Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   FOFC Archive (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Kick-Ass (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=77460)

Raiders Army 04-18-2010 10:48 AM

Kick-Ass

Clearly, this movie deserves its own thread. It is definitely better than Mark Millar's other comic-movie, Wanted (although I thought that one was good). We saw it yesterday and the wife liked it better than Avatar.

Hit Girl simply stole the show.

Travis 04-18-2010 11:08 AM

Felt like Watchmen Jr. to me (which is a good thing, I'm a big fan of Watchmen). Was actually a bit worried at the start that a movie like this could inspire a lot of people to try this out in day to day life, but the "realism" that followed put a lot of those worries to rest. Found myself enjoying the movie more and more as it went along and may catch it again in theaters (a rarity for me) to see how it stands up to a second viewing.

Ronnie Dobbs2 04-18-2010 11:46 AM

Would have been much better if it were titled Hit Girl. Awesome when she was on-screen, dragged when she wasn't.

JonInMiddleGA 04-18-2010 12:21 PM

{scratches head} Based on the trailers, I've been wondering how this was going to pull .50 in revenue, I'm guessing that I'm definitely not the target.

the_meanstrosity 04-18-2010 11:01 PM

I was unable to see it this weekend, but I will be seeing it next week. I'm a little wary of Nicolas Cage as Big Daddy. Never been a huge Nicolas Cage fan and I just did not picture him as the Big Daddy character from the comic. I'm still seeing it as the Hit-Girl character looks hilarious.

NewIdentity 04-19-2010 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 2266675)
{scratches head} Based on the trailers, I've been wondering how this was going to pull .50 in revenue, I'm guessing that I'm definitely not the target.

With the "R" rating and Cage you would think their target audience is the 29-45 crowd as a kind of "Hip single Dad" movie.

I myself, do not understand the logic of the "R" rating of this film. I think it would have been a better draw with a PG-13 rating, playing more to the 15-25 market.

Chief Rum 04-19-2010 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewIdentity (Post 2266970)
With the "R" rating and Cage you would think their target audience is the 29-45 crowd as a kind of "Hip single Dad" movie.

I myself, do not understand the logic of the "R" rating of this film. I think it would have been a better draw with a PG-13 rating, playing more to the 15-25 market.

I disagree. This was aimed at 18-35, which, of course, is a good demographic to try to catch.

It might have been a better draw as a PG-13, but I think the "realism" of the movie would have significantly dulled its impact.

My guess is strong word of mouth will spread on this one and buoy it a little more than most genre movies usually are in their second and third weekends. I don't know that many people were really too sure what this was all about, so they would need the push from friends to go see it.

Matthean 04-19-2010 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewIdentity (Post 2266970)

So you've never read the comic then?

Bee 04-19-2010 07:54 PM

My wife and I saw it this weekend and we both loved it. Just about everyone in the theatre were at least late 20's and mostly 30's and 40's. Maybe that had to do with the theatre we went though, but it did seem to be targeted to the 20-40 crowd.

Raiders Army 04-19-2010 08:26 PM

In the "Last Movie You Watched" thread, somebody said they didn't like Nicholas Cage movies; I agree. However, he was very good in this movie, especially in the Adam West mannerisms.

Spoiler

NewIdentity 04-20-2010 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthean (Post 2267467)
So you've never read the comic then?

Nope , never read the comic.

Funny, from the previews I was thinking it was something I could take my 60 year old Dad to. I guess I better pick another movie.

the_meanstrosity 04-26-2010 02:15 AM

I caught Kick-Ass this weekend at the theater. Having read the comic, I probably ruined the movie for myself since I really enjoyed the comic. The movie was definitely solid, but there were at least two major story lines in the comic that were different from the movie. In both cases I preferred the comic to the movie. Still I would recommend it as a budget movie or dvd rental later.

Marc Vaughan 04-26-2010 10:05 AM

I read the comic last night, I thought it was fairly decent however not as groundbreaking as the 'WANTED' graphic novel.

Glad to hear the film is better than the Wanted interpretation as that sucked right royally imho, especially as the comic was just fantastic ... a really novel idea executed incredibly well imho.

Blade6119 04-26-2010 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raiders Army (Post 2267563)
Spoiler

He was saying how proud he was of his daughter and how much he loved her etc.

the_meanstrosity 04-26-2010 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan (Post 2272760)
I read the comic last night, I thought it was fairly decent however not as groundbreaking as the 'WANTED' graphic novel.

Glad to hear the film is better than the Wanted interpretation as that sucked right royally imho, especially as the comic was just fantastic ... a really novel idea executed incredibly well imho.

Thanks for the reminder. I keep wanting to read Wanted, but always forget to borrow it from a friend.

There really wasn't anything groundbreaking about Kick-Ass the comic, but I just loved the twists.

PS: Thanks to anyone who can explain how to add the spoiler tag.

Ronnie Dobbs2 04-26-2010 11:03 AM

{spoiler}{/spoiler}

but instead of {} use []

Matthean 04-26-2010 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blade6119 (Post 2272783)
He was saying how proud he was of his daughter and how much he loved her etc.

There was also talk about when she got shot and he made a comment about the velocity of the bullet.

korme 04-26-2010 03:49 PM

use the fucking spoiler tags ppl