Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   FOFC Archive (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Lakers vs Magic and the 2008-2009 NBA Playoffs/Finals Thread (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=71832)

Fidatelo 06-02-2009 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Rum (Post 2039617)
Back to hiding you go then. No surprise.

Umm... what? I don't get this whole hiding thing at all. Seriously. Any joke is hiding?

Anyways, people are trying to have a basketball discussion in here, we've probably ruined it enough. Feel free to explain the hiding thing if you care to, or PM me or something, but otherwise I'm going to do some real hiding in this thread for awhile. I actually enjoy all the interesting b-ball talk that goes on in here (despite having little of value to add due to lack of b-ball knowledge).

Chief Rum 06-02-2009 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fidatelo (Post 2039661)
Umm... what? I don't get this whole hiding thing at all. Seriously. Any joke is hiding?

Anyways, people are trying to have a basketball discussion in here, we've probably ruined it enough. Feel free to explain the hiding thing if you care to, or PM me or something, but otherwise I'm going to do some real hiding in this thread for awhile. I actually enjoy all the interesting b-ball talk that goes on in here (despite having little of value to add due to lack of b-ball knowledge).

Well, as you can see above, I am already participating in all that. Feel free to join in.

Fidatelo 06-02-2009 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Rum (Post 2039664)
Well, as you can see above, I am already participating in all that. Feel free to join in.

Like I said, I enjoy reading the on topic posts, but I have nothing of value to add. I follow the NBA but don't really watch the games anymore, if that makes sense. For some reason the NBA has compelling drama, but the games no longer interest me. It's almost like wrestling in a way.

stevew 06-02-2009 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Rum (Post 2039653)
I think you're dreaming a little, steve. I don't think anyone will be willing to give a player like Szerbiak (sp) any decent money, even over just two years. And certainly not trade anything decent for him to get the chance to do it. Only way would be if someone was so overloaded contract-wise that a team was desperate to get rid of him.

Say...want Zach Randolph?

If the trade is Cavs players X and Y for players A, B, and C on another team, and the Cavs need to add 4 million to make the trade work, it wouldn't suprise me to see Wally get that contract. Especially if the other team needs to dump salary and ends up saving a lot of money in the long haul. So they get Wally for 4, 4.5(500k guaranteed, or whatever the minimum allowed guarantee is) and 5.0(none guaranteed).

I'd assume you know the NBA trading makes zero sense whatsoever.

DaddyTorgo 06-02-2009 12:26 AM

maybe i have an overinflated sense of Michael Redd's skill-level at this point and he's being horribly overpaid (he was an all-star only what...a couple seasons back?) but even given that it'd clear them a ton of room under the cap where is the incentive for the Bucks to trade him to Cleveland for the pile of horseshit that the poster above mentioned? i'd think they could at least get someone who'd be a #2 scoring option for them and a draft pick for him? instead of all those junky contracts and no real player

stevew 06-02-2009 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo (Post 2039691)
maybe i have an overinflated sense of Michael Redd's skill-level at this point and he's being horribly overpaid (he was an all-star only what...a couple seasons back?) but even given that it'd clear them a ton of room under the cap where is the incentive for the Bucks to trade him to Cleveland for the pile of horseshit that the poster above mentioned? i'd think they could at least get someone who'd be a #2 scoring option for them and a draft pick for him? instead of all those junky contracts and no real player

Hey, we got Moe Williams for a pile of horseshit and junky contracts.
The Celts got Ray Allen for a pile of horseshit, junky contracts and the 5th pick.

These things happen ;)

Chief Rum 06-02-2009 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevew (Post 2039684)
If the trade is Cavs players X and Y for players A, B, and C on another team, and the Cavs need to add 4 million to make the trade work, it wouldn't suprise me to see Wally get that contract. Especially if the other team needs to dump salary and ends up saving a lot of money in the long haul. So they get Wally for 4, 4.5(500k guaranteed, or whatever the minimum allowed guarantee is) and 5.0(none guaranteed).

I'd assume you know the NBA trading makes zero sense whatsoever.

Oh agreed, NBA trading in the salary cap era is abysmal and difficult to understand.

Still, I just don't see anyone giving Szczerbiak more money to do anything. Will they work a deal that includes his current deal or same money or whatever to make a deal work? I see that. But last I checked he was already way too massively overpaid on his current contract.

Plus, I don't see the Cavs trading away contracts for long term deals right now, for the simple reason that they have no idea if Lebron will be with them past 2010. If he's staying for sure, they do that sort of deal. But if they don't have him signed, they won't want to take the chance of signing two or three way overpaid players who will sink their roster for years to come after LeBron is gone. They would be in the edge of Knicks' territory then--way over the cap and no ability.

Speaking of which, did I mention the availability of Zach Randolph?

Chief Rum 06-02-2009 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevew (Post 2039700)
Hey, we got Moe Williams for a pile of horseshit and junky contracts.
The Celts got Ray Allen for a pile of horseshit, junky contracts and the 5th pick.

These things happen ;)

Wasn't Delonte West one of those piles of horseshit? :)

stevew 06-02-2009 12:46 AM

And lets be honest, who would be the best player the Cavs even get if they blocked LeBron tomorrow?

We're easily down to like the high teens to mid 20s on the latest
Bill Simmons Value Chart

Gary Gorski 06-02-2009 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arles (Post 2039586)
Marion's pretty washed up. He's been traded 3 times in 2 seasons and was basically an expiring contract in Toronto (with no sniff of an extension from the Raps). But, he could certainly be had for the MLE if Cleveland wants.

Word around Phoenix is that the Shaq for Wallace plus spare parts deal may come back (the rumored deal is Shaq for Wallace+Sasha+ a pick). It saves the Suns around $3 million and gets the Cavs a low post scorer. That's about the closest thing to a bigtime deal I can see Cleveland getting.

I don't think Marion is washed up - I think Marion is who he really is and that playing for D'Antoni just inflated his stats like it does for just about everyone.

Why would the Cavs want Shaq? Z is a plenty good center - if they need to get by Orlando they need someone who can play the 4 and defend the perimeter.

DaddyTorgo 06-02-2009 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Gorski (Post 2039793)
I don't think Marion is washed up - I think Marion is who he really is and that playing for D'Antoni just inflated his stats like it does for just about everyone.

Why would the Cavs want Shaq? Z is a plenty good center - if they need to get by Orlando they need someone who can play the 4 and defend the perimeter.

because Shaq is viewed as the "magical cure" for every team that feels they are just one piece away, even if Shaq isn't the logical piece. It's kind of funny really.

Neon_Chaos 06-02-2009 08:01 AM

Lakers in 5 games, anyone?

Gary Gorski 06-02-2009 08:02 AM

Quote:

The biggest incentive I could see would be if they wanted to sign Ramon Sessions. If the situation is you can afford to pay both Redd and Sessions then yeah, it doesn't make sense to trade him for little to nothing. But if you're going to lose Sessions unless you don't have to pay Redd anymore then it might be worth it.

RainMaker 06-02-2009 10:19 AM

Quote:

I like Redd's game but I don't think he's a star in the league. Poor man's Gilbert Arenas who can't defend and is not athletic enough to create his own shot. My issue with Redd would be long term. He essentially turns into a spot-up shooter in the coming years and nothing else. A good 3rd star on a quality team.

Honestly, if I'm the Bucks, I unload him and his contract if I can. He doesn't really fit Skiles style of play and is not worth his contract in my mind.

Big Fo 06-02-2009 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos (Post 2039812)
Lakers in 5 games, anyone?

Magic in seven.

MrBug708 06-02-2009 07:46 PM

years?

sterlingice 06-02-2009 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brassmonkey32 (Post 2040472)
The Lakers will beat the Magic in 5 games.

I believe I also said 5 or 6 at the most. I'm hoping I'm wrong, tho.

SI

MrBug708 06-02-2009 08:26 PM

I think the Magic can beat the Lakers at Staples, but I dont think they can win two games there. I dont think the Lakers can win two games down in Orlando either, but that probably wont be necessary

Chief Rum 06-03-2009 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sterlingice (Post 2040476)
I believe I also said 5 or 6 at the most. I'm hoping I'm wrong, tho.

SI

It's okay to hope for a sweep, SI! :D

sterlingice 06-03-2009 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Rum (Post 2040702)
It's okay to hope for a sweep, SI! :D

Well, you know that's what I was going for ;)

SI

Neon_Chaos 06-04-2009 08:19 PM

Good game, so far. Very physical.

Bynum has played well in the opening 6 minutes. He will be key to a Lakers championship.

MrBug708 06-04-2009 08:31 PM

And Howard goes to the bench

Big Fo 06-04-2009 08:45 PM

Hell of a start for Jameer Nelson.

Neon_Chaos 06-04-2009 08:50 PM

Courtney Lee is being exposed as a compelte liability on defense for the Magic.

k0ruptr 06-04-2009 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Fo (Post 2042155)
Hell of a start for Jameer Nelson.

Word, hes a spark plug he is.

Groundhog 06-04-2009 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos (Post 2042156)
Courtney Lee is being exposed as a compelte liability on defense for the Magic.

He's generally a good defender, but he's never been matched up with a guy like Kobe in a situation like this, and it shows. In the first Q Kobe could basically post him up and spin baseline at will.

Neon_Chaos 06-04-2009 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groundhog (Post 2042168)
He's generally a good defender, but he's never been matched up with a guy like Kobe in a situation like this, and it shows. In the first Q Kobe could basically post him up and spin baseline at will.

Luke Walton did so, as well.

MrBug708 06-04-2009 09:37 PM

To be fair, Phil has been saving Walton for three years, for that exact moment

MrBug708 06-04-2009 09:51 PM

Oh my Kobe

Gary Gorski 06-04-2009 09:52 PM

Lebron has to be watching this and wondering would it would be like to have guys like Gasol and Odom for teammates :)

Neon_Chaos 06-07-2009 09:28 PM

The Magic threes are finally falling in, and it's a close one right now with the game winding down.

Eaglesfan27 06-07-2009 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos (Post 2043508)
The Magic threes are finally falling in, and it's a close one right now with the game winding down.

Back to back great plays by Lewis and Turkoglu. If the Magic can hold on, I like their chances to take this in 6.

Noop 06-07-2009 09:38 PM

Lakers with the stop and now have a chance to win. Ariza for the win.

Neon_Chaos 06-07-2009 09:38 PM

Here we go.

Eaglesfan27 06-07-2009 09:40 PM

Great stop on Kobe!

DaddyTorgo 06-07-2009 09:40 PM

great block from behind by the big Turk!!

Neon_Chaos 06-07-2009 09:40 PM

Great defensive play by Turkoglu.

sterlingice 06-07-2009 09:40 PM

Wow. What a block. All ball, too!

SI

Noop 06-07-2009 09:40 PM

Ariza was wide open Kobe.

Neon_Chaos 06-07-2009 09:41 PM

Alley-oop to Howard?

Neon_Chaos 06-07-2009 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noop (Post 2043527)
Ariza was wide open Kobe.

So were Odom and Fisher. But come on, like there was any doubt who would shoot it. :)

sterlingice 06-07-2009 09:42 PM

Even if Turkoglu hadn't blocked that, looks like Howard was right there in front and would have.

SI

Noop 06-07-2009 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos (Post 2043530)
So were Odom and Fisher. But come on, like there was any doubt who would shoot it. :)

I know but damn i wanted my prediction to be right.

:D

Neon_Chaos 06-07-2009 09:45 PM

HOLY SHIT.

Whew.

Two big misses by Lee in crunch time.

sterlingice 06-07-2009 09:45 PM

Man, great play but just missed it

SI

Big Fo 06-07-2009 09:45 PM

Damn Lee two missed layups in the last few minutes...

DaddyTorgo 06-07-2009 09:45 PM

fuck - courtney lee had it there for the taking!

Noop 06-07-2009 09:45 PM

What a great play if only Lee could have finished.

larrymcg421 06-07-2009 09:45 PM

Great defense by Gasol on that shot.

Neon_Chaos 06-07-2009 09:48 PM

Odom and Bynum both have 5 fouls each. It could get iffy for the Lakers.