Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   FOFC Archive (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Laptop Dummy Question (battery) (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=40028)

Adamski47 06-21-2005 08:38 AM

Laptop Dummy Question (battery)

Dumb question that I know a ton of you will know:

I have a laptop, HP Pavilion zv5000. The battery in it has basically been sucked down to a life of about a half hour (from 2 to 2.5 hours before).

Anyway, my gf has one that allows you to leave the 'top plugged in without draining the battery once it becomes full; sort of like a cell phone charger. What is this? Can I get this for my laptop? Her's is a few months newer than mine but I doubt this is STATE OF THE ART TECHNOLOGY or anything.

I get screwed because at work I have to up and leave my cpu a lot and I just forget all of the time to unplug the AC power.

Thank you.

DaddyTorgo 06-21-2005 03:00 PM

good question. i have a zv5000 too and would be mucho interested in a "smart charger" like this.

HomerJSimpson 06-21-2005 03:35 PM

I don't get the question. I have a zv5000 series laptop, too, but if my battery is fully charged and the AC adapter is plugged in, it only uses the adapter. That isn't what you're talking about?

Adamski47 06-21-2005 04:12 PM

I dunno, the logo changes from the lightning bolt to a plug once it is fully charged which would make me thing it IS working like I want it to (and like you said) but my battery life has just been awful lately. I bought the laptop in Dec 2004.

Apparently it is killing my battery and I remember a few people warning me about leaving it plugged in.

Do they make a battery that wont die? Can you give me some more info as to how (maybe some CPU changes/settings) you have it working the right way?

Thank you.

3ric 06-21-2005 04:34 PM

How old is the laptop? Batteries aren't going to last forever unfortunately.

Adamski47 06-21-2005 07:39 PM

I bought the laptop in Dec. So the battery will die out even if it is meant to be "left plugged in?"

Thanks. I'd still LOVE for someone to really explain this. I'm looking for (or hoping the one I have already does) a battery for my laptop that acts like a battery for a cell phone; in which you can leave the laptop plugged in even after the battery is finished charging and no damage will be done to the laptop battery.

DanGarion 06-21-2005 07:42 PM

If it's less then a year old I would contact HP. Sounds like a defective battery, those things should last over 3 years and to my knowledge the system should automatically do the "trickle" charge like that. Older ones might not have done that but new ones should. Just like most if not all batteries in laptops nowadays shouldn't act that way.

finkenst 06-21-2005 07:54 PM

HP should be fairly good to work with...

I bought a zv5340 in december 2004 as well...

i've not had that battery problem though.

weinstein7 07-05-2005 04:09 PM

Bump.

My laptop battery is also dead, and I have to buy a new one. I've been looking around on the internet, and I've found a few possible sites to order from, although none of them look particularly reputable.

Anyone have a suggestion on where to get a replacement battery?

I could also use a recommendation for a wireless networking card if anyone has one.