Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   FOFC Archive (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Alright, boyz!! Here we go...FM 2007 First Impressions (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=53533)

Desnudo 11-11-2006 07:24 AM

Something I've always wondered:

Does player attribute growth benefit from them playing in internationals?

Also, how do I sign up mentors, or does it happen naturally?

illinifan999 11-11-2006 04:27 PM

If you go to player interaction you can choose to "link" a player with another and that's the whole mentoring/tutoring thing.

I'm really loving this game. After I got sacked from Chicago and Australia I declared interest with Wolverhampton and the next day they fired their current manager and hired me. We're doing awesome right now and are looking to promote in the Championship next season. But this news article caught my attention:

"Since his arrival at Molineux, one thing that new Wolverhampton Wanderes manager Dan cannot be accused of is failing to tell his players how to find the net.

Wolves have delighted their fans by smashing a mighty twenty-nine goals past their opposition in just fifteen mathes, notching up eight wins in the process."

just cool shit like that is why i love this game

daedalus 11-12-2006 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by illinifan999 (Post 1304102)

But can you expand the stadium 5 seats at a time? :)

illinifan999 11-12-2006 12:18 PM

come on those were the most impressive 5 seats in the history of sports

SackAttack 11-12-2006 11:03 PM

I was curious when it asked me to give instructions twice for Adu and Convey. First time this has happened.

Bea-Arthurs Hip 11-13-2006 07:48 AM

A little off topic, but cool. I just saw an add on MLS home page for WSM 2007. Link takes you to Amazon.com.

Desnudo 11-13-2006 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by illinifan999 (Post 1304102)
If you go to player interaction you can choose to "link" a player with another and that's the whole mentoring/tutoring thing.

I'm really loving this game. After I got sacked from Chicago and Australia I declared interest with Wolverhampton and the next day they fired their current manager and hired me. We're doing awesome right now and are looking to promote in the Championship next season. But this news article caught my attention:

"Since his arrival at Molineux, one thing that new Wolverhampton Wanderes manager Dan cannot be accused of is failing to tell his players how to find the net.

Wolves have delighted their fans by smashing a mighty twenty-nine goals past their opposition in just fifteen mathes, notching up eight wins in the process."

Thanks. So if I don't have a drop-down under the link section, I assume that means they can't mentor anyone?

FrogMan 11-13-2006 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desnudo (Post 1306167)
Thanks. So if I don't have a drop-down under the link section, I assume that means they can't mentor anyone?

that is what I assume too. One way to find your mentors is to go through your youngsters and see which one has a link to be mentored (or tutored as stated in the game). The link works both ways...

FM

SirFozzie 11-13-2006 06:15 PM

it's the player to be mentored, not the mentoree

So if you want Joey Bagofdonuts to be mentored by Henry Whatshisname, you'd go to Joey Bagofdonuts's player page, and choose "player interaction" and say one of the options, like "Think Joey Bagofdonuts would benefit from adopting Henry Whatshisname's approach to the game"

Desnudo 11-13-2006 06:43 PM

What's Bagofdonuts' PA?

SirFozzie 11-13-2006 06:45 PM

He's a -5.. but the rest is all random 0's.. he'll always be decent, you never know what you're gonna get out of Bagofdonuts

(Grin, Duck, Run)

DaddyTorgo 11-13-2006 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirFozzie (Post 1306196)
He's a -5.. but the rest is all random 0's.. he'll always be decent, you never know what you're gonna get out of Bagofdonuts

(Grin, Duck, Run)

beat me to it

BigDPW 11-13-2006 07:13 PM

Does this Joey Bagofdonuts fella happen to know when the digital download will be released??? Maybe he could ask Henry Whatshisname???

Easy Mac 11-13-2006 09:09 PM

I got WWSM from Amazon today... just letting people know.

SirFozzie 11-13-2006 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDPW (Post 1306233)
Does this Joey Bagofdonuts fella happen to know when the digital download will be released??? Maybe he could ask Henry Whatshisname???

I'm not the Marc's.. but I would think from what they said this week or next week.. I'm sure they're ready to chuck it themselves

MikeVick7 11-13-2006 10:21 PM

Yeah they said this week minimum in that "other" thread... :)

TazFTW 11-13-2006 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy Mac (Post 1306315)

Same.

You may release the patch now.

Marc Vaughan 11-14-2006 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TazFTW (Post 1306450)
You may release the patch now.

Thanks for letting us know - we'd been waiting on your permission ;)

(more seriously it shouldn't be 'too' much longer - however we obviously need to ensure it is rigorously tested before its released into the wild, it'll definitely be with everyone before xmas thats all I can indicate at present)

DaddyTorgo 11-14-2006 05:23 PM

WTF IS THE DEAL WITH MY LAPTOP DYING LITERALLY 14 HOURS BEFORE FM ARRIVES ON MY DOORSTEP!?!?!?!?

OTOH...I will have a brand new dual-core 2gb RAM, 240gb HD monster to play WINDOWED fm2007 on as of tomorrow WHILE watching TV with the included analog tv tuner

woot!

Ramzavail 11-14-2006 05:34 PM

This game is super duper fast and beautiful with all the wallpapers and the team icons. REally nicely done, well worth every penny, so far.

samifan24 11-14-2006 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy Mac (Post 1306315)

I got my copy from Amazon today so it looks like everyone should be getting their copies over the next week or so.

jbergey22 11-14-2006 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan (Post 1306530)
Thanks for letting us know - we'd been waiting on your permission ;)

(more seriously it shouldn't be 'too' much longer - however we obviously need to ensure it is rigorously tested before its released into the wild, it'll definitely be with everyone before xmas thats all I can indicate at present)

The chance of me buying this game is shrinking very fast. When college fb bowls, college basketball, NFL playoffs and holidays fast apoaching. I am sure soccer will become an afterthough. I've heard great things about your game Marc, congrats on another fine release!

moriarty 11-14-2006 06:58 PM

Ditto my just arrived - so Amazon must have got in a big batch.

Now I'm not sure if I want to start a career or wait for the patch.

SackAttack 11-14-2006 10:12 PM

Here's a solution.

Start a career as a club you couldn't normally give a flip about.

Then fire things up 'for real' come the patch.

Marc Vaughan 11-15-2006 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbergey22 (Post 1307195)
The chance of me buying this game is shrinking very fast. When college fb bowls, college basketball, NFL playoffs and holidays fast apoaching. I am sure soccer will become an afterthough. I've heard great things about your game Marc, congrats on another fine release!

Sorry to hear that you've escaped this year - hopefully we'll snare you next time around .... ;)

SackAttack 11-15-2006 02:32 AM

I'm halfway through the 2009/2010 season in my WBA career.

That is easily the longest I've stuck with any one CM/FM career. I'm not sure if things are finally just clicking for me in terms of understanding, or what, but I think this is going to be the version that takes hold long-term for me.

SackAttack 11-15-2006 03:20 AM

I'm not sure I'm understanding the 'future fee' clause properly.

I have a kid out on loan who has no future with my club, and he's got a 'future fee' of $150k from the loaning side.

They just came in and offered me $3k for him. They aren't obligated to offer me the 'future fee,' but if they offer it, I have to let the player go? Do I have that right?

Marc Vaughan 11-15-2006 04:13 AM

Quote:

I have a kid out on loan who has no future with my club, and he's got a 'future fee' of $150k from the loaning side.
This means that they can opt to purchase him for that amount but its not something they 'have' to do (ie. you are correct).

One thing to bear in mind is also 'drumming up business' - if a club is interested in a player who's surplus to requirements, it might be worth offering him around to other clubs in an attempt to get a bidding war going ... nothing like two teams (or more) squabbling over a player to drive up the price ;)

Narcizo 11-15-2006 04:38 AM

I used to play CM/FM all the time up to around FM05. However I missed out on FM06 because of time problems and I'm afraid that FM07 just looks like too much hard work.

Congratulations to SpInG for getting what they've always been looking for - a football sim. Unfortunately I'm left facing the fact that managing a team, as accurately reflected in the game (sorry, sim), probably isn't quite as much fun as you'd expect. It's become like a job.

Marc Vaughan 11-15-2006 06:23 AM

Quote:

I used to play CM/FM all the time up to around FM05. However I missed out on FM06 because of time problems and I'm afraid that FM07 just looks like too much hard work.
We try hard to ensure that as we add more features the game doesn't become too complicated for people - most tasks you can leave to the assistant if you don't want to do it yourself ..... and there's always the PSP version if you preferred a slightly simpler and faster game ;)

Narcizo 11-15-2006 06:44 AM

Yeah, my first reaction when the PSP version came out was "are you going to release a PC version of it". It seemed to fill the criteria of what lots of people were wanting from CM4 (CM0102 with a better game engine and pretty dots to watch). Unfortunately there's no way I'm getting a PSP.

I think you've done a great job with the sim. The scouting seems much better and the whole thing seems beautifully well-designed. I participate on a board with people who love FM07. But I just can't get into it. I know you can leave lots of stuff up to the ass man but in the end you always worry that you're not going to be as successful as a result. So when you lose the key promotional battle on the last day, you're left thinking "I bet I could have gone up if I'd taken the time to set my own training or customised my tactics for every game" etc etc. I get the same feeling when I miss out on a play-off spot in FOF if I'm quicksimming but as a year requires far less of a time-investment than FM it's easy to think "oh well, there's always next year" and that will happen within the foreseeable future.

PraetorianX 11-15-2006 07:26 AM

I too just got my copy from Amazon the other day, and it was worth the wait! :D

And does 'Preferred Formation' FINALLY change now?!?!?! Woohoo! Mine says I like to play a 4-1-3-2, and I most certainly do. Do the other parts change (Mentality, Marking, Pressing, Coaching Style?)

Also, Mentors look nice. :) I'm playing as Spurs and had Tomas Pekhart tutored by Dimitar Berbatov. Pecker has already learned all of Berbsy's PPM and they seem to get along fine, they were both thrilled about helping one another. Now...Terry Dixon and Robbie Keane (future Ireland partnership?)...they seem to get along fine too, but Terry hasn't learned any of Robbie's PPM's yet. I'm sure he will though.

I'd have Barney or one of my other young strikers learn from Defoe...but then they'd all turn into idiots who know fuckall about passing/off the ball/offside rule/anythingotherthanfinishingwhichDefoehasforgottenlatelytoo.

Oh well.

Game is great, :) Just wish I didn't get teams taking all my staff.

moriarty 11-15-2006 07:44 AM

OK, since I'm late coming to the party .... any recommendation on skins, facepacks, etc..?

FrogMan 11-15-2006 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moriarty (Post 1307505)
OK, since I'm late coming to the party .... any recommendation on skins, facepacks, etc..?

I've not played with facepacks but there are very little skins available for now. I've read of one called goal and one called lightning but neither impressed me much.

FM

moriarty 11-15-2006 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrogMan (Post 1307507)
I've not played with facepacks but there are very little skins available for now. I've read of one called goal and one called lightning but neither impressed me much.

FM

Yeah, I didn't see a lot of skins out there for FM2007 yet. Guess it's too soon, but there were some quality updates for the previous versions.

I did download the EPL facepack, logos and kits from sortitoutsi. I need to grab a few more when I have the chance.

DaddyTorgo 11-15-2006 07:59 PM

game installed. time to see what the recommended setup with my new laptop is.

SackAttack 11-15-2006 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PraetorianX (Post 1307481)
Game is great, :) Just wish I didn't get teams taking all my staff.

Welcome to MY life.

At least now that I've got WBA into EPL that's ceased happening.

But yeah, losing all my most effective staff members in the first week of the career sucked balls.

rexallllsc 11-15-2006 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo (Post 1308057)
game installed. time to see what the recommended setup with my new laptop is.

My recommended setup was like 7 leagues (MacBook Pro, 2gb RAM), but I'm running 28 VERY quickly. Quicker than any version of FM/CM ever.

rexallllsc 11-15-2006 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moriarty (Post 1307505)

On www.sortitoutsi.net I just look for all of the ones with 5 stars and a TON of downloads :)

DaddyTorgo 11-15-2006 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rexallllsc (Post 1308116)
My recommended setup was like 7 leagues (MacBook Pro, 2gb RAM), but I'm running 28 VERY quickly. Quicker than any version of FM/CM ever.

yeah mine was 12 leagues in 6 countries but i have a dual-core centrino with 2gb of ram so i'm thinking i'll go more. but i like fast processing time, it helps years and years in when your savegame has gotten bigger

moriarty 11-16-2006 07:04 PM

Agree on the speed improvement ... worth the price of a new version alone. I'm not running near the leagues you guys are on my Ram dog laptop, but just being able to sim quickly with a large database is sooo nice.

Desnudo 11-17-2006 02:12 AM

I have it on a laptop that's a couple of years old and it runs well. I'm really enjoying this version. I think that the financial model is more accurate than previous versions. It makes it much more of a challenge.

Desnudo 11-17-2006 02:13 AM

More accurately, it runs fast.

Ramzavail 11-17-2006 12:41 PM

sometimes it runs so fast, I can't even read what it says.

as for the skins, i dont think ill bother, the one that game with FM is beautiful, IMO.

Bea-Arthurs Hip 11-17-2006 03:38 PM

WSM 2007 is now up for download on SI's site for those who have been waiting....

PraetorianX 11-17-2006 03:49 PM

So after a few more days worth of playing, I have several observations:

1.) It's SOOOOO much faster. I'm running England (Con N/S), the MLS, and the top two or three leagues in Scotland, Spain, France, Italy, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Portugal, Russia, Argentina and Brazil...and it's running very well. :D Melike!

2.) It's much more immersing with all the media and player interaction. Great great great.

3.) I love the little icons on the bottom that I can click on and go straight to my squad/mail/Home/etc. Something simple that makes life a little easier, :)

4.) While transfers aren't quite there yet, they're getting there. I bought Steven Taylor for only £5m, Hatem Ben Arfa for around the same. In previous games it would have taken £15m or more for either (well, maybe not HBA if he wasn't starting).

And on that note, I have proven now that indeed all Spurs need IS a leftwinger (in this case, HBA). Thus proving what many Spurs fans have thought for some time now. I shall inform Mr. Levy at once and provide a resume for when he sacks Mr. Comolli. :)

MikeVick7 11-17-2006 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bea-Arthurs Hip (Post 1309840)
WSM 2007 is now up for download on SI's site for those who have been waiting....

Good find. I thought it would have been pinned...

http://www.sigames.com/downloads.php?type=view&id=374

Pumpy Tudors 11-17-2006 04:41 PM

I'm scared to purchase it after reading about the MLS crash. Is there anything else that's a showstopper?

SirFozzie 11-17-2006 04:52 PM

Pumpy: That's the only showstopper I've come across, and there's two ways to avoid it until the patch (which is sometime in the next few weeks)

1) Not play a MLS team
2) Not negotiate already made trade offers (player for draft pick) to include more players on their side.

Jaguars 11-17-2006 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Icy (Post 1278237)
No, it's new in 2007, you can asign the vets to mentor the young players to help them improve, not sure how it helps.

OMG! That sounds awesome.

FM series is the best sports sim eva!