Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   FOFC Archive (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   2009 MLB Regular Season Thread (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=70981)

JonInMiddleGA 08-07-2009 01:16 AM

Ethier's third homer against the Braves in the past week, this time a 3 run shot giving the Dodgers a 5-4 walkoff win.

SackAttack 08-07-2009 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 2090287)
Ethier's third homer against the Braves in the past week, this time a 3 run shot giving the Dodgers a 5-4 walkoff win.

Ethier digs that Atlanta pitching. You guys need to go on a run and win that division away from Philly.

JonInMiddleGA 08-07-2009 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SackAttack (Post 2090290)
You guys need to go on a run and win that division away from Philly.

There's a better chance of pigs flying out of my ass than there is of that happening.

SackAttack 08-07-2009 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 2090297)
There's a better chance of pigs flying out of my ass than there is of that happening.

So are you promising to shit winged bacon if the Braves win the East?

lungs 08-07-2009 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 2090143)
In one form or another, retaliation has been around baseball longer than most of our posters have been alive. It's a far more standing part of the game than whining about it, which seems to be a relatively new phenomenon.

ON BASEBALL; Retaliation Was Once the Rule - New York Times

Just because something has been done forever doesn't mean it isn't fucking stupid.

Logan 08-07-2009 10:10 AM

God this link from Simmons, agree with him that it's a really fun read:

25 things you didn't know about baseball - MLB - Yahoo! Sports

BishopMVP 08-07-2009 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by henry296 (Post 2090228)
When will Wakefield be back for the Red Sox, that could be the end of Smoltz.

Wakefield had a setback, probably out until around September 1. Bowden is the likely candidate to replace Smoltz as he's pretty much lined up with Smoltz. Tazawa is also in AAA, but he's still learning things like how to pitch from a windup.

On the plus side, that was by far the worst pitching matchup of the series and Joba looks pretty bad.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy Mac (Post 2090225)
Yeah Pedroia, you're down 13-4 and the pitcher meant to hit you. I hate the Yanks, but the Sox and their fans are such douches

I love how Sox fans are now responsible for the actions of players on the field. (And ftr, I don't blame Pedroia for being mad considering the previous pitch went over his head. It's not like he charged the mound or -god forbid- the Sox retaliated in the next inning.)

molson 08-07-2009 03:48 PM

Smoltz has been DFA'd. Now perhaps he'll kick ass somewhere in the NL, like Lugo.

Not sure exactly how much this failed experiment cost the Sox - about $8 million?

DeToxRox 08-07-2009 03:53 PM

Jason Giambi was released also and someone claimed Alex Rios off Waivers. I wonder if a trade gets worked out for Toronto which would be a god send for them.

RomaGoth 08-07-2009 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by molson (Post 2090641)
Smoltz has been DFA'd. Now perhaps he'll kick ass somewhere in the NL, like Lugo.

Not sure exactly how much this failed experiment cost the Sox - about $8 million?

$5.5 million, actually. At 42, I would think his playing days are pretty much at an end.

molson 08-07-2009 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RomaGoth (Post 2090644)
$5.5 million, actually. At 42, I would think his playing days are pretty much at an end.

That was his base salary, but he also got incentives for every day he was on the roster. After looking it up, it looks like $125,000 for the first day, $35,000 every day after that, and then another $500k if he made it to the end of the season. So that's about $1.5 million plus the $5.5 base. It makes sense why they pulled the plug and weren't willing to let him hang around the bullpen.

RomaGoth 08-07-2009 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by molson (Post 2090647)
That was his base salary, but he also got incentives for every day he was on the roster. After looking it up, it looks like $125,000 for the first day, $35,000 every day after that, and then another $500k if he made it to the end of the season. So that's about $1.5 million plus the $5.5 base. It makes sense why they pulled the plug and weren't willing to let him hang around the bullpen.

Aah, didn't see the rest of it. Yeah, can see why they said goodbye to him.

Dr. Sak 08-07-2009 04:24 PM

Tonight before the Marlins game in Philadelphia, the Phillies will induct Harry Kalas onto the Phillies Wall of Fame.

Kalas to be inducted into Wall of Fame | phillies.com: News

BishopMVP 08-07-2009 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeToxRox (Post 2090643)
someone claimed Alex Rios off Waivers. I wonder if a trade gets worked out for Toronto which would be a god send for them.

That (any) team would be retarded to offer anything in a trade. He's still a decent player, but Toronto has to just let him go to be out from that contract (he is set to earn salaries of $9.7 million in 2010, $12 million in 2011, $12 million in 2012, $12.5 million in 2013, and $12.5 million in 2014). Shocking that any team even did that (watch it be the Red Sox) - absolute gift for the Blue Jays.

Remember 2 offseasons ago when SF was considering trading Lincecum or Matt Cain for Rios? Thank god that didn't happen.

stevew 08-07-2009 04:31 PM

I can't believe someone claimed Rios. Seriously a wtf moment.

Probably the Mets, cause they "like the amount of games he plays."

Young Drachma 08-07-2009 04:37 PM

Peace out, Rios. Hope JP doesn't manage to flub this one up...(who am I kidding, though?)

RomaGoth 08-07-2009 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BishopMVP (Post 2090653)
That (any) team would be retarded to offer anything in a trade. He's still a decent player, but Toronto has to just let him go to be out from that contract (he is set to earn salaries of $9.7 million in 2010, $12 million in 2011, $12 million in 2012, $12.5 million in 2013, and $12.5 million in 2014). Shocking that any team even did that (watch it be the Red Sox) - absolute gift for the Blue Jays.

Remember 2 offseasons ago when SF was considering trading Lincecum or Matt Cain for Rios? Thank god that didn't happen.

So does the team who picks him up off waivers assume the full salary? Not sure how this works even before the trade deadline.

Travis 08-07-2009 04:47 PM

Disappointing about Rios. The guy has all the physical tools and I really thought if anybody could get him going at the plate it would be Cito and his staff. Here's hoping the switch flips for him in the next couple years and he figures out how to fully utilize the talent at his disposal. Ah the days when he looked like he'd be the perfect fit in the 3 spot to compliment Wells in the cleanup spot.

sigh.

MikeVic 08-07-2009 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BishopMVP (Post 2090653)

Yes. :( I was hoping for Lincecum!!

Danny 08-07-2009 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travis (Post 2090667)
Ah the days when he looked like he'd be the perfect fit in the 3 spot to compliment Wells in the cleanup spot.
sigh.

At least he's still an ok fit in the 6th spot to compliment Wells in the 7th spot.

dawgfan 08-07-2009 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RomaGoth (Post 2090665)
So does the team who picks him up off waivers assume the full salary?

Yes.

BishopMVP 08-07-2009 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RomaGoth (Post 2090665)
So does the team who picks him up off waivers assume the full salary? Not sure how this works even before the trade deadline.

Full salary yes. In August there is "revocable" waivers where a team can trade with the (lowest ranked) claiming team, pull the player back or just allow him to go (almost never happens). If a player makes it through unclaimed they can then be traded to any team. If the player is claimed the first time and pulled back the team can try and stick him through again (on "irrevocable" waivers), but anyone claimed there automatically goes to the new team. So as long as Toronto isn't dumb, the new team will get Rios and his entire contract on Tuesday.

Good pitchers duel in Boston, aided by the RS being 3 for last 39 RISP and hacking all night and letting Burnett stay in thru 7 2/3 despite walking 6. David Ortiz also 0 for his last 18. We've already DFA'd one baseball legend today....

DaddyTorgo 08-07-2009 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BishopMVP (Post 2090759)
Full salary yes. In August there is "revocable" waivers where a team can trade with the (lowest ranked) claiming team, pull the player back or just allow him to go (almost never happens). If a player makes it through unclaimed they can then be traded to any team. If the player is claimed the first time and pulled back the team can try and stick him through again (on "irrevocable" waivers), but anyone claimed there automatically goes to the new team. So as long as Toronto isn't dumb, the new team will get Rios and his entire contract on Tuesday.

Good pitchers duel in Boston, aided by the RS being 3 for last 39 RISP and hacking all night and letting Burnett stay in thru 7 2/3 despite walking 6. David Ortiz also 0 for his last 18. We've already DFA'd one baseball legend today....

1 for his last 19

BishopMVP 08-07-2009 09:03 PM

Reverse jinx works and Ortiz singles! Then JD Drew lines out. Bottom 9.

Bad-example 08-07-2009 09:10 PM

Pulled this from USAToday regarding Monday's Giants-Dodgers game:

As a bonus, Dave Dravecky will be on hand Monday for the 20-year anniversary of his famed comeback game. He overcame cancer and beat the Reds 4-3 on Aug. 10, 1989. Then he won his next start, but it ended badly. He broke his arm and eventually had to have it amputated.

I was at that comeback game and it was amazing. Took a friend to his first baseball game that day. People were jumping out of their seats and cheering every strike Dravecky threw. Pete Rose got himself thrown out. I must say, it was a very good day.

Swaggs 08-07-2009 09:43 PM

As more and more teams deny claiming Rios, I have a sinking feeling about the Pirates claiming him. It would make no sense whatsoever, but neither did the Matt Morris trade.

samifan24 08-07-2009 10:20 PM

I can't believe a team claimed Alex Rios and his contract.

BishopMVP 08-07-2009 10:21 PM

Alfredo Aceves isn't this good.

BishopMVP 08-07-2009 10:32 PM

Yankees fans ooohing and booing on a pitch up and in when a HBP would have loaded the bases in a tied extra inning game. PING: Easy Mac.

larrymcg421 08-07-2009 10:41 PM

What kind of bullshit is this in the Braves game? Umpire calls a strike, and McCann throws out a runner at 2nd, but then the umpire changes it and says it's a walk.

MizzouRah 08-07-2009 10:45 PM

For some reason, I love that Madonna song, "Holiday" ;)

ThunderingHERD 08-07-2009 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larrymcg421 (Post 2090803)
What kind of bullshit is this in the Braves game? Umpire calls a strike, and McCann throws out a runner at 2nd, but then the umpire changes it and says it's a walk.

I turned the game off in frustration a few minutes ago and I still have no idea what went on there or what possible justification there could be for changing the call.

stevew 08-07-2009 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swaggs (Post 2090772)
As more and more teams deny claiming Rios, I have a sinking feeling about the Pirates claiming him. It would make no sense whatsoever, but neither did the Matt Morris trade.

Different regime. I know we were linked to him. Too much money but he would work in left. Hopefully not us though.

JonInMiddleGA 08-07-2009 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larrymcg421 (Post 2090803)

I'm gonna take a wild guess & figure that's when Bobby got tossed.
And according to the box score, Jurrjens was ejected after he had been relieved?

DeToxRox 08-07-2009 11:44 PM

Just to be that guy:

It's an A-Bomb for AAA-RODDD

SackAttack 08-07-2009 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThunderingHERD (Post 2090810)
I turned the game off in frustration a few minutes ago and I still have no idea what went on there or what possible justification there could be for changing the call.

I wasn't aware a balls-and-strikes call COULD be changed except on a swing appeal.

DeToxRox 08-07-2009 11:49 PM

As far as Rios goes, I wouldn't be shocked if the Tigs put a claim on. He'd be perfect here sans the contract, he is what we need. I wonder if they'd take Magglio back and some other stuff and they can just cut Maggs before he hits his options.

Dreaming on my part.

DeToxRox 08-07-2009 11:50 PM

Dola hat trick: MLBTR is saying it looks like it's the White Sox who claimed Rios. Interesting.

SackAttack 08-07-2009 11:51 PM

I'd be shocked if the Jays don't just pull a Padres and say "Great, you can have him!"

Jas_lov 08-07-2009 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeToxRox (Post 2090822)
Just to be that guy:

What an incredible game that was. Big win in the series for the Yankees and they have a good advantage tomorrow with Sabathia vs. Bucholz the day after both bullpens were used up in a 15 inning game.

larrymcg421 08-07-2009 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 2090821)
I'm gonna take a wild guess & figure that's when Bobby got tossed.
And according to the box score, Jurrjens was ejected after he had been relieved?

Yep, that's when Bobby got tossed. If Jurrjens did get tossed (I missed it), then it was after he was relieved.

ISiddiqui 08-08-2009 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeToxRox (Post 2090822)
Just to be that guy:

I hate it that A-Rod hits all his homers in non-clutch situations ;)

BishopMVP 08-08-2009 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jas_lov (Post 2090830)
What an incredible game that was. Big win in the series for the Yankees and they have a good advantage tomorrow with Sabathia vs. Bucholz the day after both bullpens were used up in a 15 inning game.

Ehhh... it was close but I don't know if I'd call it incredible. The Red Sox were just horribly inept on offense and the Yankees weren't much better. Other than JD Drew's catch there really weren't many good plays.

Bullpen wise I don't even know at this point either. I guess we send down Tazawa and recall Doubront maybe? or a Hunter Jones? There's absolutely no way they can pull Buchholz before 6 no matter how bad he's doing.

And I was planning to go to bed early for an 8am playoff soccer game tomorrow. Sooooo depressing haha.

BishopMVP 08-08-2009 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ISiddiqui (Post 2090834)
I hate it that A-Rod hits all his homers in non-clutch situations ;)

A-Rod can't hit in the clutch just like Tony Romo can't play in the playoffs. :)

larrymcg421 08-08-2009 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SackAttack (Post 2090825)
I wasn't aware a balls-and-strikes call COULD be changed except on a swing appeal.

It seems like the umpire was claiming that he said "ball", but accidentally motioned strike. If so, he made two mistakes, because that was clearly a strike.

ISiddiqui 08-08-2009 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BishopMVP (Post 2090837)
A-Rod can't hit in the clutch just like Tony Romo can't play in the playoffs. :)

So are you claiming that Tony Romo can play in the playoffs ;).

Otherwise that statement makes no sense. :p

SackAttack 08-08-2009 12:22 AM

Sigh. I hope whoever that asshole is who ran onto the field on a 1-2 count, he "trips" and "falls" down a staircase or two.

Asshole.

stevew 08-08-2009 12:25 AM

Like I said a few weeks ago. Once the starters are gone, pitchers duels are over and you're just seeing inept offense.

larrymcg421 08-08-2009 12:41 AM

Braves managed a comeback and we're now in extra innings in LA.

cartman 08-08-2009 12:58 AM

Rangers beat the Angels 11-6 in Anaheim to pull within 3 1/2 of the division lead, and 1 behind the Red Sox in the wild card.

larrymcg421 08-08-2009 01:22 AM

3 run HR from Ryan Church! Braves up 9-5 in the 13th.

What a great comeback. They really need this one.

SackAttack 08-08-2009 01:25 AM

I'm still pissed at that asshole who ran on the field. Doubly pissed now, actually.

Swaggs 08-08-2009 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SackAttack (Post 2090829)
I'd be shocked if the Jays don't just pull a Padres and say "Great, you can have him!"

I think they might ask for something in return but, in the end, they will surrender him just to shed the terrible contract. Maybe they'll get a scrub or two back, just to make it look like they didn't give him away for free (to the common fans, at least).

Izulde 08-08-2009 06:19 PM

Talk about a crazy opening half-inning. Torres gets an out, then walks 3 straight batters to load the bases (including something like 10 straight balls) and finds enough control to strike out 2 to escape the jam.

ISiddiqui 08-08-2009 06:57 PM

WOW! Yankees win AGAIN over the BoSox. After not being able to beat them before this series, that's 3 in a row and opening up a lead of 5.5 in the standings . The Yankees are REALLY on a roll, winning 6 straight and before this game, 21 of their last 30. And now Tampa is 2 games back of Boston.

Big Fo 08-08-2009 11:29 PM

Great work by Kawakami after some walks and a real bitch move by Escobar on an attempted steal by the Dodgers.

DaddyTorgo 08-08-2009 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ISiddiqui (Post 2091075)
WOW! Yankees win AGAIN over the BoSox. After not being able to beat them before this series, that's 3 in a row and opening up a lead of 5.5 in the standings . The Yankees are REALLY on a roll, winning 6 straight and before this game, 21 of their last 30. And now Tampa is 2 games back of Boston.

Sox don't have what it takes this year to get anywhere. Be shocked to see them get the wild card at this point TBH.

Questionable rotation after Beckett and Lester, and they're (not) hitting like a bunch of little leaguers. Too much age in the lineup and way too many easy outs.

Chief Rum 08-09-2009 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo (Post 2091156)
Sox don't have what it takes this year to get anywhere. Be shocked to see them get the wild card at this point TBH.

Questionable rotation after Beckett and Lester, and they're (not) hitting like a bunch of little leaguers. Too much age in the lineup and way too many easy outs.

I'll believe it when I see it (although two things I definitely see what you're looking at and agree with, and that's that the Red Sox are shockingly poor in the rotation in comparison to years past, and that the Rangers--with some legit pitching for once--actually do have a chance of catching the BoSox).

Been a weird year. Take my Angels for instance. Traditionally pitching strong and weak offensively. This year, they're #1 or #2 in many key offensive categories in the AL--and the pitching is easily the worst it has been in the past decade.

BishopMVP 08-09-2009 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ISiddiqui (Post 2090840)
So are you claiming that Tony Romo can play in the playoffs ;).

Otherwise that statement makes no sense. :p

Yes.

That statement made no sense.

Can we just play Baltimore again already? I liked the illusion that we had Major League hitters on our team.

BishopMVP 08-09-2009 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Rum (Post 2091175)
I'll believe it when I see it (although two things I definitely see what you're looking at and agree with, and that's that the Red Sox are shockingly poor in the rotation in comparison to years past, and that the Rangers--with some legit pitching for once--actually do have a chance of catching the BoSox).

I don't think the rotation is worse than years past (and better than 05/06) - it just looks exacerbated this past week because we're seemingly cycling through every AAAA filler pitcher for long relief and our 5th starter spot is where all the drama comes from. Beckett and Lester (post-May - both have ERA's of ~2.00 since) are easily our best 1-2 combination since 2004. Tim Wakefield is the same Tim Wakefield - seriously his ERA+ has been between 100 and 114 for the past 7 seasons and he's on the DL again in August like clockwork. Brad Penny isn't exciting anyone, but Julian Tavarez started 23 games 2 seasons ago. Buchholz is scuffling, but he started 15 games last year and did worse then. In addition we had 7 other guys start last year in an attempt to find that last starter, guys like Paul Byrd (who we just re-signed apparently), Bartolo Colon (who actually disappeared with 2 months left), David Pauley, Charlie Zink. Check back in a month when we meet the Angels and our rotation will probably look as formidable as ever. It's definitely the 3/4 combination that they're missing. Youk has replaced Ortiz but trading Manny is still killing us - we have 5 #5/6 hitters but no true star who can overcome the rest of the teams ineptitude on nights like the last 2 and kickstart the offense.

JonInMiddleGA 08-09-2009 06:22 PM

I'll say this much for Javier Vazquez, he's as advertised, a definite innings eater. He's thrown at least 98 pitches in all but two starts this season.

larrymcg421 08-09-2009 06:54 PM

Great finish to the series for the Braves. They take 3 of 4 from the Dodgers after a crushing defeat in game 1.

Chief Rum 08-09-2009 07:30 PM

Just got back from that game. Vazquez looked very good.

ISiddiqui 08-09-2009 09:22 PM

Wow! Bottom of the 7th, 0-0 between Yanks and Sox and A-Rod goes deep to break a scoreless tie again. A towering shot!

Atocep 08-09-2009 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ISiddiqui (Post 2091435)
Wow! Bottom of the 7th, 0-0 between Yanks and Sox and A-Rod goes deep to break a scoreless tie again. A towering shot!

Real men wait until the 9th.

ISiddiqui 08-09-2009 09:40 PM

And Martinez comes back with a 2 run blast! :eek:

ISiddiqui 08-09-2009 09:50 PM

And Damon comes right back and slams a HR to tie it up at 2!

ISiddiqui 08-09-2009 09:51 PM

HOLY SHIT! Teixiera with a back-to-back off of Bard and now it's 3-2 Yanks! :eek:

Jas_lov 08-09-2009 09:51 PM

And Tex gives the Yanks the lead. What a game. Mo in the 9th for the sweep!

SirFozzie 08-09-2009 09:52 PM

hate world. Revenge soon.

BishopMVP 08-09-2009 10:48 PM

If I had any energy I would go Fozzie on a tree at this point. Has there ever been a flyout to right in that new stadium?

Bitter Jets Fan 08-09-2009 11:01 PM

REDSOX SUCK!
REDSOX SUCK!
REDSOX SUCK!
REDSOX SUCK!

DeToxRox 08-09-2009 11:58 PM

It's okay, Sox will sweep the Tigs. We can't win in Fenway.

Jon 08-10-2009 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BishopMVP (Post 2091458)
If I had any energy I would go Fozzie on a tree at this point. Has there ever been a flyout to right in that new stadium?

Yesterday, the Red Sox had 8 of them.

DanGarion 08-10-2009 11:15 AM

Prince Fielder's hissy fit in the hallway to the Dodgers clubhouse...

sterlingice 08-10-2009 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrDNA (Post 2089546)
J.A. Happ pitches a real beaut for the mini-slumping Phils: 9.0ip 4h 0r 2bb 10k

Please, no bullpen for this young man!

I've been really impressed with him the times I've seen him. Pounds the strikes zone and has good stuff. I need to watch some more before making this statement definitive, but he's one of the best young pitchers I've seen in a long time.

SI

BishopMVP 08-10-2009 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon (Post 2091514)
Yesterday, the Red Sox had 8 of them.

Those were all pop-ups. Cano should have had them :)

Date Video Path Hitter Hitter
Team
Pitcher Pitcher
Team
INN Ballpark Type/
Luck
True
Dist.
Speed
Off
Bat
Elev.
Angle
Horiz.
Angle
Apex Impact Due To: Std.
Dist.
#
Parks
Wind Temp. Alt.

08/09/09 Video View Teixeira, Mark NYY Bard, Daniel BOS 8 New Yankee S... PL 357 99.5 42.3 61.4 144 37 2 0 317 0

sterlingice 08-10-2009 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cartman (Post 2090858)
Rangers beat the Angels 11-6 in Anaheim to pull within 3 1/2 of the division lead, and 1 behind the Red Sox in the wild card.

Go Rangers :)

They don't look like they have enough but it would be cool if they did

SI

Mizzou B-ball fan 08-10-2009 12:47 PM

Good to see the Royals making a run at the #1 draft pick. Only 3 1/2 back of the Nationals now. At least they got a win for Greinke.

sterlingice 08-10-2009 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EagleFan (Post 2090222)

Lots of gold in this one:

Quote:

Ricciardi shrugged and added, "Roy's my uncle's name. And whenever we needed a face, like for his baseball card, we just used a picture of our UPS guy."

Quote:

"Those first couple of years you can't really control [playing in Toronto], but then you demand a trade and get out of there," ex–Blue Jay Orlando Hudson said.

When asked if he remembered playing with a Roy Halladay, Hudson said, "I don't remember any of my Blue Jay teammates."

Quote:

"Baseball is built on little deceptions: the curveball, the hidden-ball trick, the existence of Stan Musial. And we're not the only team who bends the truth. The Padres played 212 games last year just to make a little extra money. Just slid by and no one noticed. Milwaukee doesn't even have a third base."

And my personal favorite

Quote:

Manager Cito Gaston admitted to being nervous when Halladay was selected to start the 2009 All-Star Game. "We sent [starting pitcher] Brian [Tallet] over to St. Louis in a specially made-up Halladay jersey. We thought for sure someone would notice at that point. But hey, who recognizes Brian Tallet?"

SI

sterlingice 08-10-2009 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan (Post 2091708)
Good to see the Royals making a run at the #1 draft pick. Only 3 1/2 back of the Nationals now. At least they got a win for Greinke.

We were at that game (Greinke) over the weekend. My wife won the designated driver contest :)

SI

Mizzou B-ball fan 08-10-2009 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sterlingice (Post 2091715)
We were at that game (Greinke) over the weekend. My wife won the designated driver contest :)

SI

How'd you like the stadium? Fantastic, no?

sterlingice 08-10-2009 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan (Post 2091716)
How'd you like the stadium? Fantastic, no?

I'll have a little writeup when I get a chance- actually, I think I should do that for all 5 stadiums I've been to in the last month.

We got there early and got to see the HOF- definite plus. And the stadium looks completely different- the outside has the 'fishbowl' look of the Sprint center for some reason but the inside looks completely new, like a whole new stadium but not really.

SI

Mizzou B-ball fan 08-10-2009 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sterlingice (Post 2091724)
I'll have a little writeup when I get a chance- actually, I think I should do that for all 5 stadiums I've been to in the last month.

We got there early and got to see the HOF- definite plus. And the stadium looks completely different- the outside has the 'fishbowl' look of the Sprint center for some reason but the inside looks completely new, like a whole new stadium but not really.

SI

I haven't actually been out to see the HOF since it opened up. We have a family friend (Larry Gura) that is in there, so I need to get out there and see his new display.

DeToxRox 08-10-2009 05:54 PM

White Sox got Rios. No trade, just a straight claim so they'll eat the entire salary.

Danny 08-10-2009 06:46 PM

Good that Toronto got that mistake of a contract corrected. But I don't hate this move for the white sox. Rios is still decent and has some upside. Plus they are in a different situation than Toronto, so for them I think it is a fine move as well.

k0ruptr 08-10-2009 06:56 PM

Apparently Reinsdorf is deciding now its ok to spend all his damn money, with all the Phoenix deals, and now spending 100 mil + on Rios and Peavy.

I'm really fucking questioning Kenny Williams brain right now. But I hope it works out.

k0ruptr 08-10-2009 06:57 PM

Dola, but you know what, If he doesnt care about spending the money? why not take a flyer on this kid, maybe he will show some promise still. No one wants to play in Toronto.

dawgfan 08-10-2009 07:12 PM

The thing is, the Rios of the previous couple of years is well worth the money he has left on his contract. It's just a question of whether his decline this year is an aberration or the start of a trend. The main difference in his batting this year is a drop in his BABIP and a drop in his line drive pct, which are probably related.

Izulde 08-10-2009 07:58 PM

*looks at 2005, Alexei Ramirez and Carlos Quentin*

Yeah, despite the whole Frank Thomas fiasco, I'd say KW's earned the benefit of the doubt.

Not that I see us winning the Series again this year or anything, but here's to hoping we win the Central. :)

Izulde 08-10-2009 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeToxRox (Post 2091473)
It's okay, Sox will sweep the Tigs. We can't win in Fenway.

Please let this happen. :D

MikeVic 08-10-2009 08:07 PM

I don't know, I still liked Rios. Just dump everyone JP, you should've been gone last year.

k0ruptr 08-10-2009 08:23 PM

The more I'm thinking about it the more I like it.

Young Drachma 08-10-2009 08:59 PM

With that contract, I was fine with Rios being gone, but not at the price of getting absolutely nothing for him. Keeping him probably wouldn't work either, though. So I'm not sure. I think this was a call your bluff situation and his bluff got called and he realized he had to let the kid go.

But no way he did it intentionally.

I'm so sick of JP. But this season's suckage should solidify that he'll be gone for good. Finally.

Crapshoot 08-10-2009 10:11 PM

Good guys vs. the Bums on right now.

Hey JIMGA, Can I join the lynch Bill Hohn club? The SOB just called a guy who was safe by a yard out because... well, I don't know why. Jon Miller is calling it a "not very good call by major league standards", and he is basically the nicest guy in the world.

Crapshoot 08-10-2009 10:59 PM

Bill Hohn is a fucking awful umpire. Two straight fucking blown calls.

samifan24 08-10-2009 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crapshoot (Post 2092212)
Bill Hohn is a fucking awful umpire. Two straight fucking blown calls.

Were the Braves playing? :D

samifan24 08-10-2009 11:20 PM

Troy Tulowitzki hit for the cycle and went 5-for-5 with 7 RBI tonight. He's a stud.

SackAttack 08-10-2009 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crapshoot (Post 2092164)
Good guys vs. the Midgets on right now.

Fixed. ;)

JonInMiddleGA 08-11-2009 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crapshoot (Post 2092164)
Hey JIMGA, Can I join the lynch Bill Hohn club?

Welcome aboard, still good seats available although it does seem to be filling up faster & faster.