Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   FOFC Archive (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Old Lucasarts games on Steam (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=73429)

Peregrine 07-07-2009 01:09 AM

Old Lucasarts games on Steam

This looks fun, I really enjoyed a lot of these games when they first came out.

Kotaku - LucasArts' Rereleases Classics on Steam - News

A bevy of classic LucasArts games are coming to Steam over the next month, LucasArts Games announced this morning. First news of the announcement came from LucasArts' Twitter feed: "So lets see who will be happy: LucasArts has partnered with Steam. Digital adventurey goodness."
The back-catalog hitting Steam's PC on-demand gaming service includes LOOM, The Dig, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, and Star Wars Battlefront II.
"This effort is going to make it possible to introduce a whole new generation of gamers to LucasArts' classic games," said Darrell Rodriguez, president of LucasArts. "It also gives more people a chance to play our games by making them available long after they've disappeared from store shelves. We hope our fans are as excited as we are about our plans and we can't wait to share what's coming next. This is just the beginning."
The first round of releases will hit Steam on July 8 and includes these titles:
• Armed and Dangerous
• Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
• Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade: The Graphic Adventure
• LEGO Indiana Jones: The Original Adventure
• LOOM
• Star Wars Battlefront II
• Star Wars Republic Commando
• Star Wars Starfighter
• The Dig
• Thrillville: Off the Rails
The partnership is the latest in LucasArts' push to revitalize their older portfolio of games.
Tomorrow, Telltale's Tales of Monkey Island game series hits the PC, delivering a new storyline that will unfold across five monthly episodes. On July 15 LucasArts publishes The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition, a re-imagined version of the first game in the series that adds updated high definition graphics, a re-mastered musical score, and full voiceover to the classic adventure game originally launched in 1990.

cuervo72 07-07-2009 08:28 AM

I just want Maniac Mansion and Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders for the C64 to appear on the Wii Virtual Console.

gstelmack 07-07-2009 08:30 AM

Any idea if they've been updated to be Vista compatible or anything?

Calis 07-07-2009 09:32 AM

The Dig interests me. I'd like to try that one again. The Indy games were good times also.

Not too interested in the rest. I would love to see Maniac Mansion on there.

I would think some of the X-Wing games being put on there would be very exciting for a lot of people also.

RomaGoth 07-07-2009 10:00 AM

Star Wars Republic Commando was a great game, one of the best squad based games I have ever played.

spleen1015 07-07-2009 10:02 AM

No Grim Fandango = fail

molson 07-07-2009 10:08 AM

Maniac Mansion was a weird game

DanGarion 07-07-2009 10:17 AM

What, no Tie Fighter?

Greyroofoo 07-07-2009 10:51 AM

I would give my soul for a new X-Wing/ Tie Fighter game

StLee 07-07-2009 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spleen1015 (Post 2066213)
No Grim Fandango = fail

I agree. Also, Full Throttle.

Peregrine 07-07-2009 11:40 AM

Well they haven't included Grim Fandango yet - I think they may include it in future waves of games.

weegeebored 07-07-2009 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greyroofoo (Post 2066282)

Yeah, I can't believe it hasn't been done already. Hell, I would settle for a graphics update of X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter / Balance of Power. Oooooo the multiplayer goodness....

Eaglesfan27 07-07-2009 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greyroofoo (Post 2066282)

Heh, I wouldn't go that far but that is the one old game that I most want to see updated.

Calis 07-07-2009 03:54 PM

I think Grim Fandango runs pretty easily in the newer Windows versions so I imagine it was pushed back a bit. One of my all-time favorites.

You know this news reminds me how badly I want a re-release of The Last Express. Really want to play that again and long ago lost it. I know its not Lucasarts(Broderbund I think, so I don't know who the hell would have it now).

molson 07-07-2009 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calis (Post 2066582)
I
You know this news reminds me how badly I want a re-release of The Last Express. Really want to play that again and long ago lost it. I know its not Lucasarts(Broderbund I think, so I don't know who the hell would have it now).

Loved that one.

Is there anything out there like that today? I know the adventure genre basically died but I wonder if there's any niche games out there I missed.

Calis 07-07-2009 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by molson (Post 2066591)
Loved that one.

Is there anything out there like that today? I know the adventure genre basically died but I wonder if there's any niche games out there I missed.

Hell there wasn't anything like that out back then either. :) I can't think of another game like it and disappointed it did so poorly which I'm sure turned off anyone to trying it. I know it was expensive and Broderbund died right when it released I believe so there was no push or anything for it.

Would love to see something like it.

There are still some pretty decent Adventure games out there but much more indie and lower budget than in the LA/Sierra days for sure.

For a little dash of old school I have been playing Broken Sword on the DS which was just released a few months ago in a directors cut version and it is great. Really enjoying it.

Would love to see more of these games get DS or even Iphone/Touch treatment. Perfect devices for them.

Calis 07-16-2009 08:16 PM

I bought the remake of Secret of Monkey Island today and have put a little bit of time into it. Absolutely fantastic remake. It looks awesome. They did a great job beefing it up while keeping it pretty true to the original. They even included this really cool option to switch to "Classic" mode to see the original at the click of a button, so you can really see how close it is.

They've beefed up the music and voices as well. If you were at all a fan of the original or never got to play it and enjoyed some other LucasArts or Telltale adventure games pick it up. The dialog still holds up well, and while it does have the obligatory Adventure game insanity when it comes to puzzles I always thought the MI games toned that down quite a bit from say making a fake mustache out of cat hair and maple syrup.

It's only $10 also, so great value. I suggest buying it so Lucasarts gets the idea and does this to several of the older games. I'd absolutely love to see Maniac Mansion get this treatment, and I think it would also hold up extremely well, as would Day of the Tentacle.

Atocep 07-16-2009 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calis (Post 2075631)
I bought the remake of Secret of Monkey Island today and have put a little bit of time into it. Absolutely fantastic remake. It looks awesome. They did a great job beefing it up while keeping it pretty true to the original. They even included this really cool option to switch to "Classic" mode to see the original at the click of a button, so you can really see how close it is.

They've beefed up the music and voices as well. If you were at all a fan of the original or never got to play it and enjoyed some other LucasArts or Telltale adventure games pick it up. The dialog still holds up well, and while it does have the obligatory Adventure game insanity when it comes to puzzles I always thought the MI games toned that down quite a bit from say making a fake mustache out of cat hair and maple syrup.

It's only $10 also, so great value. I suggest buying it so Lucasarts gets the idea and does this to several of the older games. I'd absolutely love to see Maniac Mansion get this treatment, and I think it would also hold up extremely well, as would Day of the Tentacle.

I played through the 1st episode of the new Monkey Island game and its pretty solid. Sticks to the original formula pretty well although its really hard to grade since its just the first of a 5 part series.

DaddyTorgo 04-18-2010 09:34 PM

any thoughts on battlefront II?

Buccaneer 04-18-2010 11:01 PM

Quote:

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis

Probably the hardest adventure game I had ever played.

Would love to see Full Throttle on the list too.

MIJB#19 04-19-2010 04:24 PM

Interesting bump as it just happens to be that the past two hours, I've been playing Day Of The Tentacle. Through Dosbox, though.

MJ4H 04-19-2010 04:39 PM

I want X-Wing with at least 800x600 graphics.

Eaglesfan27 04-19-2010 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ4H (Post 2267460)
I want X-Wing with at least 800x600 graphics.

Big plus 1 and when this thread was bumped, I was hopeful that was part of the reason.