Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   FOFC Archive (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   2009 MLB Regular Season Thread (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=70981)

Ksyrup 04-23-2009 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sterlingice (Post 2000901)
we should see Cruz for 8

LOL - I'm sooooo hoping Farnsworth comes in! :cool:

ISiddiqui 04-23-2009 01:23 PM

Yep... looks like the Meche deal was actually a very good deal.

sterlingice 04-23-2009 01:25 PM

Wow. We just got really, really, really lucky

SI

sterlingice 04-23-2009 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 2000905)
LOL - I'm sooooo hoping Farnsworth comes in! :cool:

You're still just mad at that "nondescript large market" team comment I made last week ;)

SI

DeToxRox 04-23-2009 01:29 PM

ESPN - OTL: Dream On A Shelf - E-ticket

Crazy story on Matt Harrington, how he turned down 4.5 mil and now makes 11.50 an hour.

sterlingice 04-23-2009 01:33 PM

Of course, Hillman spits in the face of lady luck and goes Grady Little on Meche. He was done (even tho he had 16 in a row retired, he was losing some speed on pitches) but left him in and now it's 2-2.

SI

Ksyrup 04-23-2009 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sterlingice (Post 2000925)
You're still just mad at that "nondescript large market" team comment I made last week ;)

SI

Not really. I actually like the Royals (except when they're playing the Tigers). I just thought it was funny that you assumed your manager would do the right thing when he's been a punching bag for the baseball writers/bloggers for making so many stupid decisions this year.

sterlingice 04-23-2009 01:40 PM

And I stand corrected:

G. Meche 7.1 5 4
0 7 0

Good job, Hillman. I'm not one to usually blast the manager, but that's 3 games this year directly lost due to bullpen management. If you really wanted to be damning to him, you could put 2 more games at his feet.

SI

CleBrownsfan 04-23-2009 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sterlingice (Post 2000941)
And I stand corrected:

G. Meche 7.1 5 4
0 7 0

Good job, Hillman. I'm not one to usually blast the manager, but that's 3 games this year directly lost due to bullpen management. If you really wanted to be damning to him, you could put 2 more games at his feet.

SI

Nice win for the Tribe! :popcorn: ;)

sterlingice 04-23-2009 01:55 PM

It's so unfair that Meche gets tagged for those runs after the game he pitched. He had 16 straight retired before he went out for the ill fated 8th and shouldn't have even been in there. The heat on Hillman is about to strongly intensify.

SI

Ksyrup 04-23-2009 01:56 PM

Although I'll always be happy the Phillies won it all in 2008, you know 2009 is probably not your year when you're getting no-hit by David FUCKING Bush!

Ksyrup 04-23-2009 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sterlingice (Post 2000971)
It's so unfair that Meche gets tagged for those runs after the game he pitched. He had 16 straight retired before he went out for the ill fated 8th and shouldn't have even been on there. The heat on Hillman is about to strongly intensify.

SI

I gotta think so. Even if they don't make a move this year if the team is in contention, lets say 3 AL Central teams win between 82 and 86 games. You will probably be able to pin enough losses on Hillman to justify the idea that the Royals should have won the division, and that would be enough for me to dump him. Although, to be fair about Farnsworth, as a GM you don't go out and overpay for a reliever and expect your manager to immediately stick him in "6th inning, behind by 4 runs" duty. So part of that is on Moore, too.

sterlingice 04-23-2009 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 2000980)
I gotta think so. Even if they don't make a move this year if the team is in contention, lets say 3 teams win between 82 and 86 games. You will probably be able to pin enough losses on Hillman to justify the idea that the Royals should have won the division, and that would be enough for me to dump him. Although, to be fair about Farnsworth, as a GM you don't go out and overpay for a reliever and expect your manager to immediately stick him in "6th inning, behind by 4 runs" duty. So part of that is on Moore, too.

Definitely. No one liked that move at the time. But you still can't keep going to that well to define the season, offseason, or complete GM's regime. It was a bad move and it goes down in the "loss" column of Moore's ledger but he still has more wins than losses in that book at this point in time.

There are 24 other guys on the team and 39 others on the 40-man (actually, I think we have 38 currently, but you get my point). So, the GM has a blind spot for a player- I'm pretty sure that's already been wiped out in a couple of weeks and this game had nothing to do with him.

This game has nothing to do with Farnsworth and it's, again, been enough games where Hillman has been too key of a figure in too many losses (5 of 7) already that he's in dangerous waters. I doubt they'll get rid of him in-season. But I wonder if that's even true as the Royals brought in John Gibbons, the former Jays manager, to be bench coach this past offseason so they have a "suitable" interim manager handy.

SI

Mizzou B-ball fan 04-23-2009 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sterlingice (Post 2000901)
(so far today, and hopefully that's it for him with 101 pitches on the board- we should see Cruz for 8, Soria for 9)
IP H R ER BB K HR Season ERA
G. Meche 7.0 2 1 1 0 7 0 2.00

So, yeah, 2+ years into that contract, it looks like Dayton Moore was the only one right about Gil. Never in my wildest dreams could he have done what he did and that is looking a hell of a lot like $55M well spent.

SI

Assuming Hochaver returns to the rotation soon, we likely will have our best rotation since the year we won the World Series. Meche, Greinke, Davis, Bannister, and Hochaver is an AWFULLY strong rotation. Judging from the huge crowds expected this weekend, the fans are excited as well.

Lathum 04-23-2009 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 2000972)
Although I'll always be happy the Phillies won it all in 2008, you know 2009 is probably not your year when you're getting no-hit by David FUCKING Bush!

whats the story with Hammels, did he get pulled for injury?

sterlingice 04-23-2009 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan (Post 2001004)
Assuming Hochaver returns to the rotation soon, we likely will have our best rotation since the year we won the World Series. Meche, Greinke, Davis, Bannister, and Hochaver is an AWFULLY strong rotation. Judging from the huge crowds expected this weekend, the fans are excited as well.

I caught the last 5 minutes of Soren's show after the game. He is absolutely right that the game tomorrow moves from 10K+ walkups and a possible sellout to maybe 5K. With people's opinions still forming, a loss like this can easily move those fairweather hesitant fans from "wow, we're excited" to "same old Royals".

SI

lungs 04-23-2009 02:22 PM

For anybody interested, Dave Bush is having a "very good game" in the 8th inning of the Brewers/Phillies game.

JonInMiddleGA 04-23-2009 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lathum (Post 2001016)

Philadelphia Phillies pitcher Cole Hamels leaves game after being struck in shoulder - ESPN

PHILADELPHIA -- Phillies pitcher Cole Hamels left Thursday's series finale against the Milwaukee Brewers after being struck in the shoulder by a line drive.

One pitch after Hamels gave up a two-run homer to Ryan Braun in the fourth inning, Prince Fielder laced an infield single that hit Hamels in the front of his left shoulder.

Trainers immediately tended to Hamels, who left the game with what the team called a left shoulder contusion. He was replaced by J.A. Happ.

Hamels was the MVP of the 2008 NL Championship Series and World Series but is off to a rough start this season. He had an 11.17 ERA through his first two starts.

He had cruised through the first three innings Thursday, striking out six of the nine batters he faced.

Dr. Sak 04-23-2009 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lathum (Post 2001016)

He got hit on the left shoulder by a line drive.

Dr. Sak 04-23-2009 02:30 PM

Stairs hit a HR to break it up.

lungs 04-23-2009 02:32 PM

Damn... after Billy Hall made that play I thought the recipe was complete for a no hitter.

Matt Stairs says otherwise.

sterlingice 04-23-2009 02:51 PM

And, you know, after a little bit of time to think about it- Hillman didn't necessarily make the wrong call. I'm just going to be lazy and cut and paste a response to another poster's post over a Royals Review since it sums up my thoughts:

Quote:

Originally Posted by SI@RR
“Do I think that it was grossly mismanaged, to the point of immediately firing the guy? Not really.

Do I think the he is proving himself to be a manager that is more likely to cost his team a game as opposed to win his team a game? Very quickly."

This game wasn’t a game that Hillman necessarily cost us. I would have gone Cruz 8 Soria 9 and since we already know we lost with what he did, my options are better. But that’s perfect hindsight.

He’s just been too involved in too many games that are questionable and too many decisions that have gone the other direction that there’s cause for concern.

SI

Butter 04-23-2009 04:01 PM

Reds preparing to shut the door on a 7-3 road trip. They were one of the worst road teams in baseball last year, so there is cause for excitement and celebration in Cincinnati.

Reds and Pirates both making it interesting early in the NL Central.

Coffee Warlord 04-23-2009 04:03 PM

Cubs bullpen is going to be the death of them.

Still pissed they didn't even bother to offer a contract to Kerry Wood.

JPhillips 04-23-2009 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 (Post 2001165)
Reds preparing to shut the door on a 7-3 road trip. They were one of the worst road teams in baseball last year, so there is cause for excitement and celebration in Cincinnati.

Reds and Pirates both making it interesting early in the NL Central.

Their four through eight hitters are batting:

I don't know whether I should be excited for how good they'll be when they start hitting or depressed at how bad they'll be if the pitching falters.

DeToxRox 04-23-2009 11:24 PM

If you're a fan of pitching then this Angels/Tigs series has not been for you. Wow this is bad stuff.

molson 04-23-2009 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeToxRox (Post 2000927)

Crazy story on Matt Harrington, how he turned down 4.5 mil and now makes 11.50 an hour.

That story blew my mind. He's kind of a sacrificial lamb of the player's union - you need a couple of guys like that out there so owners can know, in the back of their minds - maybe the guy won't sign, even if he has no leverage. Owners need to know (from the players' perspective) that an agent COULD walk away, even if his client has no other option.

I don't feel bad for him at all though. At some point he could have called any of those teams and got a low-money level over his agent's head.

Chief Rum 04-23-2009 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeToxRox (Post 2001468)
If you're a fan of pitching then this Angels/Tigs series has not been for you. Wow this is bad stuff.

Yeah, not pretty.

In case Tigers fans are wondering who the hell Matt Palmer is, here was the Angels starting pitching depth chart going into spring.

1. John Lackey (DL)
2. Ervin Santana (DL)
3. Joe Saunders
4. Jered Weaver
5. Kelvim Escobar (DL)
6. Dustin Moseley (DL)
7. Nick Adenhart (deceased :( )
8. Shane Loux
9. Darren Oliver (DL)
10. Anthony Ortega (off to bad start at AAA)
11. Sean O'Sullivan (off to bad start at AAA)
12. Rich Thompson (needed in pen)
13. Talk to Pedro's agent...
14. Talk to the Pads about Peavy
100. Palmer

Chief Rum 04-23-2009 11:42 PM

Oh, and for the kids counting at home, Palmer is pitcher #4 of the rotation now. I don't think the Angels have even announced which rabbit they're pulling out of their hat for Saturday's game.

DeToxRox 04-23-2009 11:43 PM

Yes, I like to think I have a somewhat decent pulse about other teams and when I heard Palmer, I was clueless. He of course shut us down.

Chief Rum 04-23-2009 11:43 PM

Oh, damn, Figgy just owned the Tigers, lol...

Chief Rum 04-23-2009 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeToxRox (Post 2001486)
Yes, I like to think I have a somewhat decent pulse about other teams and when I heard Palmer, I was clueless. He of course shut us down.

I have a fantastic feel for the pulse of this team, and I DIDN'T HAVE A CLUE WHO HE WAS. ;)

Of course, last week, we brought up some guy named Daniel Davidson to help fill out the pen, suffering from both injuries and ineffectiveness. Not only did I not know who he was, the Angels radio announcers admitted, on air, that they didn't know who he was either.

DeToxRox 04-23-2009 11:47 PM

Helluva bunt by Figgins. It's absurd how many infield hits the Angels have had this series. Just unreal.

Chief Rum 04-23-2009 11:47 PM

You know, I know he is disliked by Tigers fans, and home run aside, it hasn't been a good night for Inge (two errors, and a scorer's decision "deprived" him of a third). But if they don't want him, I would take Inge on an Angels team.

DeToxRox 04-23-2009 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Rum (Post 2001491)
You know, I know he is disliked by Tigers fans, and home run aside, it hasn't been a good night for Inge (two errors, and a scorer's decision "deprived" him of a third). But if they don't want him, I would take Inge on an Angels team.

This is a typical Inge night which is why he such a polarizing figure. He makes all these amazing plays, then has two boneheaded plays, and goes yard.

It's a little more too then just him opening his mouth, it's that his detractors are vocal, and his supporters are vocal, and that is probably a 50/50 split of all Tigs fans so around here it's constant bitching back and forth.

I like him when he shuts up and plays, which so far he has. And now that he finaly took coaching he has a much better swing and looks like a competent big league hitter.

I just hope he keeps it up and I'll be the first to admit I was wrong.

Chief Rum 04-23-2009 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeToxRox (Post 2001490)
Helluva bunt by Figgins. It's absurd how many infield hits the Angels have had this series. Just unreal.

Agreed. While it is something they are good at, with their contact ability and general team speed, the amount of them have been a little mind-boggling this series.

This isn't a good spot for the Tigers. Even when they were among the top teams in 2006-07, they struggled in Anaheim. Not that there's any shame in that, but the Tigers' record here is really poor. Like the Angels going to Tampa Bay or Toronto. We always struggle in those place, and that was before last year, too.

With what this team's been going through, I'll take whatever infield hits we can get. We need the room anyway to hopefully put it out of reach for our pen to blow.

DeToxRox 04-23-2009 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Rum (Post 2001493)
Agreed. While it is something they are good at, with their contact ability and general team speed, the amount of them have been a little mind-boggling this series.

This isn't a good spot for the Tigers. Even when they were among the top teams in 2006-07, they struggled in Anaheim. Not that there's any shame in that, but the Tigers' record here is really poor. Like the Angels going to Tampa Bay or Toronto. We always struggle in those place, and that was before last year, too.

With what this team's been going through, I'll take whatever infield hits we can get. We need the room anyway to hopefully put it out of reach for our pen to blow.

Ugh I keep thinking back to that game, and I forgot now if it was last year or the year before, then Todd Jones comes in for some reason in a 7 or 8 run game and just blew up and we lost.

Anaheim and the White Sox just abuse us. The former is fine, but it's even worse with the latter when we play damn near 20 times a year.

Chief Rum 04-23-2009 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeToxRox (Post 2001492)
This is a typical Inge night which is why he such a polarizing figure. He makes all these amazing plays, then has two boneheaded plays, and goes yard.

It's a little more too then just him opening his mouth, it's that his detractors are vocal, and his supporters are vocal, and that is probably a 50/50 split of all Tigs fans so around here it's constant bitching back and forth.

I like him when he shuts up and plays, which so far he has. And now that he finaly took coaching he has a much better swing and looks like a competent big league hitter.

I just hope he keeps it up and I'll be the first to admit I was wrong.

Yeah, I have heard he can get mouthy, and that is one thing I don't like (and can understand others not diggin' on).

The Angels' radio announcers were talking about him yesterday, said late last year he finally switched to a bat high type stance or maybe a foot in the bucket style a la Brian Downing of old (I forget), and that he has made much more consistent contact since then.

Chief Rum 04-23-2009 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeToxRox (Post 2001494)
Ugh I keep thinking back to that game, and I forgot now if it was last year or the year before, then Todd Jones comes in for some reason in a 7 or 8 run game and just blew up and we lost.

Anaheim and the White Sox just abuse us. The former is fine, but it's even worse with the latter when we play damn near 20 times a year.

Oh, Gawd, I remember that one. It was early in the season, maybe 2006? I think Kenny Rogers was having a great game that night, and Magglio hit two or something like that. And it all fell apart in the ninth. Didn't we score the winning run on a squeeze play or something? That game was crazy.

DeToxRox 04-23-2009 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Rum (Post 2001495)
Yeah, I have heard he can get mouthy, and that is one thing I don't like (and can understand others not diggin' on).

The Angels' radio announcers were talking about him yesterday, said late last year he finally switched to a bat high type stance or maybe a foot in the bucket style a la Brian Downing of old (I forget), and that he has made much more consistent contact since then.

Well Inge is a competitor but he was pissed in 2004 when we signed Pudge and he lost his catching gig. Then we get Miguel Cabrera and he is pissed about that.

I mean come on.

DeToxRox 04-23-2009 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Rum (Post 2001496)
Oh, Gawd, I remember that one. It was early in the season, maybe 2006? I think Kenny Rogers was having a great game that night, and Magglio hit two or something like that. And it all fell apart in the ninth. Didn't we score the winning run on a squeeze play or something? That game was crazy.

Yep. Ugh. I remember going to coach a hockey game and we were up huge, and when I come out, we're going to Extras.

The only good thing about coming to Anaheim is Granderson explodes, and he needed it this series because he was scuffling. Too bad he can't hit third. Instead we have Magglio who hasn't hit an XBH yet. Ugh.

Chief Rum 04-23-2009 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeToxRox (Post 2001497)
Well Inge is a competitor but he was pissed in 2004 when we signed Pudge and he lost his catching gig. Then we get Miguel Cabrera and he is pissed about that.

I mean come on.

Heh, well, yeah, he shouldn't be griping about not playing when you bring in stars like that. But I can see why he would get pissy, considering wasn't he one of the few decent players on that horrid 2003 team? He probably felt he established his role.

I guess he got his wish, since Cabrera's at 1B now.

Chief Rum 04-24-2009 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeToxRox (Post 2001499)
Yep. Ugh. I remember going to coach a hockey game and we were up huge, and when I come out, we're going to Extras.

The only good thing about coming to Anaheim is Granderson explodes, and he needed it this series because he was scuffling. Too bad he can't hit third. Instead we have Magglio who hasn't hit an XBH yet. Ugh.

No XBH for Magglio? We got one of those. Magglio, meet Abreu. Not sure what that's about. Both of those guys don't lack for power.

Granderson, man, I love that guy. He's a keeper. Speed and power. Seems like a good guy. Definitely someone to keep around. I love it when I can get him on my fantasy team.

Travis 04-24-2009 12:44 PM

Jays active pitching staff:
Rotation: Halladay, Purcey, Richmond, Tallet, ? (Guessing Cecil gets called up)
Closer: Downs

Pitchers on IR:
Rotation: McGowan, Marcum, Janssen, Romero
Closer: Ryan

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn

Butter 04-24-2009 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPhillips (Post 2001208)
Their four through eight hitters are batting:

I don't know whether I should be excited for how good they'll be when they start hitting or depressed at how bad they'll be if the pitching falters.

5 days ago, the 5 hole batter was hitting about .180 and 7-8 were both hitting sub-.100. They have improved.

Ronnie Dobbs2 04-24-2009 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travis (Post 2001840)

Pitchers on IR:

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn

Maybe you can get Chacin back.

Travis 04-24-2009 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 (Post 2001856)

I was hopeful they could limp the staff along until it was a realistic time to go after a rental SP to get them through the season, but this is getting ridiculous. Thank goodness for the hot start and hopefully the bats continue to show the influence Cito and his staff have had, but it's only so long before the bullpen will start to fatigue. Hopefully Janssen, Litsch and Romero can both get back relatively soon and bolster both the rotation and the pen.

SackAttack 04-24-2009 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeToxRox (Post 2000927)

Yeah, the last I heard, he had been drafted 4 or 5 times and turned them all down and was working at Best Buy.

darkenigma510 04-24-2009 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travis (Post 2001840)

Pitchers on IR:

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn

Ryan on the DL is a good thing, for now.

Some nobody got called up instead of Cecil.

darkenigma510 04-24-2009 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 (Post 2001856)

No thanks.

lordscarlet 04-24-2009 04:22 PM

Interesting...

Quote:

ERAs of the NL East rotations:
Braves: 3.27
Marlins: 4.28
Nats: 5.18
Mets: 5.77
Phils: 7.08

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/nat...tionalsjournal
Of course, with a bullpen like the Nats have, what does it matter?

Lathum 04-24-2009 04:34 PM

Take Santana out of the Mets starting rotation and it's beyond dreadful. The problem they have all had is they will be cruising along then get rocked for a big inning. It's been really frustrating so far.

They really need a sweep of the Natinals this weekend

lordscarlet 04-24-2009 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lathum (Post 2001968)
Take Santana out of the Mets starting rotation and it's beyond dreadful. The problem they have all had is they will be cruising along then get rocked for a big inning. It's been really frustrating so far.

They really need a sweep of the Natinals this weekend

No, the Natinals need to win the series against the Mets. :)

Lathum 04-24-2009 06:36 PM

6 outs 6 K's for Johan. He has been so dialed in this season.

lordscarlet 04-24-2009 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lathum (Post 2002036)
6 outs 6 K's for Johan. He has been so dialed in this season.

What a jerk he is. :)

2 SO for Olsen! 1 per inning sounds pretty good for a Nationals pitcher.

0-0, though. Bases loaded, 1 out for your Mets. Ugh.

Lathum 04-24-2009 06:49 PM

so sick, It has been brutal to watch the Mets continue to fuck Santana.

lordscarlet 04-24-2009 06:54 PM

Thankfully they are. :) There are still a lot of innings to play.

lordscarlet 04-24-2009 06:56 PM

mlb.com gameday is ahead of the audio on the iphone app.

Lathum 04-24-2009 07:00 PM

about time

Lathum 04-24-2009 07:01 PM

looks like Dukes is taking fielding lessons from Adam Dunn

Philliesfan980 04-24-2009 08:00 PM

Watching the Royals for the first time.. oh.. ever on my MLB.COM premium subscription. Greinke is really dealing tonight (as he has all year)

For anyone who doesn't have it, I would strongly recommend picking up the mlb.com subscription if you enjoy watching teams outside your home market play. The quality is absolutely amazing.

JS19 04-24-2009 08:01 PM

Didn't see the Dukes play, but I can't imagine it was any worse than this dive (More like trip over his own feet) Kearns just made.

Philliesfan980 04-24-2009 08:18 PM

Tough way for Greinke to lose his run streak.

DeToxRox 04-24-2009 08:18 PM

Grienke's streak is over at 38 innings (I believe it was). Unearned run though.

Danny 04-24-2009 09:02 PM

Is there a not allowing an earned run streak?

sterlingice 04-24-2009 09:02 PM

I just got back in time to read that :(

Still, 0.00 ERA this year

SI

Philliesfan980 04-24-2009 09:04 PM

The Phillies are putting a beating on the Marlins in the 9th inning. 7 runs through so far this inning, with the Phils leading 7-3.

Marlins fans have got to be frustrated. Every year, they seem to be lacking in one major phase of the game. This year it's the bullpen.

sterlingice 04-24-2009 09:05 PM

And, just to remind everyone that he's still in the game and feeling ok, Zack K's the side in the 8th

SI

lordscarlet 04-24-2009 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lathum (Post 2002059)
looks like Dukes is taking fielding lessons from Adam Dunn

He's been pretty solid out there, particularly when compared to Milledge.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JS19 (Post 2002086)
Didn't see the Dukes play, but I can't imagine it was any worse than this dive (More like trip over his own feet) Kearns just made.

Now Kearns is another story.

Jesus Flores (not a power hitter) with a 2 Run HR to make this a game. 4-3, 1 out with a PH for the P. Top of the order to follow.

And Cintron is on base.

lordscarlet 04-24-2009 09:17 PM

er, I don't know what I thought I heard, but Cintron just struck out.

lordscarlet 04-24-2009 09:18 PM

Mets win. It could have been worse. A 4-3 loss with Santana pitching.

sterlingice 04-24-2009 09:20 PM

So, yeah, Zack with another complete game- 1 unearned run. He's now 4-0 with a 0.00 ERA. Tonight: 3 hits, 1 walk, 10 K's.

Season: 4-0, 29 IP, 19 H, 6 BB, 36 K, 0.00 ERA

SI

Lathum 04-24-2009 09:49 PM

Big win for us tonight, got a little nervous there in the end but apparently thats KRods MO

Honolulu_Blue 04-24-2009 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sterlingice (Post 2002138)
So, yeah, Zack with another complete game- 1 unearned run. He's now 4-0 with a 0.00 ERA. Tonight: 3 hits, 1 walk, 10 K's.

SI

Zack Grienke: Fantasy Hero.

I love you, Zack Grienke!!

sterlingice 04-24-2009 09:54 PM

I love MLB Network look-ins. Just caught the Bay homer that tied the Red Sox-Yankees game.

SI

sterlingice 04-24-2009 10:23 PM

Also, speaking of MLB Network- I really like the MLB Tonight team with Greg Amsinger, Harold Reynolds, and Mitch Williams. I was really surprised by this but I really like Mitch Williams- he typically has good insight and has a pretty good desk presence. The show doesn't have too much stupid yelling and they don't seem too cocky. It's what BBTN used to be.

SI

samifan24 04-24-2009 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sterlingice (Post 2002138)

SI

Greinke is the man.

jeff061 04-24-2009 11:51 PM

Awesome game in Boston. Bay hits a tying 2 run homer with 2 outs left in the bottom of the 9th. Then Youk wins it with an HR in the 11th.

Club seats had a pretty spectacular view. I was front row slightly left of home plate. Great night. The restaurant/bar portion of the club seemed pretty pointless, I was only there on my way to and on my way from my seats. Is it open non game nights?

JonInMiddleGA 04-24-2009 11:53 PM

Brian McCann expected to be placed on the DL tomorrow, looks like another Lasik surgery to try to fix the eye problem he's been fighting with for a couple of weeks.

Swaggs 04-25-2009 12:06 AM

Watching the Pirates and Padres, w/ Brian Giles on the Padres and it made me wonder...

Anyone know whatever happened to Marcus Giles? I know he was pretty good (well above average, at least) for several seasons with Atlanta and then played one pretty subpar season with the Padres, but then it seems like his career just ended at a pretty young age (~30). Did he have injuries that he couldn't rehab or get in trouble or just retire from lack of desire or what?

Seems like a guy with his history could have hung on as, at least, a utility guy (probably making a million bucks a year or so) for another five years or so.

JonInMiddleGA 04-25-2009 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swaggs (Post 2002246)
Anyone know whatever happened to Marcus Giles? I know he was pretty good (well above average, at least) for several seasons with Atlanta and then played one pretty subpar season with the Padres, but then it seems like his career just ended at a pretty young age (~30). Did he have injuries that he couldn't rehab or get in trouble or just retire from lack of desire or what?

Had a minor league contract with the Phillies this off-season but got cut on March 30th after hitting just .167 in the spring.

There's kind of a general opinion I think that he's a guy who couldn't do the job without roids and that he stopped using them instead of getting caught.

stevew 04-25-2009 12:33 AM

Nothing like an 11 inning affair(with at least 5 relievers used) to start off a road trip for the Buccos. Man I hate these west coast 1040 starts. Mainly cause it's either find something else on MLB Mobile Audio, or listen to Michael Savage as I'm doing my driving route.

Swaggs 04-25-2009 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevew (Post 2002267)
Nothing like an 11 inning affair(with at least 5 relievers used) to start off a road trip for the Buccos. Man I hate these west coast 1040 starts. Mainly cause it's either find something else on MLB Mobile Audio, or listen to Michael Savage as I'm doing my driving route.

I was especially pleased when, after watching for 3+ hours, the telecast decided to wash out for about 15-minutes in the 11th inning. I love Fox Sports Pittsburgh and their top-notch production! I don't know how I lived without it for 5 years.

Swaggs 04-25-2009 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 2002253)
Had a minor league contract with the Phillies this off-season but got cut on March 30th after hitting just .167 in the spring.

There's kind of a general opinion I think that he's a guy who couldn't do the job without roids and that he stopped using them instead of getting caught.

That makes as much sense as anything else, I guess. Seems surprising he never got busted, since they had been testing during a good portion of his "prime," but his career track certainly fits the profile of a user.

Philliesfan980 04-25-2009 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sterlingice (Post 2002172)
Also, speaking of MLB Network- I really like the MLB Tonight team with Greg Amsinger, Harold Reynolds, and Mitch Williams. I was really surprised by this but I really like Mitch Williams- he typically has good insight and has a pretty good desk presence. The show doesn't have too much stupid yelling and they don't seem too cocky. It's what BBTN used to be.

SI

Mitch Williams also caught me by surprise last year when he started doing the Phillies post game shows on CSN. Based on his career in Philly, I assume he would be crass, obnoxious, and not well prepared. It was quite the opposite, he did a really nice job.

The MLB Network is quickly becoming my favorite sports channel. I hope it does well enough in the ratings to be in the game for the long haul.

Lathum 04-25-2009 02:00 PM

Pelfrey has looked great so far, I'm afraid they are gonna leave him in one inning to many

kingfc22 04-25-2009 02:14 PM

Lincecum last two starts: 16 IP, 1 ER, 25 K's, 1 BB

No worries here.

lordscarlet 04-25-2009 03:10 PM

Blah.

MizzouRah 04-25-2009 07:23 PM

Pujols is such a treat to watch.

Ksyrup 04-25-2009 10:46 PM

Quick question for those who have DTV's MLB Extra Innings package. I know last year they had a feature that allowed you to pull up the box score while watching the game, but I haven't seen the litle red button activation thing on my screen while waztching games this year. Did they dump that great feature, or is something screwed up on my end?

Lathum 04-26-2009 12:42 PM

Ping: LordScarlet

I'm watching the Mets-Nats game through MLB extra innings and getting the Nats broadcast. Are their TV guys always so annoying? It's mostly the color guy but if I have to hear them whine anymore about the Mets getting all the breaks and all the calls I'm going to lose my mind.

It's OK to say the Mets got a call, but the way they keep harping on it the whole inning is just crappy broadcasting.

Lathum 04-26-2009 12:43 PM

dola- Watching Daniel Murphy in left field is painful.

JonInMiddleGA 04-26-2009 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lathum (Post 2003784)
I'm watching the Mets-Nats game through MLB extra innings and getting the Nats broadcast. Are their TV guys always so annoying? It's mostly the color guy but if I have to hear them whine anymore about the Mets getting all the breaks and all the calls I'm going to lose my mind..

Is it Rob Dibble that's driving you nuts?
Broadcasters | nationals.com: Team

Atocep 04-26-2009 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lathum (Post 2003785)
dola- Watching Daniel Murphy in left field is painful.

Watching Oliver Perez pitch is worse.

Lathum 04-26-2009 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atocep (Post 2003837)
Watching Oliver Perez pitch is worse.

I think I mentioned this in the Mets thread but in my 30 years of watching baseball he is without a doubt the most frustrating pitcher I have ever seen.

MrDNA 04-26-2009 07:42 PM

Nice for the Phils to lead one from soup to nuts. Of course, now we won't score any runs against the Nati(o)nals.

lordscarlet 04-26-2009 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lathum (Post 2003784)
Ping: LordScarlet

I'm watching the Mets-Nats game through MLB extra innings and getting the Nats broadcast. Are their TV guys always so annoying? It's mostly the color guy but if I have to hear them whine anymore about the Mets getting all the breaks and all the calls I'm going to lose my mind.

It's OK to say the Mets got a call, but the way they keep harping on it the whole inning is just crappy broadcasting.

Yes. Luckily I mostly listen to the radio broadcasts. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 2003833)
Is it Rob Dibble that's driving you nuts?
Broadcasters | nationals.com: Team

Yes. Has to be.

Great game for the Nationals today. First pitcher that is part of the "franchise" (Expos included) to win his first two career starts since Randy Johnson. I'm really excited about Zimmermann. He was even a bit off today, and still only allowed 1 run. I saw a stat that the Nationals are 4-1 with 22 year old pitchers, and 0-12 with the rest. It's possible the "build from the farm system" is seeing some light, but it's obviously very early to know for sure.

gstelmack 04-27-2009 12:42 PM

Ellsbury stole home in the Sox/Yankees game yesterday? Cool!

DaddyTorgo 04-27-2009 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gstelmack (Post 2004421)
Ellsbury stole home in the Sox/Yankees game yesterday? Cool!

yeah. i've been trying to embed the video but my browser at work or youtube has been being a dick

YouTube - Ellsbury steals home

He was safe by so much it wasn't even funny - if you watch the slo-mo at the end he even stumbles (he said he wanted to slide feet-first but changed his mind at the last second and stumbled) or he would have been back in the dugout before Posada caught the ball.

gstelmack 04-27-2009 01:01 PM

They allowed him quite a lead off third, and he's almost there before the ball even leaves Pettite's hand. That's just all kinds of awesome.