Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   FOFC Archive (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   The official 2008 MLB thread (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=64257)

Chief Rum 09-12-2008 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crapshoot (Post 1831211)
Meh - its maybe his 3rd best season. The Save stat is up there with RBI in terms of distorting performance from actual value.

Yeah, I know. But most people still look at it as a worthwhile accomplishment, so kudos to K-Rod.

MylesKnight 09-12-2008 01:18 AM

Well, the goal going into '08 was a Winning Season for the first time in a while.... Now sitting at 66-80, can the RedLegs somehow win their final 16 and achieve the basic goal that Dusty laid out before the season began?

66-80 right now?? WTF!!

Chief Rum 09-14-2008 03:43 AM

I know some won't give the record it's just due, but congrats to Frankie Rodriguez on passing Bobby Thigpen for the single season saves record.

MrBug708 09-14-2008 11:56 AM

Indeed, congrats to him. I wonder where it would rank on greatest season for a closer?

molson 09-14-2008 12:05 PM

Great year - but I think it's a shame that teams STILL limit pitchers of this caliber to 60 innings a year. And a lot of those innings come when the team is winning by 2-3 runs, and almost ALL of those innings come with nobody on base when he comes in. It's a total waste of his talent. He's going to get MVP votes, which is a joke.

The closer role is stupid. It drives me crazy.

When a manager puts his best relief pitcher into a tie game in the 7th inning I think that someone's finally figured it out. But it's always an anomaly.

Logan 09-14-2008 01:00 PM

Hey CR, my knowledge of K-Rod is basically his stats and your rants on him at different times during the season. With Wagner out next year, it's expected the Mets will make a run at him. Should I be nervous?

Chief Rum 09-14-2008 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Logan (Post 1833083)
Hey CR, my knowledge of K-Rod is basically his stats and your rants on him at different times during the season. With Wagner out next year, it's expected the Mets will make a run at him. Should I be nervous?

Yes and no. I'll start with the yes.

K-Rod has a very good (but not great fastball), a wicked forkball/slider that is his out pitch and one of the best of its kind in the league, and a change and curve he occasionally uses, but not nearly as mucha s the first two.

When he is throwing his heater with control and confidence, he is virtually unhittable a la World Series 2002. Hitters are torn between whether to expect the fastball or try to be prepared for that slider that's in the back of their mind. I can't tell you how often K-Rod seems to groove a fastball right down the pipe, easy as pie, and the hitter is frozen, can't swing, because he bet on the slider that pitch. He just stares at the ball hopelessly as it flies by.

Why is this a bad thing? Because K-Rod doesn't always have pinpoint control of his fastball, and he doesn't have enough heat or movement (about 95 mph) on it to make major league hitters miss all the time. When hitters see they don't have to worry about the fastball, they lay off the slider--which is almost always a ball and in the dirt. It's an intense pitch and hitters love to take a hack at it, and they almost always miss. Its late bite is incredible. But if you know the slider won't be a strike, and K-Rod's fastball is off, you can basically wait for your pitch or take the walk.

Also, K-Rod just always seems to put one or two guys on. Seeing him shut the door so often in the end, it just seems like he does it on purpose. Silly, I know, but if you watch him every day, you get the sense that he isn't always focused until the pressure is on. So the result is a cardiac situation every time he pitches (or so it seems). 1-2-3 innings are extremely rare.

He will also probably only sign for $13-15 M per year, because he thinks he's as good as Mariano (and that's what his agent is telling him), and he won't sign for less than 4-5 years. That's a ton of money to devote to a closer pitching limited innings (which is the primary reason the Angels will probably look elsewhere).

Also, a lot of people think his wild delivery will lead to longterm arm problems. Hasn't happened yet, but then, he's only 26. But he already has a lot of innings on that arm, for a reliever anyway.

Now, the reason not to be nervous. Start with the obvious. He gets the job done. Whether you like how he does it or not, it can't be argued that he shuts the door. He just does. I have already talked about hsi quality pitches. That's for real; he has that.

Next, he has pitched in all sorts of relief situations, and in high, high pressure spots like playoffs and World Series, and he has come through with flying colors. He thrives on pressure and crowds and noise, feeds off of it.

He's a very emotional guy, but the sort that grabs that emotion and focuses it into an angry determination that helps him on the mound.

His emotion will play well in New York. The fans will love him for it. Opponents will hate it, and his finger pointing to the sky and his displays of emotion when he fist pumps with a yell after getting a strikeout. New Yorkers are used to Joba, though, so this would be no biggie to them.

He is popular in the clubhouse, both among Hispanic and non-Hispanic players, and speaks English very well, almost unaccented, despite being from Venezuela. He WILL talk. That will play well in New York, too, and the papers will love it, but he'll probably say something mildly stupid or controversial at some point that people will comment on. He'll shrug and go on.

If that's your only real hole and you have $15 M in your budget to burn, there are few better ways to spend that money, IMO. But few teams are in the situation, and it's definitely an overpay. But so long as he's healthy and you have some Tums always available for his cardiac relief spots, he'll get the job done for you.

Logan 09-14-2008 01:34 PM

That was a healthy write-up. Thanks. A lot of my fellow Mets fans don't seem to understand that he has a downside, and I probably wouldn't either if not for threads like these.

We have a couple potential closers in the system, but none that will be ready for next year unfortunately. If they don't grab K-Rod, it will probably be the length of the deal that's the issue, for the reasons you stated.

Chubby 09-14-2008 01:35 PM

The Mets need to overpay for KRod and I am optimistic they will.

Logan 09-14-2008 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chubby (Post 1833100)
The Mets need to overpay for KRod and I am optimistic they will.

You mean because Luis Ayala, with the team up 4-2 in the 9th, just gave up a 3-run PH HR to some stiff?

hoopsguy 09-14-2008 09:03 PM

Anyone watching the Cubs?

Radii 09-14-2008 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoopsguy (Post 1833506)
Anyone watching the Cubs?

I'm saying nothing!! Its not on TV here, I hope they break into the ESPN game to show the bottom of the 9th :(

Neuqua 09-14-2008 09:15 PM

I don't know what you guys are talking about. La dee da dee da.

Chubby 09-14-2008 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Logan (Post 1833244)
You mean because Luis Ayala, with the team up 4-2 in the 9th, just gave up a 3-run PH HR to some stiff?

No, because they don't have a real closer (Ayala was never the answer regardless of what he did today) and they do have money to burn

hoopsguy 09-14-2008 09:27 PM

I thought my question was innocuous enough :)

If I recall correctly, Z has had a couple of close calls in the past. Great to see him get the no-no.

Radii 09-14-2008 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neuqua (Post 1833523)
I don't know what you guys are talking about. La dee da dee da.

:D

Grats to Zambrano, that is so great to see.

Neuqua 09-14-2008 09:31 PM

Man that was exciting. The first no-hitter I have ever watched. I was shaking.

hoopsguy 09-14-2008 09:36 PM

How much of it did you guys see? I turned over to it in bottom of 5th, first batter I saw was the HBP. So I got to take in about 1/2 of it.

Barkeep went up to the game tonight - can't wait to talk to him about it.

Neuqua 09-14-2008 09:38 PM

I've been watching the entire game, flipping between the game and the replay of Fringe.

My buddy was in the left field bleachers too, what an experience that must have been.

Radii 09-14-2008 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoopsguy (Post 1833545)
How much of it did you guys see? I turned over to it in bottom of 5th, first batter I saw was the HBP. So I got to take in about 1/2 of it.

Barkeep went up to the game tonight - can't wait to talk to him about it.

Only the bottom of the 9th. It wasn't on here. :(

EagleFan 09-14-2008 10:27 PM

Rats, I thought everyone was talking about the Phils 4 game sweep of the Brewers.... ;)

JeeberD 09-15-2008 12:34 AM

I knew I never should have stuck my fucking head into this thread the other day... :mad:

Sweed 09-15-2008 02:17 PM

Just announced during the Cubs game that the Brewers fired Yost. WTF? I mean ok if they don't make the playoffs by all means do it if you feel it should be done. But when you're tied for the wild card and could do some damage if you could somehow sweep the Cubs in the upcoming series. As a Cub fan and an outsider I don't get it.

hoopsguy 09-15-2008 02:42 PM

Well, there is the little matter of back-to-back September collapses by the Brew crew last year and this year. Couple that with the jolt a couple of teams seem to have gotten with new managers (Blue Jays and Mets) and I'm guessing they are looking for something/anything to help them get into the postseason this year.

It has been something like 25 years since their last appearance. They aren't going to have CC next year and I think Sheets is a (restricted?) FA as well. If it isn't this year for Milwaukee, then when is it going to be?

That's the best argument I can come up with for axing him today, instead of after the season. Not sure I buy it, but maybe some Brewers fans can chime in with info on Yost + clubhouse that suggest why this had to happen.

MikeVic 09-15-2008 02:53 PM

Go Cito Gaston.

miami_fan 09-16-2008 09:04 PM

Rays have not "choke" away the AL East yet.

EagleFan 09-16-2008 10:35 PM

The big man strikes again!!! :D

He's got a chance at 50.

Lathum 09-16-2008 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EagleFan (Post 1835726)
The big man strikes again!!! :D

He's got a chance at 50.

I hope they ship you to India for good ;)

Mike1409 09-16-2008 10:43 PM

Huge win for the Rays tonight!

EagleFan 09-16-2008 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lathum (Post 1835732)
I hope they ship you to India for good ;)

:D

BishopMVP 09-16-2008 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by molson (Post 1833036)
Great year - but I think it's a shame that teams STILL limit pitchers of this caliber to 60 innings a year. And a lot of those innings come when the team is winning by 2-3 runs, and almost ALL of those innings come with nobody on base when he comes in. It's a total waste of his talent. He's going to get MVP votes, which is a joke.

The closer role is stupid. It drives me crazy.

When a manager puts his best relief pitcher into a tie game in the 7th inning I think that someone's finally figured it out. But it's always an anomaly.

I think some teams have actually figured this out. Detroit had Todd Jones as their "closer" when he clearly wasn't their best reliever and TB seems to be doing much the same thing with Percival. I still haven't seen anyone do it with a K-Rod or Papelbon, but it seems some managers intentionally don't name their best reliever the closer.

sterlingice 09-17-2008 07:22 AM

Considering how inflated power numbers are these days, there's a good chance the AL home run champ has under 40 this year and it's possible Ryan Howard is the only one in either league over 40.

SI

JPhillips 09-19-2008 03:40 PM

Bochy is the new Dusty. Look at the pitcher stress numbers from Baseball Prospectus. Sabathia is #2 at 29 and Lincecum is #1 at 51!

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/st...php?cid=204015

ISiddiqui 09-19-2008 03:43 PM

For a young pitcher, who has been referred to as "The Franchise", that's unconscionable.

EagleFan 09-19-2008 04:21 PM

And that stat tells us what exactly?

Crapshoot 09-19-2008 04:27 PM

Yeah, don't get me started. I want that oversized cranium the hell out of SF/

JPhillips 09-19-2008 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EagleFan (Post 1838232)
And that stat tells us what exactly?

It's a measure of stressful starts a through pitch counts. The real shock is the gap between #1 and #2.

EagleFan 09-19-2008 05:04 PM

Again, that stat tells us what?

JPhillips 09-19-2008 05:06 PM

It's a measure of how some people either don't want to read or pay attention to what's been written.

EagleFan 09-19-2008 05:18 PM

It's a meaningless stat, it means nothing in the bottom line of things.

MikeVic 09-19-2008 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EagleFan (Post 1838268)

Reveal yourself Dusty Baker!

sterlingice 09-19-2008 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ISiddiqui (Post 1838206)
For a young pitcher, who has been referred to as "The Franchise", that's unconscionable.

Particularly an injury prone one with a build that isn't ideal for a pitcher.

SI

BishopMVP 09-19-2008 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EagleFan (Post 1838268)

High pitch counts, pitching on short rest (and increases in workload) are linked to injury, particularly in young pitchers. CC Sabathia for example, is 29, in the middle of a pennant race and will not be on the Brewers next season.

Tim Lincecum is a 24y/o pitcher, future ace of the franchise, throwing 138 pitches in meaningless September games for a team mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. He has never thrown more than like 160 innings in a season, and he's at 221 now. Possibly in a futile effort to win him a Cy Young or keep fans coming to the ballpark. (Matt Cain is also top 5 in PAP.)

Maybe his space-age delivery keeps him injury-free, but past examples like Mark Prior and Kerry Wood suggest it's unconscionable to be risking such a valuable long-term asset for absolutely no gain this month. Aaron Harang is another example
Quote:

Until May 25th:

78.2 innings, 3.32 era .721 OPSa with a 1.194 whip

May 25th, Red-Padres extra inning game when on 2 days rest Harang throws 4 innings, 67 pitches.
Since May 25th:

77.1 innings, 7.07 era .996 OPSa with a 1.675 whip.

BishopMVP 09-19-2008 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sterlingice (Post 1838419)
Particularly an injury prone one with a build that isn't ideal for a pitcher.

SI

The one defense of the Giants is that he's shown nothing (other than being short) to indicate he's particularly injury-prone.

stevew 09-20-2008 01:23 AM

Shit, if I paid that much in trade for CC, I'd definitely be pitching him till his arm fell off.

Anyways, they need a fan abuse pitcher stress metric. One can only take so much of Ian Snell.

And while I'm at it, is it safe to say that John Van Benschoten is one of the worst pitchers in major league history yet?

90 IP, 2.14 Whip, 9.20 ERA

Big Fo 09-20-2008 02:19 AM

For some reason BP adapting hurricane rating terminology to pitch counts amused me.

Nice K/BB ratio for Benschoten there. They don't have anyone better than that somewhere in the organization?

MikeVic 09-20-2008 10:19 AM

If you look at his career earnings, it looks like he's been playing for free in 2007 and 2008. :p

korme 09-20-2008 10:51 AM

John Van Benschoten went to my HS!

Atocep 09-20-2008 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevew (Post 1838758)

And while I'm at it, is it safe to say that John Van Benschoten is one of the worst pitchers in major league history yet?

90 IP, 2.14 Whip, 9.20 ERA

He should have never been a pitcher to begin with. Especially after he tore his labrum and rotator cuff in '04, but by that time the Pirates probably thought major arm surgery was typical for young pitchers.

Mike1409 09-21-2008 01:43 AM

I have the stub from the game that the Rays clinched their first ever playoff appearance!!!!!!!