Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   FOFC Archive (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   The official 2008 MLB thread (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=64257)

ISiddiqui 10-25-2008 11:57 PM

Upton just Willie Mays Hayes'd that one.

Dr. Sak 10-25-2008 11:57 PM

That bullshit bunt call is costing them now.

Lathum 10-26-2008 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Sak (Post 1870947)

arent you at the game??

Lathum 10-26-2008 12:17 AM

Jesus, you can't get picked off of second base as the go ahead run with 1 out.

MikeVic 10-26-2008 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ISiddiqui (Post 1870945)
Upton just Willie Mays Hayes'd that one.

Exactly what I thought. :D

EagleFan 10-26-2008 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Sak (Post 1870947)

Should be 4-2 and Lidge time.

Bad feeling about this, especially with yet another baserunning screw up by Werth.

Lathum 10-26-2008 12:34 AM

man, the Rays are just asking to blow this game by putting the lead off runners on in the late innings.

Lathum 10-26-2008 12:39 AM

well that was ugly

SirFozzie 10-26-2008 12:39 AM

"Find 6 errors in this play and win $5,000"!

ISiddiqui 10-26-2008 12:49 AM

Don't tell me all the Phils fans went to bed ;).

Qwikshot 10-26-2008 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ISiddiqui (Post 1870964)

Not this one...g'damn that was edge of your seat...

EagleFan 10-26-2008 12:52 AM

Not pretty but I'll take it.

EagleFan 10-26-2008 12:56 AM

Enjoy the game tomorrow, make that tonight, Dr. Sak.

RedKingGold 10-26-2008 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ISiddiqui (Post 1870964)

Oh, was definitely awake for every single pitch.

However, I went to bed (very happily, I may add) within two minutes of Bruntlett crossing the plate. :)

Dr. Sak 10-26-2008 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lathum (Post 1870951)
arent you at the game??

I have tickets for Game 4.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EagleFan (Post 1870967)
Enjoy the game tomorrow, make that tonight, Dr. Sak.

Thanks man! I have to leave for the airport soon. Go Phils! Im hoping to maybe scaple some tickets for the Eagles game too.

Go Phils!

Alan T 10-26-2008 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Sak (Post 1871008)
Im hoping to maybe scaple some tickets for the Eagles game too.

Go Falcons!

stevew 10-26-2008 09:06 AM

I couldn't stay awake. I am that weak sauce.

With a 1 run lead, and no more Mitch Williams, I figured i was in good hands with Lidge.

McLovin 10-26-2008 07:50 PM

stupid ump..Rollins was out.

EagleFan 10-26-2008 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McLovin (Post 1871368)
stupid ump..Rollins was out.

About time a bad call went the Phils way this series.

EagleFan 10-26-2008 08:47 PM

dola: It shouldn't have even led to that as the pitcher was an idiot for going after Rollins when he had an inning ending double play handed to him if he goes to second.

McLovin 10-26-2008 08:58 PM

True.. Howard starting to get hot ??

sterlingice 10-26-2008 09:00 PM

The Rays just need to chip away here to make the game interesting. This is the first time in the series a game feels like it's slipping away from one team.

SI

McLovin 10-26-2008 09:03 PM

The Rays need to start hitting if they want to stay in this.

sterlingice 10-26-2008 09:06 PM

Oh geez.

SI

Lathum 10-26-2008 09:07 PM

omg

Young Drachma 10-26-2008 09:08 PM

I think the Phillies deserve the title, so I hope they get it. That city has suffered enough

McLovin 10-26-2008 09:09 PM

Oh yeah, they need to start not letting pitchers get HR's....

Young Drachma 10-26-2008 09:14 PM

I totally missed that Blanton was the one that went deep. Hilarious. I had it on mute...but how 'bout that.

EagleFan 10-26-2008 09:25 PM

If they hang on to win this I can't even imagine what the atmosphere is going to be like at CBP tomorrow.

EagleFan 10-26-2008 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Cloud (Post 1871439)
I totally missed that Blanton was the one that went deep. Hilarious. I had it on mute...but how 'bout that.

That was a shot too. Not like a barely made it out CBP only type of homer.

cuervo72 10-26-2008 10:25 PM

Oh my.

stevew 10-26-2008 10:46 PM

woot!

One more fkn game!

tucker rocky 10-26-2008 10:55 PM

Phillies in complete control.
I want the Phillies to win this in front of the long suffering Philadelphia sports fans.

EagleFan 10-26-2008 11:28 PM

Unbelievable!!! One more win!!!

Howard is heating up and Hamels is going tomorrow. It at least looks promising.

Unfortunately you need to sell a kidney to get a ticket on that legalized scalping agency known as stubhub.

I may try to get a group together and go to McFadden's though.

sterlingice 10-26-2008 11:31 PM

Haha. The "cheapest" ticket on stubhub right now is $666 :devil:

(well, it's $2000 for 3 tickets, but it shows up as 666 apiece) They're a lot cheaper for games 6 and 7 ;)

SI

EagleFan 10-26-2008 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sterlingice (Post 1871548)
Haha. The "cheapest" ticket on stubhub right now is $666 :devil:

(well, it's $2000 for 3 tickets, but it shows up as 666 apiece) They're a lot cheaper for games 6 and 7 ;)

SI

Those are the auctioned ones so it's the current cheapest bid. The cheapest set price I saw was about 850.

EagleFan 10-26-2008 11:34 PM

Never mind, the cheapest set price is now 950.

EagleFan 10-26-2008 11:37 PM

Wow, some people are trying a bit too much. One block of 8 is set for 20,000 each. There is a block of 4 in the same section and in a better row for just (a relative term) 1,429 each.

Dr. Sak 10-27-2008 07:51 AM

What a game last night! One more!

RedKingGold 10-27-2008 09:31 AM

I have a bad feeling about this.

Butter 10-27-2008 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Cloud (Post 1871435)
I think the Phillies deserve the title, so I hope they get it. That city has suffered enough

You remember what happened when we said that about Boston, don't you? :eek:

As a National League homer, go Phils.

Dr. Sak 10-27-2008 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedKingGold (Post 1871739)
I have a bad feeling about this.

I hope the team doesn't have the same attitude the fans have. WIP was planning the parade last night. People were running around celebrating. There is still one more game to be won.

Qwikshot 10-27-2008 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Sak (Post 1871747)
I hope the team doesn't have the same attitude the fans have. WIP was planning the parade last night. People were running around celebrating. There is still one more game to be won.

First of all 610 WIP is the worst, /worst/ sports talk station there is. They find fault with everything these teams do, because they /care/...just like hackers break into systems for the benefit of proving things are broken or have security lapses.

They ooze contempt for anyone who is knowledgible about sports, they hate statisticians, or anyone with some sort of reasoned analysis.

They rely on negative callers to sensationalize issues rather than have any sort of reasoned discussion.

Now they want to pat themselves on the back for how well the team is doing - Angelo Cataldi actually wanted to leave game 3 because it was /late/...here's a guy with tickets (which I'm assuming he got free or hooked up because he only wanted to pay a thousand each) and he was tired and didn't want to stay.

Morganti is credible but admits to being a BoSox fan (which is fine since he is from Boston).

The morning crew for the most part of the year didn't believe Hamels to be an ace because he lacked the me-first attitude of say a Curt Schilling. They have constantly brought up discussions on how to trade Ryan Howard.

This is also the same crew that brought bus after bus to the NFL draft to boo the pick of McNabb (they all wanted Ricky Williams). And they have continually lambasted the Eagles organization, which while it is frustrating to watch year after year, have at least had a flicker of a chance. (Imagine a team like the Chiefs, Dolphins, or Falcons playing here).

For a while there, WIP ignored the Phillies, barely knew their rotations or would attempt to think up trades in which the Phillies garbage could be passed off for some star player or prospect (not that the Ed Wade years weren't nasty but at least some sort of reasoned understanding would be nice).

Eskin is even worse, the man oozes slime from the radio.

There is very little to like or discern as intelligent from that station.

610 relies generally on the stereotypical Philadelphia fan, the thug.

EagleFan 10-27-2008 11:58 AM

I agree on much of what Qwik said. I do like a couple people from WIP but most are just on air to stir up crap. Anthony and Glen are the only ones on there that I actually enjoy listening to. I liked Marzano when he was on, it was a shame what happened to him.

Lathum 10-27-2008 12:11 PM

One thing I noticed when I switched to XM was how much more I actualy enjoyed sports talk radio.

I grew up on WFAN and Mike and the Maddog and as much as I love them I couldn't stomach the crazy Yankees fans calling up and concocting ways they could trade Carl Pavano and Kyle Farnsworth for Roy Oswalt.

sterlingice 10-27-2008 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lathum (Post 1871828)
One thing I noticed when I switched to XM was how much more I actualy enjoyed sports talk radio.

I grew up on WFAN and Mike and the Maddog and as much as I love them I couldn't stomach the crazy Yankees fans calling up and concocting ways they could trade Carl Pavano and Kyle Farnsworth for Roy Oswalt.

What are some of the better sports talk shows to listen to around? Don't necessarily have to be national- heck I've found some local to be better. In Richmond, there's not much but it's not a huge sports market. However, in KC, there is one show I'll still tune into because it's the best sports talk I've heard and it's just a local show but not necessarily a huge homer, just good analysis and sports talk. I'd love to get some other good stuff into the rotation.

SI

Qwikshot 10-27-2008 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EagleFan (Post 1871815)
I agree on much of what Qwik said. I do like a couple people from WIP but most are just on air to stir up crap. Anthony and Glen are the only ones on there that I actually enjoy listening to. I liked Marzano when he was on, it was a shame what happened to him.

Gary Cobb knows at least some people and can discuss football related things, but even he was wrong about the Boldin trades (man, everyday there would be a Boldin rumor).

Eskin presents rumor into fact, he stirs up a lot of junk, and when he does have a good point its generally swallowed over the ooze of smugness. I once met Eskin in person in a Flyers box seat, and he had an aura about him then. I won't forgive him for making fun of Charlie Manual because of the way Charlie speaks...he would call him "Gomer" and state that because of the way he speaks he lacks intelligence. Eskin was so angry when the Phils fired Bowa who used him to speak ill of players that needed to step up...running the likes of Scott Rolen, Bobby Abreu, and consistenty harping on Pat Burrell and Ryan Howard (especially Ryan).

Marzano was okay, but even he would go into these negatives about the Phils. Let's face it John wasn't that good of a ball player. Mitch Williams coming back was okay, and he gives a nice perspective since he was a pretty well-known player, and for all the slights against Philly fans, he's been welcomed back as a commentator.

Rhea gets on my nerves; Hugh Douglas needs to find another line of work, whatever expert analysis went up in smoke being with the morning crew. Keith Jones is likeable as a person (hell he saved Eric Lindros from bleeding to death), but Jonesy lacks any really sports analysis and just comes across as a happy-go-lucky guy who spouts the same cliched platitudes and one-liners that his active hockey compatriots do.

I like Morganti, but not around the morning crew.

edited - Morganti was spelled incorrectly

Lathum 10-27-2008 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sterlingice (Post 1871833)
What are some of the better sports talk shows to listen to around? Don't necessarily have to be national- heck I've found some local to be better. In Richmond, there's not much but it's not a huge sports market. However, in KC, there is one show I'll still tune into because it's the best sports talk I've heard and it's just a local show but not necessarily a huge homer, just good analysis and sports talk. I'd love to get some other good stuff into the rotation.

SI

I really like the Fox guys.

Steve Szaben (SP?) is awesome. Great mix of humor and knowledge and he has great spots and guests. His weekly spot with Brandon Lang is can't miss for me.

Chris Myers is also really good.

I love Maddog's new show.

Galloway and Company is a show from Dallas that is really good and The Dan Patrick Show is good.

I also like the Max Kellerman show because he is such an over the top homer it is funny.

Dr. Sak 10-27-2008 12:44 PM

I agree with Lathum on Steve Czaben and The Dan Patrick Show.

lordscarlet 10-27-2008 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Sak (Post 1871851)
I agree with Lathum on Steve Czaben and The Dan Patrick Show.

I enjoyed Czaben when he was local. He's probably still good, but I don't spend any time in the car these days, so that means very little radio listening.