Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Ongoing pro/college basketball thread (2023-24) (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=98989)

JonInMiddleGA 03-18-2024 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainMaker (Post 3428897)
Speaking of the SEC, has there been any word about that Florida player? Just saw the aftermath and that looked like a bad one.

from one of the si dot com UF fan sites

Quote:

Gators center Micah Handlogten is expected to undergo surgery later Sunday at Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville, Tenn., according to Florida head coach Todd Golden, after suffering a lower left leg fracture against Auburn in the 2023-24 SEC Championship.

Handlogten posted an update to X, the social media app formerly known as Twitter, after the game, thanking fans for their good wishes after he left the matchup, seemingly remaining in high spirits.

RainMaker 03-18-2024 01:56 AM

Well that's positive news I guess considering the leg break was obvious. Saw the blood and think that might have been a compound fracture which is the one injury that makes my blood curl.

JonInMiddleGA 03-18-2024 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainMaker (Post 3428899)
Well that's positive news I guess considering the leg break was obvious. Saw the blood and think that might have been a compound fracture which is the one injury that makes my blood curl.

NGL, I didn't see it live and I actively avoided anything that might lead to me seeing it.

I'm not ... overly squeamish IMO, I simply don't feel any need to see that sort of injury (I had assumed compound fracture due to the blood references as well) when I don't have to

stevew 03-18-2024 02:36 AM

Has anyone gone to the NCAA tournament and was it fun? I can probably do the early session in Pitts on Thurs. although it’s Akron at Creighton and Oregon at South Carolina. Definitely don’t know any players participating.

miami_fan 03-18-2024 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 3428690)
I saw something today that referenced how "the top two 'major conference" NET-rated teams that didn't make the NCAA tournament now get auto-bids to the NIT"

When did that become a thing?

Last I knew was something like "regular season champion that loses conference tournament gets auto-bid"

Somebody posted this info earlier in this thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 3416189)
No NIT automatic bids for regular-season conference champs - ESPN

Instead, the NIT will guarantee two teams -- based on the NET rankings -- from each of major six conferences, the Atlantic Coast, the Big East, the Big Ten, the Big 12, the Pac-12 and the Southeastern.

The top two teams in the NET rankings not qualifying for the NCAA tournament from each conference, regardless of win-loss record, will be selected. Additionally, the 12 teams automatically selected will be guaranteed the opportunity to host a game in the first round of the NIT.

;)

molson 03-18-2024 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevew (Post 3428902)
Has anyone gone to the NCAA tournament and was it fun? I can probably do the early session in Pitts on Thurs. although it’s Akron at Creighton and Oregon at South Carolina. Definitely don’t know any players participating.

I went in Vegas last year, and in Syracuse years ago. I thought it really fun. I couldn't name a college basketball player. College basketball games are a lot shorter and fast-paced than other sports, the crowds of people representing each school is fun to see, you may possibly see a future-famous moment play out, you can look back in 20 years and realize, "hey, I saw modern NBA superstar X at the NCAA tournament back when the NCAA was a thing".

Atocep 03-18-2024 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevew (Post 3428902)

I went to the Phil Knight classic last year with my son. Obviously not the NCAAs, but a very similar setup. We had a blast. We watched Purdue, UNC, WVU, Iowa State and others play. I'd do it again without hesitation.

miami_fan 03-18-2024 10:25 AM

It really took three quarters of the NBA season for this to happen?! I would have thought that people would have gone through all the names on different roster to make sure the appropriate jersey swaps took place.

The Magic posted (and deleted) a suggestive Gradey Dick jersey photo

I definitely want to know how the social media person was told to take that tweet down and who said it. :lol:

sovereignstar v2 03-18-2024 10:09 PM

Scary to think what Anthony Edwards will be in another few years

stevew 03-18-2024 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 (Post 3429005)
Scary to think what Anthony Edwards will be in another few years

Member of the Lakers?

sovereignstar v2 03-19-2024 08:08 AM

Ksyrup 03-19-2024 07:32 PM

I guess Kansas sure learned a lesson from FSU getting fucked in the CFP. Sunday, Kansas reported a fully healthy team and got a 4 seed. Today, one of their best players is out for the rest of the season. Curious timing...

JonInMiddleGA 03-19-2024 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 3429086)
I guess Kansas sure learned a lesson from FSU getting fucked in the CFP. Sunday, Kansas reported a fully healthy team and got a 4 seed. Today, one of their best players is out for the rest of the season. Curious timing...

Wellllll ... he'd just missed the conference tournament and had missed half the games down the stretch prior, so it's not like anyone didn't know there could be problems.

Hell, I knew enough about the KU injury situation that it was one of two reasons I was holding up on finishing my bracket until things were more clear. And I've barely paid attention

Ksyrup 03-19-2024 08:43 PM

Well, I saw something where both Self and one of their players said they'd be getting both guys back full strength on Monday (referring also to Dickinson). He seemed much more confident before Selection Sunday than after the seeding was done. Funny.

Atocep 03-19-2024 09:16 PM

The selection committee should be forced to watch this game on repeat.

JonInMiddleGA 03-19-2024 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atocep (Post 3429102)
The selection committee should be forced to watch this game on repeat.

But there are idiots who want to expand the tournament.

My God, there's barely 20-30 teams that are particularly good as it is. And the number & quality are just going to keep getting worse and worse.

Ghost Econ 03-20-2024 09:41 AM

UVa baseball scored 15 runs last night.
UVa basketball made 14 FG last night.

Ksyrup 03-20-2024 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 3429103)
But there are idiots who want to expand the tournament.

My God, there's barely 20-30 teams that are particularly good as it is. And the number & quality are just going to keep getting worse and worse.

I even saw something along the lines of what the P5/4/2 (?) want to do with CFB which is restrict the tournament to just teams from the big conferences. So basically, you'd have a bunch of NIT-like games mixed in with games between the better teams, a lot of whom would have already played the teams in the tournament (either in conference, or as part of some challenge, or just because they happened to be on the schedule that year).

AND they'd be eliminating the entire "Cinderella" storyline from the tournament. Like, are we supposed to buy a 14-18 GT as a "Cinderella" just because they sucked all year but made a run in the tournament? Pure stupidity.

Swaggs 03-20-2024 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 3429131)
I even saw something along the lines of what the P5/4/2 (?) want to do with CFB which is restrict the tournament to just teams from the big conferences. So basically, you'd have a bunch of NIT-like games mixed in with games between the better teams, a lot of whom would have already played the teams in the tournament (either in conference, or as part of some challenge, or just because they happened to be on the schedule that year).

AND they'd be eliminating the entire "Cinderella" storyline from the tournament. Like, are we supposed to buy a 14-18 GT as a "Cinderella" just because they sucked all year but made a run in the tournament? Pure stupidity.

The Cinderella element is so huge. I'm 1000x more likely to tune in and watch a one-bid league champ try to knock off Kansas or Kentucky than I am if they are playing a low seeded P5 like Boston College or Oregon State.

Ksyrup 03-20-2024 11:09 AM

Exactly. And it's even more important for casual fans who would seem to be more likely to tune into that kind of game (say, a 2/11 match-up in Round 2) than the typical 4/5 match-up.

jcard 03-21-2024 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 3429135)
Exactly. And it's even more important for casual fans who would seem to be more likely to tune into that kind of game (say, a 2/11 match-up in Round 2) than the typical 4/5 match-up.

Presume you mean a 2/10 (or maybe 3/11) matchup? 2/11 would be a REAL surprise!

Ksyrup 03-21-2024 06:47 AM

I knew I should have checked my math!

I know I'm in the extreme minority, but I hate filling out brackets. The older I get, the less I care who wins. I just like to watch. Which is why I generally don't enjoy watching games involving teams I have a rooting interest in.

stevew 03-21-2024 07:15 AM

I picked up a guy at the airport who was in town to see his friend play for Oakland. Check out this statistical oddity guy.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...05/jack-gohlke

Check out that guys stats, he only shoots 3s. Anyways, I’m going to put a few bucks on Oakland tonight. Was going to parlay that with made 3s but apparently we can’t do player props on college here.

jcard 03-21-2024 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 3429195)
I knew I should have checked my math!

I know I'm in the extreme minority, but I hate filling out brackets. The older I get, the less I care who wins. I just like to watch. Which is why I generally don't enjoy watching games involving teams I have a rooting interest in.

I thought that maybe you knew something the rest of us did not about round-by-round re-seeding! I was worried that printing out a bracket was going to require an investment in a 3-D printer!

Also—I appreciate you taking my first message in the completely amicable spirit in which it was intended.

Ksyrup 03-21-2024 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevew (Post 3429199)
I picked up a guy at the airport who was in town to see his friend play for Oakland. Check out this statistical oddity guy.

Check out that guys stats, he only shoots 3s. Anyways, I’m going to put a few bucks on Oakland tonight. Was going to parlay that with made 3s but apparently we can’t do player props on college here.

I didn't have the guts to pick a UK upset, but Oakland put up some big numbers in a couple games and shoot 3s well. It very well could happen. UK gives up like 90 points a game in losses. Their D sucks.

sovereignstar v2 03-21-2024 09:43 AM

I haven't filled out a bracket in 20 years. Kind of ruins the experience for me as I'd rather just cheer on who I want, usually the underdogs

NobodyHere 03-21-2024 09:56 AM

I play a game where you get assigned random teams and you win money when they win. It lets me root for teams I might not root for otherwise. And I know nothing about college basketball so I feel at a disadvantage when filling out brackets.

Ghost Econ 03-21-2024 12:55 PM

Why is it so hard to have a multi view in the Max app? Why do I have to download a separate NCAA app?

Lathum 03-21-2024 01:02 PM

Looks like I will be out of the Buffett bracket after the first game.

sovereignstar v2 03-21-2024 02:05 PM

It's really hard to believe there are people that think automatic bids should be looked at, but sure enough dinosaurs like Rick Pitino and Tom Izzo are on board. Please retire and go away

JonInMiddleGA 03-21-2024 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 (Post 3429225)
It's really hard to believe there are people that think automatic bids should be looked at, but sure enough dinosaurs like Rick Pitino and Tom Izzo are on board. Please retire and go away

Pare off about 100-150 teams from the comically bloated "D1" and maybe that wouldn't be needed.

But with the silliness that has come with adding anything & everything to the top tier, it's a valid idea that's probably overdue.

Kodos 03-21-2024 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 (Post 3429204)
I haven't filled out a bracket in 20 years. Kind of ruins the experience for me as I'd rather just cheer on who I want, usually the underdogs

Agreed. Also a factor in me quitting fantasy football. Didn't like having to root for guys I don't like, or being disappointed that the wrong player scored for my team.

JonInMiddleGA 03-21-2024 02:48 PM

At this point I do a bracket purely out of ... call it a combination of habit/nostalgia.

I simply don't find myself caring much anymore. College sports is pretty much ruined to me in terms of being able to have a real rooting interest anymore aside from painfully rare circumstances. It's just like most of the other pro sports, I end up hoping the winners are whichever team I dislike the least.

Hardly any are really likable at this point.

Lathum 03-21-2024 05:55 PM

Hell of a comeback by Dayton, but man, up 3 with 6 fouls they have to foul at the end and not give 2 looks from behind the line.

sovereignstar v2 03-21-2024 07:48 PM

Oakland looking good in postseason

Ksyrup 03-21-2024 07:48 PM

I'm hardly ever right, but I saw this game coming for UK a mile away. That might win, but this is exactly what I expected looking at this matchup.

Kodos 03-21-2024 08:06 PM

Go Oakland!

stevew 03-21-2024 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevew (Post 3429199)

10-19 from 3

stevew 03-21-2024 08:18 PM

Oakland went down to +575 when I was going to get them so I ended up passing.

sovereignstar v2 03-21-2024 08:27 PM

These damn auto qualifiers. Give me St. Johns!

miami_fan 03-21-2024 08:29 PM

Kentucky has to depend on an OOB play drawn up by John Calipari?

bronconick 03-21-2024 08:41 PM

If you want to go to the NCAA tourney for cheap, a whole lot of folks wearing blue are currently dumping their tickets for Saturday in Pittsburgh

molson 03-21-2024 08:42 PM

I learned 5 minutes ago that this Oakland is in Michigan, but that was still cool.

Ksyrup 03-21-2024 08:45 PM

Cal owned the one-and-done recruiting style, now he owns one-and-done tournament style.

Ksyrup 03-21-2024 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by molson (Post 3429266)
I learned 5 minutes ago that this Oakland is in Michigan, but that was still cool.

Yeah, I have semi-good memories of Oakland. Caitlin won her last college SB game pitching there, I have family all around the area that got to watch her that weekend. Then they overused her the next day in a DH knowing she needed surgery at the end of the year, and after that weekend, she was never the same and limped (literally) to a shitty end to her career over the following 5-6 weeks.

And oddly enough, that DH was 3 years ago yesterday.

Atocep 03-21-2024 09:14 PM

My bracket is already awful, but Oakland over Kentucky was an easy call.

A guy like Gohlke can get on a heater. I don't trust freshmen backcourts in March and, overall, I didn't think this Kentucky team was that good. Tre Mitchell is soft was warm butter.

RainMaker 03-22-2024 12:12 AM

Shame how the Kansas - Samford game ended. That was an incredible block and the best play of the tournament.

bob 03-22-2024 06:16 AM

I had flashbacks from high school watching that play. I wasn't huge, but big enough for south georgia basketball (6'5"). I'd probably get 2 - 3 foul called on me a game that were nothing but the refs anticipating a foul but no contact occurred.

Ksyrup 03-22-2024 07:09 AM

Funny reading all of the Calipari buyout stuff. $33M is a huge number for an SEC school that's not a FB powerhouse. Add in a buyout for whoever they hire plus the next huge contract and they're probably looking at upwards of $50M+ for the next coach.

Lathum 03-22-2024 08:22 AM

Totally agree with Few on this one. Everyone has a smartphone, if you are that interested watch it there.

Few unhappy with Oakland-UK on big screens during Zags' game - ESPN