Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   FOFC Archive (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   American Idol 2008 (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=63788)

Ksyrup 05-07-2008 12:28 PM

Maroon 5 and Bo Bice!

Scoobz0202 05-07-2008 08:01 PM

Man.. Just for the hell of it, I really hope castro doesn't get voted out just to see Simon's head explode.

MJ4H 05-07-2008 08:11 PM

I don't particularly care for Ryan saying "we have drama tonight" right off the bat.

Scoobz0202 05-07-2008 08:32 PM

"What is the biggest challenge you have had to overcome?"

Castro: " The brain being dead. "

I wonder how many drugs he has done in his life so far :D

Scoobz0202 05-07-2008 08:35 PM

mmm.. Maroon 5.. Wonder how the basketball game is going..

Mustang 05-07-2008 09:07 PM

That is the happiest person I've ever seen kicked off the show.

Scoobz0202 05-07-2008 09:10 PM

Yeah... While he still didn't sound that good he definitely was sporting the Marley happy, positive, and just all around laid back, attitude that you should have when doing Marley.

EagleFan 05-07-2008 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 (Post 1723851)
Yeah... While he still didn't sound that good he definitely was sporting the Marley happy, positive, and just all around laid back, attitude that you should have when doing Marley.

But Marley didn't have bodies buried in his basement...

Ksyrup 05-07-2008 11:09 PM

Only listened to about 30 seconds of Bo Bice before we FF through, but damn...WTF happened to his voice?! He had some affected, out of tune vocal going on there. That dude was clearly a pretender.

Rizon 05-07-2008 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 1723907)
Only listened to about 30 seconds of Bo Bice before we FF through, but damn...WTF happened to his voice?!

Not been the same since about week 8 of a few years ago.

Eaglesfan27 05-08-2008 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman (Post 1723779)
I don't particularly care for Ryan saying "we have drama tonight" right off the bat.

What is he supposed to say, "Tonight as you all expect, Castro gets kicked off."

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mustang (Post 1723848)
That is the happiest person I've ever seen kicked off the show.

Agreed. I think his anxiety was getting to him and he just wanted to leave. At least, he has that in common with a lot of AI watchers. Interesting, that they cut his exit song off much quicker than most contestants.

Eaglesfan27 05-08-2008 06:57 AM

Dola -

What was also interesting at the beginning, was that he said that the top 3 last night were all within a million votes of each other. Syesha had a lot more votes that I would have guessed, but I imagine a lot of the teen girls voting for Castro will go to either of the Davids and she'll still have no shot to advance next week.

Ksyrup 05-08-2008 07:34 AM

DI was pretty well on point with the voting estimates. And yeah, as much as I'd like to see Syesha pull the upset, I don't think she has a shot because Castro's voting block will go to the David's first. She's in a no-win situation next week. But considering I wouldn't have minded her going home week 8 or so, she really came on strong and should be happy with how this played out.

MJ4H 05-08-2008 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 (Post 1723943)
What is he supposed to say, "Tonight as you all expect, Castro gets kicked off."

Nothing.

The point is that most of the time he actually goes out of the way to mention drama right in the opening, it is a surprise vote-off. Since it was such an obvious one tonight, and anyone but Jason would've been a monster upset, it just had me worried based on precedent.

Dr. Sak 05-08-2008 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman (Post 1723991)
Nothing.

The point is that most of the time he actually goes out of the way to mention drama right in the opening, it is a surprise vote-off. Since it was such an obvious one tonight, and anyone but Jason would've been a monster upset, it just had me worried based on precedent.

Well he did his job, he kept you hooked and watching to see if there was a monster upset.

Subby 05-08-2008 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 1723907)
Only listened to about 30 seconds of Bo Bice before we FF through, but damn...WTF happened to his voice?! He had some affected, out of tune vocal going on there. That dude was clearly a pretender.

You should have stuck around. That was a great song.

MJ4H 05-08-2008 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsak16 (Post 1723992)
Well he did his job, he kept you hooked and watching to see if there was a monster upset.

Oh, I have no problem with that. All I was saying was it made me slightly nervous.

Ksyrup 05-08-2008 10:26 AM

This was the first week Dial Idol had the bottom person in red, meaning Castro was certain to go home. And even if you didn't know that, about 2 minutes later, Seacrest said that the top 3 people were within a million votes of each other, and there was no way Castro could have been one of them. I wouldn't be shocked if Syesha was actually #2 and Archie #3, but they put her in the bottom 2 again.

Pumpy Tudors 05-08-2008 10:30 AM

Do any of you guys ever vote for an AI contestant? Have you ever at all? I believe my wife voted once for Clay Aiken and once for Chris Daughtry, and that was it. She absolutely loved Blake Lewis last season, and she didn't even vote for him.

I've got nothing against the people who vote. I just have a hard time imagining who these millions of people are who are actually taking the time to do it.

Ksyrup 05-08-2008 10:56 AM

I have voted once, for Bo Bice when he did that a capella Badlands song. I was blown away that he knew the song and had the nads to bring it to AI and do it a capella.

I've been to a few blogs where the voters hang out. They are crazy/devoted to these people. They talk about using their allotted 1,000 votes in particular ways. It's insane.

MJ4H 05-08-2008 10:58 AM

I have never voted. My wife has voted a few times. Not this season. Pretty sure she voted several times for frikin Taylor Hicks.

Dr. Sak 05-08-2008 10:59 AM

I voted for Carrie Underwood.

Draft Dodger 05-08-2008 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 1724166)
I have voted once, for Bo Bice when he did that a capella Badlands song. I was blown away that he knew the song and had the nads to bring it to AI and do it a capella.

Jake E Lee Badlands? That would blow me away too...

Ksyrup 05-08-2008 11:31 AM

He did In a Dream on the Top 3 show.

Kodos 05-08-2008 11:35 AM

My wife has voted for David Cook a few times this season.

INDalltheway 05-08-2008 11:43 AM

I only watched the show a few times this season and voted for a family friend that was on the show. That is the only reason I would have even watched it in the first place.

Eaglesfan27 05-08-2008 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kodos (Post 1724221)
My wife has voted for David Cook a few times this season.

Same here for my wife. She has also voted for Blake Lewis and Daughtry a few times.

Jim G. 05-08-2008 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors (Post 1724136)
Do any of you guys ever vote for an AI contestant? Have you ever at all? I believe my wife voted once for Clay Aiken and once for Chris Daughtry, and that was it. She absolutely loved Blake Lewis last season, and she didn't even vote for him.

I've got nothing against the people who vote. I just have a hard time imagining who these millions of people are who are actually taking the time to do it.

I have a couple of times over the years. I voted for Mikalah Gordon, because she was funny and I thought it would be nice to see her continue in a VoteForTheWorst sense. I thought that was a bad season and there wasn't anyone to get behind.

I voted for Leslie Hunt in the early rounds last season, because she mentioned Imogen Heap as a primary influence and I thought she had potential.

This season, I voted for Brooke White until she started to suck and kept back-talking the judges.

By voting, I throw in maybe five votes while I'm working on the write-up.

My wife has thrown in a few votes for David Cook, because he's from Missouri and she likes his music.

Subby 05-08-2008 05:41 PM

I voted for Fantasia a number of times. She's still my favorite contestant of all time...

Lathum 05-08-2008 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subby (Post 1724610)
I voted for Fantasia a number of times. She's still my favorite contestant of all time...

:confused:

Danny 05-08-2008 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by INDalltheway (Post 1724228)
I only watched the show a few times this season and voted for a family friend that was on the show. That is the only reason I would have even watched it in the first place.

Sanjaya?

Mota 05-08-2008 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors (Post 1723031)
I hope Discovery HD is showing animals shitting tonight.

I scheduled my nightly one to avoid as much of the elimination show as possible. I am so sick and tired of these mediocre singers that I have no interest in watching anymore.

Mota 05-08-2008 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 1724166)

One of the greatest AI performances ever. I have the Badlands recording on cassette, LOL.

Ksyrup 05-09-2008 06:50 AM

Now I know why I haven't watched late night talk shows (Leno in particular) since the early 90s - Jason Castro and Huey Lewis do a little skit. Now THIS is some might fine com-o-dee right here!

&nbsp

rjolley 05-09-2008 07:48 AM

Almost cracked a smile during that.

Almost.

Ksyrup 05-09-2008 01:29 PM

Top 3 spoiler (David Cook)

Spoiler

Mustang 05-09-2008 05:41 PM

If that is the song by Cowell, that is a 'If you can make people like this one, you deserve to win'. What, they couldn't get the rights to "Loving You" by Minnie Ripperton?

Ksyrup 05-10-2008 10:05 AM

David Archuleta's dad loses 'American Idol' backstage pass
May 10 06:44 AM US/Eastern

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Backstage meddling has caught up "American Idol" favorite David Archuleta's dad, who's been banned from rehearsals, a person working for the TV talent contest said Friday.

Jeff Archuleta was told this week by producers that he can no longer join 17-year-old son as David as he prepares for the show, the person familiar with the matter told The Associated Press. The person wasn't authorized to comment publicly and spoke on the condition of anonymity.

The show's action was first reported Friday by the online Web site TMZ.

David Archuleta of Murray, Utah, is one of three contestants left as the top-rated Fox show heads toward the Jan. 20-21 finale. The fresh- faced teenager with the big voice has consistently been deemed a front-runner by the judges and been a consistent fan favorite.

Jeff Archuleta's intense backstage involvement had become a source of concern for the series, the person connected with "American Idol" said—but it was a lyric change on Tuesday's show that pushed producers to act.

Despite a warning, Jeff Archuleta insisted on altering "Stand by Me," one of two songs his son sang on the show Tuesday. By adding a verse from Sean Kingston's "Beautiful Girls," the father incurred additional costs for "American Idol," the person said.

Fox declined comment. Attempts to reach Jeff Archuleta for comment were unsuccessful. A phone number listed under his name in Murray, Utah, was no longer in service, and Fox did not immediately respond to a request Friday evening for help in contacting the family.

Earlier Friday, David Archuleta was honored at a hometown celebration held at his high school in Murray, during which Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman declared "David Archuleta Day."

The singer and his family declined to be interviewed at the event, but David Archuleta did speak with the Salt Lake City Fox affiliate, KSTU- TV. "Wow," he exclaimed as he viewed the cheerleading squad outside his stretch limousine.

The other finalists left in competition for the "Idol" title and a record contract are David Cook and Syesha Mercado. Cook, a native of suburban Blue Springs, Mo., had his own homecoming celebration Friday in Kansas City, while Mercado was feted Bradenton, Fla.

MJ4H 05-10-2008 10:17 AM

The singer and his family declined to be interviewed at the event, but David Archuleta did speak with the Salt Lake City Fox affiliate, KSTU- TV. "Wow," he exclaimed as he viewed the cheerleading squad outside his stretch limousine.

hahahahaha

rowech 05-10-2008 10:24 AM

I wondered why he changed the lyrics and I'd be pissed as hell if the I was a producer and now had to pay royalties on two songs rather than just one. How is that even playing by the rules of the show really?

Ajaxab 05-10-2008 03:08 PM

I guess now we know who is winding the big silver thing on David A's back. If Dad can't get backstage or to rehearsal, who's going to be able to get the wind-up doll ready?

Arles 05-10-2008 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 1725542)
David Archuleta's dad, who's been banned from rehearsals, a person working for the TV talent contest said Friday.

Jeff Archuleta was told this week by producers that he can no longer join 17-year-old son as David as he prepares for the show, the person familiar with the matter told The Associated Press. The person wasn't authorized to comment publicly and spoke on the condition of anonymity.

I think it's obvious why Jeff has become an issue. He's actually Danny Bonaduce incognito:

Jeff:

Danny:

Mustang 05-10-2008 09:15 PM

Damn shame. Painfully obvious that he has been coached up just given the nature of the songs that he sings and how he sings them.

Just like to know at what point do parents cross that line between nuturing a child's ability to living vicariously through them. Seems like it is easier to do with talents that might have a monetary payoff at the end (like athletics) than it would be say sculpting.. or if it was a skill that the parents weren't familiar with or have done themselves.

would be interesting to see what would happen if he was voted off this week... I smell lawsuit. "Oh, you screwed his chances up because I couldn't coach him properly during rehearsal!!!"

Ksyrup 05-13-2008 07:01 AM

Updated spoilers for tonight:

Spoiler

Buccaneer 05-13-2008 08:50 AM

Why did the judges pick songs within Syesha and A's wheelhouse but something totally off for Cook?

rjolley 05-13-2008 08:59 AM

Actually, I think that can be done very well by Cook. Doesn't seem to be at first glance, but with what he's done with other songs, I could see him doing very well with it.

Syesha's song is a great fit for her, though. Can't remember A's song to know if it's a great fit for him, so I'll take your word for it.

Arles 05-13-2008 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buccaneer (Post 1727065)
Why did the judges pick songs within Syesha and A's wheelhouse but something totally off for Cook?

I'm guessing because they want it to be competitive. It's like having Pujols and two double A guys in a HR derby. You better have Gaylord Perry on the mound when Pujols bats.

Ksyrup 05-13-2008 03:33 PM

Update on Archie's choice:

Spoiler

Ksyrup 05-13-2008 04:23 PM

One more update (Syesha's songs). Only missing Cook's producers' choice.

Spoiler

MJ4H 05-13-2008 07:06 PM

David Archuleta is a pleasure to listen to.