Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   FOFC Archive (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   NBA Draft Lottery/Draft/Offseason thread. (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=72457)

Arles 07-02-2009 08:40 PM

Nah, Shaq said he was going to win a title for "Nash and Amare" when he joined the Suns. It's his standard MO.

Radii 07-02-2009 08:44 PM

Isn't it reasonable to assume that Shaq, like many other players at this stage in their careers, is simply looking for an opportunity to win another championship for himself?

Atocep 07-02-2009 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radii (Post 2063566)
Isn't it reasonable to assume that Shaq, like many other players at this stage in their careers, is simply looking for an opportunity to win another championship for himself?

There's no fun discussing that though.

Radii 07-02-2009 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atocep (Post 2063568)
There's no fun discussing that though.

:D

In that case, my theory is that Shaq hates Cleveland, and hates Lebron. By going to Cleveland and winning a championship there, then retiring, their horrible coach and all their marginal bit parts get long contract extensions and the team never wins again after he leaves. The city, and the franchise wallow in mediocrity and disappointment for the next 10 years.

Its a pretty diabolical plan if you ask me.

MrBug708 07-02-2009 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radii (Post 2063561)
Well there's also every other Lakers homer who first assumes that every decision Shaq makes is related to what Kobe is doing in some way.

Well, Kobe wasn't the one who was rhyming on the stage Shaq and how a certain part of his body tastes like.

sterlingice 07-03-2009 12:07 AM

Man, our offseason has started off interesting and it's just the start, to be sure.

SI

Danny 07-03-2009 12:15 AM

Bynum, Gasol, Artest, Bryant and Fisher/Farmar/S Brown with Odom, off the bench looks mighty good offensively and defensively. Artest is a better player than Ariza right now. Ariza was made to look better than he was because of Gasol and Bryant. Ariza will likely be overpaid, though he is a solid player that is very good as a 4th or 5th best player on a team. Plus he is still young and could get better.

Chief Rum 07-03-2009 12:17 AM

Reports are saying Ariza and Artest pretty much worked out a trade for one another.

sterlingice 07-03-2009 12:22 AM

Yeah, Ariza went to Houston for 5/$33M and this upcoming year will use the MLE. As I said above, I think we're just getting started.

SI

RainMaker 07-03-2009 05:44 AM

I think it's a good move for both teams. Artest helps the Lakers win right now while Ariza is a nice long term piece for the Rockets. Although it is a lot of money for Ariza in my opinion. He's a nice player but I think was a little overated for making a few big plays in the playoffs.

MikeVic 07-03-2009 09:04 AM

Damn Lakers. I liked Artest. :(

whomario 07-03-2009 03:20 PM

Blazers appear to have a deal with Turkoglu, numbers vary from 50 to 58 mio over 5 years depending on who is talking.
Hmm, interesting. Normally a PG was the most talked-about area where to improve the team, but then again SF was a question mark as well and the only real upgrade over Blake (that was on the market) was Miller who isnīt that good a fit next to Roy as he canīt shoot the 3 at all. Also 4 years older than Turkoglu on a position more dependent on speed and quickness.

I think itīs a good move by the Blazers. They are obviously not as restricted by money issues as others, so thatīs not a big issue, and definitely needed another guy who could make plays, especially late in games.

Maybe they still get a deal done involving Outlaw and maybe Webster, maybe Blake for a better PG.

MikeVic 07-03-2009 03:23 PM

Who are the fucking Raptors gonna get. Ariza to Houston probably, Hedo to Portland. Who's left other than overrated Marion?

whomario 07-03-2009 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeVic (Post 2063903)
Who are the fucking Raptors gonna get. Ariza to Houston probably, Hedo to Portland. Who's left other than overrated Marion?

Kleiza was supposed to be on their short list. Not that heīs a great improvement, just saying he was reported as a target ;)

The best left (Millsap, Lee, Odom isnīt signed either yet) are all PFs so not really obvious targets for the Raptors.

Maybe Marvin Williams ? Wonder what the Hawks would match ...

Thatīs about it for 2/3 players though, the rest worth MLE and maybe more are all PF/C or PG (Sessions, Robinson, MIller, Bibby)

RainMaker 07-03-2009 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whomario (Post 2063902)
Blazers appear to have a deal with Turkoglu, numbers vary from 50 to 58 mio over 5 years depending on who is talking.
Hmm, interesting. Normally a PG was the most talked-about area where to improve the team, but then again SF was a question mark as well and the only real upgrade over Blake (that was on the market) was Miller who isnīt that good a fit next to Roy as he canīt shoot the 3 at all. Also 4 years older than Turkoglu on a position more dependent on speed and quickness.

I think itīs a good move by the Blazers. They are obviously not as restricted by money issues as others, so thatīs not a big issue, and definitely needed another guy who could make plays, especially late in games.

Maybe they still get a deal done involving Outlaw and maybe Webster, maybe Blake for a better PG.

There had been a lot of talk in Chicago that the Blazers were interested in Hinrich. I'm guessing this puts them out of the running for him.

Mantle2600 07-03-2009 11:05 PM

Apparently Toronto will get Turkey-glue

k0ruptr 07-03-2009 11:07 PM

Yep, looks like he said F U blazers, and is going to the raptors.

k0ruptr 07-03-2009 11:08 PM

dola from an AP article

Quote:

A source says Turkoglu’s wife wanted badly to live in Toronto, a far more European-style city, and that’s where it appears the Turkish native is headed. The Raptors have embraced the Euro game under GM Bryan Colangelo, building a roster that includes Euro talents Jose Calderon(notes) and Andrea Bargnani(notes).

lol, she wears the pants, we get it.

Oilers9911 07-04-2009 11:49 AM

The wife always wears the pants. See Pronger, Chris and Nylander, Mikael.

Young Drachma 07-04-2009 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k0ruptr (Post 2064119)
dola from an AP article

lol, she wears the pants, we get it.

I didn't think of the wife, but I did think of the more Euro-style connection. Doesn't surprise me at all. Though admittedly, Portland is up there on the euro scale.

Oilers9911 07-04-2009 03:04 PM

If true the Raptors, at this point look like this:

Calderon
Derozan (hopefully they can bring in Delfino or AP here)
Turkoglu
Bosh
Bargnagni

They certainly are not very deep though.

MikeVic 07-04-2009 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oilers9911 (Post 2064353)
If true the Raptors, at this point look like this:

Calderon
Derozan (hopefully they can bring in Delfino or AP here)
Turkoglu
Bosh
Bargnagni

They certainly are not very deep though.

Still not a defensive team though, so I don't even know if this is a playoff team in the crappy East.

Oilers9911 07-05-2009 09:14 AM

We'll see what else Colangelo can pull off. A sign and trade with Marion would be nice but i'm not betting on it. Evans will help on defense but yeah, they are still not a defensive juggernaut. They might contend for 7 or 8 in the East.

miami_fan 07-05-2009 10:08 AM

Are Raptors fans really expecting Colangelo to put together a defensive team? I would think that adequate defensive is all Colangelo is looking for.

MikeVic 07-05-2009 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miami_fan (Post 2064679)
Are Raptors fans really expecting Colangelo to put together a defensive team? I would think that adequate defensive is all Colangelo is looking for.

Not a team known for defense, but at least enough defense to combine with the offense to look like a serious threat. The offense isn't near what the Suns were, so I'm expecting at least an attempt for defense to compensate for that.

Oilers9911 07-05-2009 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miami_fan (Post 2064679)

Nobody said we were expecting a defensive team. But something better than swiss cheese would be nice.

larrymcg421 07-05-2009 09:33 PM

Looks like Sheed is signing with the Celtics...

Reports: Wallace agrees to deal with Celtics - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

RainMaker 07-06-2009 03:06 AM

I don't think what Colangelo is doing is wrong up there. Toronto is not a great destination for the typical U.S. born superstar. But if you can make it a nice destination for Europeans, you can start to compete in a way with the major markets. Your team is also building a system that is unconventional and provides tough matchups (sort of like this year's Magic).

I think the Hedo signing was a mistake as he's 30 years old with close to 800 NBA games under his belt. That's probably past his prime and I'm going to guess maybe 2 years of him being a good player. That leaves 3 final years of him making almost $12 million a season. For a team on the verge of a title that needs one more piece, I can justify it. But it makes no sense for the Raptors. They maybe turn themselves into a 4 or 5 seed in the East at best which isn't anything special. I think the team should have unloaded Bosh this summer and stocked up on young talent and draft picks.

RainMaker 07-06-2009 03:07 AM

From Bill Simmons Twitter:

Statement from Pistons to fans: "Look, any time you can tank a season for the chance to spend $95 mill on 2 non-AllStars, you gotta do it."

Karlifornia 07-06-2009 04:04 AM

Derozan is not ready to contribute on the NBA level. He was barely able to contribute consistently by the end of his season at USC. He has the tools, provided he works hard, but he should absolutely not be starting for a team that has any hopes of contending.

jbergey22 07-06-2009 04:23 AM

Would any of you guys be interested in this? Its a mock GM game or there is the option to be an agent in which you can have up to 30 clients as well. Here is a league that is starting up soon. Looks very interesting!

Mock GM Offseason & Real-Time Fantasy Basketball - PASPN.net

League Name: GDS Mock GM
password: ryland

JonInMiddleGA 07-06-2009 06:27 PM

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2009/...p/?partner=RSS

Former Vol Marcus Haislip, 28, is expected to sign with the San Antonio Spurs, according to a release on the Spurs’ Web site Monday.

The league has a moratorium on offseason roster moves that will be lifted Wednesday.

Haislip, at 6-foot-10, has agreed in principle on a deal with the Spurs.

Originally drafted in the first round by Milwaukee in 2002, Haislip has been playing the past two seasons with Spanish powerhouse Unicaja Malaga, where he averaged 16.7 points per game.

The Spurs had been courting Detroit’s Rasheed Wallace, who has committed to sign with Boston.

The terms of the Spurs’ offer to Haislip were not immediately available, though it could start at the veteran’s minimum.

Haislip will join Golden State's C.J. Watson as the only former Vols in the NBA.

whomario 07-07-2009 04:10 AM

good for him. Did good here in Europe.
Can score and has a good jump shot out to the Euro 3-Line (save for this seasons Euroleague where he just didnīt find a shooting touch most nights for whatever reason), can defend the Pick & Roll as well as run it (rolling as well as, well, poping) and is athletic. Lacks timing for his shot blocking and is a so-so rebounder.

Immediately increases the Spurs athletic ability in the Front Court by a million percent :p Kurt Thomas and Oberto both did not have a single dunk last season btw. Not one. Their 2 Centers. In 2100 minutes.

Actually a funny side note : The Spurs were dead last in Dunks 4 seasons running, last year they had 73 Dunks as a team which is propably the lowest ever, the 2nd last team (Pacers) had 167 and 32 individual players had more than 73 by themselves.
Fun little overview on Dunks last year : 2008-09 NBA Slam Dunk Stats - Roto Evil = Fantasy Hoops & More

Now they only have to get a hold on Splitter somehow and the have themselves a very deep team all of a sudden.

RainMaker 07-07-2009 10:07 AM

Source: LeBron James tells recruit he'll stay with Cleveland Cavaliers - ESPN

Intersting development there. Lebron could be full of shit, but it would be a low class move to recruit someone by lying about your intended future. Also, the fact Lebron won't commit long term yet to the team probably hurts their chances in luring some free agents in. If Lebron truly has his heart in Cleveland and wants to stay, he should have made it clear by now.

DeToxRox 07-07-2009 10:11 AM

If Bron wanted to stay in Cleveland he'd already be signed to an extension. If this gets to the season and he isn't signed long term then there is no way he is coming back.

DeToxRox 07-07-2009 10:13 AM

Dola, of course telling Ariza he's staying is a ploy to get him in to town, that's all. Why would a guy sign in Cleveland if they think Bron is leaving? That team is gonna be the worst in the NBA in 2011 without him.

TroyF 07-07-2009 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeToxRox (Post 2066227)
If Bron wanted to stay in Cleveland he'd already be signed to an extension. If this gets to the season and he isn't signed long term then there is no way he is coming back.

Things can always change, but I agree with this. I always go back to this quote by Lebron:

“If you guys want to go to sleep right now and not wake up until July 1, 2010, then go ahead because it’s going to be a big day,”

He's talking after a Cavs win over the Knicks. People can argue the point, but I think the guy was talking to Knicks fans, not his hometown Cleveland fans. (who he could have simply told that he would stay a long time ago)

There is no reason for James to hold off. He has an owner willing to go deep into the luxury tax. He has a city who loves him. If he wants to stay there, he could sign his extension. He's not going to do it because I think he isn't going to be a Cav after next year.

I also find it very hard to believe he told Ariza his plans. Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

MikeVic 07-07-2009 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TroyF (Post 2066252)
Things can always change, but I agree with this. I always go back to this quote by Lebron:

“If you guys want to go to sleep right now and not wake up until July 1, 2010, then go ahead because it’s going to be a big day,”

He's talking after a Cavs win over the Knicks. People can argue the point, but I think the guy was talking to Knicks fans, not his hometown Cleveland fans. (who he could have simply told that he would stay a long time ago)

There is no reason for James to hold off. He has an owner willing to go deep into the luxury tax. He has a city who loves him. If he wants to stay there, he could sign his extension. He's not going to do it because I think he isn't going to be a Cav after next year.

I also find it very hard to believe he told Ariza his plans. Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Yeah I know, telling Ariza? "Who is this?" to quote Pedro Martinez. ;)

albionmoonlight 07-07-2009 11:16 AM

Playing devil's advocate: LeBron could be holding off on a decision because he knows that the suspense will keep people talking about him and because when he does decide to stay with Cleveland, he could put it in the best possible light.

Personally, I think that he is leaving for the reasons given by others in this thread. But I can see a world where he knows he is staying and would still not sign the extension.

Here's a question. Let's say that you are Cleveland, and LeBron says to you that he's going to [names three teams], but that he will let you do a sign-and-trade. Do you do it? On the one hand, better to get something instead of nothing. On the other hand, I don't think that I could be the GM who traded LeBron away, no matter the reason.

(Now, I don't think that this would happen b/c LeBron would not want to deplete his new team before he got there, but it is a mildly interesting thought experiment).

Fidatelo 07-07-2009 11:32 AM

Isn't is possible that he intends to stay but is not signing the extension in hopes that the cap will rise by 2010 and he'll be able to get a more lucrative contract?

RainMaker 07-07-2009 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fidatelo (Post 2066326)
Isn't is possible that he intends to stay but is not signing the extension in hopes that the cap will rise by 2010 and he'll be able to get a more lucrative contract?

He could come out and say he intends to stay in Cleveland and put the onus on them to give him the money.

Gary Gorski 07-07-2009 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albionmoonlight (Post 2066310)
Here's a question. Let's say that you are Cleveland, and LeBron says to you that he's going to [names three teams], but that he will let you do a sign-and-trade. Do you do it? On the one hand, better to get something instead of nothing. On the other hand, I don't think that I could be the GM who traded LeBron away, no matter the reason.

You would rather be known as the GM that botched building a team around one of the greatest players in history when you had seven years to do it and then watched him walk away for nothing?

If he comes to me and says he's not signing and either I trade him to one of three teams I do it - with a preference to trading him outside of the conference - as long as I'm getting enough picks and young players to quickly begin building a team again and the team must have adequate salary room so I don't have to take back junk contracts or must have expiring contracts on any players I take but don't want. Then I immediately go to the media and tell them Lebron orchastrated the entire deal and that I am devastated he decided to walk away from a city and organization that has embraced him like we have but that we have some pieces to build around and we'll build it back up.

Then I would expect to be fired after the team goes 10-72 the following season.

TroyF 07-07-2009 11:43 AM

Quote:

Sure, it's possible. But why make the quote I put above? I just don't see him staying there.

Gary Gorski 07-07-2009 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainMaker (Post 2066330)
He could come out and say he intends to stay in Cleveland and put the onus on them to give him the money.

If he says he'll sign an extension the Cavs will have paperwork in front of him within 30 seconds and a Brinks truck waiting for him outside the door.

TroyF 07-07-2009 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Gorski (Post 2066336)
You would rather be known as the GM that botched building a team around one of the greatest players in history when you had seven years to do it and then watched him walk away for nothing?

If he comes to me and says he's not signing and either I trade him to one of three teams I do it - with a preference to trading him outside of the conference - as long as I'm getting enough picks and young players to quickly begin building a team again and the team must have adequate salary room so I don't have to take back junk contracts or must have expiring contracts on any players I take but don't want. Then I immediately go to the media and tell them Lebron orchastrated the entire deal and that I am devastated he decided to walk away from a city and organization that has embraced him like we have but that we have some pieces to build around and we'll build it back up.

Agreed on every point outside of the 10-72. Cleveland may suck, but if you got a decent package of picks and a young player or two for him, Cleveland wouldn't be 10-72 bad.

Maybe change it to "I'd expect to be fired after we went 30-52.

If he tells you he isn't staying, you make the trade.

Here is the thing though. . . Bron isn't going to tell Cleveland that. He's going to want to go to a team with cap space and some talent. He'll be unrestricted. He isn't going to want his new team to give up assets that could make them better to get him.

I hope I'm proven wrong. I'd love Bron to stay in Cleveland and give those fans a championship they've been dreaming about. If it doesn't happen this year, I don't think it's going to happen with Bron though.

MikeVic 07-07-2009 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TroyF (Post 2066343)
Agreed on every point outside of the 10-72. Cleveland may suck, but if you got a decent package of picks and a young player or two for him, Cleveland wouldn't be 10-72 bad.

Maybe change it to "I'd expect to be fired after we went 30-52.

Here is the thing though. . . Bron isn't going to tell Cleveland that. He's going to want to go to a team with cap space and some talent. He'll be unrestricted. He isn't going to want his new team to give up assets that could make them better to get him.

I hope I'm proven wrong. I'd love Bron to stay in Cleveland and give those fans a championship they've been dreaming about. If it doesn't happen this year, I don't think it's going to happen with Bron though.

Yeah, isn't that why Kobe didn't go to the Bulls a couple years ago? He didn't like that they were giving up so much to get him, making the team a lot worse.

RainMaker 07-07-2009 11:52 AM

I still wouldn't make the trade if he said he was leaving. You still have a great shot at a title next year. I'd rather win one title and go 10-72 for the next 5 years then trade Lebron and rebuild into a mediocre playoff team for 10 years.

DaddyTorgo 07-07-2009 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Gorski (Post 2066336)

yeah. that's the way

Samdari 07-07-2009 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TroyF (Post 2066343)

No reason not to wait until the deadline, to maximize ticket sales.

To get LeBron, most teams would even take Shaq's 20 million contract. And gee, look, New York has a ton of contracts expiring in July 2010.

molson 07-07-2009 12:10 PM

The though of trading LeBron is insane. You make trades to get in the position the Cavs are in now.

DeToxRox 07-07-2009 01:47 PM

So the Pistons will name George Kuester their new Head Coach after Dumars couldn't lure Avery Johnson to Detroit.

Now I am indifferent to Avery but this quote Joe gave today regarding the Avery situation is absurd:

"Where we are right now as a team is kind of like where we were at the start of the Rick Carlisle era," Dumars said. "And a $4 to $5 million (a year) coach is not what we need right now. We didn't have one of those until we were close to contending for a championship when we got Larry (Brown)."

Translation: We are going to suck for a while (Even though we spent 90 million dollars on two guys this off season) so why bother paying for a good coach. We'll just wait till things look brighter so we can fire this guy and upgrade later.

I am so sick of Dumars. The Dumars from 03 - 05 was very good. The Dumars since is just terrible.

TroyF 07-07-2009 02:48 PM

***Here's a question. Let's say that you are Cleveland, and LeBron says to you that he's going to [names three teams], but that he will let you do a sign-and-trade. Do you do it? On the one hand, better to get something instead of nothing. On the other hand, I don't think that I could be the GM who traded LeBron away, no matter the reason.***

Lebron is already signed to a contract for next year. You can't do a sign and trade with him yet. You do S&T's with guys who are out of contract. Knowing this, I took that to mean you wait until next summer.

Right NOW? No way do you trade Lebron James now. No way, no how. If disaster strikes the team by the trade deadline (say Shaq and Moe Williams go down for the season and Cleveland is in distress), then you think about it.

All of this is irrelevant.

1) James isn't going to do that this year, because his PR people would never let it happen.

2) I'd be money that James is excited about Shaq being with him this year and he wants to win one for Cleveland before he leaves.

3) Cleveland needs to do everythingit can to keep Lebron so they look good for their fans, if for no other reason. They won't deal him unless they have no other options.

TroyF 07-07-2009 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeToxRox (Post 2066430)
So the Pistons will name George Kuester their new Head Coach after Dumars couldn't lure Avery Johnson to Detroit.

Now I am indifferent to Avery but this quote Joe gave today regarding the Avery situation is absurd:

"Where we are right now as a team is kind of like where we were at the start of the Rick Carlisle era," Dumars said. "And a $4 to $5 million (a year) coach is not what we need right now. We didn't have one of those until we were close to contending for a championship when we got Larry (Brown)."

Translation: We are going to suck for a while (Even though we spent 90 million dollars on two guys this off season) so why bother paying for a good coach. We'll just wait till things look brighter so we can fire this guy and upgrade later.

I am so sick of Dumars. The Dumars from 03 - 05 was very good. The Dumars since is just terrible.

Hey, DO NOT insult Joe Dumars. OK. Do not do it.

He single handedly helped build a western conference finals team. If he takes Melo, Denver takes Darko. (who then joins Skita as stiffs on the end of the Denver bench) If he doesn't take AI off of our hands, we don't get Billups and we have another first round playoff exit.

I'll hold off in my assessment of his moves this year until I see what happens with Rip. He trades him for a solid player (some reports are Boozer), he has a far better team than last year.

albionmoonlight 07-07-2009 02:58 PM

FWIW, I meant sign-and-trading LeBron in 2010 after his contract is up.

As noted above, I think that the question is moot because, if LeBron wants to leave, he does not want to deplete his destination team and whatever slight extra money he could get from a sign-and-trade would basically be a rounding error compared to his endorsement deals.

Another interesting (and even less relevant) question is what kind of contract he would get if the NBA had a salary cap but no max contracts.

Gary Gorski 07-08-2009 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeToxRox (Post 2066430)

Agreed - why fire one guy with no head coaching experience just to turn it over to another with no head coaching experience? The revolving door of coaches here has been absurd. Drafting has been poor. Trades...I still don't have a problem with Billups for Iverson if a) you let AI be AI and try to score 25 a night and b) you then take the cap room you got from making that awful trade and use it on something to build the future of the franchise with.

Instead we try to turn Iverson into a "team player" and the botching of the minutes leads to Rip being pissed, AI being pissed and being horribly ineffective but then to top it off we take what was supposed to be the real gem in that deal, the cap room, and turn it into a shoot first SG (when we saw how that already played out last year with our disgruntled all-star SG) and into a guy who did so little in his first few seasons in the league that even Milwaukee didn't care about him anymore. Nice work Joe, nice work. I think the free pass is up as a genius GM for drafting Tayshaun late in the draft and for Sheed helping us win a championship for a few months without imploding the team (at that point anyway).

stevew 07-08-2009 12:17 AM

Quote:

It's possible but the cap isn't going to outpace what it was originally going to be in 2010. Looking at it from 06 anyways.

stevew 07-08-2009 12:21 AM

There's virtually no value in sign/trade LeBron in the 2010 summer. You would be lucky to get a serviceable player or two, plus maybe a couple picks.

Or a trade exception and a draft pick.

Basically there's almost no leverage in the situation. He can walk to another team with cap space(and you'd have to call them and beg for a 2nd rounder in order to get a trade exception, because the trade exception would somewhat benefit the cavs). He can try to go to a team with not enough cap space, and then you have to make the call whether or not it's worth helping him out and looking bad in front of your fans.

He's virtually irreplaceable to trade mid season, and there's almost no way you'd get the other team's previous best young player in return for him.

Matthean 07-08-2009 12:24 AM

Outside of the moves that earned him Executive of the Year, Dumars has done next to nothing while missing on Darko and getting rid of coaches. His winning the award seems more like lightning in a bottle as every year passes.

stevew 07-08-2009 12:27 AM

the Lux tax came in at 69.92m, which is about 1.5m less than anticipated.

stevew 07-08-2009 04:08 AM

dola-
They are projecting a cap of 50.4-53.6M in 2010, which is a significant drop from this year.

I dunno why LeBron is going to want to run to NY when he's going to be at 30% of their cap and they'll only have 35-37m to get 14 other players. But that's just me. It'd have to be a worse environment for winning than Cleveland at that point.

I mean, if they go out and land LeBron and Bosh, sure they'll be good. But then they'll have 20m for 13 other players, we're talking min salary for rotation players at that point.

Next summer, if the cap is in that low of a range....

LeBron doesn't opt out, and signs 5 year extension next summer-result- he's signed for a total of 6yrs/129M
LeBron opts out, signs 5 year FA contract elsewhere next summer-result- signed for 5 years/$87.7M-93M

Samdari 07-08-2009 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevew (Post 2067075)
There's virtually no value in sign/trade LeBron in the 2010 summer. You would be lucky to get a serviceable player or two, plus maybe a couple picks.

So, is that more or less than letting him walk for nothing?

whomario 07-08-2009 10:27 AM

btw, summer league is under way, for now the small one down in Orlando :
MAGIC: 2009 Orlando Pro Summer League

thereīs a live stream including hilariously sarcastic commentary by a couple of pretty cool Magic-associated media guys (do some internet show for them).
Not everyoneīs type of commentary, but itīs summer league for christīs sake which really should be serious only for the guys involved.

Anyhow : Ryan Anderson can play. ? I would not at all be surprised to see him play 25-30 minutes a game and partly fill the void Turkoglu leaves with 12 and 7. Can shoot, can put the ball on the floor and is a better rebounder than any Magic not named Howard (assuming the Polish Hammer really is let go to the Mavs)

gstelmack 07-08-2009 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevew (Post 2067105)
LeBron doesn't opt out, and signs 5 year extension next summer-result- he's signed for a total of 6yrs/129M
LeBron opts out, signs 5 year FA contract elsewhere next summer-result- signed for 5 years/$87.7M-93M

LeBron is supposed to be moving for endorsement money, not NBA salary.

TroyF 07-08-2009 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Gorski (Post 2067069)
Agreed - why fire one guy with no head coaching experience just to turn it over to another with no head coaching experience? The revolving door of coaches here has been absurd. Drafting has been poor. Trades...I still don't have a problem with Billups for Iverson if a) you let AI be AI and try to score 25 a night and b) you then take the cap room you got from making that awful trade and use it on something to build the future of the franchise with.

Instead we try to turn Iverson into a "team player" and the botching of the minutes leads to Rip being pissed, AI being pissed and being horribly ineffective but then to top it off we take what was supposed to be the real gem in that deal, the cap room, and turn it into a shoot first SG (when we saw how that already played out last year with our disgruntled all-star SG) and into a guy who did so little in his first few seasons in the league that even Milwaukee didn't care about him anymore. Nice work Joe, nice work. I think the free pass is up as a genius GM for drafting Tayshaun late in the draft and for Sheed helping us win a championship for a few months without imploding the team (at that point anyway).

Gary,

I still don't think you realize how bad of a player AI is now. The reason the Nuggets (and then Pistons) tried so hard to make him a team player is that he'd lost not one, but two steps over the offseason of 07/08 to 08/09. I know people inside the Denver organization. They were terrified by what they saw in training camp. AI was having difficulty getting around guys like Mateen Cleaves in training camp, yet AI still refused to go into the team concept. His selfishness was dividing the team. Trading for AI was a mistake from the beginning IMHO.

The Nuggets resigned Birdman today. 3.7 million the first year of a five year backloaded/incentive based deal. Probably overpaid a tad, but he's a huge fan favorite and puts fans in the seats.

The Nuggets want to use the rest of their MLE on Frye. (they didn't hold bird rights on the birdman) They have two trade exceptions to use as well. One valued at close to 9 million (from the Camby trade) and one for a little over 3 million (from the Atkins trade) The rumor in Denver is if the Nugets can get a rotation player capable of getting the Nuggets closer to the top, they'll use it and go into the tax. Not sure if I buy that or not.

Loved the Lawson pick, but I think they need one more guy to just hold onto their division crown.

TroyF 07-08-2009 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevew (Post 2067105)
dola-
They are projecting a cap of 50.4-53.6M in 2010, which is a significant drop from this year.

I dunno why LeBron is going to want to run to NY when he's going to be at 30% of their cap and they'll only have 35-37m to get 14 other players. But that's just me. It'd have to be a worse environment for winning than Cleveland at that point.

I mean, if they go out and land LeBron and Bosh, sure they'll be good. But then they'll have 20m for 13 other players, we're talking min salary for rotation players at that point.

Next summer, if the cap is in that low of a range....

As has been said, he's moving for marketing reasons.

The other side of this is that LeBron knows this right now. He knows what the figures are. If he wanted to stay in Cleveland, why not sign the extension right now? Because he knows he doesn't want to stay and doesn't care about the NBA salary. Period.

stevew 07-08-2009 08:10 PM

Two things Troy.

1. He's loyal to those that are close to him. His HS friends. His hometown.
Now maybe that's a facade but it is basically the only thing I have left to make me believe he would stay.

2. He is an off the charts drama queen. No way he signs the extension now and gives up the chance to be the center of attention for the next 12 months. No way. He gets off on the attention.

I personally think much of a marketing gain would be offset by the mercenary backlash.

TroyF 07-08-2009 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevew (Post 2067876)
Two things Troy.

1. He's loyal to those that are close to him. His HS friends. His hometown.
Now maybe that's a facade but it is basically the only thing I have left to make me believe he would stay.

2. He is an off the charts drama queen. No way he signs the extension now and gives up the chance to be the center of attention for the next 12 months. No way. He gets off on the attention.

I personally think much of a marketing gain would be offset by the mercenary backlash.

Did Shaq get a backlash when he went to LA?

and as far as him being loyal to his hometown, I don't see it. Look at Lebron's favorite teams. We have the Cowboys and Yankees. He's the front runner we all hate to be around.

I will agree with you on the drama queen. I love the fact he can't handle the fact a college kid dunked on him. It's horrible to see such a great player get his vagina bruised so easily.

Neon_Chaos 07-09-2009 02:10 AM

LeBron is turning out to be such a diva.

stevew 07-09-2009 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TroyF (Post 2068143)
Did Shaq get a backlash when he went to LA?

Yeah, true. I knew you were going to say Shaq. But I think going to the Lakers is a bit more prestigious than going to the Shitty Knicks. Maybe that's me. The Lakers did suck before Shaq got there, i think. But I don't think they were an embarassment to the league to the proportion that the Knicks have been over the last 5-8 years.

larnott 07-09-2009 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevew (Post 2068181)
Yeah, true. I knew you were going to say Shaq. But I think going to the Lakers is a bit more prestigious than going to the Shitty Knicks. Maybe that's me. The Lakers did suck before Shaq got there, i think. But I don't think they were an embarassment to the league to the proportion that the Knicks have been over the last 5-8 years.

The Lakers won 53 ('96) and 48 ('95) games the two seasons prior to Shaq's arrival. In Shaq's first year in LA, they won 56.

Big Fo 07-09-2009 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos (Post 2068179)
LeBron is turning out to be such a diva.

Yeah this dunking incident plus his post playoff exit classlessness, plus various other things I've read about the guy, I'm just not a fan.

Iverson signs for Memphis, 1 yr/$5m (edit- I might have posted this too soon, ESPN says the Heat and another team are still after AI)

A complicated four-team deal sees Dallas land Sean Marion and Toronto finalize the Turkoglu signing while preserving their mid-level exception.

Quote:

The deal, according to sources, calls for the Mavericks to acquire Marion and Kris Humphries from Toronto and Greg Buckner from Memphis, with Marion to receive a five-year contract worth an estimated $39 million. Buckner has had two previous stints with the Mavericks but is likely to be released, sources said.

The Grizzlies will land Jerry Stackhouse from Dallas, Quincy Douby from Toronto and a substantial cash payment to buy out Stackhouse's contract. Only $2 million of Stackhouse's $7.25 million salary next season is guaranteed, as long as he is waived by Aug. 10.

The Raptors will receive Devean George and Antoine Wright from the Mavericks, while also preserving their $5.9 million mid-level exception for the coming season by turning their acquisition of Turkoglu -- who is getting a five-year deal worth an estimated $53 million -- into a sign-and-trade as opposed to an outright signing. Assembling the trade this way could also enable Toronto to re-sign Carlos Delfino, after it appeared that the Raptors would have to renounce Delfino to help make room for the Turkoglu signing.

The Magic, meanwhile, were motivated to join in the trade because their participation, as opposed to merely letting Turkoglu walk, will create a valuable trade exception they can use in future deals worth around $7 million.

MikeVic 07-09-2009 08:17 AM

I thought Humphries was alright, but overall I think this is good for the Raptors. They can still go after someone (like Delfino). NBA Championships here we come! :p

Logan 07-09-2009 09:27 AM

So according to Cleveland management, two critical pieces to getting LeBron to stay were "use 1st rounder to draft a guy who is 5 years away" and "give Varejao $50 million."

JeeberD 07-09-2009 09:38 AM

Rockets get an injury exception for Yao and use that to sign Ariza, saving their MLE for someone else. Who else is still out there that's worth it, though?

Gary Gorski 07-09-2009 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TroyF (Post 2067350)
Gary,

I still don't think you realize how bad of a player AI is now. The reason the Nuggets (and then Pistons) tried so hard to make him a team player is that he'd lost not one, but two steps over the offseason of 07/08 to 08/09. I know people inside the Denver organization. They were terrified by what they saw in training camp. AI was having difficulty getting around guys like Mateen Cleaves in training camp, yet AI still refused to go into the team concept. His selfishness was dividing the team. Trading for AI was a mistake from the beginning IMHO.

I will take your word for it - although I did see a stretch in the season with Rip hurt where Iverson played well and lead us to some Ws. I just think that he's the kind of guy who could elevate his game, maybe just for one more year, just to prove that he's not washed up but he's got to be in a situation where he does not need to be a team player and he's basically said as much.

As for the trade being a mistake - I'll certainly say it was now. We were not going to win anything with that team - Iverson could have at least been entertaining though and kept the butts in the seats and we were going to have great financial flexibility without Billups' contract and Sheed and it was time to rebuild. So we draft a skinnier Tayshaun Prince and sign two guys that their own teams didn't even try to keep to huge contracts. So now we still have three shooting guards (I haven't seen anything out of Stuckey yet to make me call him a point), two skinny small forwards, Villanueva and the 312th coach (or so) under Joe Dumars reign. Let's just bring back the teal jerseys and we'll be right back where we started.

whomario 07-09-2009 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeeberD (Post 2068338)
Rockets get an injury exception for Yao and use that to sign Ariza, saving their MLE for someone else. Who else is still out there that's worth it, though?

propably no one, but maybe if they split it for 2 players. Plus Von Wafer isnīt eligible for Bird Rights as far as i know, so they need part of the MLE to offer him more than the minimum.
Maybe Linas Kleiza for a big part of it ? The guy is good offensively.
Maybe Matt Barnes ?

I have a secret hope for Marvin Williams (Ariza can guard 2s, no problem here) with the Hawks spending all that money on Bibby and Pachulia, maybe they wouldnīt match a full MLE offer for some weird monetary reasons ?

stevew 07-09-2009 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larnott (Post 2068189)
The Lakers won 53 ('96) and 48 ('95) games the two seasons prior to Shaq's arrival. In Shaq's first year in LA, they won 56.

yeah, i was thinking 92/93, and 93/94

whomario 07-09-2009 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Logan (Post 2068322)
So according to Cleveland management, two critical pieces to getting LeBron to stay were "use 1st rounder to draft a guy who is 5 years away" and "give Varejao $50 million."

IMO Varejao is not that overpriced. 50 for 6 is coming out at about 8 mio a year. Sure too much, but would you get a replacement for less ? Heīs propably gonna be a starter for a long time and is a good defensive players. If he improves a bit offensively (actually shows promise with his National team, also in stretches for Cleveland) he could be a defensive minded player that gives you like 13/9. That for 8 mio sounds about OK for me.

They also signed Anthony Parker for 2 years and 6 mio. Had a subpar year and isnīt getting younger (playing years in Europe is less mileage though with fewer games), but heīs definitely a nice upgrade over anything the Cavs had at the 2/3 off the bench last season.

stevew 07-09-2009 04:35 PM

Andy basically got a notch above the MLE for 6 years, before incentives.

I guess I can live with it. I like the Parker signing, and they still have a few moves they can possibly make as well. We can go up by like 10m in salary to get to the 90m range.

Galaril 07-09-2009 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larrymcg421 (Post 2064957)
Looks like Sheed is signing with the Celtics...

Reports: Wallace agrees to deal with Celtics - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

lARRY,

I came here to see what folks thought of the Celts signing him and am a little surprised there isn't any posts about it. That partly leads me to more than ever believe the Celts are once again the team to beat in the East with a healthy Garnett and resigning Big Baby Davis.And on a related note what the fuck are the Magic doing? Are they dumping payroll to prepare for free agency in 2010? I took a look at there roster they have traded away Lee, Gortat, Turkgulu, and Alston along with Jhnson/Reddick having expiring contracts makes me scratch my head. The Cavs are better with Shaq but how much better?

Sublime 2 07-09-2009 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galaril (Post 2068823)
lARRY,

I came here to see what folks thought of the Celts signing him and am a little surprised there isn't any posts about it. That partly leads me to more than ever believe the Celts are once again the team to beat in the East with a healthy Garnett and resigning Big Baby Davis.And on a related note what the fuck are the Magic doing? Are they dumping payroll to prepare for free agency in 2010? I took a look at there roster they have traded away Lee, Gortat, Turkgulu, and Alston along with Jhnson/Reddick having expiring contracts makes me scratch my head. The Cavs are better with Shaq but how much better?

These were my thoughts on the idea from a few pages back:

"If they get him for the MLE for two years, then I'm 100% behind it. That interior D would be a nightmare for opposing teams, and his ability to stretch the floor continues to open up the lane for Rondo/Allen/Pierce/TA etc. If we only have one motivated year of Sheed, it's well worth it!"

I'm still very behind it! I'm hoping for Hill at the LLE, but I just don't see it. That would really make our bench top notch, to go with a healthy KG would really put the C's back as top 3 team in the league.

whomario 07-10-2009 03:38 AM

regarding the Magic :

They had a logjam at the 2 and 3, with more players than nescessary. Plus donīt sleep on Ryan Anderson whi is a solid rotation player they added that is more of a real PF than anyone they had last year.
And isnīt there a chance that Battie will be bought out by the Nets and return ?

Then i see Carter as a better player than Turkoglu.

Plus nelson is back, which kind of puts that situation back to where it was before that trade.

With a signing or 2 they will be in the mix.

RainMaker 07-10-2009 05:43 AM

There's some growing buzz about Boozer going to Chicago.

NBA free agents: Sources: Deal to send Carlos Boozer to the Chicago Bulls in works - ESPN

I think the trade makes sense for just about everyone (although all the players aren't mentioned). The Blazers get a much needed PG who can hit some outside shots and play defense. The Jazz are able to get something for Boozer before he bolts next year, as well as free up some money for Milsap.

I like it as a Bulls fan because it's only one year of Boozer. It'll be his contract year too and they aren't giving up too much for him. Hinrich's contract isn't that great and I think they've just lost their patience with Tyrus Thomas (who is really exciting but needs some better coaching). They are still in the game in 2010 for whatever free agents become available. If nothing looks promising and Boozer works out well, they leave themselves in prime position to lock him up for more than anyone else can.

It's still unrealistic to put them as contenders in the East with the move, but I do think they become formidible. It will come down to how much Rose develops in his 2nd year and without Ben Gordon hogging it from him. But a starting 5 of Rose, Salmons, Deng, Boozer, and Noah isn't too bad.

Gary Gorski 07-10-2009 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sublime 2 (Post 2068924)

"If they get him for the MLE for two years, then I'm 100% behind it. That interior D would be a nightmare for opposing teams, and his ability to stretch the floor continues to open up the lane for Rondo/Allen/Pierce/TA etc. If we only have one motivated year of Sheed, it's well worth it!"

I'm still very behind it! I'm hoping for Hill at the LLE, but I just don't see it. That would really make our bench top notch, to go with a healthy KG would really put the C's back as top 3 team in the league.

If you're willing to accept the C's as a top team for one more season you're going to be happy. If you expect them to be anything but a major rebuild job by the time his 3 year deal is up then you're going to wish he didn't sign. If you would like to see the "after" please note Portland is just now becoming a relevant team again and take a look at the team that has been the dominant East team in the 2000s. That is what you have to look forward to. :popcorn:

Ronnie Dobbs2 07-10-2009 08:49 AM

I'm pretty sure most Celtic fans realize the window is short and the fall will be steep. All of our best players are old as shit save Rondo.

Coffee Warlord 07-10-2009 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainMaker (Post 2069432)
I like it as a Bulls fan because it's only one year of Boozer. It'll be his contract year too and they aren't giving up too much for him. Hinrich's contract isn't that great and I think they've just lost their patience with Tyrus Thomas (who is really exciting but needs some better coaching). They are still in the game in 2010 for whatever free agents become available. If nothing looks promising and Boozer works out well, they leave themselves in prime position to lock him up for more than anyone else can.

It's still unrealistic to put them as contenders in the East with the move, but I do think they become formidible. It will come down to how much Rose develops in his 2nd year and without Ben Gordon hogging it from him. But a starting 5 of Rose, Salmons, Deng, Boozer, and Noah isn't too bad.

Tyrus, okay. Hinrich...no way. Who else is going to handle the ball? Deng is not a guard, Salmons isn't all that great of ball handler. Can't have Rose playing the entire game, and if they move Hinrich, you have precisely one point guard.

DeToxRox 07-10-2009 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord (Post 2069566)
Tyrus, okay. Hinrich...no way. Who else is going to handle the ball? Deng is not a guard, Salmons isn't all that great of ball handler. Can't have Rose playing the entire game, and if they move Hinrich, you have precisely one point guard.

Precisely one more then the Pistons.

Coffee Warlord 07-10-2009 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeToxRox (Post 2069622)
Precisely one more then the Pistons.

Modeling the Pistons offseason is probably not the smartest course of action. :)

RainMaker 07-10-2009 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord (Post 2069566)

Hinrich's contract is bad. They'll probably get someone like Blake back in the deal as a backup. I wouldn't mind having Lindsey Hunter back either.

Coffee Warlord 07-10-2009 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainMaker (Post 2069798)
Hinrich's contract is bad. They'll probably get someone like Blake back in the deal as a backup. I wouldn't mind having Lindsey Hunter back either.

Hinrich's contract actually goes down every year. It's high, but it's far from a really bad contract.

RainMaker 07-10-2009 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord (Post 2069959)
Hinrich's contract actually goes down every year. It's high, but it's far from a really bad contract.

It's still $9 million in 2010 and over $8 million in 2011. That seems like a lot for a backup guard. I think they want to make the move so that they have all the room in the world in 2010. They'd be able to offer up a much better situation for Lebron, Wade, and Bosh. My gut is they could land one of those guys and still have some wiggle room for another player.

Galaril 07-10-2009 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 (Post 2069543)
I'm pretty sure most Celtic fans realize the window is short and the fall will be steep. All of our best players are old as shit save Rondo.

One postive I see with the Celtics they seem to be following suit from the other Boston teams that have been very successful (Pats-Sox) with a wheeling and dealing risk taking GM in Ainge. I have a good degree of confidence we will be able to stay competitive through the Draft and FA down the road.

I wonder what will become of Big Baby losing Powe and him would be a blow even with Sheed.
D

Coffee Warlord 07-10-2009 02:20 PM

They shed a TON of payroll as it is next year, with Miller & Salmons (and others, I think) being off the books. Hinrich is a pretty solid player, an excellent defender, and in my opinion, paired better with Rose down the stretch.

They're not going to get Lebron. If he leaves Cleveland, he's going to New York, end of story. They'll have the room even with Hinrich's contract to give a major offer to Wade or Bosh.

Giving up Hinrich is not worth a 1 year rental.

ThunderingHERD 07-10-2009 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord (Post 2069987)
They shed a TON of payroll as it is next year, with Miller & Salmons (and others, I think) being off the books. Hinrich is a pretty solid player, an excellent defender, and in my opinion, paired better with Rose down the stretch.

They're not going to get Lebron. If he leaves Cleveland, he's going to New York, end of story. They'll have the room even with Hinrich's contract to give a major offer to Wade or Bosh.

The trade absolutely makes them better this year and it won't be hard to replace a 13 PER PG with the 9 million dollars that won't be going to Heinrich next year. I do like Tyrus Thomas, though.

edit: Actually, I'm not convinced it "absolutely makes them better." That's contingent on Boozer getting back to form and Thomas not having a break out year.

RainMaker 07-10-2009 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord (Post 2069987)

He's not an excellent defender anymore. He's lost a step from where he was back in 2005 and 2006. I like Kirk a lot but he's not worth that kind of money, especially as a backup. If you have a chance to dump that salary, I think you have to.

Boozer still gives them the right to do a sign and trade next offseason I believe and makes them a potential contender in the East.

Arles 07-10-2009 06:39 PM

Grant Hill decided to stay in Phoenix and take less money ($3 mil in 09 plus an option) and the Suns also sign Arizona alum Channing Frye to a 2-year $3.8 mil deal. Both good values for the Suns and the team appears to be finalizing a 2-year extension for Steve Nash and is keeping Amare.

So, the Suns are still a borderline 8-10 seed team, but they won't be the train wreck they appeared to be headed for 2-3 weeks ago (esp since OK City has their pick next season).

RainMaker 07-10-2009 06:58 PM

Apparently the Bulls want Bayless back from Portland in any deal. Sam Smith who was a Bulls beat writer for decades and has a lot of close ties to the organization is saying this is a completely bullshit rumor put out by Portland.

Portland has offered Milsap a front-loaded 4 year deal. There is no way the Jazz can match that without trading Boozer. Will be an interesting week to see what the Jazz do. I have a feeling Boozer ends up in Detroit.

Gary Gorski 07-10-2009 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainMaker (Post 2070230)
I have a feeling Boozer ends up in Detroit.

Oh please no - not that it matters anyways it would only perfect our lineup. Lots of teams have won championships playing 2 SGs a SF and 2 PFs. Who needs a point guard or a center?

Gary Gorski 07-10-2009 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThunderingHERD (Post 2070011)
and Thomas not having a break out year.

Just how many years do you get to break out? Next thing you know we're going to wait for Darko to have a break out season. :D

RainMaker 07-11-2009 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Gorski (Post 2070269)
Just how many years do you get to break out? Next thing you know we're going to wait for Darko to have a break out season. :D

Thomas has shown more flashes. His stats last year were decent and he is a killer with blocks. He just needs a coach to tell him he's not a jump shooter and that he needs to play hard the entire game. I think he could be a solid 12 point, 10 rebound, 3 block a night guy who runs the other team's PF ragged. But it's not going to happen in Chicago and Jerry Sloan is probably his best shot at being converted.