Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   FOFC Archive (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   2009 MLB Regular Season Thread (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=70981)

stevew 06-12-2009 08:04 PM

Porcello pitches at least 7 strong and drives in two runs.

JS19 06-12-2009 09:22 PM

I heart David Wright, the man has been unstoppable the past couple weeks. He just came up with an RBI double on a 2-2 count (i think) off Mo to break a 7-7 tie in the 8th. Been an entertaining game between the two, back and forth.

Lathum 06-12-2009 09:56 PM

I feel ill

Jas_lov 06-12-2009 09:56 PM

lol, what a way to lose for the Mets.

Ksyrup 06-12-2009 09:57 PM

I CANNOT believe what just happened in the Yankees/Mets game. Luis Castillo just dropped an ARod pop-up with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th up 8-7 with 2 men on, they both score, and the Yankees win.

Lathum 06-12-2009 09:58 PM

I wish the idiot Yankee announcers wouldn't call Arod the "hero"

RomaGoth 06-12-2009 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 2048745)
I CANNOT believe what just happened in the Yankees/Mets game. Luis Castillo just dropped an ARod pop-up with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th up 8-7 with 2 men on, they both score, and the Yankees win.

This is the only way the Yankees can win, what with the stellar starting pitching they are providing and all.

Ksyrup 06-12-2009 09:58 PM

Well, I was rooting for the Yankees to lose, but now that teh Red Sox just went up on the Phillies in the top of the 13th, I guess I'm glad the Mets lost.

JS19 06-12-2009 09:58 PM

wow

sterlingice 06-12-2009 10:00 PM

They're showing it on MLBN

SI

Ksyrup 06-12-2009 10:02 PM

You'll want to mute it so you don't have to listen to Michael Kay's giddy call.

DaddyTorgo 06-12-2009 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 2048745)

ugh :banghead:

DaddyTorgo 06-12-2009 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lathum (Post 2048746)
I wish the idiot Yankee announcers wouldn't call Arod the "hero"

let him have his hero moment - this is what...the first game he is somehow involved in them winning since they signed him? :D

Ksyrup 06-12-2009 10:04 PM

I think the worst part of that play on Castillo's part was the throw to second. I'm sure he was in shock, so I guess he wasn't thinking clearly, but he might have gotten Tex at the plate if he had made that throw.

Lathum 06-12-2009 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo (Post 2048756)
let him have his hero moment - this is what...the first game he is somehow involved in them winning since they signed him? :D

he didn't win shit.

Castillo did, I hope KRod punches him in the face in the locker room. This team has dropped more fly balls then a little league team, I've never in my 34 years seen anything like it.

Lathum 06-12-2009 10:05 PM

They should cut Castillo, send a message that this team better shape up in the field

Ksyrup 06-12-2009 10:06 PM

LOL! Props to MLB Network for pulling out the Edward Scissorhands on that short a notice.

JediKooter 06-12-2009 10:09 PM

Welp, Peavy is out for at least a month. The Dodgers just got the NL West handed to them. Oh wait...nevermind...

Ksyrup 06-12-2009 10:12 PM

While we're celebrating knuckleheads, let's give it up for Milton Bradley, the greatest FA signing ever, mistakenly believing he just caught the third out, posing for the fans while a runner goes from 1st to second, and then throwing the ball into the stands while the runners goes to third. HOLY SHIT - he pulled off a rare Larry Walker gaff/Rickey Henderson pose combo!

GreenMonster 06-12-2009 10:23 PM

I have never seen a worse ending to a game than the Yanks/Mets tonight. Arod, not clutch as usual pops it up with 2 outs in the 9th with runners on 1st and 2nd and Castillo drops the ball in shallow right and both runners score and the Yanks win.

DaddyTorgo 06-12-2009 10:24 PM

yah. fucking castillo

DaddyTorgo 06-12-2009 10:25 PM

awww...whiny bitchy Joe Girardi

A baseball official told 1050 ESPN Radio in New York that the Yankees called the commissioner's office Friday to ask that Brad Penny be suspended for hitting Alex Rodriguez in the back during the first inning of Thursday night's Red Sox win.
"Penny's control was pretty good," Girardi said. "I thought it was on purpose. That is all part of baseball."
Yankees pitchers have hit Red Sox players nine times this season. Rodriguez was the third Yankee to be plunked.

RedKingGold 06-12-2009 11:17 PM

I love when my Phillies win and hate when they lose, but damn does it ease the pain a little bit when your rival loses in embarassing fashion. :D

Marmel 06-13-2009 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo (Post 2048789)
awww...whiny bitchy Joe Girardi

A baseball official told 1050 ESPN Radio in New York that the Yankees called the commissioner's office Friday to ask that Brad Penny be suspended for hitting Alex Rodriguez in the back during the first inning of Thursday night's Red Sox win.
"Penny's control was pretty good," Girardi said. "I thought it was on purpose. That is all part of baseball."
Yankees pitchers have hit Red Sox players nine times this season. Rodriguez was the third Yankee to be plunked.

I have to agree with Girardi on this one. What Penney did was pretty bush league. He tried to hit A-Rod with the first pitch and missed. Instead he throws a strike to make it look good then drills him. If that is not as intentional as it gets, I don't know what is. He should have been tossed from the game. The Sox have out beanballed the Yanks at about a 3-1 pace over the last few years.

Logan 06-13-2009 12:39 AM

I still can't believe that happened. One of those losses where you wonder why you even give a shit about this stuff.

DaddyTorgo 06-13-2009 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marmel (Post 2048872)
I have to agree with Girardi on this one. What Penney did was pretty bush league. He tried to hit A-Rod with the first pitch and missed. Instead he throws a strike to make it look good then drills him. If that is not as intentional as it gets, I don't know what is. He should have been tossed from the game. The Sox have out beanballed the Yanks at about a 3-1 pace over the last few years.

I'm not about to go look for the totals, but:

:lol:

In eight games this season, the HBP totals between these two teams breaks down like this:

Red Sox: 9 (Bay (3), Youkilis, Green (2), Varitek, Drew, Bailey)
Yankees: 3 (Teixeira, Jeter, Rodriquez)

And I don't get his point. It's "all part of baseball" but you want him suspended anyways? What about all those times last season when Joba threw beanballs at Youk's head. Nobody over here was bitching for him to get suspended. Man up Joe.

EagleFan 06-13-2009 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedKingGold (Post 2048834)
I love when my Phillies win and hate when they lose, but damn does it ease the pain a little bit when your rival loses in embarassing fashion. :D

+1

Several things happening on that play too.

A-Rod wanting to try for second, thought the coach was going to chase him down and drag him back to first.

Castillo throwing to second. Only chance of anything was a throw home but who knows where his head was at that very moment.

The umpire's reaction. He was jogging out there for formality and does a double take before making the signal on the drop.

The annoying announcers with A-Rod the "hero". I will give him credit that he ran it out. As much as it was fn to see the Mets lose like that I must say that it would have been funny to also see a force out at first if he had not run it out to end the game as what would have been the winning run crossed the plate. ;)

Oh, on a note not related to that game. Why the fuck would they not go to the replay on the Dobbs "foul" ball. The ball is way over the foul pole and hooking, there is no shame in going to the replay there.

DaddyTorgo 06-13-2009 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EagleFan (Post 2048909)
+1

Several things happening on that play too.

A-Rod wanting to try for second, thought the coach was going to chase him down and drag him back to first.

Castillo throwing to second. Only chance of anything was a throw home but who knows where his head was at that very moment.

The umpire's reaction. He was jogging out there for formality and does a double take before making the signal on the drop.

The annoying announcers with A-Rod the "hero". I will give him credit that he ran it out. As much as it was fn to see the Mets lose like that I must say that it would have been funny to also see a force out at first if he had not run it out to end the game as what would have been the winning run crossed the plate. ;)

Oh, on a note not related to that game. Why the fuck would they not go to the replay on the Dobbs "foul" ball. The ball is way over the foul pole and hooking, there is no shame in going to the replay there.

manuel could have asked for it - i dunno why he didn't, but i presume that the first base ump told him there was zero doubt it was foul

sterlingice 06-13-2009 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Logan (Post 2048882)
I still can't believe that happened. One of those losses where you wonder why you even give a shit about this stuff.

Might I refer you to the last page ;)

Front Office Football Central - View Single Post - 2009 MLB Regular Season Thread

SI

EagleFan 06-13-2009 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo (Post 2048913)
manuel could have asked for it - i dunno why he didn't, but i presume that the first base ump told him there was zero doubt it was foul

He did ask for it.

DaddyTorgo 06-13-2009 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EagleFan (Post 2049142)
He did ask for it.

really? based on what? lip-reading? or has he gone in-print as saying that?

BishopMVP 06-13-2009 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EagleFan (Post 2049142)
He did ask for it.

Earlier in the season the umps had a 10-minute conference, then decided to go for replay on an obvious overturn. I don't get why they don't just go straight for the technology if they have it. Although in this case, I don't think there was any evidence good enough to overturn Dobbs' home run - too high and too angled.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marmel
The Sox have out beanballed the Yanks at about a 3-1 pace over the last few years.

Really? You have any evidence to back that up?

k0ruptr 06-13-2009 05:01 PM

so, I think something clicked in Jose Contreras' brain. in his last 14 innings hes allowed 2 hits and no runs. Maybe his forkball is just working again, whatever it is I hope he keeps it up

k0ruptr 06-13-2009 05:23 PM

dola, and still rolling. man he looks good

stevew 06-13-2009 05:30 PM

I've been impressed the couple times they've gone to replay. Takes just a few seconds once they decide.

Mizzou B-ball fan 06-14-2009 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 (Post 2048054)
I bet Kauffmann is SRO for this whole weekend Reds-Royals series coming up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sterlingice (Post 2048074)
I'm sure the Royals will get 40K- that's good right? ("for the entire series" "oh.")

SI

It appears the only no-shows thus far this weekend have been the Cincinnati Reds.

Friday:

Royals 4
Reds 1
Attendance: 33,000

Saturday:

Royals 7
Reds 4
Attendance: 29,500

I'm floored that anyone even bothers to question the loyalty of the Royals fan base anymore. The team has been terrible for years, but the fans still show up. We may be gluttons for punishment, but we support our lousy team better than some markets support a good team.

Ronnie Dobbs2 06-14-2009 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marmel (Post 2048872)
The Sox have out beanballed the Yanks at about a 3-1 pace over the last few years.

Red Sox hit 7 Yankees
Yankees hit 6 Red Sox

Red Sox hit 9 Yankees
Yankees hit 9 Red Sox

Red Sox hit 14 Yankees
Yankees hit 9 Red Sox

Red Sox hit 3 Yankees
Yankees hit 9 Red Sox

Pedro Martinez hasn't pitched for the Red Sox in quite some time.

edit: Having said that, I think it's plain to see that Penny's HPB was intentional, and was in response to the above 2009 stats. He hit him square in the back, it's not like he threw at his head multiple times.

sterlingice 06-14-2009 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan (Post 2049404)
It appears the only no-shows thus far this weekend have been the Cincinnati Reds.

Friday:

Royals 4
Reds 1
Attendance: 33,000

Saturday:

Royals 7
Reds 4
Attendance: 29,500

I'm floored that anyone even bothers to question the loyalty of the Royals fan base anymore. The team has been terrible for years, but the fans still show up. We may be gluttons for punishment, but we support our lousy team better than some markets support a good team.

Well, color me impressed by those numbers. After the recent swoon, I thought we had gotten into the part of the season where I was there with about 15K of my closest friends the last few years with the Greinke exception thrown in this year.

I do remember a couple of years ago that there was a study out which showed that even with the lower attendance, Kansas City had one of the highest per capita- top 5 level- of any team in the league. It's just that the city doesn't have as many people to draw from, which, again, is impressive considering the futility we've seen in the long term.

SI

JPhillips 06-14-2009 01:07 PM

Please. Half of those in attendance were just there to watch Dusty do something inexplicable.

Jas_lov 06-14-2009 01:49 PM

The Mets are pathetic. Johann went 3 and gave up 9. LOL! The 4th inning has been an absolute embarrassment. And there it goes from Robbie Cano! 11-0! Sabathia, Melky, Hughes > Santana

Ronnie Dobbs2 06-14-2009 01:55 PM

Oh shit I forgot that Sabathia was part of the trade.

Jas_lov 06-14-2009 01:57 PM

He wasn't, but they probably wouldn't have gotten Sabathia if they had Santana.

Ronnie Dobbs2 06-14-2009 01:58 PM

Oh, the Yankees would have discovered fiscal prudence if they made the trade? I'm not convinced.

DeToxRox 06-14-2009 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jas_lov (Post 2049591)
The Mets are pathetic. Johann went 3 and gave up 9. LOL! The 4th inning has been an absolute embarrassment. And there it goes from Robbie Cano! 11-0! Sabathia, Melky, Hughes > Santana

You are seriously Cliff Claven. Your logic never makes sense and I am pretty sure you don't ever leave your bubble. Santana has one bad start ZOMG! As opposed to most of Hughes starts he had which were terrible. How fucking stupid are you, really?

And I hate the Mets and happy to see them down 12-0 but you are an absolute moron.

DeToxRox 06-14-2009 02:10 PM

Has anyone else heard this?

Apparently some radio station in Cinncy is reporting Joey Votto is gay and that is why he has been out because he is having trouble dealing with it?

It makes such little sense it can't be legit but I've seen it mentioned a few times. A stupid joke perhaps?

Crapshoot 06-14-2009 02:14 PM

Votto's been out for stress-related issues for a couple of weeks now - I hope he's okay. And I hope in this day and age, no one gives a flying fuck about who he wants to sleep with.

DaddyTorgo 06-14-2009 02:21 PM

oh snap

the Phils are really bringing in Chan-ho Park?

DaddyTorgo 06-14-2009 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeToxRox (Post 2049604)
You are seriously Cliff Claven. Your logic never makes sense and I am pretty sure you don't ever leave your bubble. Santana has one bad start ZOMG! As opposed to most of Hughes starts he had which were terrible. How fucking stupid are you, really?

And I hate the Mets and happy to see them down 12-0 but you are an absolute moron.

:D

Mizzou B-ball fan 06-14-2009 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPhillips (Post 2049577)
Please. Half of those in attendance were just there to watch Dusty do something inexplicable.

I don't know if it was inexplicable or not, but I just watched him fire his baseball cap halfway down the dugout.

JS19 06-14-2009 02:54 PM

I'm starting to wonder if there may be something wrong, injury wise, with Johan. For about the past month he hasn't been "Santana like". Don't get me wrong, over that month he's pitched well above average, just not his usual dominant self, and he's velocity has been down. Wonder if he's a bit fatigued, or just going through a little slump. He did have that shoulder, or was it elbow, problem in the spring.