Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   WM3/Scott Peterson intersect? (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=10663)

Samdari 06-23-2003 03:01 PM

WM3/Scott Peterson intersect?

There is an interesting article on CNN.com in which they quote numerous law enforcement sources as saying that there has never been evidence of a satanic cult related murder. A noted anthropology professor studied the issue for years and concluded that there was no evidence such cults even existed.

Yet, isn't that what the three men collectively known as the West Memphis Three were convicted of? Information at that (strongly "the WM3 are innocent" biased) website points strongly to the idea that these murders were painted as a satanic/cult/ritual killing by prosecutors.

Whatever your opinions on the guilt or innocence of the WM3, the disconnect between them being convicted, supposedly of a satanic cult killing, and the rush to discount Peterson's "a cult did it" theory, because satanic cults, which don't exist, and also don't murder children as ritual, is disturbing.

EDIT: F%cking Links

kcchief19 06-23-2003 09:41 PM

Well, the prosecutors did dream up the idea of the cult, but the supporters of the WM3 point to plenty of evidence claiming that is false.

As far as Scott Peterson goes, I think this clinches his guilt. This is as much of a punt as you are ever going to see.

In regards to cults, I'm not sure where I fall on that issue. I know that many crimes have been attributed to cults, but I have also seen that many times when cults are blamed, it is usually by prosecutors with a weak case or defendants with no other recourse. I'm not aware of any proof beyond a shadow of a doubt that satanic, murderous cults exist. You can claim that the Manson Family was one, but I think that was more just a bunch of complete lunatics.

That being said, I knew a woman once who claimed that she had been a member of a cult that sacrificed to newborn children. She said that she had at least one child who had been sacrificed. She claimed that she broke free of the cult and that they paid her a sum of money if she agreed to never sue them or testify against them. Frankly, the story sounds a bit fishy, but I suppose there is a possibility that it was true.

cartman 06-24-2003 01:24 PM

Didn't David "Son of Sam" Berkowitz say he was involved with Satanic Cults, and that was part of what drove him to do what he did? The cult itself wasn't part of the killings, but influenced his behavior.

Samdari 06-24-2003 03:35 PM

I thought Berkowitz was just a loonie who thought that God (or the Devil?) talked to him through his dog (neighbor's dog) and told him to kill those dirty girls.

But, in that case, the prosecution did not buy any cult stuff either. In the WM3 case, it was the prosecutors who sold the theory that it was a satanic cult killing. That is what sets it apart from most claims - and what makes the statement that, "there is no evidence that a cult killing has ever taken place" from the CNN article so disturbing.

Tekneek 06-24-2003 06:20 PM

Samdari - Clearly you are breaking the rules. No one is supposed to remember that detail and is supposed to buy the current spin 100%. You are not doing your part as a good citizen. ;)

NoMyths 06-24-2003 08:30 PM

I'm certain that there have been isolated loonies who murdered people in the name of Satan. That said, having studied the history of witchcraft and the occult (at a major public university, no less), I'm aware of no organized (i.e. larger than two or three loonies) groups that murdered people for Satanic reasons in modern history. But that's probably because a) any large groups usually have at least one member break and tell the police, which hasn't evidently happened and b) the most efficient groups have obviously not been uncovered yet. ;)

Senator 08-18-2011 09:12 PM

Rumor is that the WM3 will plead nolo contendre tomorrow with 2 being released.

http://http://www.wreg.com/news/wreg...,5347577.story

GoldenEagle 08-19-2011 12:06 PM

It looks like they will be freed. I don't know why they would not want to go to trial and clear their names.

digamma 08-30-2011 10:56 AM

Moved per request.

GrantDawg 08-30-2011 10:59 AM

The WM3 was released after plea-ing in a way that they still hold their innocence, but allows them to be free with time served. Sort of bizarre, but understandable that Echols was still facing the death sentence. Forensic scientist have proven many of the wounds on the boys was caused by animals after they were dead, and prove that Misskelley's forced confession was totally false. I was living in Memphis at the time of the murders, and it was clear even before the documentaries and such that these boys were being rail-roaded. I had also lived through a "witch-hunt" before this were prosecutors tried to create a crime to imprison some friends because they were "different." Now, most of these kids would be considered almost normal.

GrantDawg 08-30-2011 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digamma (Post 2520095)
Moved per request.

Thanks.

DanGarion 08-30-2011 11:15 AM

Isn't Scott Peterson the guy that killed his girlfriend with a boat?