Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   The Sports Media Thread (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=84584)

JonInMiddleGA 04-25-2016 11:21 AM

I'm not particularly a fan of Green but given the question I have to at least golf clap for him here.

Well done sir.

Thomkal 04-26-2016 08:47 AM

I might be able to watch MNF with the sound on again...

Report: Monday Night Football announcer Mike Tirico leaving for NBC

Logan 04-26-2016 01:46 PM

Skip Bayless is leaving ESPN. Seems to be headed to FS1.

Thomkal 04-26-2016 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Logan (Post 3097442)
Skip Bayless is leaving ESPN. Seems to be headed to FS1.

So its a great day all around huh? :)

Logan 05-02-2016 03:26 PM

FS1 Launching "PTI"-Style Show Starring Cowherd, Whitlock

Honolulu_Blue 05-02-2016 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Logan (Post 3098522)

Nope!

Atocep 05-02-2016 03:52 PM

FS1 is doing a great job of helping ESPN get rid of their awful talent.

Hopefully Stephen A. Smith is next.

albionmoonlight 05-02-2016 04:00 PM

Quote:

The Webster to PTI's Different Strokes

cuervo72 05-02-2016 05:19 PM

News on a smaller scale, in DC Czaban and Pollin are back together for The Sports Reporters. Happy about this (Chris Cooley now has morning drive time).

bhlloy 05-02-2016 05:22 PM

Quote:

At least now if a large piece falls off the ISS and crashes through the atmosphere, we all have a landing spot to root for

spleen1015 05-03-2016 07:13 AM

I miss Czaban on a national show. Kornheiser too.

Easy Mac 05-03-2016 07:52 AM

Kornheiser streams and you can get the podcast on iTunes

bulletsponge 05-03-2016 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atocep (Post 3098532)
FS1 is doing a great job of helping ESPN get rid of their awful talent.

Hopefully Stephen A. Smith is next.

im confident ESPN can find brand new awful talent to fill in the holes

spleen1015 05-09-2016 02:55 PM

ESPN dropping Cris Carter and hiring Randy Moss.

What are thoughts on Cris Carter? I've always liked him and think this is a dumb move by ESPN.

Thomkal 05-09-2016 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spleen1015 (Post 3099653)

What are thoughts on Cris Carter? I've always liked him and think this is a dumb move by ESPN.

Ray Lewis also out thankfully. I liked Carter-was a mainstay on Mike and Mike, so not sure what they will do now. Haven't really seen Moss on TV yet, but not generally a fan of him on the field. ESPN also added Matthew Hasselbeck and Charles Woodson.

Bobble 05-09-2016 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spleen1015 (Post 3099653)

I like C.C. and I think it's a poor choice to have him move on. Surprisingly, I found Keyshawn Johnson to be better than I expected. Further, I was surprised that Randy Moss was better than I expected when I heard him on something or other. Lest you think I just like everyone, Ditka was terrible. Stephen A. is abysmal. Skip Bayless is unwatchable.

Atocep 05-09-2016 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobble (Post 3099658)
I like C.C. and I think it's a poor choice to have him move on. Surprisingly, I found Keyshawn Johnson to be better than I expected. Further, I was surprised that Randy Moss was better than I expected when I heard him on something or other. Lest you think I just like everyone, Ditka was terrible. Stephen A. is abysmal. Skip Bayless is unwatchable.

I never really cared for Chris Carter. I agree with the rest.

ESPN has so much unwatchable "talent" that my time watching ESPN has dwindled to almost nothing. Berman, Vitale, Stephen A., Ditka, Corso, Broussard, and Holtz (and probably more) give me no reason to watch their shows anymore.

molson 06-01-2016 04:52 PM

Bill Simmons' "The Ringer" site went live today:

https://theringer.com/

I don't read a lot of really, really, really long articles unless I'm very interested in the topic already, but I look forward to the podcasts and HBO show. Though I don't think I need to hear Andrew Luck analyze Game of Thrones.

ISiddiqui 06-01-2016 04:55 PM

I don't know I feel about a "Joe Buck is Underrated" article on the first day...

cuervo72 06-03-2016 09:54 AM

Tony Kornheiser to leave D.C. radio after 24 years to launch podcast - The Washington Post

bob 06-03-2016 11:21 AM

Hmm... Are podcasts monetized enough to pay for him and his staff? I really have no clue.

I know one of his issues with ESPN 980 is the lack of pay for guests, which meant certain long time guests stopped coming on.

cuervo72 06-03-2016 01:40 PM

Some are wondering if this was more Red Zebra wanting him to go, that he didn't fit with the general All Redskins slant that the station has. No idea how much that might be the case.

Honolulu_Blue 06-03-2016 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by molson (Post 3102927)
Bill Simmons' "The Ringer" site went live today:

https://theringer.com/

I don't read a lot of really, really, really long articles unless I'm very interested in the topic already, but I look forward to the podcasts and HBO show. Though I don't think I need to hear Andrew Luck analyze Game of Thrones.

I checked it out. I liked Grantland more or less. There were a few people there that I really liked to read and none of them seemed to have made the jump to The Ringer with Simmons. I really liked a lot of their longer pieces and found most of the TV/movie reviews to be pretty in depth and intelligent.

Based on an early review, I'm not sure The Ringer is quite there yet. Not too many of the sports related stories were that interesting. The movie reviews were short and very bleh. And, while I've been huge "Game of Thrones" fan since 1999, there's just waaaaay too much Game of Thrones stuff on there. I get it. The website is related to HBO and "Game of Thrones" is HBO's only relevant show right now, but still. It's a bit much. Though, that could be said of most of the internet and "Game of Thrones."

ISiddiqui 06-03-2016 02:20 PM

To be fair, there has been a lot more sports articles since Day 1. A whole host of basketball ones came up before the NBA Finals. There was one on the NFL's failure to embrace technology, one about how the Dodgers are overthinking things, and one about the future star midfielders in European soccer: Pogba and Alaba. There is a good one on Julio Jones today.

Butter 06-14-2016 10:39 AM

So did anyone watch "All Takes Matter" or whatever the hell it's actually called on FS1 yesterday? The Cowherd-Whitlock show? Anything noteworthy about it other than it being another "guys yelling at each other" show, only this one with bigger idiots?

Logan 06-14-2016 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 (Post 3104615)
So did anyone watch "All Takes Matter" or whatever the hell it's actually called on FS1 yesterday? The Cowherd-Whitlock show? Anything noteworthy about it other than it being another "guys yelling at each other" show, only this one with bigger idiots?

It would probably be good for them to get 10% of First Take numbers, but even with that low bar, I can't imagine how it could draw that large of an audience.

ISiddiqui 06-14-2016 12:23 PM

Never underestimate the number of hate watchers?

korme 06-14-2016 12:29 PM

I saw it's called Speak for Yourself. A number of commentators on Deadspin were rightly pointing out this is terrible timing to debut a hot take show, middle of summer.

Logan 06-14-2016 04:09 PM

The Undefeated Can't Find Anything Bad To Say About Jameis Winston

Logan 06-14-2016 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Logan (Post 3104624)
It would probably be good for them to get 10% of First Take numbers, but even with that low bar, I can't imagine how it could draw that large of an audience.

Not far off. First episode had 94K viewers, or 11.6% of yesterday's PTI audience.

panerd 06-24-2016 03:46 PM

I originally posted this in the Joe Buck thread but it is stuck in the archive...

This felt like the appropriate thread to ask if anyone saw Bill Simmons new HBO show?

I'm a fan of some of Simmons stuff... Love the NFL podcasts especially the cousin Sal, like his takes on sports stuff on Twitter, ignore NBA and Boston rants. All that said what a heap of shit that first show was. It's like he has wanted to cuss for so many years that he just let it all loose like a freshman girl at her first frat party. The bits were terrible, the cussing was out of place, the set was just odd, and I stopped the Afflack thing about twenty seconds in. Anyone enjoy this?

Neuqua 06-24-2016 03:49 PM

I'd call myself a fan of Simmons and agree that show was awful. I'll still watch another couple episodes to let them hit their stride but otherwise I will stick to the Channel 33 podcasts which I have been really enjoying.

albionmoonlight 06-24-2016 03:50 PM

I did not see it.

There's good Simmons, and there's annoying Simmons.

Simmons and Ben Afleck going off on how unfair the world has been to poor Tom Brady? That is some nuclear-weapons grade annoying Simmons right there.

Hopefully, with some of that out of his system, the show will pick up.

His real talent seems to be in attracting and leading talented people. You can't pay him as much as HBO is paying him and not give him a show. But I think that his real value to HBO in not in front of a camera.

Fidatelo 06-24-2016 04:26 PM

I caught the first episode, I thought it was reasonably entertaining. I agree that the swearing seemed unnecessary. I thought the 'bits' were basically lame, but those might improve over time (or get scrapped for something else). I really enjoyed the Barkley interview. Affleck was silly, but I found it enjoyable enough in a 'good grief this is so over the top' kind of way.

Logan 06-24-2016 04:28 PM

I agree with albion's last point. Whether that is $7MM-9MM in value, who knows. Obviously they're paying him a ton but the rest of the costs associated with it would be pretty low. I don't think they'd let him do it forever if it sucks, but they're not risking much by giving him a half hour on a Wednesday night.

I consider myself a fan even though I now find him more annoying than anything. I think it's based on being "with him" forever and now I laugh at (laugh at him, not with him) how his current mindset in his mid 40s and as a multimillionaire still matches his mindset back in the day - which at the time matched my mindset as an 18-22 year old.

It's just entertainment. It's why I like him on podcasts 95% of the time still, because I'm doing something else while listening - exercising, commuting, food shopping, etc. But I have no real desire to sit and watch him be himself for a half hour on a Wednesday night.

I just can't believe those topics are how he chose to launch his show. If it was someone else hosting, he would have KILLED the guy for coming out with a take that already had been beaten to hell two days later. Much less, another segment focusing on something that the country has been sick of for months.

He got a lot of rough reviews and I can imagine it would have been much worse if everyone wasn't as focused on Affleck coming across as such a nut.

murrayyyyy 06-24-2016 06:19 PM

Affleck had to be drunk while that interview was going on.

stevew 07-06-2016 10:24 AM

The ESPN:The Body issue is really getting annoying. I'm not a prude, but I also don't want to login and see Connor MacGregor's bare ass in the middle of the page FFS.

Thomkal 07-06-2016 10:48 AM

some of us might :)

Subby 07-06-2016 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomkal (Post 3108493)
some of us might :)

:thumbsup:

Kodos 07-06-2016 11:07 AM

Would you be complaining if it was a hot woman?

Suicane75 07-06-2016 11:09 AM

Would you be complaining if it was Vince Wilfork. Cause I am.

ISiddiqui 07-06-2016 11:09 AM

Which also brings up the point of why does SI do a "Body Issue" or "Swimsuit Issue"? Is it a sports magazine or a men's life magazine which mostly talks about sports?

Suicane75 07-06-2016 11:13 AM

Hey, why Bill Gates still making magazines?

Suicane75 07-06-2016 11:19 AM

My issue is that every picture and portfolio is essentially the same 3 or 4 poses, which just adds to the redundancy. If you want to show the human body, show the human body. Lemme see Mike Trout in a wide open stance about to hammer a fastball with his dingle hanging out. Lemme see Paige Van Zant trying to lock in an anaconda vice with the groceries on display.

MikeVic 07-06-2016 12:14 PM

Haha I was going to post about the body issue stuff. I don't care if it's men or women, but when I want to spend a few minutes on break at work looking at some news, don't really want those showing up.

miami_fan 07-06-2016 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ISiddiqui (Post 3108498)
Which also brings up the point of why does SI do a "Body Issue" or "Swimsuit Issue"? Is it a sports magazine or a men's life magazine which mostly talks about sports?

It is a "begging anybody to click on this link or {gasp} buy a hard copy" magazine. A bunch of people are going to complain about it and two hundred more are going to look to see what all the fuss is about.:D

stevew 08-22-2016 10:49 PM

hxxp://www.espn.com/blog/ombudsman/post/_/id/723/espn-loosens-standards-with-treatment-of-body-issue-photos

I guess we are all oldies cause we object to seeing nudity where you wouldn't expect to see it.

stevew 10-06-2016 02:33 PM

Joe Buck reveals how hair replacement almost ended his career | SI.com

miami_fan 10-14-2016 01:41 PM

Flipping through the channels today, I passed through FS1 and saw Colin Cowherd doing his radio show. This is the first time I heard or saw his radio show since he left ESPN. It is also the first time I noticed Cowherd at all since the opening of the college football season last year when I saw him on the pre game show. To be fair, I was not a big Herd fan when he was at ESPN, so I would not go out of my way to find him like say Bill Simmons or Dan Patrick among ESPN alums. Just a bit surprised at my "Oh yeah, he does do a radio show" reaction.

Logan 10-14-2016 02:27 PM

Add Chris Broussard to the list...word is he's leaving for FS1.