Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   FOFC Archive (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Jobs' liver transplant (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=73172)

Edward64 06-20-2009 07:20 AM

Jobs' liver transplant

Call me cynical, but when I first read this, I was thinking US, Chinese or some other nationality.

Apple CEO Jobs received liver transplant - U.S. business- msnbc.com
Quote:

Steve Jobs, the chief executive of Apple Inc., received a liver transplant about two months ago but is expected to return to work later this month, CNBC reported on Saturday.

Jobs, a pancreatic cancer survivor, stepped away from managing day-to-day operations for the consumer electronics giant about six months ago, citing unspecified health issues.

The Wall Street Journal reported that Jobs, 54, recieved the transplant in Tennessee. CNBC confirmed that Jobs' jet flew from San Jose to Memphis in late March.

Edward64 06-20-2009 10:41 AM

I would like to add that I do believe Jobs is a special person. Jobs is probably one of 10 people in recent US history that have change our country (for better or worse) with his paradigm shifts.

If anyone deserves to use his wealth to game the system (if that's what happened), I'm okay with it.

lynchjm24 06-20-2009 12:06 PM

Am I missing where it says being wealthy helped him game the system? All it says is that he had a transplant.

Edward64 06-20-2009 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynchjm24 (Post 2054125)
Am I missing where it says being wealthy helped him game the system? All it says is that he had a transplant.

You're right. Hence ... "call me cynical".

MJ4H 06-20-2009 12:28 PM

whatever cynical face

Karlifornia 06-20-2009 03:49 PM

I don't get it.

Young Drachma 06-20-2009 03:51 PM

I thought the title was referring to Job from the Bible, not Steve Jobs liver transplant.

Quote:

I don't get it.

The implication is that he wasn't on any sort of list, presumably, that he just went and got it done and that he paid to get a liver faster than he otherwise would have, but we don't know, since they're not talking about that publicly (not that they should, really.)

Karlifornia 06-20-2009 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Cloud (Post 2054176)
I thought the title was referring to Job from the Bible, not Steve Jobs liver transplant.

The implication is that he wasn't on any sort of list, presumably, that he just went and got it done and that he paid to get a liver faster than he otherwise would have, but we don't know, since they're not talking about that publicly (not that they should, really.)

Ah, I see. Well, it certainly wouldn't surprise me. Rich and famous=better than you or I in our capitalist, hero-worshipping society.

lynchjm24 06-20-2009 04:39 PM

Quote:

I did too.

Galaxy 06-20-2009 04:59 PM

Can't you move up transplant lists if you pay for it?

fantom1979 06-20-2009 05:09 PM

Acid in the 60's + working with lead solder in computers = health problems when your older

stevew 06-20-2009 07:16 PM

Jobs'

Maple Leafs 06-20-2009 07:23 PM

Quote:

I thought the title was referring to Job from the Bible

Is he still waiting for his transplant? He's going to pissed that Steve Jobs jumped the line.

DaddyTorgo 06-20-2009 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward64 (Post 2054106)
I would like to add that I do believe Jobs is a special person. Jobs is probably one of 10 people in recent US history that have change our country (for better or worse) with his paradigm shifts.

If anyone deserves to use his wealth to game the system (if that's what happened), I'm okay with it.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

kcchief19 06-21-2009 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galaxy (Post 2054204)
Can't you move up transplant lists if you pay for it?

My understanding is technically no. However, if you have the financial wherewithal to lobby on your own behalf and you have the resources to provide financial benefits to hospitals involved, they may be more forceful in advocating your case.

Each state has its own transplant list and you can list yourself in a different state to improve your chances. Tennessee only has like 1/6 as long of a list as California does. If you have the ability to fly to another state on a moment's notice, that's to your advantage.

I've read that Jobs was listed in Tennessee for about 48 days. It was unclear from I've read if he was listed under his own name. As a PR guy, I remain awe-struck by Apple's and Jobs' ability to keep big things under wraps. They kept his pancreatic cancer secret, they kept the transplant secret -- even the first freakin' iPhone appeared like a thief in the night.

JonInMiddleGA 06-21-2009 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcchief19 (Post 2054656)
As a PR guy, I remain awe-struck by Apple's and Jobs' ability to keep big things under wraps. They kept his pancreatic cancer secret, they kept the transplant secret

+1

Whoever is in charge of his op sec probably ought to be brought on board at DoD or the NSA or something, damn the cost.

Grammaticus 06-21-2009 10:26 PM

There were stories back in January indicating that he was considering a liver transplant due to complications from cancer surgery. I know that Bloomberg reported it.

Edward64 06-24-2009 02:55 PM

Just an update.

Did Steve Jobs' money buy him a faster liver transplant? - CNN.com
Quote:

Livers are a scarce resource. In any given year, only about one-third of the people on the national transplant waiting list receive one, and as of late June, more than 16,000 people were on the list.

Yet it sometimes seems that celebrities in need end up at the front of the line when they need a transplants, and people often assume they get preferential treatment. (Rumors about special treatment circulated after baseball player Mickey Mantle's liver transplant in 1995, for example.) Health.com: The real gift of life: How medical donations help

The truth is more complicated. No one can actually buy an organ in the United States (legally, that is). But getting a liver transplant, it turns out, is a lot like getting into college. Once you're on the waiting list, your chances of getting off it depend largely on your personal circumstances -- how sick you are and whether you are a good donor match. But getting on the list in the first place -- or on more than one list, as the case may be -- requires resources and know-how that most people don't have.