Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   FOFC Archive (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   The Official MLB 2007 Thread (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=57945)

Crapshoot 05-08-2007 10:29 PM

I love Rickey.I have no doubt that Rickey today would have a higher OBP than Pedro Feliz.

ISiddiqui 05-08-2007 10:52 PM

Barry is now 10 away... jacking 745 against the Mets tonight.

11th of the season, not a bad final year (I'm assuming) for him so far.

Young Drachma 05-08-2007 11:08 PM

Indeed. He's swinging the bat nicely this year.

Ksyrup 05-09-2007 07:57 AM

"Henderson said the "bitter" thing about it is that he didn't get to leave the sport on his own terms: finishing on the field."

He can console himself with the fact that not many guys get to finish losing an NLCS by playing cards in the clubhouse.

Ksyrup 05-09-2007 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 1450175)
Jeremy Bonderman has got to be one of the worst 1st-inning pitchers of all-time. Good pitchers, that is. This is going on purely anecdotal evidence, but I swear, it seems like every other game, he's down 2-4 runs by the end of the 1st inning. It's probably not that dramatic, but I can't be imagining it, either.

I guess I wasn't just imagining it. I'd like to see his career numbers for this, because I don't think it's limited to this year:

First inning aside, Bonderman sharp

May 9, 2007
BY CHRIS LAU and JOHN LOWE
FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITERS

If it weren't for the first inning, Jeremy Bonderman would be leading the American League in ERA this season.

Bonderman's first-inning ERA is 15.43. After the first inning, it's 1.18. Overall, it's 4.20.

The trends continued Tuesday night. Bonderman gave up three runs to Seattle in the first inning, then gave up two runs in his five remaining innings.

In the first inning Tuesday, Bonderman allowed a homer on an 0-2 count. In each of his previous four seasons, Bonderman allowed one homer on an 0-2 count. Richie Sexson's three-run homer Tuesday was the first homer Bonderman has allowed this season on 0-2.

dawgfan 05-09-2007 02:27 PM

I wonder if anyone has done a study on this phenomenon - I know I've heard broadcasters mention this before, the whole "You have to get to this guy early, because once he gets in a rhythm he'll shut you down" kind of thing.

My inclination is to think this is just a phenomenon of selective memory - someone observes a particular pitcher struggling in the 1st inning of a few games, decides that pitcher has an issue with this, and then ignores all the times the pitcher doesn't struggle in the first while using the times the pitcher does to reinforce his theory.

Still, it may be that certain types of pitchers are more prone to struggling early in a game based off the types of pitches they throw or the complexity of their mechanics, etc.

Ksyrup 05-09-2007 03:07 PM

I did a quick scan of the boxscores for all of his starts, and it's a mixed bag:

2003 - 28 starts, 17 1st inning runs - 5.46 ERA; all other innings (including relief appearances) - 5.57 ERA

2004 - 32 starts, 21 1st inning runs - 5.90 ERA; all other innings (including 1 relief appearance) - 4.68

2005 - 29 starts, 31 1st inning runs - 9.62 ERA; all other innings - 3.65

2006 - 34 starts, 14 1st inning runs - 3.70 ERA; all other innings - 4.15 ERA

Other than this year and 2005, he hasn't been demonstratively worse in the 1st inning. There were several games where he didn't give up a run in the 1st, but got tagged pretty good in the 2nd and 3rd, but what struck me was how many times he would give up a run or 2 in the 1st and still pitch 6-8 innings, maybe giving up 1 more run. So on certain nights, I'd say the old addage was probably correct. But that's more of a hindsight comment than a predictive quality based on a general pattern.

dawgfan 05-09-2007 03:20 PM

By the way, I'd like to take this opportunity to point out how much Horacio Ramirez sucks. Of course, it's not like anybody saw this coming or anything.

Ksyrup 05-09-2007 03:26 PM

Look on the bright side...ERA-wise, he's only half as bad as Jeff Weaver!

Ksyrup 05-09-2007 03:29 PM

I find it remarkable that the Mariners are at .500 given their awful starting pitching and the fact that the Jose's appear to be the only full-time hitters who are playing way above-expectations. Must be the superlative job of their coaching staff...

larrymcg421 05-09-2007 03:29 PM

Tom Glavine used to have this problem too. He would give up a couple runs in the first or even 2nd innings and then shut the team down the rest of the way.

dawgfan 05-09-2007 04:05 PM

Also, hey, how about that trade for Jose Vidro?

Yeah yeah, he's hitting .298, but it's a toothless .298. Despite a reputation for great plate discipline, he's only seeing 3.31 pitches per plate appearance (ahead of only fellow Jose's Guillen and Lopez and behind noted hacker Yuni Betancourt) and just a moderately above average OBP of .344. And he has no power any more, with a well below-average SLG of .360 while being a lard-ass that is on pace to ground into 29 double-plays (which would be the highest total in the majors since 2000). All that for the bargain price of $3.5M this year (the Nats sent over $4M in the trade), $8.5M next year and an easily reached vesting option to add 2009 to the deal.

Meanwhile, Chris Snelling has hit .250/.400/.344 so far, can actually play the field unlike Vidro, is just 25 and is making the minimum MLB salary. And down in AAA for the Nats, Emiliano Fruto has started 5 games, going 26.1 IP with just 10 hits allowed and 25 K's. He has 20 BB's, so control is obviously an issue, but he's just 22 and is showing he can miss bats and potentially be a useful MLB pitcher.

The sooner Bill Bavasi is fired, the better off the M's will be.

dawgfan 05-09-2007 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 1461258)
Look on the bright side...ERA-wise, he's only half as bad as Jeff Weaver!

Based off the things a pitcher has some control over, Ramirez has actually been worse than Weaver so far - Weaver, while bad, has also suffered from really bad luck.

Bottom line is, unless they improve, they both need to go.

Atocep 05-09-2007 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawgfan (Post 1461290)

The sooner Bill Bavasi is fired, the better off the M's will be.

I had always thought Jim Hendry was the worst GM in baseball. Then I saw a BP article that outlined Bavasi's moves since was hired and I have to say I was wrong. Bavasi is easily the worst GM in baseball now and I agree 100% with your statement.

dawgfan 05-09-2007 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 1461260)
I find it remarkable that the Mariners are at .500 given their awful starting pitching and the fact that the Jose's appear to be the only full-time hitters who are playing way above-expectations. Must be the superlative job of their coaching staff...

They've been somewhat lucky so far. They're at .500 despite being outscored 150 to 131.

I'd argue that none of the Jose's are playing above expectations - Vidro has been just as mediocre as most analysts figured, Guillen has been about what you'd expect assuming he's healthy, and Lopez is continuing to show the promise he flashed last year.

The thing is, there's talent here - once Sexson's luck turns (he's hitting .143 on balls in play, an unsustainably low rate due to bad luck) and Beltre hits his stride in the warmer weather as he's always done as an M, this is actually a decent lineup, if short on guys with any patience. The only guy that really worries me is Ibanez - he may be hitting the inevitable wall due to age.

The rotation though - assuming Felix comes back fully healthy you've got one of the top starters in the game, and in Washburn you have a #3 guy on a good staff. After that though, it gets ugly. Batista is a serviceable #4/#5 guy, but Ramirez and Weaver are awful, and I don't think Baek will prove to be that much better. The bullpen is decent, with Putz, Morrow and Sherrill doing well in the high-leverage situations and the potential return of last year's phenom Mark Lowe later this summer (though I'm not counting on it).

The M's do have some trade chits in the minors, so they could potentially address the rotation issues before the trade deadline. I'm just not thrilled with the idea of Bavasi being allowed to make any more trades for this team given his track record.

Ksyrup 05-09-2007 04:20 PM

My comments on the Jose's play were due to very low expectations. Washburn could really be helping a good team right now. Too bad he's stuck in Seattle.

dawgfan 05-09-2007 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atocep (Post 1461292)
I had always thought Jim Hendry was the worst GM in baseball. Then I saw a BP article that outlined Bavasi's moves since was hired and I have to say I was wrong. Bavasi is easily the worst GM in baseball now and I agree 100% with your statement.

Bavasi has done a few things right - hiring his buddy Bob Fountaine to run the draft for the M's has been a huge improvement for the organization and the M's minors are better off now as a result. And not all of his trades and signings have been disasters (the Beltre signing in particular is much better than the average fan gives him credit for given how the market has evolved) - it's just that enough of them have been disasters and have displayed a flawed way of evaluating talent and roster construction that he needs to go.

Problem is, the current roster has a chance in a down year in the AL West to stay in contention most of the year, and it's possible he and Hargrove both hang on to their jobs for another year.

dawgfan 05-09-2007 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 1461299)
My comments on the Jose's play were due to very low expectations.

I'm just saying that most pre-season projections for those guys were pretty close to what we're currently seeing, so I don't really see them as over-performing.

Crapshoot 05-09-2007 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawgfan (Post 1461301)
Bavasi has done a few things right - hiring his buddy Bob Fountaine to run the draft for the M's has been a huge improvement for the organization and the M's minors are better off now as a result. And not all of his trades and signings have been disasters (the Beltre signing in particular is much better than the average fan gives him credit for given how the market has evolved) - it's just that enough of them have been disasters and have displayed a flawed way of evaluating talent and roster construction that he needs to go.

Problem is, the current roster has a chance in a down year in the AL West to stay in contention most of the year, and it's possible he and Hargrove both hang on to their jobs for another year.

What he's doing with Brandon Morrow is criminal - wasting a year of that guy's stuff by using him in the bullpen. That will look great in 2012.

Ksyrup 05-09-2007 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawgfan (Post 1461302)
I'm just saying that most pre-season projections for those guys were pretty close to what we're currently seeing, so I don't really see them as over-performing.

That's probably true. But they're overperforming based on my expectations! :)

dawgfan 05-09-2007 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crapshoot (Post 1461303)
What he's doing with Brandon Morrow is criminal - wasting a year of that guy's stuff by using him in the bullpen. That will look great in 2012.

Yeah, I didn't agree with that either. It's Hargrove's call, and Bavasi didn't feel strongly enough to over rule him on it. The problem was that Mark Lowe is out until at least June (and there's no guarantee he comes back 100% or stays healthy given the nature of his injury) and Rafael Soriano was given away to the Braves for Jack Shit, leaving the bullpen short a good right-handed setup guy. The M's were probably hoping someone else could step up and claim that role, but the fact is that Morrow earned the job and Bavasi didn't say no when Hargrove asked for him.

I'm skeptical Morrow will ever leave his bullpen role at this point, which is a shame - it sure would be nice to see if he could be the #2 guy in this staff eventually to team with Felix.

lungs 05-09-2007 04:39 PM

Brewers finish up a 9-1 homestand and head to New York with the best record in the majors at 24-10.

I know it's early, but my god, I think I've died and gone to heaven.

So are you non-homer outsiders believers in the Brewers or do ya think they'll be crashing back to earth soon?

They head to New York to start a series on Friday against the Mets. There's no way they will keep up this pace so I wouldn't be surprised to see them drop the series to the Mets. Then I'll watch everybody say how they are a fluke and only beat up on crappy teams.

Good thing the NL Central is filled with crappy teams.

Crapshoot 05-09-2007 04:44 PM

The Brewers are a good team, but the problem is that they have no obvious areas of improvement. Braun, Capellan, and Gallardo can all help the team, but unless they want to swap Tony Graffiano, David Bush, or one of the relievers for minor league prospects, I don't see obvious improvement. IMO, they should deal Graffiano by June or so, (allowing Braun to come at that point, without triggering the arb clock early) - and add to the minor league depth.

Butter 05-09-2007 05:18 PM

I think the Brewers are for real, but I also think that one of the gaggle of mediocre NL Central teams will get hot at some point and give the Brewers a run.

lungs 05-09-2007 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crapshoot (Post 1461315)
The Brewers are a good team, but the problem is that they have no obvious areas of improvement. Braun, Capellan, and Gallardo can all help the team, but unless they want to swap Tony Graffiano, David Bush, or one of the relievers for minor league prospects, I don't see obvious improvement. IMO, they should deal Graffiano by June or so, (allowing Braun to come at that point, without triggering the arb clock early) - and add to the minor league depth.

Yep, that's pretty much my take on the team. Gallardo is pitching very well in AAA but he is also in his first year at that level and is only 21 years old. There's really no need to push him as I think Bush is a much better pitcher than he has shown thus far.

The obvious place the team could improve right now is third base. If they don't want to trade Graffanino, one of Gabe Gross or Tony Gwynn could be sent down as there are 6 outfielders right now. Corey Hart also has been out with a wrist injury that if it does not improve, he could be DL'ed in favor of Braun. Then again, Braun has a minor groin injury right now and the team is winning games. Why start his service time clock? JJ Hardy is hitting well above average for a shortstop so I guess it isn't so bad that there is a below average offensive platoon at third base.

Capellan could replace Spurling this instant but I'm not sure if he hasn't burned his bridges with the team. Walking out on your team for two days in AAA isn't the best way to get back to the majors. Quite frankly, Capellan wasn't all that impressive last year. He does still have enough upside that Doug Melvin isn't going to give him away, though. I did think it was rather telling that they recalled Chris Spurling over Capellan when Greg Aquino went down.

sterlingice 05-09-2007 05:29 PM

There's good and bad news for the Brewers. They're in the NL Central and that's great news.

They have decent pitching but it's likely not quite as good as it looks right now. Capuano is pitching out of his mind but Bush is pitching quite a bit below his standards so those two will even out in time and revert to form. Suppan and Vargas are both pitching too good for what they are but Sheets is an ace and isn't pitching like one. Similarly, the hitting is doing a bit better than it should but only a bit.

So, there's just going to be some regression to the mean. However, there's a lot of talent there and some good potential- as I said above, last year, they were everyone's dark horse but they just happened to be one year later in arriving.

Having a nearly 10 game lead in May makes you a target, particularly at 14 games above .500 because even this early, you start playing games with "If the team plays .500 the rest of the way, team X has to play .600 or .700 ball the rest of the way to catch them. Then again, we saw this in KC in 2003 when the Royals watched a 7 game lead at the All Star Break slip away in less than 2 months- so it's certainly not a perfect scenario. Still, would much rather be you than anyone else in that division.

Oh, and did I mention that being in the NL Central really helps? ;)

SI

Chief Rum 05-09-2007 08:01 PM

I tend to agree with the Bavasi drubbings here, knowing how he ran the Angels before going to the M's. All that said, strangely enough, it was mostly guys he brought in that won the Angels the World Series in 2002.

Schmidty 05-10-2007 03:05 PM

Biggest FA bust so far goes to the Mariner's Jeff Weaver. 0-6 14.32 ERA and a WHIP close to 3. Ouch.

I still can't believe Detroit got Bonderman for that scrub. Stupid "Moneyfraud" Billy Beane.

dawgfan 05-10-2007 03:14 PM

Weaver has sucked, no question. But even without his bad luck (and he has been unlucky on top of being just plain bad), it's still just a 1-year deal. I have a strong suspicion this won't be the worst financial decision on a free agent from this past off-season.

Logan 05-10-2007 03:28 PM

You guys hear Rickey Henderson caught a foul ball the other day?

MizzouRah 05-10-2007 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schmidty (Post 1462180)
Biggest FA bust so far goes to the Mariner's Jeff Weaver. 0-6 14.32 ERA and a WHIP close to 3. Ouch.

I still can't believe Detroit got Bonderman for that scrub. Stupid "Moneyfraud" Billy Beane.

Shocking........ not.

Travis 05-10-2007 04:58 PM

And the Jays woes worsen

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...v=st&type=lgns

Quote:

TORONTO (TICKER) -- Toronto Blue Jays closer B.J. Ryan will miss the remainder of the season after undergoing "Tommy John" surgery on Thursday to repair the ulnar collateral ligament in his left elbow.

The Blue Jays expect Ryan to be ready for spring training in 2008. The surgery was performed by Dr. Timothy Kremchek in Cincinnati.

The loss of Ryan is a major setback for the Blue Jays, who have lost eight in a row to slip to 13-20. Ryan, 31, first experienced soreness in his elbow in March. After consulting with Dr. James Andrews and team doctors, Ryan underwent a rest and rehab program for two weeks. At the conclusion of the two-week period, Ryan was pain free and began throwing.

But after allowing four runs in the ninth inning of an April 14 game against Detroit, Ryan complained of pain in his elbow and stated it was worse that it had been previously. Ryan was shut down immediately and traveled to see Dr. Andrews, at which time he received an MRI.

After further examination, both Dr. Andrews and Dr. Kremchek agreed the best course of action was four weeks of rest. Ryan's arm was tested after the third week of the program, but the pain had not subsided, making surgery an option.

Ryan traveled to Dr. Kremchek's office on Tuesday, at which time "Tommy John" surgery was recommended. Ryan signed a five-year, $47 million with the Blue Jays before the 2006 season. He rewarded the team by converting 38-of-42 save chances and pitching to a 1.38 ERA en route to garnering All-Star honors.

Ryan made just five appearances this season, compiling an 0-1 record with three saves and 12.46 ERA.

Jason Frasor replaced Ryan as the team's closer and has squandered 2-of-4 save chances. Frasor is 1-1 with a 6.08 ERA in 14 appearances.

Ksyrup 05-11-2007 06:46 AM

Looks like Beane's front office may get bolstered by the mid-season acquisition of JP Ricciardi. Man, that guy's having a tough year.

Oilers9911 05-11-2007 06:13 PM

And things go EVEN further south for the Jays. Halladay out 4-6 weeks with appendicitis. Can't get any worse than this....or can it?

Ksyrup 05-11-2007 11:08 PM

Glaus got hurt!

Washburn has been incredible tonight. I hope he/they can finish the job.

pennywisesb 05-11-2007 11:20 PM

A's inked Swisher to a 5-year extension:

http://oakland.athletics.mlb.com/new...=.jsp&c_id=oak

The A's announced that the club has agreed to terms with 26-year-old outfielder on a $26.75 million five-year contract through the 2011 season with a one-year club option for 2012.

I think its a good move, he's improved every year so far and hopefully the trend continues.

sterlingice 05-12-2007 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oilers9911 (Post 1462920)
And things go EVEN further south for the Jays. Halladay out 4-6 weeks with appendicitis. Can't get any worse than this....or can it?

"Vernon Wells gives up baseball, joins cult"

SI

miami_fan 05-13-2007 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miami_fan (Post 1438977)
Julio does it again!:mad:

And again.

DaddyTorgo 05-13-2007 01:33 PM

Dirty dirty Josh Beckett. He's got 5 K's through 2 IP's.

DaddyTorgo 05-13-2007 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ISiddiqui (Post 1460665)
Indeed, and that is where the argument comes down to. For all those who have Koufax up there because of his peak... Pedro's was far better. His peak is so damned amazing (using ERA+, in that peak, he has 4 of the top 25 seasons of all time and 5 of the top 40 - for the other two season, one was limited by injury to 116 innings, but was on pace for being around the 60th greatest season, and the other was an ERA+ of 160, by far his worst season during that run) that it trumps the longevity argument, IMO.

putting it in this context gives me chills that I was alive and a fan during this time.

DaddyTorgo 05-13-2007 02:01 PM

3.1 IP...7K's

Atocep 05-13-2007 02:48 PM

Mets take the series against the Brewers and their 1-4 starters look really good. Pelfrey has no idea how to pitch, though, and is killing them as the 5 starter right now. All he's doing is throwing his fastball has hard as he can and mixing in a splitter or a changeup every few pitches.

Oliver Perez is looking the player he was supposed to be a couple years ago and is proving that the Pirates organization needs to be overhauled because they have way to many pitchers that end up screwed up and either being traded away for nothing or wasting away until they have major surgery.

btw, why the hell was Carlos Gomez called up?

Logan 05-13-2007 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atocep (Post 1463473)
btw, why the hell was Carlos Gomez called up?

That was a huge shock, but he looked great in the field and at the plate.

henry296 05-13-2007 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo (Post 1463459)
3.1 IP...7K's

And then he develops a blister. What else is new :)

SirFozzie 05-13-2007 04:33 PM

That's ok, the Sox score six in the ninth to win 6-5 :)

henry296 05-13-2007 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirFozzie (Post 1463494)
That's ok, the Sox score six in the ninth to win 6-5 :)

I hadn't seen that. i was only listening to the game in the car. Typical Orioles.

Terps 05-14-2007 01:02 AM

Typical Sam Perlozzo. You take out Guthrie who was only at 91 pitches when he left. Guthrie was interviewed after and said he felt fine and wasn't tired. Sam's excuse? It was the most pitches Guthrie had thrown this year and the bullpen was fresh.

Whatever you say, Sammy. It's probably the most overworked 'pen in baseball.

DaddyTorgo 05-14-2007 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by henry296 (Post 1463492)
And then he develops a blister. What else is new :)

not a blister, an avulsion. From what I could understand of it, it's like when your skin splits and you have a little hanging-flap of skin (like say from a papercut type thing) and then the hanging skin keeps ripping.

Ksyrup 05-14-2007 02:59 PM

If I was baseball, I'm not sure what I would be trying to avoid more - bad ratings on a Friday night, or the embarrassment of getting its ass kicked going head-to-head with MNF.

Updated: May 14, 2007, 11:01 AM ET
Report: World Series to start on a Wednesday

In an effort to boost sagging ratings for the World Series, Major League Baseball will announce Monday that the 2007 Fall Classic will start on Wednesday instead of Saturday, USA Today reported.

A Wednesday start will allow baseball to avoid playing on Friday, which is TV's second-least watched night after Saturday. If the Series goes to a Game 5, it also would go head-to-head with ESPN's Monday Night Football.

According to USA Today, Game 1 will be scheduled for Wednesday Oct. 24. If the Series goes to a Game 7, it will be played on Nov. 1, the first time baseball has scheduled a World Series game in the month of November.

It won't be the first time a Series game has been played in November, however, as the Yankees and Diamondbacks played into November 2001 after the season was delayed after the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11 of that year.

MLB president Bob DuPuy told USA Today that baseball considered starting the World Series on a Tuesday, but that would mean a Series game would be played on a Friday, and avoiding a Friday night game was a priority for the league.

Brillig 05-14-2007 03:23 PM

Uhh, didn't the Saturday start avoid both problems?

Sat-Sun-(Monday off)-Tue-Wed-Thu-(Friday off)-Sat-Sun

Ksyrup 05-14-2007 03:26 PM

Strange. I think you're right.

ISiddiqui 05-14-2007 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brillig (Post 1464013)
Uhh, didn't the Saturday start avoid both problems?

Sat-Sun-(Monday off)-Tue-Wed-Thu-(Friday off)-Sat-Sun

I thought baseball's playoff schedule was 2-2-1-1-1 (instead of 2-3-2).

So that would mean a Sat schedule would be: Sat-Sun-(mon off)-Tue-Wed-(thurs off)-Fri-(sat off)-Sun-(mon off)-Tues

A Wed schedule would be: Wed-Thurs-(fri off)-Sat-Sun-(mon off)-Tues-(wed off)-Thurs-(fri off)-Sat

In that case, the Wed schedule avoids both Monday and Friday.

MrBug708 05-14-2007 05:53 PM

Lots of rumblings of Troy Glaus being shipped to the Dodgers on the local radio stations

Buccaneer 05-14-2007 10:27 PM

Maddux is pitching a gem for the Pads. 5.1 ip, 0 hits on 51 pitches.

Atocep 05-15-2007 01:22 AM

Dusty Baker and Rick Sutcliffe in the same booth for the Mets/Cubs game tonight. It almost seemed like a contest to see who could say the stupidest thing. Sutcliffe pointed out that Theriot won the college world series at LSU and then he won minor league championships 4 straight years. Its clearly all because he gets dirty and is a "winner".

ESPN's baseball coverage is a joke. Joe Morgan, John Kruk, Sutcliffe, Dusty, Steve Philips. Is there anyone they could possibly hire that is worse than these guys?

Ksyrup 05-15-2007 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ISiddiqui (Post 1464059)
I thought baseball's playoff schedule was 2-2-1-1-1 (instead of 2-3-2).

So that would mean a Sat schedule would be: Sat-Sun-(mon off)-Tue-Wed-(thurs off)-Fri-(sat off)-Sun-(mon off)-Tues

A Wed schedule would be: Wed-Thurs-(fri off)-Sat-Sun-(mon off)-Tues-(wed off)-Thurs-(fri off)-Sat

In that case, the Wed schedule avoids both Monday and Friday.

We haven't had a WS get past 5 games since 2003 (last year it went 5, but a rainout threw everything out of whack), and in 2003, the format was 2-3-2. Game Six was played on a Saturday.

Now, I don't know if they changed the format since then and we just haven't seen it in action, but I don't recall there being a change. But at this point, we'd have to remember it as an announcement, since we have not gotten to that point in several years.

Logan 05-15-2007 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 1464319)
We haven't had a WS get past 5 games since 2003 (last year it went 5, but a rainout threw everything out of whack), and in 2003, the format was 2-3-2. Game Six was played on a Saturday.

Now, I don't know if they changed the format since then and we just haven't seen it in action, but I don't recall there being a change. But at this point, we'd have to remember it as an announcement, since we have not gotten to that point in several years.

I had Mets World Series tickets last year to home games 2 & 3, which were also preprinted with "games 4 & 6" since we knew the AL had home field beforehand.

Young Drachma 05-15-2007 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atocep (Post 1464278)
Dusty Baker and Rick Sutcliffe in the same booth for the Mets/Cubs game tonight. It almost seemed like a contest to see who could say the stupidest thing. Sutcliffe pointed out that Theriot won the college world series at LSU and then he won minor league championships 4 straight years. Its clearly all because he gets dirty and is a "winner".

ESPN's baseball coverage is a joke. Joe Morgan, John Kruk, Sutcliffe, Dusty, Steve Philips. Is there anyone they could possibly hire that is worse than these guys?

I think it just proves that baseball players aren't smart. And the smart ones stay away from ESPN.

stevew 05-15-2007 09:20 AM

Quote:

Joe Theismann?

RPI-Fan 05-15-2007 10:42 AM

Kruk has to be the happiest guy at ESPN. He used to be a total buffoon, but now he actually looks respectable when guys like Sutcliffe, Dusty, and especially Phillips are around.

Ksyrup 05-15-2007 10:48 AM

I was listening to ESPN on the drive home, with the guy who replaced Kuselias, and he had Kruk on, and after Kruk finished, the guy was like, "You are so good, you are just so good. You are the best." It was so bizarre and awkward, even Kruk didn't know how to respond. For a second I thought Kruk was going to say, "Are you out of your mind?" But he just politely accepted the compliment and left.

Swaggs 05-15-2007 12:05 PM

Quote:

Ricky Henderson.

Crapshoot 05-15-2007 12:10 PM

No way - Rickey would be miles better than Sutcliffe and Kruk.

DanGarion 05-15-2007 02:01 PM

Quote:

Tim McCarver.

Atocep 05-15-2007 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dangarion (Post 1464713)
Tim McCarver.

Ok, I'll give ya that one. McCarver is annoying in that he is always trying to think of something profound and clever to say, but it never makes sense. He adds absolutely nothing to a game he calls.

pennywisesb 05-15-2007 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atocep (Post 1464715)
Ok, I'll give ya that one. McCarver is annoying in that he is always trying to think of something profound and clever to say, but it never makes sense. He adds absolutely nothing to a game he calls.

Rex Hudler is terrible, and being down here in Angel's country I get to listen to him entirely too much.

stevew 05-15-2007 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dangarion (Post 1464713)
Tim McCarver.

I can barely watch baseball, but never when that asshead is on.

Ksyrup 05-15-2007 03:55 PM

If you refuse to watch Tim McCarver, then you missed him getting doused with water by Deion Sanders, which was worth the hefty price to see.

To give him credit, he did nail the game-winning WS hit by Luis Gonzalez by noting, moments before the hit, that Jeter was playing in and was susceptible to a weak flare over his head.

Chief Rum 05-15-2007 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pennywisesb (Post 1464768)
Rex Hudler is terrible, and being down here in Angel's country I get to listen to him entirely too much.

I like Rex's enthusiasm.

dawgfan 05-15-2007 08:58 PM

Hey Chief, what's up with Vlad not playing tonight? Is he hurt, or has he come down with "Felix Flu"?

Chief Rum 05-15-2007 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawgfan (Post 1465080)
Hey Chief, what's up with Vlad not playing tonight? Is he hurt, or has he come down with "Felix Flu"?

A) Selig is bribing us to keep the division close?
B) A "thank you" to Bavasi for the 2002 WS squad?
C) I don't have a clue?

I am leaning toward C. The announcers haven't said anything yet that I have heard, and no one seems to know at our main forum.

Vlad DH'd yesterday, which was supposed to be like a rest day. My guess is he has some minor injury and Sciosc decided to give him an actual day off.

As for "Felix Flu", if there is anyone who isn't afraid of facing good pitching, it's Vlad. He swings and kills bad pitches way out of the strike zone. Good pitching would intrigue him. :)

dawgfan 05-15-2007 10:35 PM

I wish the M's played the Angels every game this year - Jose Guillen would shatter all hitting records if that were the case...

Chief Rum 05-15-2007 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawgfan (Post 1465187)
I wish the M's played the Angels every game this year - Jose Guillen would shatter all hitting records if that were the case...

He's still an ass. No shock there. Might as well put him to good use while you can, though. I give him another two months before Ichiro and Johjima are cussing him out to each other in Japanese, if they aren't already. There's no such thing as a bridge that man can't burn.

Too bad you guys are wasting a terrific performance by King Felix tonight. You coulda won with Weaver on the mound.

dawgfan 05-16-2007 02:55 PM

Man, the Angels played last night's game like they really didn't want to be there. I hope they keep it up tonight since I'm going to the game. I'm not going to get my hopes up though since it's Lackey going for Anaheim and Baek for us.

Oh, and while Guillen may or may not be an ass, he's not universally disliked in the Angels clubhouse.

Chief Rum 05-16-2007 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawgfan (Post 1465718)
Man, the Angels played last night's game like they really didn't want to be there. I hope they keep it up tonight since I'm going to the game. I'm not going to get my hopes up though since it's Lackey going for Anaheim and Baek for us.

Oh, and while Guillen may or may not be an ass, he's not universally disliked in the Angels clubhouse.

Of course he isn't. Most of the guys he fought with aren't on the Angels anymore actually. BTW, how is Washburn getting along with Guillen? That's not an idle question.

No one is universally disliked, and some guys enjoy players with passion. Also, some guys will get the benefit from their own as well--I am certain, for instance, that fellow Spanish speaking islander Angels like Guerrero and the Molinas still get along with Guillen.

So I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. He's still an utter ass. Don't let the Mariner team-fan groupthink fool you. We let ourselves be fooled that the Pirates, D'Rays, Red, A's and others were all doofuses for letting him go, and that he turned a new leaf. Umm, not quite...

As for last night, well, when your best hitter sits and your pitcher gets blown up early, it's hard to keep the enthusiasm up, especially in the middle of a road trip. Vlad was just getting a rest, BTW (according to the local paper). He should be in tonight along with Lackey, which is a good thing for you, because I would hate to think something called a "Baek" would be the pitcher you go to see. :)

dawgfan 05-17-2007 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Rum (Post 1465966)
Of course he isn't. Most of the guys he fought with aren't on the Angels anymore actually. BTW, how is Washburn getting along with Guillen? That's not an idle question.

No one is universally disliked, and some guys enjoy players with passion. Also, some guys will get the benefit from their own as well--I am certain, for instance, that fellow Spanish speaking islander Angels like Guerrero and the Molinas still get along with Guillen.

So I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. He's still an utter ass. Don't let the Mariner team-fan groupthink fool you. We let ourselves be fooled that the Pirates, D'Rays, Red, A's and others were all doofuses for letting him go, and that he turned a new leaf. Umm, not quite...

Like I said, I'm not saying he's not necessarily an ass. But it's only certain players, and primarily the manager that Guillen has a problem with on the Angels. Kelvim Escobar happens to be one of Guillen's best friends in the game.

Washburn and Guillen have apparently mended fences enough for the situation to not be a distraction. As long as Guillen isn't a cancer in the clubhouse and is helping the team on the field, I'm happy, and so far both seem to be the case.

Quote:

As for last night, well, when your best hitter sits and your pitcher gets blown up early, it's hard to keep the enthusiasm up, especially in the middle of a road trip. Vlad was just getting a rest, BTW (according to the local paper). He should be in tonight along with Lackey, which is a good thing for you, because I would hate to think something called a "Baek" would be the pitcher you go to see. :)
Except that the pitcher got blown up early because it appeared he and many of his teammates just weren't into the game.

The tickets tonight were a gift from several weeks ago, so I had no idea going in who'd be starting. That said, Baek pitched pretty well (and probably shouldn't have been yanked when he was). The M's just couldn't get anything going off of Lackey, and failed in the two opportunities they had to score some runs.

Ksyrup 05-17-2007 07:43 AM

Mets looking pumped in the regular season.

Lino Urdaneta, a minor league pitcher who was on the Mets’ 25-man roster two days ago, tested positive for a performance-enhancing substance and was suspended for 50 games, Major League Baseball said yesterday.

Urdaneta, a 27-year-old Venezuelan, pitched in two games for the Mets this season, allowing two hits and one run. Before this year, he had pitched in one major league game, for the Detroit Tigers in 2004, allowing six runs and five hits and recording no outs.

Urdaneta is the sixth member of the Mets’ organization to test positive for a performance-enhancing drug since 2006. The Class A Savannah pitcher Jorge Reyes was suspended for 100 games earlier this month after testing positive for the second time. Reyes was the first minor leaguer to receive a 100-game suspension for a second violation.

The others suspended were the major leaguer Guillermo Mota, and the minor leaguers Yusaku Iriki, Timothy Haines and Waner Mateo.

Ksyrup 05-17-2007 02:55 PM

Ouch. Cubs give up 5 in the 9th and lose 6-5. That's gotta sting.

Young Drachma 05-17-2007 03:11 PM

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/17/sp...tml?ref=sports

Quote:

With the Tampa Bay Devil Rays playing host to the Texas Rangers for three games here this week, some fans who have spent $15 for the cheapest tickets have brought blankets to recline on the hill and watch. Others have brought children who roll, run or somersault down the steep incline.

And after Tampa Bay’s Brendan Harris won Tuesday night’s game, 4-3, in the 10th inning with his fourth hit of the evening, he and his teammates celebrated as if they were boys on the hillside with their own giddy dance behind first base.

“We’re a young team and every kid wears their emotions on their sleeve,” said Harris, 26. Asked about playing in a 7,500-seat spring training and minor league stadium about 90 miles northeast of their domed home, Tropicana Field, Harris said, “So far, so good.”

The first game drew 8,443 fans. The second game, an 11-8 Devil Rays victory Wednesday night, drew 8,839. Stuart Sternberg, the principal owner of the Devil Rays, said 7,000 seats were sold for Tuesday’s game and the other tickets purchased were for hillside spaces. Many fans came late and left early.

I know they're saying it's "marketing". But I think it's "desperate attempt to hang onto dear life."

Move this team to New York, expand Keyspan Park and be done with it. Or expand Bears Stadium in Newark. Do something, but get them out of that terrible ballpark. Retirees might be cool, but where else can they dictate getting major league sports on the basis of being able to watch the Yankees and Red Sox in person for most of the year.

Atocep 05-17-2007 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Cloud (Post 1466553)
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/17/sp...tml?ref=sports

I know they're saying it's "marketing". But I think it's "desperate attempt to hang onto dear life."

Move this team to New York, expand Keyspan Park and be done with it. Or expand Bears Stadium in Newark. Do something, but get them out of that terrible ballpark. Retirees might be cool, but where else can they dictate getting major league sports on the basis of being able to watch the Yankees and Red Sox in person for most of the year.

BP posted an article today discussing potential markets for a MLB team looking to move. Suprisingly, Charlotte rated #1 in terms of projected attendence and TV viewers.

Right now the Rays and Marlins really aren't competing financially and it doesn't look like its going to change any time soon, but I would be shocked if baseball ever did anything about it.

Young Drachma 05-17-2007 03:23 PM

Yeah, Charlotte's mayor has been saying forever that they don't a team yet, tht they're not ready. Don Beaver wanted to put the Twins between Charlotte and the Triangle so that you could draw from both areas, but from what I've read..the problem is, people down there aren't going to be as likely to want to go to baseball games when it's hot out, let alone to sit in traffic to get to the stadium by and large.

But I do think that they ought to find another southeastern city, non-Florida city besides Atlanta to get a team.

Young Drachma 05-17-2007 03:25 PM

Dola --

Thanks for mentioning that BP article, though. I'm heading over there. I love reading about this subject.

Ksyrup 05-17-2007 03:27 PM

Rob Neyer had a good article today about what the Rays are doing. They're trying to draw TV viewership interest from Orlando and the West Coast of Florida. Combined, they would have the 12th biggest market in MLB. They aren't so much concerned about people coming to games as they are building TV viewership.

I don't know if anything is going to work there, but it's worth a shot.

Young Drachma 05-17-2007 03:30 PM

I do think it's a smart strategy given that Orlando is never going to be a MLB market realistically.

Lathum 05-17-2007 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 1466529)
Ouch. Cubs give up 5 in the 9th and lose 6-5. That's gotta sting.

I tivo'd the game and just watched the end of it, awesome!!!

Chief Rum 05-17-2007 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawgfan (Post 1466169)
Like I said, I'm not saying he's not necessarily an ass. But it's only certain players, and primarily the manager that Guillen has a problem with on the Angels. Kelvim Escobar happens to be one of Guillen's best friends in the game.

Washburn and Guillen have apparently mended fences enough for the situation to not be a distraction. As long as Guillen isn't a cancer in the clubhouse and is helping the team on the field, I'm happy, and so far both seem to be the case.

Except that the pitcher got blown up early because it appeared he and many of his teammates just weren't into the game.

The tickets tonight were a gift from several weeks ago, so I had no idea going in who'd be starting. That said, Baek pitched pretty well (and probably shouldn't have been yanked when he was). The M's just couldn't get anything going off of Lackey, and failed in the two opportunities they had to score some runs.

"Appearances" can be deceiving. Escobar is not the type of player to just give up on a game. I think you're ability to read Angels' players minds is impressive, at least in your own mind.

Baek actually did pitch pretty well, and he shouldn't have been yanked. You may not have won keeping him in there, but Hargrove made certain you lost it with some odd decisions with his staff last night.

It was great seeing Guillen being the one to blow the M's biggest opportunity when he swung at a pitch even Vlad couldn't have hit.

And as for "only certain players and primarily the manager" having a problem with Guillen, isn't, you know, more than maybe one player or staffer too much? Heck, I'll even give you everyone has three or four others in the clubhouse who may not like them. Guillen had at least half that team hating on him, and deservedly so.

I don't know if it is because you're a M's fan or what, but, honestly, this isn't a guy you should be defending. You have far better and more worthy players on your team to talk up (such as King Felix) than this guy.

dawgfan 05-17-2007 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Rum (Post 1466747)
"Appearances" can be deceiving. Escobar is not the type of player to just give up on a game. I think you're ability to read Angels' players minds is impressive, at least in your own mind.

I obviously have no idea what they're actual state of minds were. What's not disputable is that the Angels played poorly from the start of that game - the error by Figgins, the wild pitch by Escobar in the first; the error by Izturis, the second wild pitch by Escobar, the weak efforts by Napoli to defend the consecutive stolen bases by Beltre, the lousy pitch Carrasco served up to Lopez in the third, and that was basically the ballgame.

Did they just have an off-day? Could be. I certainly can't imagine them purposely taking that game lightly and intentionally mailing it in - I'm just saying it sure didn't look like their best effort, whether it was intentional or not.

Quote:

Baek actually did pitch pretty well, and he shouldn't have been yanked. You may not have won keeping him in there, but Hargrove made certain you lost it with some odd decisions with his staff last night.
Hargrove sucks. I'd bet he ends up costing the M's 5 wins minimum per year with bad moves. I couldn't figure out why he was yanking Baek - he only had 94 pitches at that point and it didn't seem from my vantage point like he was losing effectiveness.

Quote:

It was great seeing Guillen being the one to blow the M's biggest opportunity when he swung at a pitch even Vlad couldn't have hit.
No question, that was a hugely disappointing ending to what had started off a very promising at-bat in a hugely critical situation.

Quote:

I don't know if it is because you're a M's fan or what, but, honestly, this isn't a guy you should be defending. You have far better and more worthy players on your team to talk up (such as King Felix) than this guy.
I'm not seeing how I've been defending him all that much, but I'll say this - a fiery guy who pisses off some of his teammates and seems to thrive on being angry at somebody as a means of motivation is preferable (to me) to wife-abusers, law-breakers, steroid abusers and many others. On the scale of players to dislike, I can't get too upset about Guillen. In my book, a guy like Julio Mateo is far more worthy of my scorn than Guillen. And yes, part of that is because we've only had Guillen for a short time and there doesn't appear (at least not yet) to be any major clubhouse issues surrounding him being here. And considering he's probably not going to be here long-term anyway, I don't suspect Guillen is someone I'm going to feel compelled to actively dislike much.

And yeah, there are other players I'm more inclined to talk up than Guillen - Ichiro, Hernandez, Putz, Morrow, Lowe (if he returns healthy), Lopez, Johjima - but you can't argue that so far, Guillen has been a pretty successful signing for Bavasi (pretty much his only successful transaction of the past off-season).

I can certainly understand why an Angel fan would feel scorn for him, but you have to understand your view is inherently tainted by your fandom for the Angels.

Bad-example 05-17-2007 09:30 PM

Tim Lincecum put in a great start tonight in Houston, allowing only the one run on a sac fly in the 4th. Sure looks like the real deal.

7.0 IP 93 P 2 H 1 ER 1 BB 10 K

kingfc22 05-17-2007 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad-example (Post 1466825)
Tim Lincecum put in a great start tonight in Houston, allowing only the one unearned run on a sac fly in the 4th. Sure looks like the real deal.

7.0 IP 93 P 2 H 0 ER 1 BB 10 K

Fixed it for ya.

Vince 05-17-2007 09:41 PM

I have a serious man-crush on the guy kid.

SirFozzie 05-17-2007 10:38 PM

Somehow, the Sox are now Nine and a half games up on the Yankees a quarter of the way into the season.

If you told me that
A) Julian Tavarez was going to start the first game of a doubleheader
B) Curt Schilling was going to look like he was 75 years old in the nightcap
C) The offense was going to score SIX runs in the doubleheader

I'd assume that the Sox LOST both ends of the double header, not WIN both ends of the double header.

Now, I KNOW that the Sox PROBABLY won't win 112 games (that's what they're on pace for, at 28-12 through 40 games), but just.. wow.

Atocep 05-17-2007 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirFozzie (Post 1466851)
Somehow, the Sox are now Nine and a half games up on the Yankees a quarter of the way into the season.

If you told me that
A) Julian Tavarez was going to start the first game of a doubleheader
B) Curt Schilling was going to look like he was 75 years old in the nightcap
C) The offense was going to score SIX runs in the doubleheader

I'd assume that the Sox LOST both ends of the double header, not WIN both ends of the double header.

Now, I KNOW that the Sox PROBABLY won't win 112 games (that's what they're on pace for, at 28-12 through 40 games), but just.. wow.

Sox have to hope that this continues to put pressure on Steinbrenner to make a move he'll eventually regret. Something along the lines of firing Cashman or Torre and bringing Raul Mondesi out of retirement to replace Abreu.

It'll be interesting to see how much of an impact Clemens has on the Yankees. They're paying him $28 million (prorated) for 2/3 of a season. Last time he was with the Yankees he had an ERA over 4 over the course of 5 seasons. I think we'll get a better idea of how much age has affected Clemens than we did when he was in Houston.

I have a feeling the Sox run away with this and the Yankees hover around .500 the entire season.

Ksyrup 05-17-2007 10:55 PM

The Yanks' luck has been bad. Based on their RS/RA differential, they should be 5 games over .500, while the Sox are dead-on theirs. Unfortunately, I expect them to rebound some, but I think our only hope is that they fall short of the WC. I would love to see a .500 Yankees team, but I seriously doubt it will happen.

Bad-example 05-17-2007 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingfc22 (Post 1466828)
Fixed it for ya.

Thanks. I tuned in late and thought the run was earned. Even better :)

Atocep 05-17-2007 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 1466864)
The Yanks' luck has been bad. Based on their RS/RA differential, they should be 5 games over .500, while the Sox are dead-on theirs. Unfortunately, I expect them to rebound some, but I think our only hope is that they fall short of the WC. I would love to see a .500 Yankees team, but I seriously doubt it will happen.

They have had some bad luck, but run differential really isn't useful until around the midway point in the season. Right now were still have a relatively small sample size. A couple blowout wins can really throw things off this early in the season.

I do think they'll rebound, but I don't think rebounding for this team is even 90-win pace. They have major pitching issues that Clemens isn't going to fix. Their bullpen is absolutely horrible and incredibly overworked.

They're also dealing with regression from Cano, nagging injuries from Damon, and an aging Abreu. I've been waiting on Jeter to regress a bit, considering he had one of the highest BABIP over the past 20 years last season, but I'm actually starting to wonder if its ever going to happen.

Crapshoot 05-17-2007 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince (Post 1466832)
I have a serious man-crush on the guy kid.

You, me, and every Giants fan with a brain. :D

Fouts 05-18-2007 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad-example (Post 1466825)
Tim Lincecum put in a great start tonight in Houston, allowing only the one run on a sac fly in the 4th. Sure looks like the real deal.

7.0 IP 93 P 2 H 1 ER 1 BB 10 K

Watched part of the game tonight and Lincecum is nasty.

sterlingice 05-18-2007 11:46 PM

Woo! Royals have won 4 of 5.

SI

Chief Rum 05-19-2007 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sterlingice (Post 1467550)
Woo! Royals have won 4 of 5.

SI

And 3 of 4 of them were from the A's. Thanks!

Ksyrup 05-19-2007 07:27 AM

Watched the end of the Yankees game. So much fun. They lose the first game against the Mets with Pettitte on the mound, and now have to face Glavine and Maine with Razner and some dude making his MLB debut.