Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   FOFC Archive (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   2009 MLB Regular Season Thread (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=70981)

JetsIn06 07-23-2009 03:09 PM

OH MY GOD

Did anyone just fucking see that!!!

MikeVic 07-23-2009 03:11 PM

Officially a perfect game?

stevew 07-23-2009 03:11 PM

yeah-

Logan 07-23-2009 03:12 PM

What was the big play?

yacovfb 07-23-2009 03:12 PM

Wait a sec...gamecenter said Kaplar doubled at first. Was it actually close to a double or were they just making that up?

kingfc22 07-23-2009 03:13 PM

CF Wise robbed a home run, running into the wall and juggling it to the ground. At least that is how Jon Miller described it on the Giants radio broadcast.

Jas_lov 07-23-2009 03:14 PM

It was a long drive deep to CF and Wise leaped up at the wall and made the catch. If he didn't, the ball was going out of the park.

Maple Leafs 07-23-2009 03:15 PM

Was that the final out?

stevew 07-23-2009 03:15 PM

holy shit, that was the craziest catch ever.

edit) first out of the inning. Basically robbed a homer, and then almost dropped it on the way back in, and then more or less barehanded it to control. Insane.

Logan 07-23-2009 03:15 PM

Impressive.

Big Fo 07-23-2009 03:15 PM

Yeah, his glove was at least a foot over the top of the fence and then he juggled it on the way down before securing it with his non-gloved hand. Pretty awesome.

MikeVic 07-23-2009 03:15 PM

Didn't Wise just come in as a defensive replacement too?

k0ruptr 07-23-2009 03:16 PM

MARK BUEHRLE I LOVE YOU

JetsIn06 07-23-2009 03:16 PM

The play was the first out of the inning.

Seriously one of the best plays I've ever seen. On the way down he bobbled it and basically had to catch it with his bare hand.

TheNorm 07-23-2009 03:18 PM

That was a great play by Wise, ah well, tip of the hat to Buehrle. Hopefully that's the highlight of the rest of the week for the White Sox. :D

k0ruptr 07-23-2009 03:19 PM

I didn't post here earlier, didn't want to jinx it. but an AMAZING PLAY, and some amazing pitching today. oh yea

NICE TRY DETOX

larrymcg421 07-23-2009 03:21 PM

Reminds me of the Otis Nixon play against the Pirates, except that one preserved a victory.

samifan24 07-23-2009 03:22 PM

I'm very happy for Mark Buehrle, Dewayne Wise and the White Sox. What an impressive feat.

Maple Leafs 07-23-2009 03:23 PM

This play apparently happened 15 minutes ago, and I'm increasingly annoyed that I haven't seen the video anywhere.

I love the internet age.

Logan 07-23-2009 03:24 PM

Almost sounds like Endy Chavez in the 2006 NLCS against the Cardinals, at least the dead run part (as opposed to having a chance to plant and time the leap).

Enough talk...there's gotta be a link to share.

MikeVic 07-23-2009 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maple Leafs (Post 2080643)
This play apparently happened 15 minutes ago, and I'm increasingly annoyed that I haven't seen the video anywhere.

I love the internet age.

Hahaha me too. Where the hell is a video already!

Maple Leafs 07-23-2009 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeVic (Post 2080648)
Hahaha me too. Where the hell is a video already!

Seriously. What am I, amish? Let's go!

k0ruptr 07-23-2009 03:30 PM

espn people.

k0ruptr 07-23-2009 03:30 PM

its amazing, but even more amazing that it was to preserve a perfect game in the 9th inning.

k0ruptr 07-23-2009 03:31 PM

also video is on front page of mlb.com

ThunderingHERD 07-23-2009 03:33 PM

Logan 07-23-2009 03:34 PM

Bunch of people won't be able to tell their boss that they saw a perfect game.

MikeVic 07-23-2009 03:34 PM

Thanks, finally!

Good catch.

k0ruptr 07-23-2009 03:35 PM

I couldn't be having a better day! OMG

Travis 07-23-2009 03:37 PM

Just watched it on the iphone mlb app.

Unreal play, especially given that that would have been the first play Wise was in for I'm assuming? Nice move by the skipper and Buerhle is probably buying them both an awfully nice dinner.

Logan 07-23-2009 03:42 PM

I can't believe Ramon Castro caught the fuckin thing.

k0ruptr 07-23-2009 03:48 PM

It's my girlfriends birthday, and she woke up to me screaming and yelling some nonsense about how I'll love dewayne wise for the rest of my life.

k0ruptr 07-23-2009 03:50 PM

dola damn these people are quick! from Wise' wikipedia page

Quote:

On July 23, 2009, Wise made a spectacular home run robbing catch in the 9th inning to preserve a perfect game thrown by Mark Buehrle.

PackerFanatic 07-23-2009 03:50 PM

Awesome.

dawgfan 07-23-2009 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyshaka (Post 2080022)
If I'm the player in question I would be thinking about passing up whatever deal is on the table now and then what could happen when I throw my arm out pitching for some independent league team who doesn't give two shits about what happens to me so long as I'm on the mound as often as possible so tickets get sold.

I might be thinking about what might happen if I don't pitch as well as I have been lately and after re-entering the draft I could slide a few spots...or rounds. Whoops.

So you take the first offer the team pushes your way? You don't try to negotiate at all? That's your right, and as the client it's ultimately your call. But are you really telling me you wouldn't want someone to help you negotiate to see if you can do better than what you'd get on your own?

As for specific points you bring up, in particular this one stands out:

Quote:

I'm also thinking about the fact that I'm going to hit free agency one year later because I'm holding out for a extra mil or two (no idea what Stras has been offered/is expecting) now meanwhile I could be giving up 10's of millions of dollars for what would've been my first year of free agency.
The difference between what Strasburg appears to be asking for right now and what the Nats are probably offering is far more than a mil or two. And with the fragile nature of pitchers and the frequency that they blow their arms out, it's hardly a sure thing that he'll hit his free agency years as a guy in demand. Strasburg knows he's in heavy demand now - there's a decent chance he won't be in demand by the time he'd hit free agency. For pitchers, there's a big incentive to maximize your payday now, because you may not ever see another big one.

johnnyshaka 07-23-2009 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawgfan (Post 2080728)
So you take the first offer the team pushes your way? You don't try to negotiate at all? That's your right, and as the client it's ultimately your call. But are you really telling me you wouldn't want someone to help you negotiate to see if you can do better than what you'd get on your own?

There's negotiating and then there is demanding...Bora$ uses the latter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawgfan (Post 2080728)
The difference between what Strasburg appears to be asking for right now and what the Nats are probably offering is far more than a mil or two. And with the fragile nature of pitchers and the frequency that they blow their arms out, it's hardly a sure thing that he'll hit his free agency years as a guy in demand. Strasburg knows he's in heavy demand now - there's a decent chance he won't be in demand by the time he'd hit free agency. For pitchers, there's a big incentive to maximize your payday now, because you may not ever see another big one.

So the team needs to take ALL the risk on whether he even makes the team at some point, is able to even play for the majority of his contract, and is worth every penny of the deal?

ThunderingHERD 07-23-2009 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyshaka (Post 2080849)
So the team needs to take ALL the risk on whether he even makes the team at some point, is able to even play for the majority of his contract, and is worth every penny of the deal?

Every contract is a balancing act of risk vs. reward. If they don't like the balance then they don't have to sign him.

Crapshoot 07-23-2009 08:08 PM

Quote:

Wtf? Demanding? Tell you what, I want you to work for min wage. And if you complain, that's "demanding." This just comes across as petty jealousy; "oh my gawd, how dare a player demand big money for his services."

The team gets 6 years of cost-controlled major league service. A marginal win is worth about $4M on the open market; 6 ML years of Strasburg will far exceed the value of whatever contract he signs. If the team does not believe Strasburg is worth it, they are free to draft someone else. If he was on the open market, he would get $50M; easily. For him, this may be the only contract of his life, and he's only allowed to negotiate with one party; I'd damn well get every $ I can.

molson 07-23-2009 09:27 PM

Quote:

And it works for him. He's a huge success, and his players are successful because of him.

I'd love to see it all crash down upon him, have a couple of high profile failures where his aggressive tactics backfire on him - but it doesn't really happen. He's obviously not an idiot, he knows where that line is.

DaddyTorgo 07-23-2009 09:56 PM

i think the problem is that MLB contracts are guaranteed. that seems to be somewhat of a consensus?

dawgfan 07-23-2009 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crapshoot (Post 2080856)
Wtf? Demanding? Tell you what, I want you to work for min wage. And if you complain, that's "demanding." This just comes across as petty jealousy; "oh my gawd, how dare a player demand big money for his services."

The team gets 6 years of cost-controlled major league service. A marginal win is worth about $4M on the open market; 6 ML years of Strasburg will far exceed the value of whatever contract he signs. If the team does not believe Strasburg is worth it, they are free to draft someone else. If he was on the open market, he would get $50M; easily. For him, this may be the only contract of his life, and he's only allowed to negotiate with one party; I'd damn well get every $ I can.

Crapshoot gets it. johnnyshaka doesn't.

johnnyshaka 07-23-2009 10:46 PM

Quote:

CS, not sure why you are getting so irritated as this is the second time you've quoted me and started with "wtf"...huh? And I'm not jealous of these guys at all, in fact, if it weren't for them I couldn't enjoy the great game of baseball so I'm thankful for them.

I have no problem working for minimum wage when I have no experience and I'm the lowest guy on the totem pole...and I'm sure I'm not the only one here who's done it, and I won't be the last.

Quote:

So a team that can't afford to miss on that magnitude (need players and don't have the scratch to gamble it away) is left with a pretty big decision...put all the eggs in one basket and hope to God he doesn't get hurt...is as good as advertised...and hope he doesn't get hurt. But on the other hand, some of the more well off guys can take that risk any day of the week and twice on Sundays. If he doesn't work out, that's OK, it's just money and we'll go sign the best guy on the market to take his place...oh well. That's why it bugs me...this system only works for about half a dozen teams...and that's stretching it.

larrymcg421 07-23-2009 11:40 PM

Having seen the replays a few times, I'm not sure that the Wise play would have been a Home Run. It looks like it was coming down at a pretty steep angle and would've hit just below the top of the fence.

johnnyshaka 07-23-2009 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larrymcg421 (Post 2081046)
Having seen the replays a few times, I'm not sure that the Wise play would have been a Home Run. It looks like it was coming down at a pretty steep angle and would've hit just below the top of the fence.

Still would've ended the bid for a perfect game, though.

And for those keeping score at home, Garrett Jones knocked in a couple of runs (so far) tonight without hitting a homer.

larrymcg421 07-23-2009 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyshaka (Post 2081051)
Still would've ended the bid for a perfect game, though.

And for those keeping score at home, Garrett Jones knocked in a couple of runs (so far) tonight without hitting a homer.

Definitely. I'm certainly not suggesting it wasn't a great play.

stevew 07-24-2009 12:01 AM

Yeah-Garrett Fuckin' Jones was 3-4 tonight.

The pirates chase Haren in 5, then proceed to give up 10 unanswered runs. Not a good day today.

lordscarlet 07-24-2009 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyshaka (Post 2081018)

I have no problem working for minimum wage when I have no experience and I'm the lowest guy on the totem pole...and I'm sure I'm not the only one here who's done it, and I won't be the last.

The difference is that when you are hired at minimum wage you are not required to work for minimum wage for six years, have a high chance at injury/failure, and are not barred from working at any other company in your field.

kingfc22 07-24-2009 10:24 AM

Can the White Sox get that buffoon off the microphone!

Great performance is almost tainted by that horrendous radio call.

LloydLungs 07-24-2009 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingfc22 (Post 2081295)
Can the White Sox get that buffoon off the microphone!

Great performance is almost tainted by that horrendous radio call.

Radio call? You mean you're referencing a buffoon White Sox announcer and it's NOT Hawk Harrelson? How many can they have over there?

I'm trying to avoid watching the Wise play with the sound on for fear of having to hear the uncomfortable sounds of the explosive multiple hillbilly orgasms coming from Hawk. Poor Stoney... I hope he had already bailed out of the booth at that point...

kingfc22 07-24-2009 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LloydLungs (Post 2081304)
Radio call? You mean you're referencing a buffoon White Sox announcer and it's NOT Hawk Harrelson? How many can they have over there?

I'm trying to avoid watching the Wise play with the sound on for fear of having to hear the uncomfortable sounds of the explosive multiple hillbilly orgasms coming from Hawk. Poor Stoney... I hope he had already bailed out of the booth at that point...

No it was Hawk. Heard the call on the radio this morning on my way into work. Wasn't sure if he just did TV or radio for the Sox.

But he is embarassing.