Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   FOFC Archive (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   April 15th - Tea Party Day? (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=71877)

RainMaker 04-14-2009 08:45 PM

April 15th - Tea Party Day?

So I guess tomorrow is the big day for all the tea parties/bagging that will take place across the country. Is anyone here going to it? What exactly happens at it?

The whole thing has me a bit confused. Is it a Republican thing now? I know the Republicans hated Ron Paul during the primaries so I find it weird they are stealing his supporter's ideads now and trying to claim them as their own.

cartman 04-14-2009 08:48 PM

It seems to be mainly a Fox News driven event. But if they hope to get more widespread support, they had better hope scenes like this one from a previous event are the exception, rather than the rule.

flounder 04-14-2009 08:49 PM

Yeah, I wonder where all these people were when Bush was busting budgets left and right.

Logan 04-14-2009 08:54 PM

I plan on doing some teabagging tomorrow.

sterlingice 04-14-2009 09:03 PM

The Daily Show With Jon StewartM - Th 11p / 10c
IndigNation! Populist Uprising '09 - The Enragening
thedailyshow.com
Daily Show
Full Episodes
Economic CrisisPolitical Humor

As usual, the Daily Show says it best

SI

albionmoonlight 04-14-2009 09:06 PM

Protests have to walk a fine line. You need to get big enough to get noticed, but the bigger you get, the less coherent your message.

JediKooter 04-14-2009 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cartman (Post 1992414)
It seems to be mainly a Fox News driven event. But if they hope to get more widespread support, they had better hope scenes like this one from a previous event are the exception, rather than the rule.

At 1:58 in the clip, is that Senator McCarthy that started talking?

sterlingice 04-14-2009 09:50 PM

Yes, it's still the Commies!

SI

lungs 04-14-2009 09:51 PM

Predictions:

1. Conservatives declare this a resounding success.

2. Liberals mock Conservatives.

3. Conservatives blame liberal media.

Greyroofoo 04-14-2009 10:20 PM

Where were these people when Bush was running massive deficits?

I would go but it just seems to be a bunch of conservative circle jerks.

SirFozzie 04-14-2009 10:26 PM

and let's not get into the latest ravings of the Michelle Malkinvanian....

lungs 04-15-2009 09:09 AM

I'll bet these protesters are the same people that mocked the anti-war protesters during the last administration. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

As one conservative blogger says when he mocks liberal protesters, most of us are too busy, you know, working.

molson 04-15-2009 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lungs (Post 1992769)
I'll bet these protesters are the same people that mocked the anti-war protesters during the last administration. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

As one conservative blogger says when he mocks liberal protesters, most of us are too busy, you know, working.

And I'm sure the that people that mock this are the same people that defend similar pointless protests on the other side.

If you don't agree with it, it's dumb to do.

It's really lame to mock people who are making a political statement, and it doesn't make you any better, or forgiveable to say, "duh...they do it too"....When we don't even know if that's true across the board, or what % we're talking about. If it's one individual person you can point to, that's one thing. But to mock the whole thing - you're just as bad as any republican who does that, and you can't see that because you're so sure you're "right".

JPhillips 04-15-2009 09:34 AM

I saw a sign for the Dayton teabagging that used "Taxation Without Representation" at the top. When did Ohio lose its two Senators and eighteen representatives?

Fuckin' Obama.

sterlingice 04-15-2009 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPhillips (Post 1992794)
I saw a sign for the Dayton teabagging that used "Taxation Without Representation" at the top. When did Ohio lose its two Senators and eighteen representatives?

Fuckin' Obama.

So, lordscarlet was lying. He was in Dayton, not Nats Opening Day on Monday

SI

lungs 04-15-2009 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by molson (Post 1992782)
And I'm sure the that people that mock this are the same people that defend similar pointless protests on the other side.

That was my point.

Quote:

It's really lame to mock people who are making a political statement, and it doesn't make you any better, or forgiveable to say, "duh...they do it too"....When we don't even know if that's true across the board, or what % we're talking about. If it's one individual person you can point to, that's one thing. But to mock the whole thing - you're just as bad as any republican who does that, and you can't see that because you're so sure you're "right".

I'm not sure if you're trying to accuse me of having a double standard here because I happen to disagree with intent of the tea parties but that's not the case. The observation I am making, is actually something we are agreeing on.

Somewhere, at one of these tea parties, somebody is going to say something very stupid. The other side will pounce on that and portray it as a broad brush of the conservative movement. We're recycling the same bullshit that happened with the war protests.

Nothing earth shattering here. I'm not mocking one side. I'm mocking both sides, because their positions were reversed a few short years ago. I may agree with one side on policy, but the mechanisms both sides use are laughable because I'd guess that a majority of people in this country don't give a shit. Sometimes I wish I didn't give a shit.

chinaski 04-15-2009 10:30 AM

This rightfully deserves to be mocked, imo. Its never been a grassroots movement, its the astroturf of protests. This is funded by corporate pacs and propagated by Fox News. Never did war protests have corporate backing and media sponsorship. Never did you see CNN trumpet 24/7 to rally the people to come out to a war protest. War protests grew organically, these teabagger protests were formed via a top down process.

JPhillips 04-15-2009 10:35 AM

I think a better example were the immigration rallies from a couple of years ago. Some of those were huge and they relied on word of mouth and Spanish language radio.

Noop 04-15-2009 11:38 AM

Tea Party? We're American make it a beer party or a coffee party sponsored by Starbucks and catered by Dunkin Donuts.

JediKooter 04-15-2009 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noop (Post 1992860)
Tea Party? We're American make it a beer party or a coffee party sponsored by Starbucks and catered by Dunkin Donuts.

Or the Beer and Hot Chicks Scantily Clad party.

Ksyrup 04-15-2009 11:49 AM

One of these is going on about a half-block from my building, and I can see/hear it from up here. Looks like maybe 100-150 people.

And while I support the notion, I also can't help but laugh at this (at least, the first minute or so before it gets serious):

&nbsp
&nbsp

Noop 04-15-2009 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cartman (Post 1992414)

This people are fucking nutcases. Burn the books? Don't send your kids to college? These people need serious help.

sterlingice 04-15-2009 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 1992866)
And while I support the notion, I also can't help but laugh at this (at least, the first minute or so before it gets serious)

Actually, the last part where he makes a Dick Armey joke is pretty good, too ;)

SI

Flasch186 04-15-2009 01:03 PM

Quote:

or patriotic. I mean, you know, to dissent or voice any contradictory opinion to the Government is unpatriotic. Remember.

Ronnie Dobbs2 04-15-2009 01:05 PM

Both sides act the same in and out of power. And message board arguments are the same no matter who is in power, just with the sides switched.

RainMaker 04-15-2009 01:17 PM

Quote:

I don't have a problem with the protests and I don't necessarily think they're dumb. I do think this one is a little humorous though. I mean the people protesting didn't care about any of this when Bush was doing the same exact shit Obama is doing (bailouts and big spending).

The rally by me though seems to be going well.

molson 04-15-2009 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flasch186 (Post 1992891)
or patriotic. I mean, you know, to dissent or voice any contradictory opinion to the Government is unpatriotic. Remember.

Who said that?

Oh right, "some of these same people". That's such a dumb logic no matter what sides it comes from.

So anybody who say, voted for Obama, is invalidated/hypocritical/whatever because of any fringe nutjobs that might have also voted for Obama?

molson 04-15-2009 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainMaker (Post 1992897)
I don't have a problem with the protests and I don't necessarily think they're dumb. I do think this one is a little humorous though. I mean the people protesting didn't care about any of this when Bush was doing the same exact shit Obama is doing (bailouts and big spending).

The rally by me though seems to be going well.

That picture reminds me of the political threads here. (not everyone of course).

Generally, sheep = people that disagree with you.

Is it possible for a Democrat to recognize Democrat sheep? Or a Republican to recognize Republican sheep? It never happens.

Fighter of Foo 04-15-2009 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 (Post 1992892)
Both sides act the same in and out of power. And message board arguments are the same no matter who is in power, just with the sides switched.

For the people who are loyal to their teams, sure. There are a few people who don't self-identify with one of the two factions and are capable of independent thought.

molson 04-15-2009 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fighter of Foo (Post 1992907)
For the people who are loyal to their teams, sure. There are a few people who don't self-identify with one of the two factions and are capable of independent thought.

The "team" aspect of politics sucks so much, the collective feeling of superiority over other groups. It really destroys any chance of progress.

Ronnie Dobbs2 04-15-2009 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fighter of Foo (Post 1992907)

Based on my experience there's a lot more of the former than the latter.

RainMaker 04-15-2009 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by molson (Post 1992902)
That picture reminds me of the political threads here. (not everyone of course).

Generally, sheep = people that disagree with you.

Is it possible for a Democrat to recognize Democrat sheep? Or a Republican to recognize Republican sheep? It never happens.

I think sheep are people just go along with something because they are told to. Happens on both sides. When Daily Kos has a post on it and everyone on that side goes bezerk for it. Or when Glenn Beck tells people to protest the government for some reason (I really don't even know what this is about).

The country lacks independent thought. People just turn on Olbermann or O'Reilly and let them tell them what to think. Both sides care more about a D or R next to the name than the actual substance. Obama could recite a Reagan speech word for word and there would be people on the right bashing it.

Big Fo 04-15-2009 02:51 PM

BURN THE BOOKS

which ones?

The evolution ones!

Galaril 04-15-2009 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Fo (Post 1992961)
BURN THE BOOKS

which ones?

The evolution ones!

That and the "Pinko Commies are using digital tv to brain wash you guy" are fucking hilarious.

Greyroofoo 04-15-2009 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galaril (Post 1992989)
That and the "Pinko Commies are using digital tv to brain wash you guy" are fucking hilarious.

Hey!

That guy works in marketing so he knows what he's talking about :jester:

Subby 04-15-2009 03:44 PM

This just in: white people be crazy!

cartman 04-15-2009 03:56 PM

Wow.

Granted, I did see a lot of "Bush is a fascist" signs at rallys over the past 8 years, but whenever I saw a person asked why they thought that, they would give some sort of reason, even though it never fit the definition of fascism. Not continually say "It is because that's what he is".

Galaril 04-15-2009 04:01 PM

I guess at a rally in TX the governor said that tax should think of seceding form the US. Wow, just incredible.

Governor Says Texans May Want to Secede From Union But Probably Won't - Presidential Politics | Political News - FOXNews.com

JPhillips 04-15-2009 04:14 PM

What a dumbass. Everybody knows the real secessionists call themselves Texians.

http://www.texasrepublic.info/

Subby 04-15-2009 04:15 PM

Texas seceding would solve so many problems for the US. Starting with the Dallas Cowboys.

molson 04-15-2009 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galaril (Post 1993017)
I guess at a rally in TX the governor said that tax should think of seceding form the US. Wow, just incredible.

Governor Says Texans May Want to Secede From Union But Probably Won't - Presidential Politics | Political News - FOXNews.com

The article actually says the opposite, but whatever, why let the facts get in the way of a rant.

"During his speech to hundreds in a U.S. flag-waving crowd, there were several shouts of "Secede!"

Later, answering news reporters' questions, Perry suggested Texans might at some point get so fed up they would want to secede from the union. However, Perry says he sees no reason why Texas should make such a move."

cartman 04-15-2009 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by molson (Post 1993032)
The article actually says the opposite, but whatever.

"During his speech to hundreds in a U.S. flag-waving crowd, there were several shouts of "Secede!"

Later, answering news reporters' questions, Perry suggested Texans might at some point get so fed up they would want to secede from the union. However, Perry says he sees no reason why Texas should make such a move."

That article did not include a quote that Perry made during the same Q&A session where he didn't completely disavow the thought:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont....d8880855.html

Quote:

"There's absolutely no reason to dissolve it. But if Washington continues to thumb their nose at the American people, you know, who knows what might come out of that."

sterlingice 04-15-2009 04:23 PM

Headline by the crack team at Fox News.com

SI

Big Fo 04-15-2009 04:24 PM

If Texas were to secede that would make two countries capable of playing football. We could start lobbying the IOC to have it be part of the Olympics, possibly by 2016. That'd be kind of cool imo, and a far better to watch than dancing with ribbons.

Klinglerware 04-15-2009 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPhillips (Post 1993028)

Talk about push polling:

Quote:

Originally Posted by texasrepublic.info FAQ

You have only 3 1/2 years left to freely choose whether you wish to be part of the republic of Texas Nation with freedom to retain all of your rights;
-or-
REMAIN a corporate slave to your NEW MASTER NATION

Erm... I'll take "remain a corporate slave" for the win, Alex

Galaril 04-15-2009 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by molson (Post 1993032)
The article actually says the opposite, but whatever, why let the facts get in the way of a rant.

Ah......rant... yeah sure . The sentence above and as Cratman linked too he never disavowed the thought and made aveiled threat at the least.But sure whatever you like see counselor.

molson 04-15-2009 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galaril (Post 1993047)
Ah......rant yeah sure whatever. The sentence above but sure whatever you like counselor.

Even the sentence above (that you didn't link, and thus probably didn't know about it when you made your post), doesn't state that:

"the governor said that texas should think of seceding form the US"

That's a big difference. You lied, and I called you on it.

(Only using "lie" because you can't acknowledge an oversight, you're actually sticking with what you said. It's just annoying).

If I made a similar false claim about an Obama position, you'd react similarly.

path12 04-15-2009 04:58 PM

I haven't paid a ton of attention to this other than snickering about the whole 'teabagging' thing but there is one thing I truly don't understand -- if 95% of folks have their taxes unchanged or lowered under Obama's plan, what is the reason for taking it to the streets?

Senator 04-15-2009 05:14 PM

As the elected Senator of the FOFC, I declare my exhaustion after a day of teabagging. It puts the lotion on its skin.....

SirFozzie 04-15-2009 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by path12 (Post 1993067)
I haven't paid a ton of attention to this other than snickering about the whole 'teabagging' thing but there is one thing I truly don't understand -- if 95% of folks have their taxes unchanged or lowered under Obama's plan, what is the reason for taking it to the streets?

Because Obama has not been able to put his attempts to raise the taxes of the over 200K crowd through Congress yet (the closing of loopholes), these folks see no way that Obama can pay for the spending without a huge tax raise.