Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   FOFC Archive (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   New laptop...driving me insane help! (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=73294)

Mike Lowe 06-26-2009 11:09 PM

New laptop...driving me insane help!

Got a new Gateway NV52 laptop yesterday. It's been great excepts for two things so far:

1) Whenever the power cable is removed from the laptop it BEEEEEEPS super loud. So annoying and I cannot find where this particular sound is (or what it is called) in Vista. Not sure if it is a Windows sound or a Gateway one.

2) Adobe CS3 installed with no problem, but when I double click an app nothing happens. What's weird is when I went to uninstall everything to try it again, I was told that I couldn't unistall until I closed all of the apps that I tried to open but were not visible. I had tried 3-4 different apps in CS3 and apparently they were doing something, just nothing I could see or do anything with.

Everything has been working great and I'm really liking Vista. I guess Best Buy will be sending me a free copy of the new Windows 7 which comes out October 22nd as well.

Cringer 06-26-2009 11:34 PM

Well, the beep isn't a Vista default, that I know. I have never heard it on my HP or my wife's Toahiba.

Sun Tzu 06-26-2009 11:36 PM

Uh...a laptop making a loud beeping noise when you remove the power cable is *not* normal. If you got it from Best Buy, I would take it back and alert them of the issue because I think you got a lemon. They'll swap it out for a new one as long as it's within 14 days of the purchase.

mckerney 06-26-2009 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Lowe (Post 2059738)
2) Adobe CS3 installed with no problem, but when I double click an app nothing happens. What's weird is when I went to uninstall everything to try it again, I was told that I couldn't unistall until I closed all of the apps that I tried to open but were not visible. I had tried 3-4 different apps in CS3 and apparently they were doing something, just nothing I could see or do anything with.

Have you tried running as an administrator the first time you open it?

spleen1015 06-27-2009 06:34 AM

My IBM work laptop always beeps when I unplug the power cord unless I have sound muted.

I think it is a normal warning letting you know you've lost power.

Mike Lowe 06-27-2009 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mckerney (Post 2059750)
Have you tried running as an administrator the first time you open it?

Yeah, I've tried that. I uninstalled everything and will give it another shot here this morning.

DanGarion 06-27-2009 09:00 AM

I would assume that the sound is something set in the BIOS, when turning on your computer go into the BIOS (as stated on the bootup screen before it says Windows) and locate the Power Management section, hopefully there will be a setting to turn down/off that beep.

k0ruptr 06-28-2009 12:32 AM

yea tha sound sounds like bios to me also