Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   FOFC Archive (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Its' Here! NHL 2007-2008 Regular Season Thread (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=61204)

Galaxy 04-02-2008 07:59 PM

Let's go Devils, Pens and whoever is playing Carolina.

Maple Leafs 04-02-2008 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain2711 (Post 1698078)
They looked for like 10 minutes and there was just no view of it.

That's odd. There was a similar play in last night's Sabres/Leafs game (puck clearly in based on the laws of physics, but no actual view of it) and it was called a goal.

Captain2711 04-02-2008 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maple Leafs (Post 1698081)
That's odd. There was a similar play in last night's Sabres/Leafs game (puck clearly in based on the laws of physics, but no actual view of it) and it was called a goal.

With the NHL, does that surprise you? They are so inconsistent with everything from suspensions to replays.

Wolfpack 04-02-2008 09:42 PM

Canes bounce back from a horrid loss in DC with a 6-2 whipping of the Bolts at home tonight (sorry to disappoint the various parties rooting against Carolina... :D ).

So, it comes down to Friday at home against Florida. Win and they clinch the Southeast and the #3 seed. Lose, and they'll need a Washington loss (if they don't lose tomorrow night--and they shouldn't since Tampa's coming to town on a back-to-back) or a bit of help by other teams in the conference against Boston and Philadelphia (even Ottawa?). They got a little bit of that help tonight with the Bruins losing in a shootout and Philly losing outright, which moves them into a tie with Boston and Ottawa at 92 points and Philly one back. However all those teams have a game in hand.

Not feeling comfortable, but feeling a heck of a lot better than I did 24 hours ago.

Suburban Rhythm 04-03-2008 05:31 AM

Penguins wrap up the Atlantic. Sitting at 102 points, they wrap up home ice in the East with either a win Sunday in Philly, or a Habs loss in either of their remaining games.

I have no Youtube at work...but Crosby's 2nd goal last night - PP deflection, reached back and deflects through his own legs-- pretty sweet.

Pyser 04-03-2008 12:38 PM

i cant decide if the east is wide open and gonna be a great playoff season, or if every team is completely mediocre, and someone will just "survive" to get killed in the finals.

it certainly isnt like buffalo and ottawa last year...

in other news, the devils are locked into the 4-5 series. now just have to hope the rangers drop to 6th place or lower. come on....bruins, i guess. or philly.

Dr. Sak 04-03-2008 12:42 PM

I hope the Devils do the Flyers a favor and rest Marty tomorrow.

Maple Leafs 04-03-2008 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsak16 (Post 1698596)
I hope the Devils do the Flyers a favor and rest Marty tomorrow.

They would never do something like that when another team's playoffs are at stake.

Draft Dodger 04-03-2008 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maple Leafs (Post 1698640)
They would never do something like that when another team's playoffs are at stake.

and it will be so funnier when they don't.

Dr. Sak 04-03-2008 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draft Dodger (Post 1698657)
and it will be so funnier when they don't.

Please ignore all news bulletins that refer to Marty Broudeur and missing for the next 48 hrs...thank you.

TazFTW 04-03-2008 06:51 PM

Yay, Jagr is scoring goals again.

Maple Leafs 04-04-2008 10:08 AM

The Senators smoked the Leafs last night to stay in the playoff driver's seat. But the big story was Mark Bell destroying Daniel Alfredsson with an open ice hit. Everyone lies about injuries at this time of year, but Bryan Murray indicated Alfredsson could be gone long term.

Sabres fans will enjoy the irony, since the hit was virtually identical to the Neil/Drury incident (except anywhere near as late).

Pyser 04-04-2008 12:24 PM

oh my

Maple Leafs 04-04-2008 01:41 PM

Any Sabres fan may enjoy this:
http://downgoesbrown.blogspot.com/20...-balanced.html

Suburban Rhythm 04-04-2008 06:43 PM

I was hoping Heatley would go with Tucker...I would have gone back and changed my vote for Lathum taking Heatley as his powerforward!

Maple Leafs 04-04-2008 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm (Post 1699591)
I was hoping Heatley would go with Tucker...I would have gone back and changed my vote for Lathum taking Heatley as his powerforward!

Heatley probably would have been destroyed. He's Kyle Wellwood-tummy soft. (Of course, Tucker knows that, which is why he makes a big show out of challenging him.)

It was strange watching a scrum that prominently featured Bell and Heatley. Is this a hockey game or a driver's ed video?

Suburban Rhythm 04-04-2008 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maple Leafs (Post 1699622)
Heatley probably would have been destroyed. He's Kyle Wellwood-tummy soft. (Of course, Tucker knows that, which is why he makes a big show out of challenging him.)

It was strange watching a scrum that prominently featured Bell and Heatley. Is this a hockey game or a driver's ed video?

I just figured they were trying to hold each other up.

Pyser 04-04-2008 08:40 PM

another game where the devils didnt score.

balls.

anger, and balls.

Pyser 04-04-2008 08:41 PM

dola

im predicting it now.

devils lose to the rangers in round 1, and score less than a goal a game on average.

JPhillips 04-04-2008 09:02 PM

I'm I right that the Canes loss means the Caps are the 3 seed?

henry296 04-04-2008 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPhillips (Post 1699655)
I'm I right that the Canes loss means the Caps are the 3 seed?

No, a Caps regulation loss tomorrow gives the Canes the Southeast based on tiebreaker (43 wins to 42 wins).

Wolfpack 04-04-2008 09:11 PM

Not officially, but you can pretty much pencil them in now. They have to just get a point against Florida tomorrow night to win the division.

Carolina did everything but score more goals than Florida tonight. They didn't draw a penalty, had a ridiculous shot advantage, and still lost. It was there for the taking over the last two weeks against divisional opponents they have beaten all year. Instead, they finished the season going 2-3-1 in their final six games, including a shootout and a regulation loss to Washington and losses to Florida and Tampa. In hindsight, it seems fairly obvious the Canes were crashing back to earth after that great stretch coming out of the All Star break. The last several games looked very much like their ugly stretch during the end of 2007 with defensive lapses, problems getting goals, and Ward giving up bad goals. In sum, they probably didn't deserve to make the playoffs the way they finished out. They'd just have been cannon fodder for someone in the first round anyway.

*sigh* :(

TazFTW 04-04-2008 09:14 PM

Blech, the Rangers had a chance to make the season finale against the Devils worth home ice and they blow it against the Islanders.

Dr. Sak 04-04-2008 10:47 PM

Flyers clinch! 56 pts last year and the worst team...to the playoffs this year. We didn't even have to follow the Pens route to tank for 3 years.

Pyser 04-05-2008 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TazFTW (Post 1699667)
Blech, the Rangers had a chance to make the season finale against the Devils worth home ice and they blow it against the Islanders.

the rangers still have a very good shot at the 4/5 seed

TazFTW 04-05-2008 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyser (Post 1699738)
the rangers still have a very good shot at the 4/5 seed

Heh, you're right. I forgot the Rangers earned a point for reaching OT. Excellent. :cool:

Maple Leafs 04-05-2008 08:38 AM

Leafs can wrap up a playoff spot with six more wins.

DeToxRox 04-05-2008 09:04 AM

Heatley is plotting his revenge by offering to take Bell out for a late night drive.

Suburban Rhythm 04-05-2008 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsak16 (Post 1699705)
Flyers clinch! 56 pts last year and the worst team...to the playoffs this year. We didn't even have to follow the Pens route to tank for 3 years.

Get your facts straight....it was a good 5 years.

MikeVic 04-05-2008 11:45 AM

Great, so I'd want Canadian teams to make it. And I also like the Sharks. What do the 1st-round matchups look like? Canadiens-Senators on one side, and Sharks-Flames on the other.

Chief Rum 04-05-2008 02:08 PM

Glad the Stars lost last night, giving Anaheim the 4th spot and home ice. It officially turns the Ducks' final two games into exhibitions, which is the sort of thing we need with the injuries (and a suspension) we're trying to come back from. Carter should be back this weekend, Getzlaf and Giguere are already back but just, and Pronger returns from his stupid ass suspension (note, he is stupid for the suspension) on Sunday. Unfortunately, Perry probably still won't be back until maybe sometime in the first round.

Maple Leafs 04-05-2008 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeVic (Post 1699841)
Great, so I'd want Canadian teams to make it. And I also like the Sharks. What do the 1st-round matchups look like? Canadiens-Senators on one side, and Sharks-Flames on the other.

The East matchups aren't set yet, but I don't think Montreal and Ottawa can play in round one after tonight.

Wolfpack 04-05-2008 09:17 PM

Washington beats the Panthers to win the Southeast and knocks out Carolina. From seven points up with six to play to out of the playoffs. Unbelievable. Going to be an interesting (and long) offseason. Last night's loss will haunt this team until they make the playoffs again.

Captain2711 04-05-2008 09:28 PM

I love the Devils fans inability to sellout their arena for a playoff game. Just bought tickets for all four games at the Rock a.k.a. MSG 2. Go Rangers!!!

MikeVic 04-06-2008 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maple Leafs (Post 1700061)
The East matchups aren't set yet, but I don't think Montreal and Ottawa can play in round one after tonight.

Awesome. I thought both conferences were pretty much set. After today though, it seems like none of my teams will play each other in round one? That makes me happy.

Fidatelo 04-06-2008 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeVic (Post 1700160)
Awesome. I thought both conferences were pretty much set. After today though, it seems like none of my teams will play each other in round one? That makes me happy.

But now they can all lose! At least before you were guaranteed to have 2 teams in the second round. :D

NoSkillz 04-06-2008 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maple Leafs (Post 1699423)

Excellent blog post. The hypocrisy is off the charts in Ottawa but in a way I don't expect any less when a team's star goes down. How soon they forget when the shoe was on the other foot.

I just hope the incident is brought up when Roy Mlakar makes his customary appearance on Jim Rome so he too can make himself out to be an ass.

TazFTW 04-06-2008 04:53 PM

Meh. No home ice and no sweep.

Maple Leafs 04-06-2008 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoSkillz (Post 1700200)
I just hope the incident is brought up when Roy Mlakar makes his customary appearance on Jim Rome so he too can make himself out to be an ass.

Yes, you know how Jim Rome loves to ask the tough questions,

Suburban Rhythm 04-06-2008 06:07 PM

Pens will get a first round rematch with Ottawa. However, the series this year has a different feel. I hate to look ahead, but if Alfredsson misses the series, and Fisher and Kelly are out as well...I have to think Pittsburgh is the prohibitive favorite (first cliche of the playoffs!!).

MikeVic 04-06-2008 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fidatelo (Post 1700167)
But now they can all lose! At least before you were guaranteed to have 2 teams in the second round. :D

True! Well now it looks like the West matchup is Flames-Sharks, so I'll get one team through. And here's hoping to the Canadiens and Sens in their respective matchups!