Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   FOFC Archive (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   The Sopranos - Season 6 (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=47967)

Mizzou B-ball fan 04-17-2006 10:49 AM

Boy, some of you are taking the show a bit too serious. You belong on the Oscar voting committee (who manages to generally nominate crap that most people don't want to watch) if you seriously analyze episodes that heavily. It was a great episode. By far the best one of the season.

We had 5 people watching it together in the living room and we were rolling on the floor for a good portion of the episode. We had to watch it again because we actually laughed too loud to hear some of the things that were said.

Deattribution 04-17-2006 11:02 AM

Felt like a good 25 minutes atleast of filler (not counting the 10 minutes spend on pimping 'Big Love', showing the last episode and the intro). Definitely a few funny parts but it still felt like it accomplished little to nothing.

NoMyths 04-17-2006 12:12 PM

"Are they those....al quaedas?"

"I don't think so [...] They've got a dog. A spaniel."

hahaha

Bad-example 04-17-2006 12:26 PM

Paulie had such a strong reaction once Vito was outed. Gotta wonder if he is gay also, or maybe a latent case.

I liked this episode.

Radii 04-17-2006 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad-example
Paulie had such a strong reaction once Vito was outed. Gotta wonder if he is gay also, or maybe a latent case.

I think Paulie just wants the rest of the world to know how difficult his life is, he wants to make himself into a martyr and wants everyone to feel sorry for him. I doubt there's anything else to his reaction.

ISiddiqui 04-17-2006 01:47 PM

Well Paulie is pretty old guy in a macho organization like the mob. And he's a major league hothead. Of course he'd have a problem with a gay captain.

Bad-example 04-17-2006 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
Well Paulie is pretty old guy in a macho organization like the mob. And he's a major league hothead. Of course he'd have a problem with a gay captain.

Yeah, it fits with his character and you are probably right. Still, it is a bit of a red flag when someone has such a strong reaction to the subject of homosexuality. Kind of like when someone over 30 admits they watch pro wrestling. Most likely it means nothing but you still have to wonder a bit.

The part with Tony calling Vito's cell phone and getting that road worker was funny. If he had used some common courtesy with the guy, he could have asked where he found the phone and gotten a clue as to Vito's whereabouts.

ISiddiqui 04-17-2006 06:17 PM

I doubt Paulie will turn out to be gay, because that would just be an :rolleyes: moment. So I think it's just the "It's disgusting" thing.

TazFTW 04-25-2006 04:42 AM

Something about Lauren Baucall getting punched made me smile. Frankie Valli and his driver deserved to get wacked if they didn't notice the setup. It was cool to see Artie beat up Benny.

Radii 04-25-2006 07:54 AM

That was a great episode. Artie is a fucking idiot.

Subby 04-25-2006 08:36 AM

Best episode of the season thus far....any time you have Lauren Bacall dropping F-bombs you are doing okay. :)

Anthony 04-25-2006 08:40 AM

Artie is on thin ice. i got bad images in my head when Benny was saying what he planned on doing to him if he was allowed to take artie to the wharehouse. ouch. you gotta think at some point in time some gangster actually did that to somebody. ooof.

cthomer5000 04-25-2006 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris
Best episode of the season thus far....any time you have Lauren Bacall dropping F-bombs you are doing okay. :)

That was a great scene. Enjoyable episode overall, but I just never get the feeling that this show is doing anything of importance anymore.

Subby 04-25-2006 08:51 AM

I kind of stopped hoping for that a long time ago. For me, The Sopranos is more a slice of life show than it is drama with a traditional story arc. It mirrors most of our lives in that none of us are really moving toward anything that important.

Is that a cop out by the writers? I don't know.

The show has the potential to "blow you away" but I just don't think the writers are interested in taking it in that direction anymore. Was the highlight of the series the botched assassination attempt of Tony in Season 1? I think you could argue that...

cartman 04-25-2006 09:15 AM

I liked how the two Sicilians were talking about buying European stuff in the US, because it was cheaper than buying it in Italy. That resonated with me. :)

Deattribution 04-25-2006 10:59 AM

To me, it wasn't a terrible episode but they've taken all the characters in such radical directions that I don't care anymore... The stuff with Chris was painful to watch, they've practically turned him into a crackhead... Vito is gone for now (how about that follow-up?) but even before that they turned him into a prick...

Infact, they've turned them all into pricks, all of a sudden the new season starts and everyone is out for themselves for no good reason. It made a little sense when Tony was down but now it doesn't.

I miss when they could develope a story and a character without dedicating the entire show to him/her.

rexallllsc 04-25-2006 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris
I kind of stopped hoping for that a long time ago. For me, The Sopranos is more a slice of life show than it is drama with a traditional story arc. It mirrors most of our lives in that none of us are really moving toward anything that important.

Is that a cop out by the writers? I don't know.

The show has the potential to "blow you away" but I just don't think the writers are interested in taking it in that direction anymore. Was the highlight of the series the botched assassination attempt of Tony in Season 1? I think you could argue that...

I think the writers are bored and we're seeing that play out.

We're what, halfway through the LAST season now?

Maybe they'll end it with a bang.

ISiddiqui 04-25-2006 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rexallllsc
I think the writers are bored and we're seeing that play out.

We're what, halfway through the LAST season now?

Maybe they'll end it with a bang.

Kind of... its like Battlestar Galactica, in which there will be a Part 1 and a Part 2 of the season. We are halfway through Part 1 of the 6th season. Part 2 will begin in 2007. There will be 8 episodes in Part 2 of this (the last) season.

JS19 04-25-2006 12:28 PM

They better end it with something huge. I thought this last episode was pretty much a waste, who gives a shit if Artie's busniness is struggling.

ISiddiqui 04-25-2006 12:38 PM

Well, it could be a vehicle for moving Doogie's best friend (;)) into a more central role from now until the end of the show (or until he gets wacked).

rexallllsc 04-25-2006 01:08 PM

Quote:

Kind of... its like Battlestar Galactica, in which there will be a Part 1 and a Part 2 of the season. We are halfway through Part 1 of the 6th season. Part 2 will begin in 2007. There will be 8 episodes in Part 2 of this (the last) season.

Oh really, I was not aware of that. I thought this right now was the last season.

Talk about dragging it out. Lame.

ISiddiqui 04-25-2006 01:29 PM

Well they could have just called the second half Season 7, if it pleases you :p.

NoMyths 04-25-2006 01:38 PM

I tend to think that this was probably Artie's farewell episode. Not everyone gets whacked. But since he played a bigger role in earlier seasons, he got a bigger send-off than his role probably would have gotten otherwise.

Bad-example 04-25-2006 01:53 PM

I enjoyed the episode. It will be interesting to see what happens with Artie as the series winds down. He has always been a rather clownish character.

The bit with Lauren Bacall bit was great.

ISiddiqui 04-25-2006 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoMyths
I tend to think that this was probably Artie's farewell episode. Not everyone gets whacked. But since he played a bigger role in earlier seasons, he got a bigger send-off than his role probably would have gotten otherwise.

You most definately could be right. We may see him in the background while the main players are eating, but this could be the last significant part in an episode he gets.

Raven Hawk 04-25-2006 03:25 PM

I thought that the scenes with Ben Kingsley and Chris were priceless. They really got the point across that neither understood the other's world very well. I have nothing against Lauren Bacall, but seeing her get smacked made me laugh. The situation was just funny. Agreed, though. The show is a far cry from what it used to be. I think that it started going down hill after Joe Pantoliano's character was wacked. Perhaps it started before that, but it definitly took a dive after that for me.

Bad-example 04-25-2006 05:39 PM

Quote:

You most definately could be right. We may see him in the background while the main players are eating, but this could be the last significant part in an episode he gets.

I doubt he will just fade into the background. He has been around since the first season, so more likely they will find the time to bring his story arc to a conclusion of some sort. Maybe he will find inspiration in his dad's old cookbook to revuvenate his business.

Bad-example 04-25-2006 05:42 PM

dola

But of course I could be wrong, as I was here.

Quote:

There is reason to believe Jonny Sack will be out of jail soon. The key witness against him keeled over dead.

I guess I got the informants mixed up. I was pretty sure the guy that died in the car in the first episode was the main guy fingering Johnny Sack.

stevew 04-25-2006 05:57 PM

Quote:

Well, it could be a vehicle for moving Doogie's best friend (;)) into a more central role from now until the end of the show (or until he gets wacked).

Whack Vinnie already and get it over with. I looked, believe it or not, that dude is like 8 years older than I am, no way I would think him to be 38.

Joe 04-25-2006 07:36 PM

Quote:

dola

But of course I could be wrong, as I was here.

I guess I got the informants mixed up. I was pretty sure the guy that died in the car in the first episode was the main guy fingering Johnny Sack.

Wasn't that Raymond Curto? He wouldn't know much about the NY stuff.

stevew 04-25-2006 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deattribution
To me, it wasn't a terrible episode but they've taken all the characters in such radical directions that I don't care anymore... The stuff with Chris was painful to watch, they've practically turned him into a crackhead... Vito is gone for now (how about that follow-up?) but even before that they turned him into a prick...

Infact, they've turned them all into pricks, all of a sudden the new season starts and everyone is out for themselves for no good reason. It made a little sense when Tony was down but now it doesn't.

I miss when they could develope a story and a character without dedicating the entire show to him/her.

Next week is the "Vito Episode." Way too much Artie this week.

Joe 04-30-2006 10:16 PM

Did anybody else just notice that AJ's hair grew in just one scene??

That was some pretty bad editing...

stevew 04-30-2006 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George W Bush

My brother said the same thing.

ISiddiqui 04-30-2006 11:11 PM

I think this episode confirms that AJ isn't cut out for the mob business. Totally fucks up killing Junior and then has a panic attack about it a day later.

bosshogg23 04-30-2006 11:24 PM

Quote:

I think this episode confirms that AJ isn't cut out for the mob business. Totally fucks up killing Junior and then has a panic attack about it a day later.

I said the same thing. Nurse wife says, "Panic attacks arent genetic." STFU was lost on her in that moment :)

Vito's involvement is left open, AJ's scenes have to be decreased, he isnt a mobster, other than that, very few plot lines were advanced. Still enjoyed the episode.

ISiddiqui 04-30-2006 11:35 PM

Well, they have to start wrapping up some loose ends (or else you'll have a TON left over when they end it next year), and why not get rid of the AJ as mobster stuff now?

cthomer5000 05-01-2006 12:07 AM

Quote:

Yeah... that's what we call a continuity error. Pretty bad one too, caught it immediately.

JS19 05-01-2006 12:14 AM

AJ has a striking resemblance to Jared Leto.

Qwikshot 05-01-2006 12:27 PM

AJ has a striking resemblance to a whiny b&tch.

QuikSand 05-01-2006 12:50 PM

I thought this week's was the best episode of the year. The scenes with Chris in LA (last week) were obviusly humorous, but the stuff with AJ, Tony and his would-be fling, and Vito all seemed to progress well this week, for my tastes.

Anthony 05-01-2006 01:01 PM

AJ should not get much airtime. a very horrible actor.

in other news - my best friend banged his mother in real life.

JS19 05-01-2006 01:09 PM

Although it wasn't the greatest episode, it was probably the best one so far for this season. I agree, somebody should whack AJ next episode so we no longer have to see him on screen.

Bad-example 05-01-2006 01:17 PM

Good episode, I think the first this year that is up to the level of previous seasons.

A.J. passed out the first time when his football coach made him the captain. Last night he had another panic attack right after that guy asked him for help with his landlord and then exclaimed, "Soprano's the man!". There is something about him being a leader that sends his mind around the bend.

Logan 05-01-2006 04:53 PM

Quote:

Good episode, I think the first this year that is up to the level of previous seasons.

A.J. passed out the first time when his football coach made him the captain. Last night he had another panic attack right after that guy asked him for help with his landlord and then exclaimed, "Soprano's the man!". There is something about him being a leader that sends his mind around the bend.

I might be in the minority here, but I don't care enough to see one second of AJ on screen. I understand it's important to show all the aspects of our main characters "families." But I don't think there's ever been a relative of a main character in any show I've watched that I cared less about than AJ. Spend as much time as you want on Carmela and Meadow...they are interesting characters who deserve screen time. AJ, on the other hand, was a whiny little bitch when he was having his Nintendo taken away as a 13 year old, and is still a whiny little bitch when he complains to his parents about working a 3 hour shift at Blockbuster. So when a large portion of an episode is spent on him and his "issues," you lose me.

EDIT: I think it's really interesting how I've seen every episode this season be called the best of the season by at least a few people on the only two message boards I read. Not a criticism, just a point on people's different tastes...

stevew 05-01-2006 05:16 PM

Vito making that cell phone call could be a big mistake. Or it could be not an issue at all. I'm just tired of long drawn out stretches watching his fat ass waddle around, and getting winded. It's pretty annoying. And AJ is annoying, I kind of wish he would have killed Junior just so they could send his ass to jail and write him out.

Logan 05-01-2006 06:19 PM

Quote:

As I referenced a couple posts ago, I read 2 boards primarily for entertainment-related discussion...FOFC and DVDTalk. Frequently, I'll read them at the same time. The above post tells me that GWB either has 2 different user names on DVDTalk, or reads that board, and lifts the "realizations" and posts them over here.

I call for an impeachment.

Bee 05-03-2006 07:17 AM

I found it pretty funny that in the little town Vito's in right now, the whole volunteer fire department is gay. :D

Yossarian 05-03-2006 07:22 AM

Quote:

my best friend banged his mother in real life

What, oedipean style?

Anthony 05-03-2006 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yossarian
What, oedipean style?

she went to the bar he used to bartend at. nature took it's course at that point.

Yossarian 05-03-2006 10:04 AM

I was actually going for a crap joke there..

but it was lame and I'll step away from the thread now