Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   FOFC Archive (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   2008-2009 College Basketball Thread...... (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=68303)

rjolley 03-11-2009 09:58 PM

Very chippy. Thought the first one was Garca talking and got sensitive when Onuaku showed him up. Second one should've possibly been an ejection when the Hall player had his hands on the Syracuse player, but the foul was a hard one.

Maybe they don't play ball like they used to when I was younger, but the little spat between Garcia and Onuaku wouldn't have gotten to that level. You talk, they talk, and you play harder trying to show the other player up.

Or maybe that's just how I remember it. :)

Mizzou B-ball fan 03-12-2009 06:23 AM

For any Big 12 fans that went to bed when A&M was up by 19 at halftime, you missed the best single game performance by a player in B12 tournament history. Tech's Singletary scored 35 points IN THE SECOND HALF and single-handedly willed Tech to an upset win over Texas A&M. The guy hit everything. Even he was laughing at one point.

If Kansas State beats Texas today, I could easily see KSU getting a NCAA bid and A&M being on the outside looking in. Incredible turn of events.

JonInMiddleGA 03-12-2009 08:03 AM

I saw the writeup on Singletary's performance before going to bed last night. Would have liked to have seen that one, although I have virtually no interest in either team otherwise.

Then again, it probably looked a lot like Meeks dropping 52 on Tennessee earlier this year for Kentucky, so maybe it wouldn't have been as much fun for me to see.

spleen1015 03-12-2009 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjolley (Post 1966776)
Very chippy. Thought the first one was Garca talking and got sensitive when Onuaku showed him up. Second one should've possibly been an ejection when the Hall player had his hands on the Syracuse player, but the foul was a hard one.

Maybe they don't play ball like they used to when I was younger, but the little spat between Garcia and Onuaku wouldn't have gotten to that level. You talk, they talk, and you play harder trying to show the other player up.

Or maybe that's just how I remember it. :)

This whole incident was the Syracuse players' fault. They totally played without class. Devendorf is a punk.

Samdari 03-12-2009 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spleen1015 (Post 1967011)
This whole incident was the Syracuse players' fault. They totally played without class. Devendorf is a punk.

Devendorf is a punk, but saying the whole incident was Syracuse players' fault means you were listening to Bilas, and not watching the game at all.

First incident - SHU large scrub gets his shot blocked, inexplicably takes offense and starts getting in Onuaku's face about it. Onuaku reacts inappropriately, but wouldn't the fault here lie with the guy who started it?

Second incident. An SHU player trying to punish SU for Onuaku's actions hammers Onganaet on the break. Devendorf talks to an SHU guard, said guard contacts Devo's face with his hand. Three times. How this incident is in any way seen as Syracuse's fault is beyond me.

In both cases, SU's players had inappropriate responses. Both times however, they were responding to SHU's agression.

Mizzou B-ball fan 03-12-2009 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samdari (Post 1967031)
Devendorf is a punk, but saying the whole incident was Syracuse players' fault means you were listening to Bilas, and not watching the game at all.

I think we can all agree.......when in doubt, blame Duke.

spleen1015 03-12-2009 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samdari (Post 1967031)

First incident - SHU large scrub gets his shot blocked, inexplicably takes offense and starts getting in Onuaku's face about it. Onuaku reacts inappropriately, but wouldn't the fault here lie with the guy who started it?

Second incident. An SHU player trying to punish SU for Onuaku's actions hammers Onganaet on the break. Devendorf talks to an SHU guard, said guard contacts Devo's face with his hand. Three times. How this incident is in any way seen as Syracuse's fault is beyond me.

In both cases, SU's players had inappropriate responses. Both times however, they were responding to SHU's agression.

The incident after the blocked shot was started when Onuaku starting yelling after he blocked the shot. Yes, the SHU dude started jawing, but that crap happens all of the time. That was his response to the yelling. Then, Onuaku proceeds to start clapping in his face.

The 2nd incident was started by the hard foul by the SHU player and the SHU player did push on Devendorf's face. I'll concede that.

I'm sure there were words that we don't know about that got the whole thing started down this road to begin with.

rjolley 03-12-2009 10:30 AM

I think fault was split between both teams in both incidents. Onuaku's scream and Garcia's reaction to it. Screaming after a big block happens all the time. Garcia probably said something about it being a lucky block, Onuaku claps, and then Garcia gets sensitive and starts wolfing more. Both players at fault there. The talking happens all the time. The clapping was over the top, but I've seen worse. That was probably brewing all game, though.

The foul on the next play was a very hard foul and over the top. He got the ball, but seemed to be more of a punishment foul than anything. And the Hall guard with his hands to the face of the Syracuse guard should've been an ejection given everything else that had happened, though probably not in and of itself, so I'm ok with it not happening.

To say it was all Syracuse's fault is a bit of a stretch. A ton of blame to go around there.

Samdari 03-12-2009 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spleen1015 (Post 1967056)
The incident after the blocked shot was started when Onuaku starting yelling after he blocked the shot. Yes, the SHU dude started jawing, but that crap happens all of the time. That was his response to the yelling. Then, Onuaku proceeds to start clapping in his face.

Oanaku may have yelled, but it was not directed at the SHU player - he was looking 180 degrees away. It only became a confrontation when the SHU player got up, ran to the other side of Onuaku, and started getting in his face. He is the one who made that situation a confrontation. Guys let out primal screams all the time after making a good play, its only taunting if its in someone's face.

Onuaku did act like a jerk in response to that, and both got a deserved technical. And Devendorf almost always acts like a jerk, last night was a particularly disgusting example. I think they deserve technical fouls, derision and scorn for their behavior last night, but to say Syracuse caused either incident is just plain silly. They were reacting to misplaced aggression (maybe play defense that aggressively, see what happens?) by Seton Hall in both cases.

sterlingice 03-12-2009 11:46 AM

I am quite happy for channelsurfing.net about now :)

SI

Atocep 03-12-2009 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samdari (Post 1967102)
And Devendorf almost always acts like a jerk, last night was a particularly disgusting example.

He has no business still being on that team and probably wouldn't be if Beoheim wasn't feeling some pressure to get his team into the tourney this year.

sterlingice 03-12-2009 11:50 AM

Kansas looking ugly to start against Baylor, tho. They look lethargic- no energy

SI

Lathum 03-12-2009 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sterlingice (Post 1967108)
Kansas looking ugly to start against Baylor, tho. They look lethargic- no energy

SI

I think thats a trend with the teams who have byes.

Louisville missed nine straight shots at one point.

Fighter of Foo 03-12-2009 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjolley (Post 1967059)
I think fault was split between both teams in both incidents. Onuaku's scream and Garcia's reaction to it. Screaming after a big block happens all the time. Garcia probably said something about it being a lucky block, Onuaku claps, and then Garcia gets sensitive and starts wolfing more. Both players at fault there. The talking happens all the time. The clapping was over the top, but I've seen worse. That was probably brewing all game, though.

The foul on the next play was a very hard foul and over the top. He got the ball, but seemed to be more of a punishment foul than anything. And the Hall guard with his hands to the face of the Syracuse guard should've been an ejection given everything else that had happened, though probably not in and of itself, so I'm ok with it not happening.

To say it was all Syracuse's fault is a bit of a stretch. A ton of blame to go around there.

Most/all of it should be placed on the refs for not dealing with the situation before it escalated. Horrible refereeing. Had they clamped down on the chippy shit in the first half, none of the incidents above even take place.

sterlingice 03-12-2009 12:24 PM

Looks like KU woke up and they're only down 4 at the half

SI

Mizzou B-ball fan 03-12-2009 01:00 PM

KU-Baylor is a dogfight. Back and forth.

I don't get to listen to Bob Davis and Chris Piper do the games on the radio very often, but I always find it funny how they don't hide their emotions about KU. A foul got called and Piper, the color commentator, simply said 'Awwwwwww! Bad call!'. They're fun to listen to.

Lathum 03-12-2009 01:03 PM

Huge swing in the KU-Baylor game, Baylor kid misses a gimme and KU hits a 3 on the other end

Radii 03-12-2009 01:05 PM

Miami is officially done now after losing to Virginia Tech. I assume that Virginia Tech would still need to beat North Carolina tomorrow to have a legit at large shot.

Lathum 03-12-2009 01:11 PM

Getting excited for the U of Washington game. For those of you who haven't watched them they are a ton of fun. Jon Brockman is a beast, averages a double-double and plays as hard as anyone, Isiah Thomas is a really talented young guard and Justin Dentmon and Quincy Pondextor give them good veteran scoring options.

Hopefully they can win the Pac-10 and get a good NCAA seed.

Lathum 03-12-2009 01:12 PM

Big run by Baylor who just wont go away

Radii 03-12-2009 01:12 PM

Nice job by Baylor to not completely fold when Kansas took the lead. KU was up 58-53, baylor has the last 7 points to go back up 60-58.

Mizzou B-ball fan 03-12-2009 01:13 PM

Live radio feed for KU game:

610 Sports - Homepage

Swaggs 03-12-2009 01:17 PM

Providence goes out with a whimper.

Unless Providence gets an undeserving bid, the Big East is pretty well locked in with 7 spots.

I have heard some talking heads say that this is a disappointing season, but I think, unlike in the past two seasons, the BE has several teams well-positioned to make a run to the final four. I think Louisville and Pitt are high on the contender list to win it all, with UConn (they haven't played as well with their injury problems) and Villanova are pretty legit threats to make runs, as well.

Mizzou B-ball fan 03-12-2009 01:17 PM

GO BAYLOR!!!!! Up by 7 with 3 1/2 left.

cartman 03-12-2009 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan (Post 1967173)
GO BAYLOR!!!!! Up by 7 with 3 1/2 left.

Please stop causing problems.

Mizzou B-ball fan 03-12-2009 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cartman (Post 1967177)
Please stop causing problems.

LOL. I take full responsibility. Great game.

Swaggs 03-12-2009 01:25 PM

Baylor's game to win or lose now.

Radii 03-12-2009 01:32 PM

Great win for Baylor, hooray upsets!

cartman 03-12-2009 01:32 PM

Big upset by Baylor! Now if Texas can take care of business against K-State, they have a pretty good chance of making it to the title game.

sterlingice 03-12-2009 01:36 PM

Dang, looks like we'll be taking the rest of the week off. Wish we had gotten a chance to play some other teams so I had a better idea of how good we were. We came out flat in the first half and Baylor played well in the second half. Kudos to them- they're a better team than their record indicates.

SI

Mizzou B-ball fan 03-12-2009 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cartman (Post 1967191)
Big upset by Baylor! Now if Texas can take care of business against K-State, they have a pretty good chance of making it to the title game.

Next, we root for an OSU upset in the rivalry game.

Q: Who's your favorite team?
A: Mizzou and whoever's playing KU.

Go Bears!!!!!!

DataKing 03-12-2009 01:49 PM

Crap.

DeToxRox 03-12-2009 01:50 PM

7:30 into the Michigan game, Michigan leads 14-7. DeShawn Sims is 7-7 from the field with all 14 points. Kid is on fire.

Mizzou B-ball fan 03-12-2009 01:51 PM

Cartman, UT have an free online radio feed anywhere? They're blocking the KSU radio feed.

Mizzou B-ball fan 03-12-2009 01:55 PM

Thought I'd put this up in case the Kansas fans wanted to download it and put it on their MP3 player...........

http://baylorbears.cstv.com/multimed...fight-song.mp3

DeToxRox 03-12-2009 01:59 PM

Michigan up 25-12 halfway through the first. Let's hope the hot shooting continues.

cartman 03-12-2009 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan (Post 1967205)
Cartman, UT have an free online radio feed anywhere? They're blocking the KSU radio feed.

Not sure, I'm watching it on TV.

Mizzou B-ball fan 03-12-2009 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cartman (Post 1967213)
Not sure, I'm watching it on TV.

I'll be home by the start of the second half, so I'll just tune in then. Thanks anyway.

DeToxRox 03-12-2009 02:23 PM

Michigan is up 40-19 on Iowa at the break. Sims is 8/8 for 18 points at the half.

SackAttack 03-12-2009 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sterlingice (Post 1967194)
Dang, looks like we'll be taking the rest of the week off. Wish we had gotten a chance to play some other teams so I had a better idea of how good we were. We came out flat in the first half and Baylor played well in the second half. Kudos to them- they're a better team than their record indicates.

SI

That has to affect KU's shot at a 1. Radio up here was talking like KU and, possibly, OU had a shot at 1 seeds, a couple days ago.

MizzouRah 03-12-2009 02:36 PM

Down goes KU!

cartman 03-12-2009 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SackAttack (Post 1967237)
That has to affect KU's shot at a 1. Radio up here was talking like KU and, possibly, OU had a shot at 1 seeds, a couple days ago.

I don't think KU had a realistic shot at a 1 seed. This more than likely might drop them from a 2/3 to a 3/4.

sterlingice 03-12-2009 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cartman (Post 1967245)
I don't think KU had a realistic shot at a 1 seed. This more than likely might drop them from a 2/3 to a 3/4.

What he said. As soon as we lost to Texas Tech, we lost our shot at a #1.

SI

hoopsguy 03-12-2009 02:52 PM

Anyone watching the Marquette/Nova game? From the box score it looks like a foul fest. 45 free throw attempts already with 16 minutes remaining in the game.

Radii 03-12-2009 02:55 PM

Clemson is falling apart against Georgia Tech. Tech up 12 with 8:45 left.

JonInMiddleGA 03-12-2009 03:17 PM

Now Techis trying to give it back, a 10 point lead with 2:09 left is down to 4 with 1:09 left, Timeout Clemson.

DeToxRox 03-12-2009 03:18 PM

Michigan is up 31 with a minute left. Huge statement win. Now win tomorrow vs Illinois and there are no questions.

JonInMiddleGA 03-12-2009 03:20 PM

Down 4 with 0:28 left, Clemson misses back to back free throws. Tech to the line with 0:25 left.

Radii 03-12-2009 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 1967286)
Now Techis trying to give it back, a 10 point lead with 2:09 left is down to 4 with 1:09 left, Timeout Clemson.

With the way both teams are shooting free throws in the final minute, I don't think either team really wants this one.

Radii 03-12-2009 03:26 PM

and down goes clemson.