Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   FOFC Archive (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   DC traffic question (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=74601)

miked 09-17-2009 01:39 PM

DC traffic question

I have to do a thing in Frederick MD in October and it lets out around 5:45 or so. The lastest flight I can get out of IAD, DCA, BWI to ATL is 9pm out of DCA. How bad is traffic going in to DC around that time? Mapquest says it's about 55 miles to DCA from Frederick, but obviously I'd have around 2 hours to make that trip (max). Is this do-able? Thanks.

sterlingice 09-17-2009 01:41 PM

Can't help you with the drive, but from what I understand- good luck getting a parking space at DCA. You will be going against traffic, so that's helpful. But I dunno- sounds like a tall order.

SI

Alan T 09-17-2009 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miked (Post 2120006)
I have to do a thing in Frederick MD in October and it lets out around 5:45 or so. The lastest flight I can get out of IAD, DCA, BWI to ATL is 9pm out of DCA. How bad is traffic going in to DC around that time? Mapquest says it's about 55 miles to DCA from Frederick, but obviously I'd have around 2 hours to make that trip (max). Is this do-able? Thanks.

The last time I had to drive from MD to DCA when I was in town for business, I had to go from Gaithersburg to DCA at around 5pm. It took me roughly 2 1/2 hours to make the drive as the traffic on the highway was pretty much like I-285 during rush hour in Atlanta. I missed my flight time by close to 45 minutes. The funny thing was my plane had mechanical issues and a 3 hour delay. Everyone on my flight was pissed off.. except for me. :)

Anyways, i don't travel to D.C. much so don't know if my experience was normal or abnormal.

Subby 09-17-2009 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miked (Post 2120006)

You'll be fine.

Just take I-270 to I-495 S to GW Parkway to Reagan. Unless you have cataclysmic traffic you should be able to get there in under 2 hours.

Subby 09-17-2009 01:50 PM

Alternately, you could try taking 15 S from Frederick to the Greenway (a toll road) in Virginia. The Greenway will take you straight to Dulles. I haven't done that before, but I can't imagine it would be all that bad - particularly since you'll be avoiding 270 and the beltway.

miked 09-17-2009 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sterlingice (Post 2120011)
Can't help you with the drive, but from what I understand- good luck getting a parking space at DCA. You will be going against traffic, so that's helpful. But I dunno- sounds like a tall order.

SI

I'll be flying from ATL, renting a car, and driving to Frederick.

terpkristin 09-17-2009 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subby (Post 2120026)
Alternately, you could try taking 15 S from Frederick to the Greenway (a toll road) in Virginia. The Greenway will take you straight to Dulles. I haven't done that before, but I can't imagine it would be all that bad - particularly since you'll be avoiding 270 and the beltway.

He's going to DCA, not IAD. If he were flying into Dulles, I'd agree 100% I'd say it's a no-brainer to use 15 to get between Fredneck and Dulles.

From BWI, it's about 1 hour-ish without traffic (maybe a smidge more) to Fredneck.

At 9 p.m. once you're out of the city traffic shouldn't be bad unless they're doing construction. It still will be a long drive, but traffic at that time should be OK.

Man, for Frederick, I'd almost recommend Dulles Airport. Takes me 45 minutes to get to Frederick from my house just north of there if I use the Greenway. About an hour if I use 7.

/tk

miked 09-17-2009 02:26 PM

Yeah, I'm split...I can fly Delta to DCA and leave any time I want on Wednesday, and try to get out Thursday at 9pm. IAD and BWI to ATL have last flights at 6pm :(

I can also try United, they fly out of IAD at 10pm, but I'd have to get there at like 3pm the prior day because there are only 3-4 flights.

miked 09-17-2009 02:26 PM

Yeah, I'm split...I can fly Delta to DCA and leave any time I want on Wednesday, and try to get out Thursday at 9pm. IAD and BWI to ATL have last flights at 6pm :(

I can also try United, they fly out of IAD at 10pm, but I'd have to get there at like 3pm the prior day because there are only 3-4 flights.

Subby 09-17-2009 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terpkristin (Post 2120071)
He's going to DCA, not IAD. If he were flying into Dulles, I'd agree 100% I'd say it's a no-brainer to use 15 to get between Fredneck and Dulles.

He mentioned flying out of Dulles as an option in his original post.

But hey - thanks for correcting me. :thumbsup:

Subby 09-17-2009 03:05 PM

Anyway like I said in my original post - you are fine getting to DCA if you leave Frederick on time.

Bisbo 09-17-2009 03:22 PM

I assume you're talking about a weekday. If its a Saturday or Sunday, absolutely no problem. If its a weekday, Subby is right about 80% of the time, but you could also hit really, really bad traffic if there's an accident, or if its raining. Also, some of the car rental places are off-airport at DCA, although I think all the major ones let you return the car there. You're probably OK, but I wouldn't say any extended goodbyes after your meeting.

Toddzilla 09-17-2009 04:05 PM

I'm placing odds at 3-1 *against* making the 9PM flight.

You're going to have to be pulling into DCA at 7:30 at the latest in order to turn in your rental, go through security on a Friday night in DC with the million other travelers, congressmen, and tourists leaving the city, and make it to the gate in time to check in before they close the doors 20 minutes before the flight leaves.

Unless you leave at 5PM, I say NO chance you make it.

QuikSand 09-17-2009 04:17 PM

This is a snap through BWI.

miked 09-17-2009 04:17 PM

Hmmm...this could make me some money (or lose me some badly). It's a Thursday evening, and I'm still torn. I may end up doing the United flight in and out of IAD and just suck up being there a little early.

JPhillips 09-17-2009 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSand (Post 2120181)

That was my thought as well.

terpkristin 09-17-2009 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSand (Post 2120181)

It's a snap through IAD and BWI. The trick with DCA is the city factor which is impossible at best to plan for. For IAD or BWI, it's straight-forward and against the normal flow of traffic for that time of evening. Having done the BWI-Frederick drive once or twice and the Dulles area-Frederick drive many times, I think BWI-Frederick is a little longer than IAD-Frederick, but either would work, probably better than DCA, and both are straight-shots/direct.

/tk

cuervo72 09-17-2009 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subby (Post 2120026)

It's not - this is the route we prefer to take when going there.

BWI isn't bad either - 70 to the Baltimore beltway, then you're on that for a few miles until you hit 95, which you're on not even a mile before going to 195. Either airport is fine.

We've never flown out of Reagan National.

(we've gone through Hagerstown though to Orlando Sanford, which is really pretty nice...terminal about the size of the one on Wings)

Subby 09-17-2009 07:24 PM

Well you never have to actually go through DC to get to DCA and you are going against rush hour traffic for a good portion of the trip (your biggest issue is going to be when you are on the outer loop of the beltway, and I think that would be about 10 miles.)

If DCA has the most flexible flight options, then it is probably worth it.

claphamsa 09-17-2009 08:29 PM

wow

claphamsa 09-17-2009 08:29 PM

oppps

claphamsa 09-17-2009 08:30 PM

well shit!

Bisbo 09-17-2009 10:21 PM

If it were me, I'd book the 10 pm out of IAD. If you get there early (and you will) - BEER.

cuervo72 09-17-2009 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subby (Post 2120280)
Well you never have to actually go through DC to get to DCA and you are going against rush hour traffic for a good portion of the trip (your biggest issue is going to be when you are on the outer loop of the beltway, and I think that would be about 10 miles.)

If DCA has the most flexible flight options, then it is probably worth it.

Is it even that much? Going down to the Portals I think we take 15/270/495/GW Parkway - doesn't seem like we're on the beltway very long at all.

Main part I would worry about is 270. Even in off-hours it can be a crapshoot (traveled it yesterday actually, at about 5:30; was fine. Have had times on the way *back* where we've been slowed to a crawl at like 10PM).

Logan 09-18-2009 07:52 AM

This thread makes me very thankful for the Acela train.

chesapeake 09-18-2009 08:46 AM

Even with difficult traffic, 2 hours should be plenty of time. Just be sure that you do all the things you can so you're not wandering around aimlessly once you get to the Airport.

On the plus side, getting through security should be easier than normal. TSA puts their A team on the line at National on the Thursday and Friday evening shifts to ensure that their budget doesn't get cut.

cuervo72 09-18-2009 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chesapeake (Post 2120562)
TSA puts their A team on the line at National on the Thursday and Friday evening shifts to ensure that their budget doesn't get cut.

I have to disagree here. There's no way they're getting BA in an airport.

sterlingice 09-18-2009 09:34 AM

Not without drugging his milk and putting him on a plane first

SI

chesapeake 09-18-2009 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuervo72 (Post 2120581)
I have to disagree here. There's no way they're getting BA in an airport.

Good point. And even if they did, he'd set off every metal detector in a half-mile radius.

miked 05-17-2010 02:03 PM

Gonna bump this. I have to travel to Bethesda next month and my meeting ends around 4pm. It seems like IAD and DCA are both about 20 miles away, is there one that will be better that time of day? I'd like to hit a 7pm flight or so, if I'm in a cab/car by 4:30, it shouldn't be a problem? I couldn't imagine it would take 2 hours to go 20 miles, but one never knows. Thanks!

terpkristin 05-17-2010 02:14 PM

Don't know about Metro accessibility from Bethesda, but if you can get to Metro, DCA might be alright.

IAD should be fine once you get around the beltway, but it's always a crapshoot. Could easily take an hour to get to the Dulles Access Road, at which point it'd take another 20ish (depending on how fast the cab drives) to get to the airport.

/tk

JPhillips 05-17-2010 02:16 PM

Your quickest bet is probably Metro to DCA.

chesapeake 05-17-2010 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPhillips (Post 2284562)
Your quickest bet is probably Metro to DCA.

It is also your most reliable. The Metro website (wmata.com) says that you can catch the 4:37 out of Bethesda and be at DCA in about 40 minutes, switching to the Blue line in Metro Center.

miked 05-17-2010 02:33 PM

Awesomeness. Looks like it's about 2-2.5 miles from the hotel, but considering it costs $3.50 or something as opposed to $40+tip, I'll take it. Thanks!