Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   FOFC Archive (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Alien Autopsy (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=40410)

CHEMICAL SOLDIER 07-04-2005 11:58 AM

Alien Autopsy

Remember the infamous ''Alien Autopsy'' hoopla 8 years ago? Just wondering if anyone knows if it's been put in the officlal hoax box.

Franklinnoble 07-04-2005 12:15 PM

Why?

Suicane75 07-04-2005 12:33 PM

I think it's been confirmed that that was footage of Anna Nicole Smiths augmentation surgery.

dawgfan 07-04-2005 12:34 PM

Isn't common sense enough to convince you it was a hoax?

Karlifornia 07-04-2005 12:47 PM

LOL@this thread. Oh man...I'm laughing so hard right now........Nevada does do weapons testing, so maybe Chemical Soldier got a little too close to one of the blasts...Just kidding, bro.

CHEMICAL SOLDIER 07-04-2005 12:53 PM

I knew it was a hoax to begin with but just wondering if people still thought it wasnt. :p ;)

Desnudo 07-04-2005 12:53 PM

Wasn't it on FOX? So there is some credibility there.

sterlingice 07-04-2005 01:00 PM

I thought that since it was on Fox, it was in the hoax box ;)

EDIT: Dang, Desnudo beat me to it.

SI

Desnudo 07-04-2005 01:05 PM

Read before you post. Knowing is half the battle. ;)

CHEMICAL SOLDIER 07-04-2005 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desnudo

GI JOE!

sterlingice 07-04-2005 01:16 PM

Quote:

Well, what it was is that the first time I log in for the day, I open up all the threads I'm reading in new tabs so that I "pick them up where I left off" because if you reload any, the "View First Unread" tag will lapse. So, it took me more than the 7 minutes between your post and mine to get to this thread (ie I opened up the thread about 5 minutes before you posted but didn't post in it for 15 minutes)

SI

sterlingice 07-04-2005 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHEMICAL SOLDIER
GI JOE!

How very 4th of July. Speaking of which, why isn't Cartoon Network showing that all day?

SI

Desnudo 07-04-2005 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sterlingice
Well, what it was is that the first time I log in for the day, I open up all the threads I'm reading in new tabs so that I "pick them up where I left off" because if you reload any, the "View First Unread" tag will lapse. So, it took me more than the 7 minutes between your post and mine to get to this thread (ie I opened up the thread about 5 minutes before you posted but didn't post in it for 15 minutes)

SI

All that obfuscates the fact that you should:

Suicane75 07-04-2005 01:48 PM

Quote:

obfuscates

You, AgPete, QuikSand, MrBigglesworth and albionmoonlight.
I'm keeping tabs on you guys.

sterlingice 07-04-2005 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suicane75

Like Nixon's enemies list?

SI

CHEMICAL SOLDIER 07-04-2005 02:02 PM

What have I done!?!? I've created a monster!!!!

Desnudo 07-04-2005 02:38 PM

Quote:

I'm just a simple poster, trying to earn a living.

QuikSand 07-04-2005 02:48 PM

Can someone give me an update on Sidd Fynch? I suspect he must be just about ready to break into the bigs by now... I'm very excited.

Franklinnoble 07-04-2005 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSand
Can someone give me an update on Sidd Fynch? I suspect he must be just about ready to break into the bigs by now... I'm very excited.

Winner. :D

dawgfan 07-04-2005 03:53 PM

Quote:

Didn't you hear? It was the steroids that gave him all the velocity - with the new testing program in place his fastball suddenly dropped from 160 MPH to 80MPH. He's just another junkballer now...

MikeVic 07-04-2005 04:00 PM

Quote:

When I read that article, I half-believed it... there was the side of me saying "how the hell is he not in the major leagues, and why hasn't this been headline sports news??" But there was also the side of me that hoped it would be true. Imagine that velocity. :D

MikeVic 07-04-2005 04:02 PM

dola,

is there any research available on what the human arm is topped out at? I've never heard of anyone throwing over ~105mph... is there a limit to the torque a human arm can take?

Desnudo 07-04-2005 04:26 PM

http://baseballguru.com/attiyeh/bbread20.html

Was the fastest pitch ever, 101 MPH?

Kimberly wrote:

At the water cooler I overheard a co-worker claim that the fastest timed pitch thrown in major league baseball was 101 mph. Hasn't Clemons and Johnson both topped that mark ?

Mike Attiyeh's Response

Hello Kimberly,

On official record, the fastest and most accurately recorded pitch during a major league game remains 100.9 mph, registered by Californias Nolan Ryan on August 20, 1974 at Anaheim Stadium.

Reliever Billy Koch, I recently heard during a radio broadcast, may have topped the speed - but on a fast gun.

Some believe Bob Feller was clocked at 98.6 miles per hour in 1947. And according to a fellow SABR member whose name I forgot, the great Walter Johnson was clocked  using a different, raw system more than eight decades ago  in the high 80s, without a warmup, mind you, and in civilian clothes. Johnson was a "Big Train" indeed.

So Kimberly, while Randy Johnson and Roger Clemens do throw fast, they have yet to officially top Ryans legendary mark, from what I have gathered.

I hope I have helped,

Mike Attiyeh

dawgfan 07-04-2005 04:33 PM

There have definitely been guys clocked higher than 100MPH, but most of them were probably on a 'fast' gun. I've seen games where Bartolo Colon has regularly been hitting 100-101 on the gun readings at Safeco, and I'm sure I've seen Billy Wagner hit 100+ on national broadcasts. I don't know how accurate these guns and readings are, but I have a hard time believing Ryan is the only guy to have legitimately hit 101.

dawgfan 07-04-2005 04:34 PM

Dola - while I can believe Randy Johnson hitting 100+, I don't think Clemens has ever been quite that fast - I thought his upper limit was around 96-97.

MikeVic 07-04-2005 04:38 PM

101mph? Really? Maybe I'm confusing 105 with Al MacInnes' or Al Iafrate's slapshots? I swear I thought Juan Guzman threw ~101mph during the 1993 World Series... I wonder how they determine which radar guns are accurate...

Franklinnoble 07-04-2005 04:54 PM

Rick Vaughn threw a 101 M.P.H. pitch against the Yankees once...

Karlifornia 07-04-2005 04:56 PM

Dennis Quaid also has one hell of a fastball.

korme 07-04-2005 05:18 PM

Quote:

Your paucity of precocity exasperates me.

Suicane75 07-04-2005 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shorty3281
Your paucity of precocity exasperates me.

I believe at least one of those words is made up, C/D?

korme 07-05-2005 01:14 AM

Quote:

If C/D is shorthand for Care to Defend, I am fucking money.

And none of those words are made up baby

sabotai 07-05-2005 02:06 AM

That's right...it's all just a hoax...all of it.....and DON'T YOU FORGET IT OR ELSE!

Ahem. Nothing but a hoax.

Ragone 07-05-2005 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Franklinnoble
Rick Vaughn threw a 101 M.P.H. pitch against the Yankees once...

funny because i watched that movie today :)

JeeberD 07-05-2005 10:13 AM

I saw Brad Lidge get up over 100 against the Brewers last year...

NoMyths 07-05-2005 10:50 AM

Why do I keep expecting Bubba to show up any minute with a Coast to Coast link disproving the hoax?

CHEMICAL SOLDIER 07-05-2005 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoMyths
Why do I keep expecting Bubba to show up any minute with a Coast to Coast link disproving the hoax?

Coast to Coast has gotten stale the past year. Always with the''ghosts,'' Ufo's, Nostradamus....etc. Personally I would love for Coast to Coast to focus more on ancient civilizations (Sumeria, etc), and Geo Political stuff like they used to.

sterlingice 07-05-2005 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHEMICAL SOLDIER
Coast to Coast has gotten stale the past year. Always with the''ghosts,'' Ufo's, Nostradamus....etc. Personally I would love for Coast to Coast to focus more on ancient civilizations (Sumeria, etc), and Geo Political stuff like they used to.

I remember listening to that from time to time when driving back and forth between Lawrence and Columbia. Could get stations from everywhere around: Denver to Cincy to Minneapolis to Dallas to Atlanta and more. But, i I were driving back after about 11pm, there was always Coast to Coast and their wacky X-Files-esque conspiracy show. My personal favorite stories were about the Illuminati like how the Bush family was trying to consolidate their power and move up in their rankings of the Committee of 300. Good stuff.

SI

CHEMICAL SOLDIER 07-05-2005 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sterlingice
My personal favorite stories were about the Illuminati like how the Bush family was trying to consolidate their power and move up in their rankings of the Committee of 300. Good stuff.

SI

Wonder if they are still a ''mid major power''?

BigJohn&TheLions 07-05-2005 08:02 PM

Wow. I completely forgot about the Alien Autopsy. Where is Rosanne Barr anyway?

MrBigglesworth 07-06-2005 03:45 AM

Quote:

'precocity' is the root of 'precocious', as in 'a precocious child' :)

/800 SAT verbal score coming in handy for once