. They hike up a hill during the day and reach the top right around dusk. Turn around and the entire path is covered in spider webs being built for the night. Decent sized tropical ones. He said he took a stick and just started hacking through the mess on his way down. Said it was directly out of a horror film. At one point he thought it might be best to just sprint down as fast as he could with his eyes closed and then try and get them all off. Said it took over an hour to get down and couldn't get his body to stop shaking for 30 minutes.

k0ruptr 08-10-2009 10:37 PM

WTF fuck those spiders. Sweet Nightmares for me tonite.

illinifan999 08-10-2009 10:50 PM

If you can get your hands on a nuclear missile, I would suggest that.

M GO BLUE!!! 08-10-2009 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeVic (Post 2092109)
Manitoba.

Ain't this pretty much what got Michael Vick in trouble in the first place? :D

tarcone 08-10-2009 11:01 PM

For about 2 weeks, we had a spider building a web at night outside the sliding glass door off my kitchen. The bugs are attracted to the light so it was the motherload for this spider. Routinely, I would walk out the back sliding glass door in the morning and get a face full of web. It took about 5 times of doing this before I started clearing it out with the piece of wood that helps lock the door.

Groundhog 08-10-2009 11:14 PM

Pfft. You guys should make your way over to Australia. We've got all kinds of nasty spiders and bugs to keep you up at night. ;)

samifan24 08-10-2009 11:19 PM

I hate spiders. Always have.

Rizon 08-10-2009 11:35 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I get this one in my house. I dunno what it is, but it doesn't build webs, kinda sneaks around, it jumps. I get bit at night by them so they're not poisonous. The last one was a couple weeks ago, I'd say about 2 inches with it's legs.

Lorena 08-11-2009 01:01 AM

PETA does not approve of this thread.

gkb 08-11-2009 03:07 AM

Rizon, I would move if I were you. I freakin' hate spiders.

Marc Vaughan 08-11-2009 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rizon (Post 2092228)
I get this one in my house. I dunno what it is, but it doesn't build webs, kinda sneaks around, it jumps. I get bit at night by them so they're not poisonous. The last one was a couple weeks ago, I'd say about 2 inches with it's legs.

That looks like some sort of alien scout to me - expect his fleet to arrive shortly ...

DaddyTorgo 08-11-2009 08:05 AM

Quote:

looks like a grass spider?

Spider Identification Chart - Venomous or Dangerous?

if it was a hobo spider and biting you you'd be toast by now...lol

CraigSca 08-11-2009 08:14 AM

I love the caption for the mouse-eating spider video: "World's Largest Spider eating dinner - Watch more Funny Videos"

boberot 08-11-2009 08:15 AM

Quote:

I'm no expert, but I think you have yourself some Fishing Spiders.

Dolomedes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

boberot 08-11-2009 08:18 AM

Oops. I think DT is right, now that I look . . . .

chesapeake 08-11-2009 08:36 AM

So I'm sitting here at my desk reading a thread about spiders and I see some movement out of the corner of my eye. There, running for daylight, is Rizon's little buddy.

That is pretty random.

Spiders are OK in my book -- I certainly like them much better than the mosquitos and other assorted bugs they consume. However, I do have one rule. Inside is my place, outside is theirs. This little guy broke the rules and had to be punished. He got the business end of my paperclip holder.

DaddyTorgo 08-11-2009 08:39 AM

i'm no expert either, but i'd say grass or hobo. hobo fits the habitat more likely, but if hobos were biting him every night he'd know it i guess.

RomaGoth 08-11-2009 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schmidty (Post 2092132)

So, you ARE afraid of:

little girls
kittens
a coffee cup
paperclips
grass
the moon
the internet
bicycles
farts
math
paper
food

But, you are NOT afraid of spiders and bugs? :confused:

flere-imsaho 08-12-2009 09:19 AM

You should view ghastly spiders as an opportunity:

1. Take picture of said spider, preferably next to something that exaggerates its size.

2. Show picture to wife (only works with arachnophobic wife).

3. Congratulations, you now have spousal permission to buy a flamethrower!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groundhog (Post 2092219)
Pfft. You guys should make your way over to Australia. We've got all kinds of nasty spiders and bugs to keep you up at night. ;)

I've spent a grand total of 8 hours in Australia (on a layover from NZ to Hawaii) and I spent the entire time certain a snake, spider, jellyfish or shark was going to kill me. True story. How the hell do you people not live in fear?

MikeVic 08-12-2009 09:31 AM

Well, I found the dead body but it didn't make for a good picture. Hard to see the details since it's all shriveled up. However, I did spot the exact same spider near my AC unit!! I'll leave that one alone, but now I'm worried that maybe it was a guy and girl spider and they already have babies somewhere. :banghead: