Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   FOFC Archive (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Grade School Yearbooks (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=77893)

Antmeister 05-21-2010 03:38 PM

Grade School Yearbooks

I am interested to know when this started. Definitely didn't start with my generation. It's odd when my daughter already has yearbooks stretching back to kindergarten and they are better quality and size then the first one I received in Jr. High (7th-8th) grade.

And to top it all off, at my son's school they even get color photos for all grades. I didn't get a color photo until I was a senior in high school and they did those freaking studio glamour photos.

So when exactly did this start or does this just depend on the locale?

Kodos 05-21-2010 04:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is what yearbooks looked like when I was in grade school.

Antmeister 05-21-2010 04:20 PM

Interesting. When I was in 4th grade, we just had a class photo. That is similar (being a one page thing), but it is not a yearbook.

Kodos 05-21-2010 04:21 PM

Yeah, I was just joking. We just got a single page with our teacher that year and our classmates.

Antmeister 05-21-2010 04:24 PM

I think we got one of that fancy one pagers in 6th grade. Prior to that, we sat on some bleachers in the cafeteria with the teacher with our fake grins for each year. Hmmm, which one is our resident alien?

Young Drachma 05-21-2010 04:24 PM

I'm willing to bet strongly that with the proliferation of social networks that render yearbooks useless, high school kids are buying them less and less. College yearbooks are basically mothballed at all but a few institutions and so, some intrepid salesman figured out that if you bring it down to the K-6 level that parents are more likely to buy them without protest and it opens a revenue stream that wasn't there before since well....their entire business model is about to be extinct.

Sun Tzu 05-21-2010 04:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Where's Kodos? Oh wait, there he is.

JediKooter 05-21-2010 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kodos (Post 2287104)
This is what yearbooks looked like when I was in grade school.

Now which one is Kodos. It's hard to tell without seeing all the arms.

And Sun Tzu answered my question. :D

Antmeister 05-21-2010 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Cloud (Post 2287111)
I'm willing to bet strongly that with the proliferation of social networks that render yearbooks useless, high school kids are buying them less and less. College yearbooks are basically mothballed at all but a few institutions and so, some intrepid salesman figured out that if you bring it down to the K-6 level that parents are more likely to buy them without protest and it opens a revenue stream that wasn't there before since well....their entire business model is about to be extinct.

We shall see. I am doubting that yearbooks will be obsolete on the high school level because I still think hard copies of images compiled in a yearbook still has some relevance. But I don't truly know that since I have no children at that age.

Kodos 05-21-2010 04:34 PM

We'll see who guesses correctly first.

Tigercat 05-21-2010 04:35 PM

I went to a non-HS Catholic school 1-8 and they had yearbooks going back to the 60s. Might have been more common in private schools though...

Antmeister 05-21-2010 04:35 PM

Bottom row, 3rd from the left?

Sun Tzu 05-21-2010 04:36 PM

I've had yearbooks at ever school I've ever been to dating back to 2nd grade. I lived in some pretty nice areas though.

jeff061 05-21-2010 04:37 PM

I'm going for top row 3rd from left.

Just took Kodos a couple more years than his peers.

Dodgerchick 05-21-2010 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antmeister (Post 2287122)

How dare you, that's what I said :rant:

Kodos 05-21-2010 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeff061 (Post 2287124)
I'm going for top row 3rd from left.

Just took Kodos a couple more years than his peers.

No, but I like the way you think.

Kodos 05-21-2010 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antmeister (Post 2287122)

X

Kodos 05-21-2010 04:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And the winner is:

Izulde 05-21-2010 04:59 PM

I had yearbooks in elementary school, although they were cheap paper things. The yearbooks I had in middle school and high school were nice. Hardbound on quality paper and really durable.

Young Drachma 05-21-2010 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antmeister (Post 2287119)
We shall see. I am doubting that yearbooks will be obsolete on the high school level because I still think hard copies of images compiled in a yearbook still has some relevance. But I don't truly know that since I have no children at that age.

Networking websites rendering yearbooks obsolete - The Boston Globe

Kids don't want them. I'm sure they're great for parents though and that's what will keep them alive, but as far as student interest there's no real point. Kids take their own pictures, have their own Facebook pages and cover their own events so they have a tapestry of what happened from elementary school to middle school to high school and so on. And that's not just from my research, that's from actually working at a K-12 school this year.

This article is instructive, as you have the old people happy with how it's always been and the younger ones just going through the motions and implementing their new tactics to keep the old dinosaur medium relevant.

Their business model is only better than newspapers because it's highly subsidized by parents and school districts, but they won't last another generation unless the business model changes.

Izulde 05-21-2010 05:30 PM

My favorite part of yearbooks was getting signatures.

Dodgerchick 05-21-2010 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Izulde (Post 2287154)

Yup, mine too.

Autumn 05-21-2010 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Izulde (Post 2287154)

But now with social media I can see where this would be of less interest to kids. When I was in high school, a year book signature was the only time you ever wrote anything to another kid. Nowadays kids can IM, comment on Facebook, MySpace, etc. Writing in a yearbook would be a lot less unique than it was for us.