Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   FOFC Archive (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Is there an actor out there with two more iconic roles than... (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=77761)

Kodos 05-11-2010 09:13 AM

Is there an actor out there with two more iconic roles than...

...Harrison Ford with Han Solo and Indiana Jones?

My wife came up with Rocky / Rambo, but I don't think that quite tops it.

panerd 05-11-2010 09:23 AM

Robert Deniro: Vito Corleone, Jake LaMotta, Travis Bickle.

saldana 05-11-2010 09:29 AM

i think the thing that sets Ford apart is that he played those characters multiple times....Jake Lamotta was one movie, which for me, doesnt necesaritly create the "icon" status.

JonInMiddleGA 05-11-2010 09:38 AM

In DeNiro's case, I'd probably argue that the average person doesn't know who Travis Bickle is and might not even get Jake LaMotta immediately, whereas Indiana Jones/Han Solo/Rocky Balboa/Rambo are going to be extremely identifiable.

The closest I've come up with so far would be Clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry and The Stranger. For actresses, maybe Vivian Leigh for Blanche DuBois & Scarlett O'Hara?

Alan T 05-11-2010 09:43 AM

I can't think of anyone better than Ford unless I go way back to like Humphrey Bogart or something.

JonInMiddleGA 05-11-2010 09:45 AM

Brando might be in the conversation between Don Corleone & Stanley Kowalski.

Ronnie Dobbs2 05-11-2010 09:46 AM

Gibson as Riggs/Wallace is not there, but not super far off.

Logan 05-11-2010 09:47 AM

Did Connery have another major role I can't think of off the top of my head (guess that says enough).

Just saw an IGN list that ranked Star Wars and Indy as the #1 and #4 movie franchises of all time (Bond, LOTR). Gonna be tough to argue (edit: against) Ford.

Actually I'll try to make the argument anyway. As someone who isn't a Star Wars fan, Harrison Ford is probably not even in the top 10 things that pop into my mind when I think about the movie, whereas with Indy, The Terminator, Bond, etc...the actors are the first thing I see, hence the iconic image.

johnnyshaka 05-11-2010 09:47 AM

How about Mike Myers as Shrek and Austin Powers?

Ronnie Dobbs2 05-11-2010 09:49 AM

Arnie has Terminator which is HUGE, but nothing else quite good enough.

johnnyshaka 05-11-2010 09:49 AM

Or Arnold as Conan and The Terminator?

JonInMiddleGA 05-11-2010 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 (Post 2281017)
Gibson as Riggs/Wallace is not there, but not super far off.

I think you'd go further with Gibson using Riggs/Max than with Riggs/Wallace. It still doesn't get to Ford but I believe it's closer.

chesapeake 05-11-2010 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panerd (Post 2281003)
Robert Deniro: Vito Corleone, Jake LaMotta, Travis Bickle.

You've got the wrong Vito. Marlon Brando is the icon in that role. And he is also iconic as Stanley Kowalski or as Terry Malloy in On the Waterfront.

*edit -- it looks like JiMGA beat me to this one*

JonInMiddleGA 05-11-2010 09:51 AM

A couple of people that I was kind of surprised not to be able to at least come up with a credible pairing for were Charlton Heston (Moses & ???) and John Wayne (Rooster Cogburn & ???).

Coffee Warlord 05-11-2010 09:53 AM

Sigourney Weaver as Ripley/Dana Barrett? :)

Coffee Warlord 05-11-2010 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 2281029)
A couple of people that I was kind of surprised not to be able to at least come up with a credible pairing for were Charlton Heston (Moses & ???)

??? = Taylor. You damn, dirty ape.

wade moore 05-11-2010 09:56 AM

Crowe as Maximus/Hood? ;)

Comey 05-11-2010 09:57 AM

Robin Williams: Mork and Seymour Parrish

John Travolta: Vinnie Barbarino and Vincent Vega

Keanu Reeves: Ted and Neo

Swaggs 05-11-2010 09:58 AM

Marlon Brando would be the only other one to come to mind.

johnnyshaka 05-11-2010 09:59 AM

Actually, Travolta is good one...he had several iconic roles.

Johnny93g 05-11-2010 10:02 AM

Al Pacino
Michael Corleone and Tony Montana

DanGarion 05-11-2010 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Comey (Post 2281039)
Keanu Reeves: Ted and Neo

/thread :)

PackerFanatic 05-11-2010 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanGarion (Post 2281045)
/thread :)

Hahaha - my thoughts exactly!

JPhillips 05-11-2010 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord (Post 2281031)
??? = Taylor. You damn, dirty ape.

or Judah Ben-Hur

panerd 05-11-2010 10:18 AM

Nicholson: Shining, Cuckoo's Nest, Chinatown.

Heath Ledger: Joker, Gay Cowboy

(Of course I don't know any of the names but I definitely know the characters)

mckerney 05-11-2010 10:22 AM

Mark Hamil - Luke Skywalker and The Joker

Comey 05-11-2010 10:28 AM

I'm sick with a several head thing, so I misread and thought "ironic". I stand by my statement, however.

MJ4H 05-11-2010 10:32 AM

OK, so reading over the proposals so far, the answer is definitely no.

Comey 05-11-2010 10:53 AM

I am confused that Jimmy Stewart didn't make this. Or Jack Nicholson.

whomario 05-11-2010 10:55 AM

One thing that somewhat "helps" Ford is that he really didnīt have all that many other great roles.

Tom Hanks ?

Forrest Gump and anyone of HIV guy/sleepless guy/prison warden guy/Art professor guy

Will Smith ? Saves Planet from Aliens guy/catches bad Aliens on earth guy ?

I kind of disagree that any of the characters from Star Wars are iconic beyond real Fans, all the roles werenīt that "key" to the films success ...

cartman 05-11-2010 11:04 AM

John Holmes/Johnny Wadd

Comey 05-11-2010 11:06 AM

If you're looking at a niche crowd, I'd argue that Burgess Meredith has more iconic roles than Sly Stallone when comparing Rocky actors. He had Mickey, of course, was the Penguin with the Adam West Batman. ; )

Danny 05-11-2010 11:08 AM

Reading this thread, it's clearly Harrison Ford on top.

saldana 05-11-2010 11:10 AM

ok, so 30 posts in and we still havent declared what an Iconic role is....there are great performances, but can we say that Bogart in Casablanca created an icon?

to me, an iconic role is one that will forever associate that actor/actress to the role....no matter what Harrison Ford does, he will always be Solo/Indy (and Jack Ryan, for that matter, which opens up a whole new category)

Nicholson had great roles and great performances, but everytime I see him, I dont automatically go to Chinatown or One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (i actually think of the Joker from Batman)

Connery had Bond, Brando had Corleone, but I couldnt even remember the names of any of their characters from other movies I saw them in.

I wanted to go Gene Hackman as Norman Dale & ?????? but couldnt fill in the ?????

Danny 05-11-2010 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saldana (Post 2281083)
ok, so 30 posts in and we still havent declared what an Iconic role is....there are great performances, but can we say that Bogart in Casablanca created an icon?

to me, an iconic role is one that will forever associate that actor/actress to the role....no matter what Harrison Ford does, he will always be Solo/Indy (and Jack Ryan, for that matter, which opens up a whole new category)

Nicholson had great roles and great performances, but everytime I see him, I dont automatically go to Chinatown or One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (i actually think of the Joker from Batman)

Connery had Bond, Brando had Corleone, but I couldnt even remember the names of any of their characters from other movies I saw them in.

I wanted to go Gene Hackman as Norman Dale & ?????? but couldnt fill in the ?????

I agree which is why even though the movies aren't as strong as some others, I'd put Stalone second for Rocky/Rambo

saldana 05-11-2010 11:12 AM

also, what about Tom Cruise.....

Maverick/Cole Trickle

Alan T 05-11-2010 11:14 AM

Quote:

I think you said what I was thinking very well. That is why I have a problem thinking of anyone that would rival Ford any time recently.

I said above that I had to go all the way back to Bogart to find anyone I would think compared. His roles Rick Blaine and Fred Dobbs are the only ones I can think of that I would say tops Harrison Ford as "iconic" roles.

Ironically enough, I think it was halfway a joke answer up above, but whomever said Keanu Reeves probably is the closest in recent time to Harrison Ford.

Danny 05-11-2010 11:18 AM

Oh and not at the top, but a sleeper would be Ian Mckellan as Gandalf and Magneto.

Also Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow and Sweeney Todd / Edward Scissorhands / Gilbert Grape

Danny 05-11-2010 11:19 AM

AlanT, after thinking about it I actually Depp is a good one to rival Ford out of recent actors. Sparrow is very iconic and even the other three I listed came to mind immediately.

johnnyshaka 05-11-2010 11:20 AM

Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal Lector and ???

Alan T 05-11-2010 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny (Post 2281098)
AlanT, after thinking about it I actually Depp is a good one to rival Ford out of recent actors. Sparrow is very iconic and even the other three I listed came to mind immediately.

Depp has the same problem plenty of other actors do (including Anthony Hopkins listed after him). His role in Pirates was iconic... the others not as much. Plenty of actors had one iconic roles, but not two to that level.

larrymcg421 05-11-2010 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saldana (Post 2281086)

Maverick/Cole Trickle

I wouldn't consider Cole Trickle to be very iconic. Better picks would be Lestat or Jerry Maguire.

saldana 05-11-2010 11:25 AM

since i got no love for tom cruise...

will ferrall as ron burgundy and frank the tank?

Danny 05-11-2010 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan T (Post 2281100)
Depp has the same problem plenty of other actors do (including Anthony Hopkins listed after him). His role in Pirates was iconic... the others not as much. Plenty of actors had one iconic roles, but not two to that level.

This is true although I don't view Keanu as Ted as being anymore iconic than a Sweeney Todd.

Ronnie Dobbs2 05-11-2010 11:25 AM

Quote:

I think Popeye Doyle is the best fit.

Greyroofoo 05-11-2010 11:25 AM

I think I smell a movie character draft

Danny 05-11-2010 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larrymcg421 (Post 2281104)
I wouldn't consider Cole Trickle to be very iconic. Better picks would be Lestat or Jerry Maguire.

Yeah although days of thunder was always one of my favorite movies as a kid.

Alan T 05-11-2010 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny (Post 2281106)
This is true although I don't view Keanu as Ted as being anymore iconic than a Sweeney Todd.

Maybe it is my perspective is off, but I don't really see many people commonly refer to Sweeny Todd in any form of pop-culture discussions.

Ted on the other hand still to this day nearly 25 years later is commonly referred to and people identify Reeves with. Perhaps part of it is because Keanu's Reeves' entire acting career has felt like a parody of Ted though, I don't know! :)

Alan T 05-11-2010 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saldana (Post 2281086)

Maverick/Cole Trickle

I think Tom Cruise's problem is he has had too many roles that feel fairly identical that it is hard to identify him as any of them. I loved Days of Thunder but don't really think of Cole Trickle when I think of Tom Cruise.

In fact, the role I most think of when I think Tom Cruise is actually that bartending movie (whatever the name of it was) for some stupid reason :)

saldana 05-11-2010 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan T (Post 2281110)
Maybe it is my perspective is off, but I don't really see many people commonly refer to Sweeny Todd in any form of pop-culture discussions.

Ted on the other hand still to this day nearly 25 years later is commonly referred to and people identify Reeves with. Perhaps part of it is because Keanu's Reeves' entire acting career has felt like a parody of Ted though, I don't know! :)

DO NOT BESMIRCH SPECIAL AGENT JOHNNY UTAH!!!!!!!!!!!:D