Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   FOFC Archive (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   NFL Head Coach 09 (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=64049)

Eaglesfan27 08-05-2008 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Fo (Post 1801409)
Yeah, it would be hard for that not to affect the way you manage your roster in the last couple seasons.

I just found out that the CE also comes with the Genesis version of Madden 93, but does anyone know if the rosters are the guys from 1993 or the ones from today?

From what I read, it is gameplay from 93 but it has current rosters.

Balldog 08-06-2008 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MizzouRah (Post 1801235)
My neighbor just told me I could play HC all I wanted to when he picked up the CE edition of Madden next week, HUHHAH!!!

I took my vacation two weeks too late. :banghead:

I'm not thrilled that I am out of town pretty much all next week.

MizzouRah 08-06-2008 07:45 PM

Josh from EA is saying they will have a roster update on release day and I believe they were putting Farve on those rosters as well.

SirFozzie 08-06-2008 08:11 PM

From Bill Harris's site (Dubiousquality.blogspot.com, this is from a NFL Head Coach Designer on the game's FA/Draft engine work

1. Essentially, the CPU will assign a value to all available players and compare them against one another. "Player value" is a third type of rating we use in addition to the raw Madden player abilities and system-dependent player grades.

Player value takes everything into account you could possibly imagine.

First, it scales each player's grade based on his position. For example, a 99 overall QB is much more valuable than a 99 overall kicker.

Second, it scales players with the same position relative to each other in a non-linear way. For example, a 60 overall QB is not 60% as valuable as a 99 QB (in fact, a 60 QB is basically worthless). So the value mapping is actually a curve, and when you look at your Team Roadmap you'll see a huge dropoff in value from the top-tier players to the lower-tier guys.

After that, a ton of other things are factored in to tweak the value such as projected cap hit, playbook knowledge, etc.

Once the team has evaluated every single player, they need to decide who will add the most value to their team. "Added value" is the secret sauce that drives almost all of the logic in this game.As an example, let's say you're the Colts and Tom Brady is on the FA auction block. Do you acquire him? No, because although Brady has a high value, he has essentially zero *added value* to your team. Your money is much better spent somewhere else.

The trick is that added value encapsulates both value *and* need, so teams will always go after the guy who is the best available relative to their current needs.

During the draft, the player who fits this description might not be expected to go for several picks, and this is when the CPU will trade down.

2. The CPU will go after a player in proportion to how much value he adds to their team. As per above, teams with more need will be willing to pay more.

Also, each team has a philosophy as to how it spends its money. Some teams will go all out for their top need, while other teams will try to distribute their money among all of their needs.

MizzouRah 08-06-2008 09:03 PM

NFL Head Coach 09 Q&A | pastapadre.com

Q/A with HC's game designer..

CANNOT WAIT UNTIL NEXT TUESDAY!!!

rowech 08-06-2008 09:59 PM

I'm all but sold on this one now.

BrianD 08-06-2008 10:05 PM

With all of the good games that exist, is it sad that this game might push me to buy a 360?

Ironhead 08-06-2008 10:06 PM

What challenge are folks going to take first? I am going to take over the Falcons in the offseason and redo the draft. Bye bye Matt Ryan. Time to focus on the area this team has sucked for eons - in the trenches.

Dammit we will see back to back winning seasons! :banghead:

rowech 08-06-2008 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironhead (Post 1802960)
What challenge are folks going to take first? I am going to take over the Falcons in the offseason and redo the draft. Bye bye Matt Ryan. Time to focus on the area this team has sucked for eons - in the trenches.

Takeover the Bengals and attempt to keep them out of jail.

SFL Cat 08-06-2008 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rowech (Post 1802987)
Takeover the Bengals and attempt to keep them out of jail.

If that happens, I'm calling it in as a bug. :lol:

Terps 08-07-2008 01:31 AM

I traded in NCAA (got $45 for that) and 2 other old games tonight and put it toward the Madden CE so I could get Head Coach. I figure I can sell Madden even if it's the disc only.

Balldog 08-07-2008 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironhead (Post 1802960)

Lions, I'm undecided on redoing the draft or keeping everything where its at.

Mota 08-07-2008 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flasch186 (Post 1801329)
Im still pissed about the 15 season cap though, kills seasons 10-15 IMO unless you want to see what the team you put together in years 1-9 can do

From reading Bill Abner's blog and how in depth the gameplay is, I doubt you'd get anywhere near there. The gameplay seems to be more micro vs. macro.

CleBrownsfan 08-07-2008 06:34 AM

I d/l a podcast on ITunes last night for Head Coach 09- it's under EA Fantasy Football.

redfox000 08-07-2008 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Fo (Post 1799562)
I can't remember, is there a next version of FOF coming or any other company currently making a pro football sim game?

Wolverine Studios is coming out with a Football Sim Game.

http://www.wolverinestudios.com/news.php?id=55

Flasch186 08-07-2008 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mota (Post 1803124)
From reading Bill Abner's blog and how in depth the gameplay is, I doubt you'd get anywhere near there. The gameplay seems to be more micro vs. macro.

Well take the example of the post above where the guy wants to rebuild the Falcons in the trenches. do you know how many seasons it can take for a team to do that then put in the specialty players around it for a 3-4 year shot? Its a shame (maybe not a big negative but a negative nonetheless) that the season cap is there and then it's so low.

MizzouRah 08-07-2008 10:07 AM

I'm starting before the draft, creating myself as the head coach of the Rams. I'll probably take DT Glenn Dorsey instead of Chris Long.. but you never know.

Check out this screen.. kind of like a CIV technology tree when creating your coach:

LOVE this stuff as well:

Quote:

Each player has been given health at 6 different body parts; left leg, right leg, left arm, right arm, torso and head. We track each time a player is hit during the games and subtract some health based on a number of different factors including the player’s current health, injury rating, severity of impact and their toughness rating. The lower a player’s health gets at each body part, the greater the chance that the next big hit could cause an injury, specific to that body part. So if Kurt Warner takes a huge hit to the head with his already low health there, he stands a really good chance of suffering a severe concussion. How quickly the player heals and is able to return to the lineup is based on their age and toughness rating. Keep an eye on your players as the season goes on…they can and will wear down.

Quote:

There’s so much really. If I had to pick one thing, it would be the sense of immersion in the world we created for you. We wanted you to really feel like you were in a living world as an NFL head coach. We created a fake college season, we have off the field injuries and news and the fact that every NFL team actually plays like they do in real life means that every day you’ll see something new. People that are in their 3rd or 4th season are telling us they saw something new every day. I hope that really resonates with the fans and they get lost in this game.

MizzouRah 08-07-2008 10:08 AM

This would be a great game to write a dynasty for.. I might give that a go.

Capital 08-07-2008 10:54 AM

Is the game for the PC or just the consoles?

Mizzou B-ball fan 08-07-2008 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capital (Post 1803371)
Is the game for the PC or just the consoles?

EA Sports is not producing any PC games this year.

Capital 08-07-2008 11:01 AM

Figures...Well, I guess no head coach or Tiger Woods for me. Solecismic, Wolverine, or Grey Dog to the rescue.

Kodos 08-07-2008 11:01 AM

And it's only being made for the Next Gen consoles, so no Wii.

:p

CleBrownsfan 08-07-2008 11:02 AM

What's the word on online play? I really haven't read anything about brining this on XBOX llive..

Eaglesfan27 08-07-2008 12:03 PM

Online play will only have supersim games, which is a disappointment.

CleBrownsfan 08-07-2008 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 (Post 1803472)
Online play will only have supersim games, which is a disappointment.

With Leagues or dynasty?

Eaglesfan27 08-07-2008 01:24 PM

I think online play is only for a single "play now" type game. I think the clear focus of this game is a single player experience. I don't think there is any online franchise/dynasty mode, but I might be mistaken.

CleBrownsfan 08-07-2008 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 (Post 1803549)
I think online play is only for a single "play now" type game. I think the clear focus of this game is a single player experience. I don't think there is any online franchise/dynasty mode, but I might be mistaken.

To bad... maybe future HC will have an online dynasty

rowech 08-07-2008 02:06 PM

Is there any word as to when there will be a demo?

MizzouRah 08-07-2008 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rowech (Post 1803590)
Is there any word as to when there will be a demo?

I was wondering that myself.. on the Q and A they said it would be a totally different type of demo, but there was no release date given. Oh well, only 5 days until it's out.

CleBrownsfan 08-08-2008 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MizzouRah (Post 1804113)
I was wondering that myself.. on the Q and A they said it would be a totally different type of demo, but there was no release date given. Oh well, only 5 days until it's out.

Five loooong days

MizzouRah 08-08-2008 11:34 AM

First time a strategy guide is a must for me: http://www.easports.com/downloads/ea...C09_SAMPLE.pdf

Can't wait to pick that up and read through it.

I'm telling you, this game will be the only game in my 360 for quite some time... it feels like those good ol FPS Football release days. :)

MizzouRah 08-08-2008 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan (Post 1804258)
Five loooong days

FOUR!

Passacaglia 08-08-2008 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirFozzie (Post 1802804)
From Bill Harris's site (Dubiousquality.blogspot.com, this is from a NFL Head Coach Designer on the game's FA/Draft engine work

1. Essentially, the CPU will assign a value to all available players and compare them against one another. "Player value" is a third type of rating we use in addition to the raw Madden player abilities and system-dependent player grades.

Player value takes everything into account you could possibly imagine.

First, it scales each player's grade based on his position. For example, a 99 overall QB is much more valuable than a 99 overall kicker.

Second, it scales players with the same position relative to each other in a non-linear way. For example, a 60 overall QB is not 60% as valuable as a 99 QB (in fact, a 60 QB is basically worthless). So the value mapping is actually a curve, and when you look at your Team Roadmap you'll see a huge dropoff in value from the top-tier players to the lower-tier guys.

After that, a ton of other things are factored in to tweak the value such as projected cap hit, playbook knowledge, etc.

Once the team has evaluated every single player, they need to decide who will add the most value to their team. "Added value" is the secret sauce that drives almost all of the logic in this game.As an example, let's say you're the Colts and Tom Brady is on the FA auction block. Do you acquire him? No, because although Brady has a high value, he has essentially zero *added value* to your team. Your money is much better spent somewhere else.

The trick is that added value encapsulates both value *and* need, so teams will always go after the guy who is the best available relative to their current needs.

During the draft, the player who fits this description might not be expected to go for several picks, and this is when the CPU will trade down.

2. The CPU will go after a player in proportion to how much value he adds to their team. As per above, teams with more need will be willing to pay more.

Also, each team has a philosophy as to how it spends its money. Some teams will go all out for their top need, while other teams will try to distribute their money among all of their needs.

So they STILL haven't realized that if they're going to use a 0-100 scale, they should use all of it?

Antmeister 08-08-2008 12:07 PM

Ugh....why do I get this bad feeling that people are gonna find some horrible bugs in the game after a week of play (like last year). Call me pessimistic, but this sounds too good to be true. For a first iteration of a game, since it was built from the ground up, I feel that things are gonna be a bit buggy, especially when people take a stab at online play. Not to say I am happy they are taking this on, I just hope a majority of issues deal with balance problems which users can at least tweak.

BigDPW 08-08-2008 12:09 PM

This one should be an interesting release... I am buying into some of the hype but luckily would never buy this packaged with Madden so I will wait for impressions and the real release...

CleBrownsfan 08-08-2008 12:13 PM

Gamestops have the strat guide in if you guys are interested in getting one!!

CleBrownsfan 08-08-2008 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antmeister (Post 1804490)
Ugh....why do I get this bad feeling that people are gonna find some horrible bugs in the game after a week of play (like last year).

Because it's EA :devil:

I'm hoping we wont find a gamekiller bug but I guess we always take that chance buying an EA sports title.

Mizzou B-ball fan 08-08-2008 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antmeister (Post 1804490)
Ugh....why do I get this bad feeling that people are gonna find some horrible bugs in the game after a week of play (like last year). Call me pessimistic, but this sounds too good to be true. For a first iteration of a game, since it was built from the ground up, I feel that things are gonna be a bit buggy, especially when people take a stab at online play. Not to say I am happy they are taking this on, I just hope a majority of issues deal with balance problems which users can at least tweak.

The stand alone game doesn't come out for a couple of weeks. Just wait for that and you should have plenty of time to find out if any hidden bugs surface. The late release would seem to be doing us all a favor unless you're one of those impulse people that will spend $90 on the Madden package.

It should also be mentioned that there may be a lot of Madden fans who buy the $90 package and then sell back the Head Coach disc. It could result in a pretty nice supply of used HC games.

cartman 08-08-2008 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan (Post 1804544)
It should also be mentioned that there may be a lot of Madden fans who buy the $90 package and then sell back the Head Coach disc. It could result in a pretty nice supply of used HC games.

Since the game is going to reportedly come with Madden, HC plus the extra content all in the same jewel case, there probably won't be that many copies out there, since the big chains usually require the jewel case, or some form of original packaging.

Balldog 08-08-2008 05:13 PM

I think you might see copies on Ebay the day of release or shortly after.

MizzouRah 08-08-2008 09:34 PM

I have the strategy guide, if you want to know something.. especially about your team.. just let me know.

MizzouRah 08-08-2008 09:39 PM

St. Louis Rams

Overall rating: 74
Offense rating: 84
Defense rating: 70

Salary cap room: $42.5

Head Coach: 28 (that's why it's going to be me)
Off Coordinator: 83
Def Coordinator: 33

Best off player: Torry Holt (94)
Best def player: Chris Long (88)

Travis 08-08-2008 10:30 PM

how does seattle look?

Balldog 08-08-2008 11:21 PM

I need to get that strategy guide! How do the Lions look?

rockboy70 08-09-2008 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MizzouRah (Post 1804910)
I have the strategy guide, if you want to know something.. especially about your team.. just let me know.

How do the Vikings look? Also the the Rams already have Long, so you don't start as coach before the draft?

MizzouRah 08-09-2008 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockboy70 (Post 1805171)
How do the Vikings look? Also the the Rams already have Long, so you don't start as coach before the draft?

You can start either before or after the draft and with the current coach or creat yourself.

I was going to start before the draft with myself as the HC, but after seeing how good Long looks, I think I'll start after the draft. Plus, with Farve now in the game, I'm anxious to play out the real season.

MizzouRah 08-09-2008 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travis (Post 1804948)
how does seattle look?

Seattle

Overall: 90
Offense: 91
Defense: 87

Cap room: $39.4

Head Coach: 92
Off coor: 60
Def: 51
Special T: 99

Best off player: Matt Hasselbeck (91)
Best def player: Marcus Trufant (89) Lofa Tatupu (89)

Season Outlook: The Seahawks won the NFC West in 2007 and is the favorite in a still-weak division in '08. This team needs to find a long-term prospect at RB and upgrade the coaching staff. Overall Player Grade: A

MizzouRah 08-09-2008 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balldog (Post 1804997)
I need to get that strategy guide! How do the Lions look?

Detroit

Overall: 73
Off: 77
Def: 67

Sal cap: $53.3

Season Outlook: The team has weapons on offense, notably at WR, but their defense is the team's Achilles heel. The playbook probably needs a tune-up as well. Overall player grade: C+

Head Coach: 32
Off coach: 29
Def coach: 31
ST Coach: 28

Best off player: Roy Williams (90)
Best def player: Ernie Sims (84)

Ironhead 08-09-2008 10:42 AM

What about the Falcons coaching staff? Thanks in advance.

MizzouRah 08-09-2008 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockboy70 (Post 1805171)

Minnesota

Overall: 81
Off: 76
Def: 85

Cap room: $19.9

Season Outlook: The Vikings boast a solid defense and a breakout superstar in running back Adrain Peterson. Build your team and playbook around those two things, and you'll be in good shape for the future. Overall Player Grade: B

Head Coach: 34
Off coach: 20
Def coach: 38
ST coach: 20

Best off player: Steve Hutchinson (91)
Best def player: Jared Allen (95)