Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   FOFC Archive (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   The official 2008 MLB thread (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=64257)

molson 04-03-2008 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zē+ (Post 1699052)
I consider myself an avid baseball follower, but I haven't seen this before, and am unclear on the rules. In tonight's Pirates/Braves game, an Atlanta pitcher started the inning pitching, then moved to left field for a batter, then came back to the mound and pitched again. Was this permitted because he didn't technically leave the game? And if so, why isn't this technique utilized more often (the defensive shortcomings can't be THAT great, especially for just one batter). Any of you grognards have any insight?

Ya, there's no special rules about being a pitcher when it comes to substitutions, they're just like everyone else. Once they leave, they're gone. But managers can move guys who are in the game around at will, with no limitations.

This technique definitely happened a lot more in the 80s - these days, with deeper, more specialized bullpens, it makes more sense to just pull the guy. And the defense shortcomings CAN be pretty great, depending on the skill of the batter, fielding skills of the pitcher. If you put Todd Jones out in right field, a good hitter can just send a routine fly ball out there and it'd be an adventure.

DaddyTorgo 04-03-2008 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by molson (Post 1699056)
Ya, there's no special rules about being a pitcher when it comes to substitutions, they're just like everyone else. Once they leave, they're gone. But managers can move guys who are in the game around at will, with no limitations.

This technique definitely happened a lot more in the 80s - these days, with deeper, more specialized bullpens, it makes more sense to just pull the guy. And the defense shortcomings CAN be pretty great, depending on the skill of the batter, fielding skills of the pitcher. If you put Todd Jones out in right field, a good hitter can just send a routine fly ball out there and it'd be an adventure.

make your pitchers take fly balls once a week. Shit...they all did it in little league i'd be willing to bet

Lathum 04-03-2008 11:14 PM

I would think it could be an injury concern, I wouldn't want my pitcher running into the wall or pulling a hamy

sterlingice 04-03-2008 11:24 PM

*dances a jig about the Royals* :D

SI

Crapshoot 04-04-2008 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sterlingice (Post 1699077)
*dances a jig about the Royals* :D

SI

Hey, I recall discussing with you that I think Greinke's going to be great this year. Control like he has is simply unnatural, and the fact that he has the stuff to go with it...

Ksyrup 04-04-2008 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by molson (Post 1699056)

I was watching the Pirates feed of the game at the time, and a good question was posed - actually, the question came off-camera from Kent Tekulve - was it proper for the pitcher to be permitted additional warm-up tosses after he came back to the mound? It wasn't the beginning of the inning, it wasn't his first time in the game, and there was no injury. Not sure he should have been. If the Braves are going to try this more than once, someone ought to answer the question.

ISiddiqui 04-04-2008 02:05 PM

:D

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3328114

Quote:

Thursday, April 3, 2008
Hawk attacks 'A-Rod' on school tour of Fenway, draws blood

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Associated Press

BOSTON -- A 13-year-old girl touring Fenway Park on a school trip was attacked by a resident red-tailed hawk that drew blood from her scalp Thursday.

She wasn't seriously hurt, but some observers saw an omen for a certain New York Yankees slugger in the attack at the home of the Boston Red Sox. The girl's name is Alexa Rodriguez.

Vince Jennetta, a teacher who chaperoned her class trip from Memorial Boulevard Middle School in Bristol, Conn., told The Boston Globe that Alexa is "a little shaken, but OK."

The hawk was perched on a railing in the upper deck behind home plate while the group toured the stadium. The hawk flew at the girl and swooped with its talons extended, scratching her scalp.

A single egg lay in the hawk's nearby nest in an overhang near the stadium's press booth.

The nest and egg were removed at the direction of state wildlife officials.

LOL

Even though I do like A-Rod and think of the Red Sox as Yankees Lite, this story amused the Hell out of me.

MikeVic 04-04-2008 02:06 PM

She took it better than ARod would.

Cringer 04-04-2008 02:21 PM

JR Towles, the 'rookie' catcher for the Astros gets a 2 run homer to give them the lead over the hated Cubs. WooHoo. CF Bourn then gets all three outs in the bottom of the inning, with one a nice diving catch.

Those two are becoming two of my favorite players very quickly. I am loving the Astros more then ever with those two guys and Pence giving some new blood to the team. Berkman, Tejada, and Lee are good guys too. ;)

Just need some pitchers beside Oswalt to like now, hopefully someone steps up.

Ksyrup 04-04-2008 03:01 PM

Since when do the Astros and Cubs have some big rivalry? Or do you just hate the Cubs?

Cringer 04-04-2008 03:22 PM

I hate the Cubs, and pretty much the whole city of Chicago and anything to do with it. :D

Buccaneer 04-04-2008 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cringer (Post 1699504)
I hate the Cubs, and pretty much the whole city of Chicago and anything to do with it. :D

+1, not the whole city and while there are good people there, I despise Cubs fans. :D

watravaler 04-04-2008 06:29 PM

I consider any divisional opponent a rival, and that bastard Pyrzisnki(sic) is beyond hot...

Too bad for the kittens...that pitching staff is going to sink them...

samifan24 04-04-2008 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crapshoot (Post 1699418)
Hey, I recall discussing with you that I think Greinke's going to be great this year. Control like he has is simply unnatural, and the fact that he has the stuff to go with it...

Yeah, Greinke has incredible stuff and I hope he's finally turned the corner. His numbers since the All-Star break last year and very strong. I've got him on my fantasy team and I suggest some of you guys do the same. I hope this is finally his breakout year!

Lathum 04-04-2008 07:01 PM

Gonna have to wait another day to see my boy John Maine pitch

Ksyrup 04-04-2008 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by watravaler (Post 1699582)
that bastard Pyrzisnki(sic) is beyond hot...

Huh?

Ksyrup 04-04-2008 07:07 PM

Ian Kennedy getting hit hard...but the ump was absolutely screwing him on some pitches. Not that I'm complaining!

Buccaneer 04-04-2008 07:11 PM

K, remind me again. Are you pro-Rays or anti-Yankees (or both)?

Ksyrup 04-04-2008 07:14 PM

Definitely anti-Yanks. I think I'm going to enjoy watching the Rays - good young team. But even so, Kennedy was on the ropes and the ump absolutely hung him on a couple of pitches. He had a 2-1 pitch right down the middle called a ball, and with the bases loaded, he grooved the next pitch and the dude hit a bases-clearing double.

MikeVic 04-04-2008 07:27 PM

Decent pitcher's duel in Toronto right now.

Calis 04-04-2008 07:28 PM

Good start for the Royals here, lets keep this sole undefeated team in baseball going another day.

MikeVic 04-04-2008 07:30 PM

Frick nice catch by Rolen's replacement!

saldana 04-04-2008 08:51 PM

bwahahahahahahahahaha...yankees bullpen.....bwahahahahahahahaha.....latroy hawkins blows....bwahahahahahahahahaha.

Ksyrup 04-04-2008 08:51 PM

As a Yankee Hater, I know I'm going to have far more lows than highs this year. But tonight's one I'm glad to be watching. 6 runs off of Kennedy, then Sonnanstine immediately gave back 4, but he settled down and the Rays put up 7 (and counting) in the 8th. Haha!

Ksyrup 04-04-2008 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saldana (Post 1699645)
bwahahahahahahahahaha...yankees bullpen.....bwahahahahahahahaha.....latroy hawkins blows....bwahahahahahahahahaha.

*virtual high five*

saldana 04-04-2008 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 1699599)
Ian Kennedy getting hit hard...but the ump was absolutely screwing him on some pitches. Not that I'm complaining!

the umps in this game have been horrible the entire game....the guy behind the plate has no idea what the strike zone is, and the upton "tag out" at first was an utterly horrendous call.

saldana 04-04-2008 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 1699648)
*virtual high five*

*virtural buys round of beers for other anti-yankees*

Ksyrup 04-04-2008 08:57 PM

Yeah, Carlos Pena got screwed on a few calls, too. At one point, the Yankees announcers just gave up trying to pretend the calls were strikes and admitted they weren't.

henry296 04-04-2008 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 1699430)
I was watching the Pirates feed of the game at the time, and a good question was posed - actually, the question came off-camera from Kent Tekulve - was it proper for the pitcher to be permitted additional warm-up tosses after he came back to the mound? It wasn't the beginning of the inning, it wasn't his first time in the game, and there was no injury. Not sure he should have been. If the Braves are going to try this more than once, someone ought to answer the question.

Interesting that Tekulve asked that question; since he was involved in such a situation during his career with the Pirates.

Here's a link to other examples: http://www.baseball-reference.com/sotd/archives/175

saldana 04-04-2008 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lathum (Post 1699594)
Gonna have to wait another day to see my boy John Maine pitch

which blows...its one less game i will get for free...i may end up buying extra innings...i realized during the week that i am gonna be home every monday through thursday night all season long...do you have 200 bucks i can borrow?

Ksyrup 04-04-2008 09:08 PM

Yeah, the comment from one of the announcers was, "He should know."

Lathum 04-04-2008 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saldana (Post 1699658)
which blows...its one less game i will get for free...i may end up buying extra innings...i realized during the week that i am gonna be home every monday through thursday night all season long...do you have 200 bucks i can borrow?

no but I will be getting the internet package wink wink

also always nice to see the yanks lose, point at your wife and laugh for me

Ksyrup 04-04-2008 09:13 PM

Married to a Yankees fan? God Lord, man! Have you no standards?!

Lathum 04-04-2008 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 1699666)

with the exception of that obvious charecture flaw I love her like a sister

saldana 04-04-2008 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lathum (Post 1699664)
no but I will be getting the internet package wink wink

also always nice to see the yanks lose, point at your wife and laugh for me

she gave you the finger

saldana 04-04-2008 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 1699666)

its tough...her dad and her brother are fanatics too...we didnt speak at all for 2 weeks in october 2000.

Lathum 04-04-2008 09:17 PM

I take back my previous comment

saldana 04-04-2008 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lathum (Post 1699668)
with the exception of that obvious charecture flaw I love her like a sister

glad you arent from west virginia.

Ksyrup 04-04-2008 09:19 PM

Ha! I met my wife in South Florida. Lucky for her, she was an FSU fan and not a Hurricane fan. I probably wouldn't have agreed to the first date if she rooted for Miami.

sterlingice 04-04-2008 09:57 PM

Royals bats not great tonight and Bale gives up 4 in 6 and change, so there are no longer any unbeaten teams with the Royals losing 4-3.

SI

sterlingice 04-04-2008 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crapshoot (Post 1699418)

Of course Greinke has the ability. Need to see how his head is, tho. He could go anywhere from 7-15 with a 5.50 to 18-5, 2.50 and neither would surprise me. Nor would "walks off the mound in the middle of a game and decides he wants to sell stadium hot dogs for a living".

SI

Neuqua 04-04-2008 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cringer (Post 1699504)

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Cringer 04-04-2008 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neuqua (Post 1699690)
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Well if you are going to get all sensative (and give me more fuel for the fire), then I will ease off a little and say I am sure there are a couple decent people there.

lordscarlet 04-04-2008 10:32 PM

Ugh. The Nats left THIRTEEN on base.

Chief Rum 04-05-2008 12:23 AM

We're not going to win this game, but it's fun to see my team try to come back from 11-0 in the ninth. 11-6 now (2 outs).

MrBug708 04-05-2008 12:26 AM

So is Billingsley now a MR pitcher?

The Dodgers new pitcher pitched pretty damn well tonight. 1 run, 3 hits over 7 innings?

Chief Rum 04-05-2008 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBug708 (Post 1699732)

The Dodgers new pitcher pitched pretty damn well tonight. 1 run, 3 hits over 7 innings?

He better not be. I didn't draft him to be a MR.

Chief Rum 04-05-2008 12:28 AM

Hunter got a single, Willits to third. GA flies out to deep, deep RF. Little more and it would have been 11-9. Fun while it lasted.

Atocep 04-05-2008 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBug708 (Post 1699732)

I think Torre was just trying to get him work after he was scratched yesterday. As of right now he's still scheduled to start Tuesday.

Atocep 04-05-2008 02:32 PM

Corey Patterson has a walk, a stolen base, and a homer today. Dusty now has him penciled into the leadoff spot until at least the all star break.