Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   FOFC Archive (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   The 2009 Video Game Thread (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=70004)

rowech 11-17-2009 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue (Post 2169398)
According to the review I read, that's exactly what they solved.

It was clear to anyone who played the game for more than a few hours that the repetive game play was by far the worst issue with that game. I played it one night, saw the issue and became immediately bored by the entire thing.

Agreed. I don't know how anybody could play that game and not be bored to tears by it.

DeToxRox 11-17-2009 03:25 PM

I am an hour in to AC2 which isn't much time to pass judgment, but so far it is more engaging then the original. It's a wide open environment so there are no real restrictions but I haven't done too many missions yet which was the biggest problem in AC1.

Fidatelo 11-17-2009 04:06 PM

What is AC2?

I think we need to make a rule that no acronyms are used until the actual game is mentioned once in the post. No more "I'm really loving DHRLL! What a great game DHRLL is! Go buy DHRLL!".

Eaglesfan27 11-17-2009 04:08 PM

AC2 is Assassin's Creed 2. I loved the first one for the first few hours, but the repetition killed it for me. If they really fixed that, I'm looking forward to playing it at some point in the future.

Kodos 11-17-2009 04:08 PM

AC2 is Assassin's Creed Deux.

Big Fo 11-17-2009 11:22 PM

Nintendo are finally offering demos of WiiWare games, I like what I've played of NyxQuest and My Life as a Darklord after trying them out and I'll probably get one or both of them after beating the new Mario game. It's better late than never. Now I wish they could do the same thing for Wii retail games though the console's limited memory might prevent that from being possible.

RainMaker 11-18-2009 12:40 AM

COD MW2 has sort of made my 360 crazy. It was vibrating and making loud buzzing noises as it plays. I know the 360 hardware is a hunk of shit, but is this the hardware or the disc? I've heard that certain high resource games can fuck with the system.

Mizzou B-ball fan 11-18-2009 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atocep (Post 2169397)
IGN says it's fixed. They actually said that if the series continues to improve the next will be on par with the GTA games.

Most would argue that the GTA series has grown repetitive, so I'm not sure that's a glowing example of the game being less repetitive. We'll just assume it was a poor choice of examples.

Ronnie Dobbs2 11-18-2009 07:29 AM

The last one was certainly a critical and commercial failure.

Fidatelo 11-18-2009 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainMaker (Post 2169683)
COD MW2 has sort of made my 360 crazy. It was vibrating and making loud buzzing noises as it plays. I know the 360 hardware is a hunk of shit, but is this the hardware or the disc? I've heard that certain high resource games can fuck with the system.

I got a disc read error my first night of playing Modern Warfare 2, and the drive was definitely spinning hard prior to that. So I installed the game to my hard drive and will play it from there from now on, which is something you may want to consider as well.

MizzouRah 11-18-2009 05:33 PM

My credit card CANNOT take it anymore. I thought I would pass on AC 2.. but alas, the reviews are VERY positive..

and L4D2.. wow.. now if I can only get my kids to stop playing!

ColtCrazy 11-18-2009 08:37 PM

Anyone tried Lego Indiana Jones 2 or Super Mario Wii? I'd like to get one for my son and I to play, don't know which. Indiana Jones got some initially bad ratings, but it's seemed to come back up when some more mainstream places starting reviewing it.

My son would like either, but I just want to make sure it's worth playing.

SackAttack 11-18-2009 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColtCrazy (Post 2170047)
Anyone tried Lego Indiana Jones 2 or Super Mario Wii? I'd like to get one for my son and I to play, don't know which. Indiana Jones got some initially bad ratings, but it's seemed to come back up when some more mainstream places starting reviewing it.

My son would like either, but I just want to make sure it's worth playing.

I've been really having a good time with Super Mario Wii, but I haven't gotten into the multiplayer at all.

Lego Indy 2 is basically Lego Indy 1 + Crystal Skull + level editor. Anybody who's bashing it is doing so on the basis of it not being "new" enough. Unlike Star Wars, which had two separate trilogies, or Harry Potter, which has seven freaking books to draw from, there's just not that much source material after the first three Indy movies.

So making a sequel is kind of pointless, and I can see where it would piss people off.

Mizzou B-ball fan 11-19-2009 08:53 AM

FYI.......Bad Company 2 Multiplayer Beta starts today on the PS3.

Kodos 11-19-2009 09:14 AM

Since I haven't bought Call of Duty MW 2, I fired up Resistance: Fall of Man. Very good game so far. Varied missions, good story. I'm liking it.

ColtCrazy 11-19-2009 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SackAttack (Post 2170160)
I've been really having a good time with Super Mario Wii, but I haven't gotten into the multiplayer at all.

Lego Indy 2 is basically Lego Indy 1 + Crystal Skull + level editor. Anybody who's bashing it is doing so on the basis of it not being "new" enough. Unlike Star Wars, which had two separate trilogies, or Harry Potter, which has seven freaking books to draw from, there's just not that much source material after the first three Indy movies.

So making a sequel is kind of pointless, and I can see where it would piss people off.

Thanks. I think we'll get Super Mario now and wait till Indiana Jones goes down some. If it's like the original, then my son will be fine with it. It may not be worth putting $50 into, but I'll definitely pick it up sometime.

Vince, Pt. II 11-19-2009 06:32 PM

"Finished" New Super Mario Bros. Wii last night with my roommate - we started from world one, intentionally found the Warp Cannon in World 1, then accidentally found the Warp Cannon in World 5 which took us all the way to World 8. World 8 was fantastic, though I really wish that they would have made it longer - it was very difficult and had a few really cool mechanics, but there were only I think 5 levels within the world. Also, the final battle was suitably epic, and didn't leave me wanting in any way. I can't wait to go back and really dig into the game, checking out each world along the way.

I still have yet to try single player mode (I've played only 2-player up to this point), and I also can't wait to try more than 2 people at a time. The potential for humor with multiple people playing this game is awesome - we spent just as much time laughing at ourselves and each other for killing one another as we did playing the game. For example, in the World 8 mini-castle, we encountered some very narrow ledges we had to jump across, so we decided we would carry one another through. My roommate picked up my character and started jumping...and then inexplicably (and accidentally) threw my character right into some spikes. Took us about 5 minutes to settle down from laughing enough to play the game again. It is a pretty fantastic way to take the sting out of multiple failures - half the time we died it was to foolish mistakes, and with each other to laugh at, continuing multiple times was not at all frustrating.

Also, for those who don't know and are curious about the large coins:

Spoiler

MJ4H 11-19-2009 06:34 PM

Man I can't wait to get NSMBW

Fidatelo 11-19-2009 09:50 PM

These games all sound great, but I'm holding out for NSSFCTRRXE, that game is going to beat them all!

Kodos 11-19-2009 11:48 PM

Don't forget LADJFPOADKJ:LKADLKFJ 2. It will own us all.

Big Fo 11-19-2009 11:54 PM

fwiw NSBMW ifb imo

stevew 11-20-2009 12:11 AM

I can't wait til NAMBLA gets released.

ColtCrazy 11-20-2009 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kodos (Post 2170817)
Don't forget LADJFPOADKJ:LKADLKFJ 2. It will own us all.

+1

On preorder already.

DataKing 11-20-2009 04:04 PM

Any word yet on what the first DLC will be?

MJ4H 11-20-2009 04:33 PM

Man I can't wait to get GFYS.

Big Fo 11-20-2009 09:56 PM

I just pulled off some cool stuff in the new Mario game, I watched one of the hint videos for getting infinite men in 2-5 but on my way to that spot I managed to get 41 in a different spot in between two blocks where a Lakitu kept dropping spines. I needed the the 1ups too, I was running low because the World 5 castle is kicking my ass so far, I hate the way that green block taunts me when every time I have to start the level over again. This game rocks.

MJ4H 11-25-2009 12:39 PM

Downloaded demo for Bit Trip Beat from the Wii Shop Channel yesterday. I loved it. Anyone played it or any of the other Bit Trip games? Great stuff.

Vince, Pt. II 11-25-2009 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Fo (Post 2171276)
I just pulled off some cool stuff in the new Mario game, I watched one of the hint videos for getting infinite men in 2-5 but on my way to that spot I managed to get 41 in a different spot in between two blocks where a Lakitu kept dropping spines. I needed the the 1ups too, I was running low because the World 5 castle is kicking my ass so far, I hate the way that green block taunts me when every time I have to start the level over again. This game rocks.

World 5 was extremely difficult. We were both excited (and pretty surprised) when we found the Warp Cannon and were able to get out of the level.

Big Fo 11-29-2009 09:10 PM

I beat NSMB Wii tonight, going through all eight worlds without warps. That final level is probably the best one in the series. Compared to the other 2D Marios I put this game right up there with Super Mario World and Super Mario Bros. 3, it's that good and so much better than NSMB DS. The game gets hard in some of the latter stages (though there are a few easier ones mixed in even on worlds 6 through 8) but it's never unfair. Immediately after beating the game I went back to the beginning to get the three star coins on every level in order to...

Spoiler

DeToxRox 12-08-2009 08:37 PM

IGN Advertisement

Rogue Warrior = Worst "next gen" game ever? IGN thinks so.

Mizzou B-ball fan 12-09-2009 09:21 AM

More info about Final Fantasy XIII in the Famitsu review of the game (got a 39/40).

-FFXIII will be on a dual layered blu-ray disc. MGS4 is the only other game to use one.
-No installs
-PS3 version will remain uncompressed due to lack of size constraints.
-You can restart battles.

Really happy about no installs and the restart battle option.

Announcement was also made that White Knight Chronicles will be released in U.S. and Europe on February 5th. That and FFXIII should keep RPG people busy this spring.

JonInMiddleGA 12-09-2009 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeToxRox (Post 2182101)
IGN Advertisement

Rogue Warrior = Worst "next gen" game ever? IGN thinks so.

Pity, 'cause I love Marcinko. But I had a feeling the game would be about like this. I didn't know they were using Mickey Rourke for the voice though, so at least I learned something.

Mizzou B-ball fan 12-11-2009 01:55 PM

For PS3 owners, Pixeljunk Shooter is a GREAT game. I'm a fan of most of their games and I think this game is probably their best offering yet. It's a lot of fun and easy to pick up.

RainMaker 12-11-2009 04:24 PM

Are there any good online co-op games out there? Been playing Borderlands with a friend and looking for more games we can play online together. Have played Army of Two and the old Crackdown.

Honolulu_Blue 12-11-2009 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainMaker (Post 2184156)
Are there any good online co-op games out there? Been playing Borderlands with a friend and looking for more games we can play online together. Have played Army of Two and the old Crackdown.

While I am not sure about how the on-line experience is (since I mainly do split-screen), here are a few:

Rainbow Six: Las Vegas 2
Left 4 Dead
Left 4 Dead 2
Ghost Recond Advanced Warfighter: 2
Modern Warfare 2: Special Ops missions
Gears of War
Gears of War II

Check out this website for some more:

Co-Optimus - Your Prime Source for Co-Op Gaming!

Co-Op games are my specialty.

MikeVic 12-11-2009 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue (Post 2184158)

Co-Op games are my specialty.

We know it can't be hockey.

Pumpy Tudors 12-11-2009 06:33 PM

MIKEVIC WITH THE SUPLEX

gstelmack 12-11-2009 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue (Post 2184158)
Ghost Recond Advanced Warfighter: 2

Thanks, we do try very hard ;)

Mizzou B-ball fan 12-16-2009 08:16 AM

New 4:00 trailer with actual gameplay footage of new Red Dead game.

Honolulu_Blue 12-16-2009 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeVic (Post 2184186)
We know it can't be hockey.

You're mean.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors (Post 2184213)
MIKEVIC WITH THE SUPLEX

Stop encouraging him.

dawgfan 12-16-2009 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan (Post 2186379)
New 4:00 trailer with actual gameplay footage of new Red Dead game.

Yeah, this game is looking very promising. Assuming the reviews on gameplay come back positive, this is probably my next big video game time investment...

Fidatelo 12-16-2009 10:41 PM

Grand Theft Horse

lighthousekeeper 12-16-2009 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fidatelo (Post 2186961)
Grand Theft Horse

lol

EagleFan 12-16-2009 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fidatelo (Post 2186961)
Grand Theft Horse

Carlos Mencia?

Pumpy Tudors 12-16-2009 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EagleFan (Post 2186977)
Carlos Mencia?

No, I think that's Grand Theft Joke.

Eaglesfan27 12-17-2009 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors (Post 2186988)
No, I think that's Grand Theft Joke.

:D

SportsDino 12-17-2009 08:40 AM

I'll probably give Red Dead a run... ever since ye olde nintendo "Lone Ranger" I've been looking for an open world western game. And i generally love me some Grand Theft Auto anyway.

RainMaker 12-17-2009 09:22 AM

Red Dead is a definite buy. Not a huge Western fan but it's different looking which is a plus where everything seems to be amped up FPS. I wonder how big the environment will be, from what they are saying, it seems massive.

I'd love to see Rockstar create a police game. Sort of a Police Quest in a sandbox environment where you can make decisions on whether to be good or bad. Always thought that would be a nice change of pace from the typical bad guy building his way up the ranks of the crime pyramid.

Kodos 12-17-2009 09:24 AM

I think a serial killer game would be fun, either from a being the police perspective or from being the killer and trying to get away with it.

Honolulu_Blue 12-17-2009 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kodos (Post 2187180)
I think a serial killer game would be fun, either from a being the police perspective or from being the killer and trying to get away with it.

Isn't "Heavy Rain" supposed to be a serial killer game? I don't think you play the serial killer, but I think you can play various people trying to find him or stop him.