Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   FOFC Archive (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   It's here! The NHL 2003-04 playoff thread (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=23986)

sterlingice 04-17-2004 11:51 PM

Darn intermissions. They need to drag their tired carcasses back out onto the ice ;)

Actually, I've been watching a DVD in the other room. Have they started showing the "Xth longest playoff game of all time" yet? I can't remember if they start doing that in the 3rd OT or 4th OT.

SI

bbor 04-18-2004 12:34 AM

Best.Game.this year.

sterlingice 04-18-2004 12:48 AM

Argh! how can you have technical difficulties in the middle of 2OT?!?

SI

Hurst2112 04-18-2004 01:06 AM

i don't know what's worse...not being able to watch the game or having to listen to ferarro during the tech difficulties.

SunDancer 04-18-2004 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hurst2112
i don't know what's worse...not being able to watch the game or having to listen to ferarro during the tech difficulties.

Thank God for CBC. They do an excellent job with hockey coverage.

sterlingice 04-18-2004 01:13 AM

To be fair, I've seen tons of games on ESPN and this is the first game I remember seeing an extended problem (ie not just a 3 second glitch).

SI

TazFTW 04-18-2004 01:17 AM

One of the Nashville/Detroit games had a technical problem and ESPN decided to use TSN's feed instead of going to the studio.

I found it weird that they went to the studio so fast, I only saw the outage for a second before the logo came up and they went to the studio.

bbor 04-18-2004 01:39 AM

Another game 7 ...woohoo

I heart this game :)

sterlingice 04-18-2004 01:52 AM

Yup :D

SI

Karim 04-18-2004 03:06 AM

:(

I just don't know how we can back from this one. If Sutter can somehow manage to rally the troops to a victory in Vancouver then he has to be considered one of the best coaches in the NHL, if he isn't already.

Whatever happens, I think this series should kill any talk of the Flames moving to Portland or city council members suggesting the NHL isn't that important to the city.

Draft Dodger 04-18-2004 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbor
I hope for triple OT.

wish granted.

Draft Dodger 04-18-2004 06:55 AM

oh, and I'd just like to say this about the Canadian feeds I get on DirecTV...

Canadian Tire has the coolest hardware gadgets I've ever seen.

bbor 04-18-2004 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draft Dodger

LMAO!

sachmo71 04-18-2004 01:03 PM

Stars made Colorado look much better than they are. I could be wrong about Abby, but if he lets in soft goals like he did against the Stars against a good team, the Avs will be hitting the links soon.

sterlingice 04-18-2004 01:28 PM

Canadian Tire?

SI

MikeVic 04-18-2004 02:01 PM

Quote:

lol. What's an example?

Draft Dodger 04-18-2004 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeVic
lol. What's an example?

well, that little filling station for your lawnmower (like Canadians even have lawns) was pretty cool.

can't remember all the stuff, but every HNIC broadcast we watch, there's a nifty new gadget they are showing.

Draft Dodger 04-18-2004 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sachmo71
Stars made Colorado look much better than they are. I could be wrong about Abby, but if he lets in soft goals like he did against the Stars against a good team, the Avs will be hitting the links soon.

I think they'll be ok - he's let in some softies, but he's also stood on his head (Avs had no business winning game 4). reminds me of a certain former Avs goalie...

I wish they could bottle their Game 5 performance - but I know that's just not going to happen.

Maple Leafs 04-18-2004 02:42 PM

Quote:

Yeah, sure, but don't you find yourself hating the people in those commercials? Come on... the skinny guy with the beard who's always belittling his neighbours ("What, you mean you don't have a pressure washer? What are you, retarded?"). Beard-man is a real smartass until his butchy wife shows up and puts him in his place, mocking him at every turn. Meanwhile their fifteen kids of various ages are always running around out of control. I hate that whole family.

Hm, I think I've revealed too much.

Karim 04-18-2004 02:49 PM

Me too. I can't stand that prick.

Draft Dodger 04-18-2004 03:03 PM

actors = lame
gadgets = cool

Johnny93g 04-18-2004 03:22 PM

How can you guys even pay attention to the commercials.....Im so nuts during a Leaf game....Jesus Christ could be selling something and I wouldnt notice...im to busy worrying...or analyzing.....or dying with the last play.....

Maple Leafs, make sure your wife doesn't talk during the Tkachuks tonight....I want this one in 6....

Maple Leafs 04-18-2004 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny93g
Maple Leafs, make sure your wife doesn't talk during the Tkachuks tonight....I want this one in 6....

Don't worry, she'll stay quiet.

I still can't see the Leafs winning this one tonight. There's just too many obstacles -- Mats out, it's a road game, they just won with a sub-par effort, they don't really need the game. I think it all adds up to a good but not great effort, and the Sens should be flying. After all, Ottawa can't possibly be so gutless and to lay down again, could they?

(Um, could they?)

ice4277 04-18-2004 05:10 PM

Growing up in an area where Hockey Night in Canada is available over-the-air, I must say I have become spoiled. I will never watch an ESPN broadcast unless the game I want to see is not on HNIC, which is very, very, rare during the playoffs. ESPN is better than it was a few years ago but still doesn't hold a candle to CBC.

Johnny93g 04-18-2004 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
After all, Ottawa can't possibly be so gutless and to lay down again, could they?

(Um, could they?)

Being gutless and laying down is what makes them our beloved Ottawa Senators.....

Draft Dodger 04-18-2004 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ice4277
Growing up in an area where Hockey Night in Canada is available over-the-air, I must say I have become spoiled. I will never watch an ESPN broadcast unless the game I want to see is not on HNIC, which is very, very, rare during the playoffs. ESPN is better than it was a few years ago but still doesn't hold a candle to CBC.

I'll watch pretty much any broadcast before ESPN.
I really like the broadcasters - Thorne and Clement especially - but I HATE ESPN's production. Too much attempt to try to force everything up into a tidy story instead of just letting the game flow. Steve Levy is a prime example of this. Like his voice, love his preparation...hate the attempt to constantly boil down the game into a bullet-point microchism.

Maple Leafs 04-18-2004 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny93g
Being gutless and laying down is what makes them our beloved Ottawa Senators.....

In the past, true. Whether it's still true now remains to be seen.

On the one hand, they didn't lay down last year during tough series with the Flyers and Devils.

On the other hand, it's essentially the same core of players they've always had, so maybe it's unrealistic to expect these leopards to change their spots.

I still say they fight back hard tonight, but I guess we'll know in about three hours.

Tekneek 04-18-2004 06:00 PM

GAME ON!

bbor 04-18-2004 07:03 PM

Ottawa looks good....Toronto is already in their 'Kitty bar the door mode'

If the Sens manage to score the Leafs are done.It's hard to crank up the offence after shutting it down.

ice4277 04-18-2004 07:36 PM

Ed Belfour is putting on one of the great playoff goaltending displays. That and the Senators are snakebit, but oh how I would love to see a game 7 in this series.

Booj 04-18-2004 07:46 PM

The game in Montreal was just as good. I was there. The crowd was electric... it was awesome.. Great comeback so far for the Habs, but it isn't over yet...

bbor 04-18-2004 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ice4277
Ed Belfour is putting on one of the great playoff goaltending displays. That and the Senators are snakebit, but oh how I would love to see a game 7 in this series.

uhh..NO! :eek:

bbor 04-18-2004 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Booj
The game in Montreal was just as good. I was there. The crowd was electric... it was awesome.. Great comeback so far for the Habs, but it isn't over yet...

Did you boo the anthem? :D

bbor 04-18-2004 08:07 PM

Shit...that goal may kill the Leafs

Draft Dodger 04-18-2004 08:31 PM

it's 1-1, 2 minutes left in the game...

and Tivo pops up with a message that it wants to change the channel to record "Jay Jay and the Jet Plane".

um. NO!

sterlingice 04-18-2004 09:21 PM

Another 3OT game? I could really go for that.

SI

Vince 04-18-2004 09:24 PM

Lalime made some really nice saves there, and Ottawa looked like they blew some pretty good chances.

Not that I want to change anything with the Sharks now, but man did I love Sutter as our coach.

Booj 04-18-2004 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbor
Did you boo the anthem? :D

Nope, the idiots that did were drowned out by the people who sang along :cool:

Tekneek 04-18-2004 09:34 PM

The 5-on-3 that Toronto had to begin the game off was the weakest of the playoffs. That was just handed to them by the refs on a silver platter.

Vince 04-18-2004 09:35 PM

Wow, Ottawa wins.

ice4277 04-18-2004 09:36 PM

Good job Sens, great game by both teams. Setting up to be an all-time classic (hopefully) on Tuesday.

Tekneek 04-18-2004 09:43 PM

It is awesome that there is still great first round hockey to watch.

DiG 04-18-2004 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Booj
Nope, the idiots that did were drowned out by the people who sang along :cool:

Oh! I thought they were trying to drown out Gregory Charles...

On a more serious note, I think I'm going to have a heart attack tomorrow. I can't trust that damn Theo.

And how about that, three series featuring one or two canadians team, three game seven.

Draft Dodger 04-19-2004 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiG
And how about that, three series featuring one or two canadians team, three game seven.

the NHL is fixed

Honolulu_Blue 04-19-2004 07:06 AM

Man. Three games sevens. Wow. So long as the Wings aren't involved, I love Game 7's. Nothing better in sport. Then again, the Wings' last game seven was really nice. A fun, relaxing romp. I enjoyed it immensely. The Game 7 prior to that, I believe, was that 1-0 Double OT game against the Blues where Yzerman scored on a blistering slap-shot from just inside the blue-line. A great game, but not nearly as enjoyable, as I felt sick through a lot of it.

ice4277 04-19-2004 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
Man. Three games sevens. Wow. So long as the Wings aren't involved, I love Game 7's. Nothing better in sport. Then again, the Wings' last game seven was really nice. A fun, relaxing romp. I enjoyed it immensely. The Game 7 prior to that, I believe, was that 1-0 Double OT game against the Blues where Yzerman scored on a blistering slap-shot from just inside the blue-line. A great game, but not nearly as enjoyable, as I felt sick through a lot of it.

I think I had multiple strokes during that game. Then the goal probably should not have gone in, Fuhr just whiffed on it. I think I sat there in disbelief for a few seconds.

DiG 04-19-2004 10:03 AM

Quote:

the NHL is fixed

I wish...

Karim 04-19-2004 11:06 AM

Please God, don't let the refs decide the outcome of tonight's games.

Fidatelo 04-19-2004 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karim
Please God, don't let the refs decide the outcome of tonight's games.

You mean by putting away their whistles so that thuggish players can decide the game by cheating? Ya, that's always a great idea. :rolleyes:

sachmo71 04-19-2004 11:48 AM

I believe that he is talking about the refs not making marginal calls. That's usually what hockey fans mean when they ask for "the whistles to be put away".