Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   FOFC Archive (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   The OFFICIAL NHL 2009-10 Offseason Thread (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=73012)

Travis 06-23-2009 02:25 PM

As much as I'd love to see Bouwmeester end up here, the only way it happens is if the Oilers deal two of Visnovsky, Souray and Gilbert. Personally I'm all for that. Souray being a big time sell high candidate and while I like Visnovsky's skill set, I'd rather see them keep Gilbert unless whatever deal they're looking to make requires them to throw in Gilbert rather than Souray or Lubo.

At this point I'm expecting at least 2 "big" moves out of the Oilers, possibly 3. One should be going after a top tier sniper (yes I'm looking at you Heatley) and my assumption is one D would be going back the other way. Second is for a goalie, though a lot of how that plays out will come down to how much Quinn likes Deslauriers and Dubnyk and whether the Oil are pursuing Gustavsson or not. This is probably where they'll look to free agency unless they want to make a huge splash, so I'm not assuming a D will get moved here (though obviously not out of the question). Last would be to move up in the draft from the #10 spot and that would be a prime chance to include a puck mover on the back end to sweeten the pot.

Oilers need to jettison some of their blue line salary in a big way. With Grebeshkov and Smid both due for raises, no way they can even think about Bouwmeester unless they have those other deals in place. If they do try to make it happen and only move one of the big three I'd have to assume that the trade for a sniper won't take place until during next season which could change a lot of player values a lot, so hard to guess who might go for what until much later.

MikeVic 06-23-2009 03:05 PM

It would be nice if the Oilers did something big. I don't follow very closely, but I still follow... I had a guy ask me who the Oilers' goalie was and I didn't even know. I thought it was still Rolosson.

johnnyshaka 06-23-2009 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeVic (Post 2055916)
It would be nice if the Oilers did something big. I don't follow very closely, but I still follow... I had a guy ask me who the Oilers' goalie was and I didn't even know. I thought it was still Rolosson.

Don't worry, nobody knows.

RomaGoth 06-23-2009 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyshaka (Post 2055933)
Don't worry, nobody knows.

+1

Maple Leafs 06-23-2009 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeVic (Post 2055916)

In a few days it will be Vesa Toskala, but try to act surprised.

RomaGoth 06-23-2009 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maple Leafs (Post 2055969)
In a few days it will be Vesa Toskala, but try to act surprised.

:eek: Toskala to Edmonton? :eek:

Maple Leafs 06-23-2009 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RomaGoth (Post 2055974)
:eek: Toskala to Edmonton? :eek:

Hey, they said the Oilers wanted to do something big. This would be big.

Wait, did they mean "big" as in "positive"?

MikeVic 06-23-2009 04:40 PM

No please no Toskala. You can keep him. I'd rather sign... CuJo?

RomaGoth 06-23-2009 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeVic (Post 2055982)
No please no Toskala. You can keep him. I'd rather sign... CuJo?

You missed out on some guy named Ray Emery...

Honolulu_Blue 06-23-2009 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maple Leafs (Post 2055979)
Hey, they said the Oilers wanted to do something big. This would be big.

Wait, did they mean "big" as in "positive"?

If they meant "big" as in "large", shouldn't they just go for the whole enchilada and make a deal for Kyle Wellwood? (Assuming Kyle hadn't already eaten the enchilada, of course.)

johnnyshaka 06-23-2009 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue (Post 2055994)
If they meant "big" as in "large", shouldn't they just go for the whole enchilada and make a deal for Kyle Wellwood? (Assuming Kyle hadn't already eaten the enchilada, of course.)

We've already got a fat, lazy, overpaid, bum...Fred Penner...errrrr...I mean, Dustin.

General Mike 06-23-2009 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm (Post 2054598)
20% off at NHL Shop.

Code: AFFTP7 (case sensitive)

Good thru 6/30/09

Yeah, the stuff is overpriced to begin with, but I thought you guys might want to stock up on your 2009 Cup Champs gear.

:p

Thanks.

Suburban Rhythm 06-23-2009 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RomaGoth (Post 2055820)
Most likely in his hometown of Edmonton. If not there, then probably NY Rangers or even Colorado. Just purely guesses on my part though.

I don't think NYR have the cap space. They'd need to move one of Redden Rozsival, Drury or Gomez....and that's not happening. At least not without the other team sending alot of cap clutter back, which still leaves them with no space.

Colorado...don't see that, only because they will struggle. If he is truthful in that he wants to win, and that's why he's leaving Florida, then Colorado is probably out.

Philly wants him badly, but until they move Randy Jones and Joffrey Lupul (a combine $7M in cap space) that's unlikely as well.

I could see Columbus make a big push for him. He'd fit there perfectly, and it's a team on the rise. Minnesota has space too. But, the Wild typically doesn't go after big names.

So that leaves...Detroit, who will sign him to a 16 year, $92M deal, $4.5M cap hit.

Chief Rum 06-23-2009 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyshaka (Post 2055995)
We've already got a fat, lazy, overpaid, bum...Fred Penner...errrrr...I mean, Dustin.

:lol:

Maple Leafs 06-23-2009 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue (Post 2055994)

Making fun of somebody for being overweight is hurtful and wrong.

Wolfpack 06-24-2009 12:01 AM

First minor rumbling for Carolina on their players as Jim Rutherford all-but-officially said that Dennis Seidenberg is gone based on the salary expectations that Seidenberg and his agent were looking at. JR was semi-touting Frank Kaberle and his millstone no-trade contract as a viable replacement (though most Carolina fans are desperately hoping he'll play in the KHL or elsewhere overseas next year). If Kaberle is also gone, that leaves Carolina with five D's under contract, so they'll definitely be doing some shopping (even if he stays, they'd still go shopping, but at a pretty reduced budget).

One positive of Seidenberg leaving is that it increases the likelihood that Carolina has more room to re-sign LaRose, Ruutu, and Jokinen if they want (personally, I do want to keep those three for various reasons). I wouldn't mind Cole staying, either, but after that brief burst of great play after getting back to Raleigh, he pretty much disappeared statistically, especially in the playoffs. He'll have to take about a 50% pay cut or more for it to make sense for him to stay here again based on recent performance.

Pyser 06-24-2009 01:52 AM

i know no one here cares about the devils, but seriously, what sutter just did is very fucked up. and the devils get screwed since the cba prevents teams from getting compensation from coaches. extremely dangerous precedent was just set. contracts mean nothing for coaches.

RomaGoth 06-24-2009 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm (Post 2056080)
I don't think NYR have the cap space. They'd need to move one of Redden Rozsival, Drury or Gomez....and that's not happening. At least not without the other team sending alot of cap clutter back, which still leaves them with no space.

Colorado...don't see that, only because they will struggle. If he is truthful in that he wants to win, and that's why he's leaving Florida, then Colorado is probably out.

Philly wants him badly, but until they move Randy Jones and Joffrey Lupul (a combine $7M in cap space) that's unlikely as well.

I could see Columbus make a big push for him. He'd fit there perfectly, and it's a team on the rise. Minnesota has space too. But, the Wild typically doesn't go after big names.

So that leaves...Detroit, who will sign him to a 16 year, $92M deal, $4.5M cap hit.

Let us not forget that the Isles were the first ones to pull this crap with long-term contracts. Detroit is just smarter about it. I would love to see Bouwmeester wearing the winged wheel, but that is highly unlikely.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyser (Post 2056466)
i know no one here cares about the devils

nobody anywhere cares about the devils

Quote:

Originally Posted by pyser
but seriously, what sutter just did is very fucked up. and the devils get screwed since the cba prevents teams from getting compensation from coaches. extremely dangerous precedent was just set. contracts mean nothing for coaches.

I agree. He screwed them and left without even leaving a note on the nightstand. I hope that in the next CBA there is something added to include this kind of garbage from coaches, or there will be a lot more of it in the future.

Fidatelo 06-24-2009 02:14 PM

I love these long contracts. I can't wait until 2014 when half the league has 1-2 players that have 6 or 7 years remaining on a contract that assumed they were going to maintain a level of production that they no longer can attain. Has no one in an NHL front office watched the NBA over the last decade? Signing someone to a deal over 5 years is an absolute crapshoot, it doesn't matter who the person is.

RomaGoth 06-24-2009 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fidatelo (Post 2056949)
Has no one in an NHL front office watched the NBA over the last decade?

No they have not, or the NHL would have a better tv contract than the Vs. network and it would not lag behind other exciting sporting events such as WSOP and World's Strong Man Competition. Fucking Bettman.

Pumpy Tudors 06-24-2009 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RomaGoth (Post 2056703)
nobody anywhere cares about the devils

ice cold

Suburban Rhythm 06-24-2009 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfpack (Post 2056447)
First minor rumbling for Carolina on their players as Jim Rutherford all-but-officially said that Dennis Seidenberg is gone based on the salary expectations that Seidenberg and his agent were looking at. JR was semi-touting Frank Kaberle and his millstone no-trade contract as a viable replacement (though most Carolina fans are desperately hoping he'll play in the KHL or elsewhere overseas next year). If Kaberle is also gone, that leaves Carolina with five D's under contract, so they'll definitely be doing some shopping (even if he stays, they'd still go shopping, but at a pretty reduced budget).

One positive of Seidenberg leaving is that it increases the likelihood that Carolina has more room to re-sign LaRose, Ruutu, and Jokinen if they want (personally, I do want to keep those three for various reasons). I wouldn't mind Cole staying, either, but after that brief burst of great play after getting back to Raleigh, he pretty much disappeared statistically, especially in the playoffs. He'll have to take about a 50% pay cut or more for it to make sense for him to stay here again based on recent performance.

What is Seidenberg asking for?

He's a potential replacement for Rob Scuderi, who I am feeling more and more is gone. Seidenberg won't be as good as Scuds was in a PK and shutdown role, but he can do other things...like actually handle the puck.

I'd be curious about Jokinen in Pittsburgh if he wasn't asking alot. He'd be a (relatively) cheap option with Sid or Geno.

I really like Larose as a player, but with Kennedy and Talbot, and lesser degree Cooke, we have too many guys that do what he does.

Tekneek 06-24-2009 05:54 PM

I found something cool while perusing some player profiles for the draft.

Victor Hedman is the top rated European (by CSB) and lists Football Manager as his favorite game.

NHL.com - NHL Entry Draft Prospect Profiles: Hedman, Victor

Video Game: FM '08 and FM '09

Tekneek 06-24-2009 06:08 PM

NHL.com - NHL Entry Draft Prospect Profiles: Erixon, Tim

Video Game: Eastside Hockey Manager

Ajaxab 06-24-2009 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tekneek (Post 2057232)

Nice finds Tekneek. It tells you a lot about a person if they identify their favorite game as FM or EHM.

Draft Dodger 06-24-2009 07:22 PM

fake Brian Burke was Puck Daddy's #2 hockey blog story of the season
The Year in Hockey Blogs: Top 10 stories, trends and scandals - Puck Daddy - NHL - Yahoo! Sports

sterlingice 06-24-2009 08:08 PM

I keep forgetting to read DGB. Quality stuff every time and I end up spending an hour or two catching up.

SI

Dr. Sak 06-24-2009 08:23 PM

Bruins and Flyers will be playing in Fenway on Jan 1st.

Maple Leafs 06-24-2009 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draft Dodger (Post 2057280)
fake Brian Burke was Puck Daddy's #2 hockey blog story of the season
The Year in Hockey Blogs: Top 10 stories, trends and scandals - Puck Daddy - NHL - Yahoo! Sports

Because God forbid the Leafs ever win anything...

Draft Dodger 06-24-2009 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maple Leafs (Post 2057327)
Because God forbid the Leafs ever win anything...

:)

Maple Leafs 06-24-2009 09:34 PM

Two recent statistical looks at drafting success, both of which come to the surprising conclusion that the Red Wings are bad at it.

Detroit isn't that great at Drafting (and other secrets): Draft Analysis*1994-2009 - Pension Plan Puppets

A New Approach to Which NHL Teams Draft Best? (1999-2005) - Bird Watchers Anonymous

Wolfpack 06-24-2009 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm (Post 2057191)
What is Seidenberg asking for?

He's a potential replacement for Rob Scuderi, who I am feeling more and more is gone. Seidenberg won't be as good as Scuds was in a PK and shutdown role, but he can do other things...like actually handle the puck.

I'd be curious about Jokinen in Pittsburgh if he wasn't asking alot. He'd be a (relatively) cheap option with Sid or Geno.

I really like Larose as a player, but with Kennedy and Talbot, and lesser degree Cooke, we have too many guys that do what he does.

I don't know what Seids's number is, but as JR put it, "Based on my conversation with his agent, and where they think he's at, he's a long way out of our reach." He made $1.2 mill last year. Also bear in mind that "out of our reach" in Carolina means something different than elsewhere as we aren't going to be spending up to the cap (probably at least $5-6 million under at best), so I'm guessing he went up to $2.5-3 mill or something in that range. Given that Carolina had $40 million on the books already, it was going to be hard to keep him, LaRose, Jokinen, Ruutu, Cole, et al, together anyway.

This won't really change anything in terms of whether Carolina becomes a serious buyer in free agency, though. I'm guessing they may try to make a run at someone, either at a wing position (if they don't take Cole back) or a d-man. Otherwise, they'll probably look to the AHL and the fairly good young talent in Albany to replenish things.

RomaGoth 06-25-2009 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maple Leafs (Post 2057381)
Two recent statistical looks at drafting success, both of which come to the surprising conclusion that the Red Wings are bad at it.

Detroit isn't that great at Drafting (and other secrets): Draft Analysis*1994-2009 - Pension Plan Puppets

A New Approach to Which NHL Teams Draft Best? (1999-2005) - Bird Watchers Anonymous

While I admit that I am a Red Wings homer, and I also admit that the spread sheets I looked at make very little sense to me, I am also wondering where some of the other players are that the Wings drafted? It appears that this article looks at Zetterberg and Datsyuk only. Jiri Fischer was a very good d-man before his career ended prematurely. What about Hudler? Filpulla? Franzen? I realize that most of these players have probably not reached the 200 game mark yet, but still...

I still believe that the Wings are a great drafting team. Focusing on one or two specific rounds is not going to change that fact.

RomaGoth 06-25-2009 09:00 AM

Dola

Came across some things that I will put here that somewhat validates what I said earlier about the Wings drafting...

Quote:

The other thing that needs to be pointed out with Detroit is that their development system is so good because players take a long time to make the NHL. If Kronwall, Filpulla, and Hudler had been playing for Florida, all three would have over 300 games in the NHL by now, and players like Mowers and Helm would have been in the NHL a year and a half ago. They take it slow and it works, but it also negatively impacts on the stats you’re examining.

Quote:

Detroit is a hard beast to gauge because of all these factors. But then again the same arguments can be made in reverse to some of the other organizations. I.E would so and so have made it through on another team?
The Tool is awesome to look back at the Data, but drafting really is a hard thing to qualify as there are so many variable factors from team to team.

Perhaps they are lucky in the later rounds, but they still have to spot the talent in the first place. It is disappointing, however, to see all of the first round flame outs in the past decade (Wallin, Kusnetsov, etc.).

Mike Lowe 06-25-2009 10:19 AM

Yeah, the Red Wings seriously need to reexamine the way they've been running their franchise.

Sincerely,

4 Stanley Cups since 1997

DeToxRox 06-25-2009 11:09 AM

I'd say scouting as a whole, Detroit takes the cake.

Just look at guys like Danny Cleary and Samuelsson. They were casted away and both were integral parts of the team. They always seem to find guys like that and put them in the best position to win which is why they're so successful.

Fidatelo 06-25-2009 11:30 AM

I'm not sure if it's scouting so much as player development. It seems like Detroit just knows how to properly bring a player along from prospect to pro, giving them a better than average chance to be successful. If you put talented people in the right scenarios and support them in effective ways, they will often succeed.

DeToxRox 06-25-2009 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fidatelo (Post 2057794)
I'm not sure if it's scouting so much as player development. It seems like Detroit just knows how to properly bring a player along from prospect to pro, giving them a better than average chance to be successful. If you put talented people in the right scenarios and support them in effective ways, they will often succeed.

This is it in a nutshell.

The experience a guy can get from 2-3 years as a featured guy in the AHL who gets 20 minutes a night is sometimes better then being a 4th line guy in the NHL playing 5-6 minutes a night in a checking role.

Detroit doesn't rush guys and let's them develop at their own pace. They however also have that luxury because they don't need their young kids to step in and be stars right away.

Honolulu_Blue 06-25-2009 02:21 PM

So the latest rumor was: Frolov, another player, 5th over all pick for Heatley.

Hrmmm....

Tekneek 06-25-2009 02:25 PM

I understand why teams would trade for Heatley. They are willing to take his offensive ability on, while having no heart or dedication. I wish they were willing to take a stand and force him to get over himself or retire, but that isn't the way they think.

DataKing 06-25-2009 02:26 PM

Hey Blue, I think you should add "1st Ballot Hall of Fame Inductee" to your sig. :D

Honolulu_Blue 06-25-2009 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DataKing (Post 2058110)
Hey Blue, I think you should add "1st Ballot Hall of Fame Inductee" to your sig. :D

Thanks for reminding me. I started to do it the other day and then completely forgot what I was doing and why.

RomaGoth 06-25-2009 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tekneek (Post 2058108)
I understand why teams would trade for Heatley. They are willing to take his offensive ability on, while having no heart or dedication. I wish they were willing to take a stand and force him to get over himself or retire, but that isn't the way they think.

This is why the Kings will never be seriously competitive. Why take on a guy like Heatley, who is clearly a selfish player with a questionable work ethic?

RomaGoth 06-25-2009 02:49 PM

Fedorov off to Russia, in case anyone didn't see this coming.

Sergei Fedorov, leaves Washington Capitals, signs two-year deal with Russian club Metallurg Magnitogorsk - ESPN

DataKing 06-25-2009 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RomaGoth (Post 2058184)

Knew this was coming, but it's still a shame. Sergei's always been one of my favorite offensive players to watch. He may have lost a step when it comes to pure speed, but he's still one of the strongest skaters in the game...Ovechkin's gonna miss him.

johnnyshaka 06-25-2009 03:06 PM

Is that the team his brother is playing for? If so, makes a lot of sense.

bbor 06-25-2009 03:21 PM

I find Feds amazing.......not many players can switch from Forward to defence at a drop of a hat and play at the high level he does.Defence to forward i can see as it is a lot easier...but F to D is really tough.

bbor 06-26-2009 11:09 AM

Crazy Leaf trade rumour that i heard...well crazy for the Leafs IMHO...Kaberle and Leafs 1st for Kessel.

Kessel is a good player,but really....An extremely affordable #2 D-man and a 1st rounder for him...i think not.

MikeVic 06-26-2009 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbor (Post 2058281)
I find Feds amazing.......not many players can switch from Forward to defence at a drop of a hat and play at the high level he does.Defence to forward i can see as it is a lot easier...but F to D is really tough.

Yeah, that impressed me a lot. I thought I misunderstood when I saw him play D.

RomaGoth 06-26-2009 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbor (Post 2059211)
Crazy Leaf trade rumour that i heard...well crazy for the Leafs IMHO...Kaberle and Leafs 1st for Kessel.

Kessel is a good player,but really....An extremely affordable #2 D-man and a 1st rounder for him...i think not.

bbor, meet toronto maple leafs;

toronto maple leafs, meet bbor.