Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   FOFC Archive (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Polish President dies in airplane crash (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=77370)

Edward64 04-10-2010 07:51 AM

Polish President dies in airplane crash

Polish President and a bunch of other government officials killed in a plane crash.
Polish president killed in plane crash - CNN.com
Quote:

Polish President Lech Kaczynski was killed early Saturday along with his wife, several top military officials, and the head of the national bank when their plane crashed at a western Russian airport, officials said.

"There are no survivors," said Sergey Antufyev, the governor of Smolensk, where the plane was trying to land when it crashed.

A spokesman for Poland's Foreign Ministry, Piotr Paszkowski, said earlier that it was probable that everyone on board was killed.

Information varied on how many people were on board the plane. The Polish Foreign Ministry and Defense Ministry said 89 people died in the crash. The Russian Investigation Committee said there were 132 people on the plane.
Quote:

Kaczynski's Law and Justice Party released a list of some of those it said were killed in the crash. They included Aleksander Szczyglo, the head of the National Security Office; Jerzy Szmajdzinski, the deputy parliament speaker; Andrzej Kremer, the deputy foreign minister; and Gen. Franciszek Gagor, the army chief of staff, according to the party.

"The entire top military brass, including the chief of defense and all the services, were on the plane," said Tomas Valasek, of the Center for European Reform. "If that is true, then you're looking at a situation, in effect, of the decapitation of the military services."
I guess the equivalent is airforce one going down. When US Presidents fly overseas, do other high-level officials fly on separate planes?

Swaggs 04-10-2010 09:04 AM

It sounds like there were a number of congressional and cabinet members as well as union, business, security, and religious leaders aboard, as well.

What a devastating loss.

stevew 04-10-2010 09:31 AM

As far as I know, Edward, there's always a cabinent member or vice president in a secure location. Even during the State of the Union there will always be one cabinent member missing. We wouldn't have all our eggs in one basket like this.

Bad-example 04-10-2010 09:38 AM

I want the people to know that they still have two out of three branches of the government working for them, and that ain't bad.

mauchow 04-10-2010 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad-example (Post 2261796)
I want the people to know that they still have two out of three branches of the government working for them, and that ain't bad.

Mars Attacks? Jack Nicholson.

Kodos 04-10-2010 09:53 AM

ACCK-AKKKK-ACK!

MrBug708 04-10-2010 10:09 AM

Isnt that how Jack Ryan became President in the Tom Clancy series?

sovereignstar 04-10-2010 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBug708 (Post 2261805)

Ping: Tomas Clanciski

Big Fo 04-10-2010 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBug708 (Post 2261805)

Kind of. The President wasn't on a plane in that case. An airline pilot crashed a 747 into the Capitol building during a joint session of Congress, killing most of the people inside including the President.

Warhammer 04-10-2010 11:39 AM

Its probably just me, but with everything going on over there right now, I can't help but think that Putin is behind it.

CleBrownsfan 04-10-2010 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warhammer (Post 2261826)
Its probably just me, but with everything going on over there right now, I can't help but think that Putin is behind it.

Sad but this is the same thought I had

lungs 04-10-2010 11:47 AM

Poland's President is largely ceremonial. Kind of pointless to target him, no? Maybe the other power brokers on board though.

Noop 04-10-2010 12:47 PM

Could this be the prelude to a World War?

MrBug708 04-10-2010 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Fo (Post 2261814)
Kind of. The President wasn't on a plane in that case. An airline pilot crashed a 747 into the Capitol building during a joint session of Congress, killing most of the people inside including the President.

Yup. I meant that everyone was in one place other then Ryan

Greyroofoo 04-10-2010 01:08 PM

Quote:

Good thing too.

According to msnbc, Putin is personally taking charge of the investigation!

MrBug708 04-10-2010 01:12 PM

Quote:

JediKooter 04-10-2010 01:30 PM

I just heard that Putin is bringing in some guy by the name of Plissken to join the investigation.

PilotMan 04-11-2010 09:38 PM

This whole thing is terribly tragic. That's a crazy editorial cartoon. I can't believe that it isn't getting more coverage. And yeah, my first thought was conspiracy. From the sounds of the reports Russian ATC wanted the pilot to divert, but over there, because of radar issues, the pilot is allowed to override the ATC. So apparently he did. They shot an approach to landing that doesn't involve vertical guidance, just lateral, and with the fog, it sounds like he cheated, and hit the trees.

JonInMiddleGA 04-11-2010 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PilotMan (Post 2262365)
This whole thing is terribly tragic. That's a crazy editorial cartoon. I can't believe that it isn't getting more coverage. And yeah, my first thought was conspiracy. From the sounds of the reports Russian ATC wanted the pilot to divert, but over there, because of radar issues, the pilot is allowed to override the ATC. So apparently he did. They shot an approach to landing that doesn't involve vertical guidance, just lateral, and with the fog, it sounds like he cheated, and hit the trees.

Much like you, my first thought was conspiracy but everything seems to be pointing to pilot error.

stevew 04-11-2010 10:31 PM

I'm stunned that I haven't received one off color polish joke text message yet.

Cringer 04-12-2010 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevew (Post 2262389)
I'm stunned that I haven't received one off color polish joke text message yet.

Q: Did you hear about the new automatic Polish parachutes?
A: They open on impact.

That what you wanted?

cartman 04-26-2010 10:04 PM

Ok, this just sounds like the plot of a daytime soap opera:

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/news...-to.6254665.jp

Quote:

The identical twin of the Polish president killed in a plane crash in Russia this month has announced he will try to continue his brother's legacy by running for the presidency.

molson 04-26-2010 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cartman (Post 2273198)

Oh shit, an evil twin!

Unless......the polish president was never really killed!

MrBug708 04-27-2010 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cartman (Post 2273198)

Is Bill Pullman Polish?

Dutch 04-27-2010 05:03 AM

This reminds me of an old book, "Road to Gandolfo" by Robert Ludlum. :)