Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   FOFC Archive (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   OT: The FOFC Music Draft (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=57117)

Buccaneer 02-27-2007 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maple Leafs (Post 1404057)
Another one that it occurs to me that we missed: Elvis Costello. "Radio Radio" would have been a good Anti-Establishment song.

It's one thing for an artist to do his own thing his own way but it's an entirely different matter to blindside the establishment with a big FU in a not-so-polite way.

Maple Leafs 02-27-2007 08:53 AM

I figured I'd post this here rather than the voting thread to avoid influencing anyone:

- Right now I have Subby and Lordscarlet pulling away from the field, with Subby in the lead

- Subby has an amazing number of second place votes - ten total. But he has only two first place votes. Eight of us have at least that many firsts. I have no idea what that means.

- Oilers, Bucc and ntndeacon are all tied for the lead in first place votes (with four) but aren't really in contention right now. Lordscarlet also has four firsts.

Subby 02-27-2007 09:46 AM

The Freebird/Stairway to Heaven combo is the Music Draft equivalent of having Gehrig and Ruth back to back :)

NoMyths 02-27-2007 09:51 AM

Except, of course, that neither of them is really that great of a song.

Yeah, I said it. :)

Subby 02-27-2007 09:52 AM

OH NO YOU DI'INT!!!!11 :eek:

cthomer5000 02-27-2007 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buccaneer (Post 1404075)
It's one thing for an artist to do his own thing his own way but it's an entirely different matter to blindside the establishment with a big FU in a not-so-polite way.

Exactly, and that's why it's so brilliaint.

I wanna bite the hand that feeds me
I wanna bite that hand so badly
I wanna make them wish they'd never seen me

cthomer5000 02-27-2007 09:58 AM

man, now im going to have to go listen to Armed Forces like 100 times in a row.

Damn you guys!

Warhammer 02-28-2007 12:12 AM

Where's the voting thread?

Maple Leafs 02-28-2007 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warhammer (Post 1405586)
Where's the voting thread?

http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/....php?p=1404922

adubroff 02-28-2007 02:43 PM

In what seems to be an almost daily torture I woke up thinking of another Misfit Toy candidate...

Antiestablishment : School's Out, Alice Cooper

Maple Leafs 02-28-2007 02:55 PM

Just for fun...

A clip of a first round draft pick song being performed live by the remaining memebers of the original band, plus another first round band, plus one of the "classic" artist picks.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ahn3-0mYBuc

lordscarlet 02-28-2007 03:00 PM

I was just thinking that a good Love Song would have been "99 Problems" :)

Maple Leafs 02-28-2007 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordscarlet (Post 1406119)
I was just thinking that a good Love Song would have been "99 Problems" :)

Ice-T or Jay-Z?

lordscarlet 02-28-2007 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maple Leafs (Post 1406136)
Ice-T or Jay-Z?

Jay-Z

ntndeacon 02-28-2007 11:28 PM

a real good love song woulda been I'll Make Love to You by Boyz II Men

Maple Leafs 03-01-2007 08:43 AM

Congratulations to lordscarlet, the winner of the 2007 FOFC Music Draft!

Congratulations to Subby as well on his second place finish

And vtbub narrowly edged out Lathum and NoMyths for 10th place.

Buccaneer 03-01-2007 08:56 AM

Nice work to ML and to all. I would love to do something similar but with TV shows.

lordscarlet 03-01-2007 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buccaneer (Post 1406903)
Nice work to ML and to all. I would love to do something similar but with TV shows.

I think that would be excellent. :)

KevinNU7 03-01-2007 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maple Leafs (Post 1406895)
Congratulations to lordscarlet, the winner of the 2007 FOFC Music Draft!

Congratulations to Subby as well on his second place finish

And vtbub narrowly edged out Lathum and NoMyths for 10th place.

I think it is fitting that 3rd place wasn't even mentioned since I couldn't even pick one :)

Maple Leafs 03-01-2007 09:44 AM

A couple more "that would have been a good pick" moments on the iPod today...

Anti-Establishment: "Common People" by Pulp
Crossover: "A Little Less Conversation", Elvis vs JXL (although it would have taken Presley off the board)

vtbub 03-01-2007 10:22 AM

Woot! Last :)

JonInMiddleGA 03-01-2007 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buccaneer (Post 1406903)

Umm ... hasn't that been done already?
(I'm pretty sure it has, since I remember taking part in it)

Butter 03-01-2007 10:42 AM

I remember that too, Jon, but damned if I can find it... even in the archives.

Subby 03-01-2007 10:42 AM

Nice work ML - fun to be a part of this.

Maple Leafs 03-01-2007 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 (Post 1407029)
I remember that too, Jon, but damned if I can find it... even in the archives.

Here:
http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...ad.php?t=46578

But the format could be certainly be tweaked and improved.

JonInMiddleGA 03-01-2007 11:20 AM

Well, at least I know I didn't dream the TV version.

Although I don't think it would be my thing, if somebody wanted to do another one of these, seems like a movie theme would be an obvious choice.

Bee 03-01-2007 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 1407060)
Well, at least I know I didn't dream the TV version.

Although I don't think it would be my thing, if somebody wanted to do another one of these, seems like a movie theme would be an obvious choice.

And in case Subby is wondering, Pink Flamingos wouldn't be a good choice for Romantic Film. :D

Maple Leafs 03-01-2007 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 1407060)

I've been trying to come up with a decent move draft, using either the movies themselves or some sort character/moment theme like we did in the TV draft. It's tougher than you think, for a few of reasons:

- There are so many movies that are remade.
- There are so many movies that are part of a franchise or are sequels
- There are so many unique movies based on common stories or scenarios (meaning drafting characters is pretty much out)

I'm sure there's a way to do it and make it work, but it would be easy to screw up too.

st.cronin 03-01-2007 11:41 AM

Freebird is a great song. Until you get to the guitar solo, which is the stupidest thing ever.

KevinNU7 03-01-2007 11:43 AM

Just realized that Boston More then a feeling wasn't used after hearing it in the car. That would be a good classic or you could put it in Epic

Subby 03-01-2007 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by st.cronin (Post 1407081)
Freebird is a great song. Until you get to the guitar solo, which is the stupidest thing ever.

Heh - I think the jam is what makes the song. :)

JonInMiddleGA 03-01-2007 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maple Leafs (Post 1407078)
I've been trying to come up with a decent move draft, using either the movies themselves or some sort character/moment theme like we did in the TV draft. It's tougher than you think, for a few of reasons ... I'm sure there's a way to do it and make it work, but it would be easy to screw up too.

Lemme just throw something to the wall here for a minute, see how much of it sticks.

Best war movie (with combat as central to the plot, not just "war era"),
Best date movie (that could appeal to both parties)
Best chick flick (generally women love it, men would rather be shot)
Best cop movie
Best slapstick/stupid comedy (covers both the Three Stooges & most of Will Ferrell's movies)
Best intelligent comedy
Best teen movie (with teens/young adults as central characters, not 'movie teens like the most')
Best Epic
Best Drama

Other possibilities:
Best franchise (would not eliminate individual installments from consideration for other slots), best sequel or prequel best remake (with obvious direct connection to original, not just same theme/plot), Best body of work by a director (would not eliminate directors individual films from play)

Also consider:
Best dialogue, Best special effects, Best Visuals (basically the movie could have sucked but it looked great doing so)

- There are so many unique movies based on common stories or scenarios (meaning drafting characters is pretty much out)

lordscarlet 03-01-2007 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 1407096)
Lemme just throw something to the wall here for a minute, see how much of it sticks.

Best war movie (with combat as central to the plot, not just "war era"),
Best date movie (that could appeal to both parties)
Best chick flick (generally women love it, men would rather be shot)
Best cop movie
Best slapstick/stupid comedy (covers both the Three Stooges & most of Will Ferrell's movies)
Best intelligent comedy
Best teen movie (with teens/young adults as central characters, not 'movie teens like the most')
Best Epic
Best Drama

Other possibilities:
Best franchise (would not eliminate individual installments from consideration for other slots), best sequel or prequel best remake (with obvious direct connection to original, not just same theme/plot), Best body of work by a director (would not eliminate directors individual films from play)

Also consider:
Best dialogue, Best special effects, Best Visuals (basically the movie could have sucked but it looked great doing so)

What would you use as disqualifiers? (As we have used Artist and Song here) Possibly director? Actor? "Title" (Ocean's 11, Dukes of Hazzard, Terminator 2, etc)?

st.cronin 03-01-2007 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordscarlet (Post 1407104)
What would you use as disqualifiers? (As we have used Artist and Song here) Possibly director? Actor? "Title" (Ocean's 11, Dukes of Hazzard, Terminator 2, etc)?

Year of release?

adubroff 03-01-2007 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maple Leafs (Post 1407078)
I've been trying to come up with a decent move draft, using either the movies themselves or some sort character/moment theme like we did in the TV draft. It's tougher than you think, for a few of reasons:

I'm sure there's a way to do it and make it work, but it would be easy to screw up too.

I think the rule you used this time with once the singer is used up would be neat with regard to sequels/remakes....draft one version and you lock up the series.

One thing I thought might have worked well with music (and it might be worth a shot with Movies as well) is to draft the performer and then have access to his "work". So if I draft Eddie Murphy, I can use 48 Hours as my "comedy" and Dream Girls as my "musical".

Then you could have a second phase of draft, the lineup reveal. At this point, you have a second draft where the rule about using a movie twice comes into play. So if I want 48 hours as one my comedies, I have to make sure I name it before the Nick Nolte owner does. I think drafting a roster of performers only works if you have a very deep number of positions to fill, so maybe you have 5 comedies or something. It's possible the reveal phase could be conducted via priority list so the whole thing doesn't take too long.

Another possibility for the reveal phase would be to do something along the lines of an American Idol contest. For instance, if you have ten contestants, you come up with ten different "themes", but you don't tell anybody what order the themes will be played. Theme 1 gets randomly selected and everybody names their 3 best in the theme. Then the populus votes and whomever is the worst in a category is "voted off" that week, and you move on to the next theme. This would lead to a teams having to strive to pick balanced/versatile performers to meet all the themes adequately or suffer the consequences.

These may be too complex/time consuming, but I think they have some potential.

JonInMiddleGA 03-01-2007 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordscarlet (Post 1407104)

Again, just WAG'ing this idea a bit, I'm not sure how many would have to be disqualified/how desirable strict disqualification is in this niche. Being fairly wide open might lend it's own set of controversies/difficult decisions for voters who think someone chose, for example, the wrong Eastwood movie (that reminds me, Best Western should get a category, so should Best Sci-Fi & Best Horror) in their draft pick.

Still, maybe something like "movie with same artist with a significant role cannot be taken in the same category"; i.e. choosing an Eastwood film as Best Western would eliminate his other westerns but you could still select one of the Dirty Harry movies as Best Cop Movie or something with him as Philo Beddoe for Best Date Movie ;)

KevinNU7 03-01-2007 12:17 PM

Another thing you could do is use imdb as a resource. Say something like, if an actor is listed as one of the first 6 cast members any other film where he is listed in the first 6 cast members is now unavailable.

So looking for example at Oceans 12

http://imdb.com/title/tt0349903/

This would eliminate Pitt, Zeta-Jones, Clooney, Kross, Roberts, and Tiffany but people could still pick Crash since Don Cheadle wasn't listed in the top 6 for Ocean's 12

Buccaneer 03-01-2007 06:02 PM

I didnt' remember we had done a TV draft but I think a Movies draft would be a great idea...provided we could come up with a set of rules that wouldn't eliminate half of the movies simply by picking Speilberg and Lucas as 1.1 and 1.2.

Logan 03-01-2007 10:32 PM

I also haven't figured out how the disqualifiers would work...but it occurred to me that a movie version could just follow the basic categories of the original game:

- Classic
- Epic
- Arena Rocker (not sure what the translation would be)
- Trendsetter...due to the way it's directed/produced, or just due to being the one that started a genre
- Love (Movie)
- One-Hit Wonder...either director or actor who had one major hit, never to be heard from again (to an extent)
- Party (Movie)
- Crossover...performance, as an actor/director breaks free from his usual genre
- Cover...ie remake.
- Anti-Establishment (not really sure about this one either)

ntndeacon 03-01-2007 10:42 PM

actually we did a movie version as well.

ntndeacon 03-01-2007 10:43 PM

dola
well actor version...
categories were like
director, comic actor, romntics lead, etc.

Dekanth 03-01-2007 11:35 PM

Since this is a sports board, you guys should do a sports themed draft.

Best [insert sport] Team
Best Game
Best male athelte
Best female athlete
Best single game performance
etc...

Maple Leafs 03-02-2007 08:55 AM

Schmidty did an athelete's draft last year. Most of the main subjects have been covered, but there's always a new spin you can put on them. I'm kicking around a sports-related idea for down the road.

cthomer5000 03-05-2007 06:07 AM

If anyone is going to enjoy this.. it's you guys:

Unreleased Jimmy Page Guitar Riff To Be Retrieved from Secret Vault To Save Rock and Roll

http://www.theonion.com/content/news...ge_guitar_riff