Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   FOFC Archive (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   IWS #112 - Results (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=40074)

QuikSand 06-22-2005 12:54 PM

IWS #112 - Results

I’M WITH STUPID #112 – REVEALED!

I think the balance to strike in creating IWS questions is a delicate one… you don’t really want runaway single answers, but I think you do want the people who get the ‘right” response to be properly rewarded. For me, this has become the most interesting part of the puzzle - I like competing, but I really like thinking about the psychology of this game a lot.

Hey, whatever keeps you going, right?

On with the show…

1. At what temperature does it become “too hot” for you outside?

90 degrees – 19
100 degrees – 8
95 degrees – 3
85, 99, 80

Solid spread… maybe a bit tilted. Tough to contend if you didn’t say 90, though. Pretty much an eliminator question. But perhaps a justifiable one.

2. Name a song that makes you think of summertime.

Summertime – 20
Summertime Blues – 3
Surfin’ USA – 2
Kokomo
Dancing in the Streets
School’s Out
California Girls
I Get Around
Doin’ Time
In the Summertime
Dick Dale – anything

Ugh. My fault. My use of the word “Summertime” in the clue probably hurt this question severely, and my being unaware that the ever-unctious Will Smith had recoreded a song by this name fairly recently was a death knell. I don’t know if his is just a remake of the classic song that Sam Cooke perfected… but it doesn’t matter with Stupid. Eliminator question. My bad.

3. Name an amusement park not affiliated with Six Flags or Disney.

Busch Gardens – 9
Cedar Point – 6
Universal Studios – 5
King’s Island – 3
Coney island – 2
Dollywood
Astroland
King’s Dominion
Dorney Park
Wally World
Sea World
Legoland
Epcot

A couple ways to go here – you could try to think of the most widespread park system not excluded by the question (probably Busch Gardens, though Universal is worthy) or you could go for the single greatest park not excluded (probably Cedar Point). I guess the rest could have been failed tries along the same lines, but I am happy with this question, and the sort of IWS thinking it required.

And only Maple Leafs was completely disqualified from the entire contest by pointing out my misspelling. That was refreshing, I was prepared to mete out more discipline.
I am amused, however, that not a single soul mentioned anything else about the original thread’s wording…

4. What water temperature is perfect for a swim in the ocean?

80 degrees – 10
70 degrees – 9
75 degrees – 6
85 degrees – 2
65 degrees – 2
90, 78, 72

Proper IWS thinking recognized Stupid’s well documented fondness for round numbers, so otherwise ideal answers like 72 were in serious jeopardy right from the start.

5. Name a food that you would bring to the beach.

sandwiches – 14
chips – 8
hot dogs – 2
beer – 2
clams
turkey
brats
chicken
burgers
watermelon
apple

Not the spread I would have expected, honestly. This question would likely have been my downfall if I had entered. Tough to know exactly what instinct this one counted on – it’s a pretty clear consensus for the top two answers, though.

6. Name a non-food object that you would bring to the beach.

towel – 20
sunscreen – 3
frisbee – 3
beer – 2
blanket
umbrella
radio
beach ball
swimsuit

I though this was the question most in jeopardy of being an eliminator – and I probably should have followed my hunch and dumped it. I don’t like it when one answer gets 2/3 of the total responses like it did here.

And while I completely understand the thinking behind all the other answers… you have to admit that the sole answer of “swimsuit” does raise some questions about either (a) the power of semantics with my using a word like “bring,” or else (b) the sort of beaches most of you hang out at.

And one aside here – I am regularly surprised by the number of people who submit their responses with a note clearly indicating the one response they believe to be a loser. Probably one in five people send in a set with a note saying “Number five is going to kill me” or the like. And usually, they are right on target. I have done it myself, even. I wonder what it is that speaks loudly enough to us to tell us that a specific answer is no good, but fails to send us in a better direction? I think about these things.

Without further metaphysical musings, the results:

95-pound weaklings, getting sand kicked in face

Code:

ThunderingHERD                        410,400
mhass                        328,320
flere-imsaho                        259,200
MIJB #19                        239,400
Wolfpack                        201,600
RadioFriendlyUnitShifter                        201,600
Psmith                        164,160
lighthousekeeper                        143,640
rkmsuf                        121,600
RPI-Fan                        91,200
Pyser                        47,880
albionmoonlight                        44,800
KWhit                        25,200
Chas in Cinti                        18,240
weinstein7                          8,208
Silver Owl                          6,480
Shorty3281                          4,800
kingfc22                          3,192
vexroid                          2,052
Archer219                          1,920
TaxFTW                              760
SelzShoes                              180
st. cronin                                40

Grape Smugglers

Code:

Klinglerware                        840,000
Radii                        820,800
TredWel                        806,400
Solecismic                        684,000
finkenst                        576,000
panerd                        478,800
TRO                        478,800

Plum Smugglers

Code:

General Mike                        957,600
TheLionKing                        957,600

and your once and future IWS king…

Charles Atlas

Subby 2,304,000

So, with that, we presumably put IWS on hiatus for the summer. As we know, it will take weeks and weeks for Subby’s wheels to turn here, but in the tradition of the Car Talk Puzzler, it’s probably fair to give the IWS a little summer vacation.

Thanks for playing, everyone, and for the new powers you have vested in me heretofore!

Subby 06-22-2005 01:01 PM

I AM ABOVE THE LAW!

NoMyths 06-22-2005 01:08 PM

Sam Cooke didn't perfect Summertime -- Janis Joplin did.

mhass 06-22-2005 01:15 PM

You sissies like some hot ocean water. That's what swimming pools are for you twits.

korme 06-22-2005 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSand
Ugh. My fault. My use of the word “Summertime” in the clue probably hurt this question severely, and my being unaware that the ever-unctious Will Smith had recoreded a song by this name fairly recently was a death knell.

Not that it's a big deal, but Will Smith didn't put out that song recently. Has to be over 10 years old.. he was still going by "Fresh Prince" at the time.

korme 06-22-2005 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhass
You sissies like some hot ocean water. That's what swimming pools are for you twits.

Hmm, you're right. I think I disregarded the ocean part and thought about how it's always nice to swim in my pool at 80 degrees. It's actually more likely had I thought about actual ocean swimming, I'd have figured 70 degrees was good.

rkmsuf 06-22-2005 01:31 PM

How could you not at least know of the Will Smith song?

I hear they even play that on bird watch outings because the birds dig it.

QuikSand 06-22-2005 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shorty3281
Not that it's a big deal, but Will Smith didn't put out that song recently. Has to be over 10 years old.. he was still going by "Fresh Prince" at the time.

Your idea of "recent" amuses me.

korme 06-22-2005 01:36 PM

Fairly recently? So big hair bands were fairly recently popular.

Your idea of recently amuses ME!

Wolfpack 06-22-2005 02:50 PM

Dammit. That song thing absolutely killed me. I thought about "Summertime", but for whatever reason decided against. If I had chosen that one right, I would have won. *grumblegrumble*

TazFTW 06-22-2005 04:25 PM

Ouch.

I thought about Summertime but decided to go with Surfin' USA because of the two mentions of Beach.

I also had no idea what to go with for beach food because I never bring food to the beach (usually only a drink or two). We usually just get something to eat afterwards. Freakin' living in Hawaii. :mad:

TLK 06-22-2005 04:30 PM

I was a victim of Cedar Point as it's right down the street from me, but I should of thought of Busch Gardens. I figured I had the beach item nailed with sunscreen... stupid towel...

General Mike 06-22-2005 04:30 PM

My best finish ever, and still not good enough.

Damn you Butters!

finkenst 06-22-2005 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TazFTW
Ouch.

I thought about Summertime but decided to go with Surfin' USA because of the two mentions of Beach.

I also had no idea what to go with for beach food because I never bring food to the beach (usually only a drink or two). We usually just get something to eat afterwards. Freakin' living in Hawaii. :mad:

oh yes.. the heart bleeds for you living in hawaii....

besides, you just walk the soft slope and get food on the beach in hawaii.
:)

TRO 06-22-2005 07:00 PM

Damn frisbee :(

st.cronin 06-22-2005 10:20 PM

dead last?

TazFTW 06-23-2005 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finkenst
oh yes.. the heart bleeds for you living in hawaii....

besides, you just walk the soft slope and get food on the beach in hawaii.
:)

E Tu?

hxxp://www.nationallampoon.com/hubs/botw_frames/Triumph_Does_the_Weather.html

MIJB#19 06-23-2005 05:00 AM

Don't you Americans bring a swimsuit to the beach? Your mass nudity cost me the victory!

By the way, I did mentioned the 'amusement part', but forum troubles made my original pm disappear before ever being sent. :P

JeeberD 07-06-2005 04:42 PM

So, uh, Subby...

Raiders Army 07-06-2005 05:30 PM

I wondered if this died while I was on vacation...I see that it's a "yes".

Desnudo 07-06-2005 06:26 PM

Maybe 2nd place could step up?

General Mike 07-07-2005 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desnudo
Maybe 2nd place could step up?

I'll send TLK a PM about getting something done.

Subby 07-07-2005 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSand
So, with that, we presumably put IWS on hiatus for the summer. As we know, it will take weeks and weeks for Subby’s wheels to turn here, but in the tradition of the Car Talk Puzzler, it’s probably fair to give the IWS a little summer vacation.

Sorry - I thought we were putting this to bed for the summer. I am more than happy to put one up!

flere-imsaho 07-07-2005 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subby
Sorry - I thought we were putting this to bed for the summer. I am more than happy to put one up!

I'm pretty sure QS was being sarcastic....

Subby 07-07-2005 09:57 AM

You sure are pretty.

flere-imsaho 07-07-2005 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subby
You sure are pretty.

I'm just going to put this banjo down and walk away, mmmkay?

korme 07-07-2005 10:08 AM

Wow, QS really was accurate at the bottom of his original post. How ironically funny.

QuikSand 07-07-2005 01:23 PM

*sigh*