Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   FOFC Archive (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   The 2009 Video Game Thread (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=70004)

DeToxRox 11-03-2009 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan (Post 2159908)
More impressions of Heavy Rain including developer comments..........

EE 2009: Heavy Rain Developer Session

This is a game I have been eager to play since I first starting reading about it.

It's a travesty that there will be an amazingly big glut of games I need to play basically coming out within 2-3 months of each other.

Off the top of my head there's God of War 3, Red Dead Redemption, Heavy Rain and I know there are 3-4 more I am flat out forgetting about.

Kodos 11-03-2009 10:16 AM

Left 4 Dead 2.

DataKing 11-03-2009 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kodos (Post 2159914)
Left 4 Dead 2.

Pre-ordered. :D

sachmo71 11-04-2009 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calis (Post 2155323)
Didn't get a chance to play it much last night, but did put an hour or so in. It seems very solid to me. It is extremely derivative of Diablo, moreso the original actually. There isn't a lot of fluff. You have a town and you have the dungeon and a very minimal amount of exposition.

If you ever heard of or played the game Fate a few years back this is by the same guys, and I know several people on the team were designers or otherwise involved with both Diablo games.

Only 3 classes which I a bit disappointing but it looks like there is a pretty wide variety of possible builds so hopefully that isn't an issue.

If you liked Diablo or Titan Quest definitely give it a try. I think I will end up going back to this one a lot to kill an hour or two here and there. Seems like a great deal for 20 bucks.

Should get to put in more time tonight with it.

This game is a lot of fun. It feels like what the developers always wanted Diablo to turn into. And once you complete the 20-30 hour main quest, you get a random dungeon dive game.

MrDNA 11-04-2009 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeToxRox (Post 2159912)
This is a game I have been eager to play since I first starting reading about it.

It's a travesty that there will be an amazingly big glut of games I need to play basically coming out within 2-3 months of each other.

Off the top of my head there's God of War 3, Red Dead Redemption, Heavy Rain and I know there are 3-4 more I am flat out forgetting about.

Golly gee, that's a good list. Definitely buying Red Dead, maybe the other two are just rentals depending on how much replay value they look to have (although Heavy Rain seems like you could play it multiple ways)

CleBrownsfan 11-05-2009 06:23 AM

I love this time of yer for gaming - so many games coming out in the next three months that look really good. Just don't know how I'm going to find time with DAo in my PS3!

EagleFan 11-05-2009 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rowech (Post 2157912)
At first? It took me a long while to finally get past that dude.

This is becoming a game killer for me. I don't mind it gettng a little more difficult as you go but this is seemingly insane. I certainly hope this is the battle that you are referring to or I wil be doomed if this isn't it.

Tell me you're talking about the guy at the end of the train. I have hit him with multiple grenades, emptied clip after clip on him an dodged him several times but still can't get past him. Is there something obvious that I am missing?

spleen1015 11-05-2009 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EagleFan (Post 2161664)
This is becoming a game killer for me. I don't mind it gettng a little more difficult as you go but this is seemingly insane. I certainly hope this is the battle that you are referring to or I wil be doomed if this isn't it.

Tell me you're talking about the guy at the end of the train. I have hit him with multiple grenades, emptied clip after clip on him an dodged him several times but still can't get past him. Is there something obvious that I am missing?

You have to keep working on him. When he lobs grenades, I would run to the outside of the train. When he charges at you, you have to go to the other end of the train and work on him some more.

EagleFan 11-05-2009 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spleen1015 (Post 2161694)
You have to keep working on him. When he lobs grenades, I would run to the outside of the train. When he charges at you, you have to go to the other end of the train and work on him some more.

Have been trying that approach but no luck yet. Took a break from it for a while to clear my head and try again. Was probably getting too frustrated and that was making it worse. The closest I came (I think) I ended up getting stuck on the edge of a wall and killed with a grenade.

MizzouRah 11-05-2009 12:57 PM

Is it Tuesday yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=429l13dS6kQ

MizzouRah 11-05-2009 01:12 PM

Detail is Walmart will sell the 360 Arcade for $200 with a free $100 GC.

11/7 - 11/13 I believe

Use that card to get a 360 hard drive kit for $89 and have a 60 GB Xbox 360, Live headset and three months of XBL Gold for $189.

CleBrownsfan 11-05-2009 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MizzouRah (Post 2161749)

Holy chit man... - I need a weeks worth of nothing but video games next week!!!!

MizzouRah 11-05-2009 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan (Post 2161762)
Holy chit man... - I need a weeks worth of nothing but video games next week!!!!

Amen, I'm sick next week!

rowech 11-05-2009 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EagleFan (Post 2161729)
Have been trying that approach but no luck yet. Took a break from it for a while to clear my head and try again. Was probably getting too frustrated and that was making it worse. The closest I came (I think) I ended up getting stuck on the edge of a wall and killed with a grenade.

Sadly, that's not the guy I'm talking to. He's nothing compared to the end. If I remember correctly, I kept punching him and eventually he dropped his guns and the fight becamse even. (I might be thinking of the wrong place in the game)

DeToxRox 11-05-2009 03:30 PM

Are you guys talking about Uncharted 2, the big guy on the train?

RainMaker 11-05-2009 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MizzouRah (Post 2161749)

Holy shit.

Tasan 11-05-2009 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainMaker (Post 2161938)
Holy shit.

+1

I mean, I had heard this was coming out, and I really enjoyed the first one.

But Holy Shit indeed.

EagleFan 11-05-2009 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rowech (Post 2161926)
Sadly, that's not the guy I'm talking to. He's nothing compared to the end. If I remember correctly, I kept punching him and eventually he dropped his guns and the fight becamse even. (I might be thinking of the wrong place in the game)

I got past that guy, and figure I am screwed when I get to the final boss.

dervack 11-05-2009 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MizzouRah (Post 2161760)
Detail is Walmart will sell the 360 Arcade for $200 with a free $100 GC.

11/7 - 11/13 I believe

Use that card to get a 360 hard drive kit for $89 and have a 60 GB Xbox 360, Live headset and three months of XBL Gold for $189.

Or, not saying you should do this and you have to find the right Customer Service person, IE overnights CSS, but you could purchase the 360 for 199, get the gift card.

Return the 360 without receipt, get gift card and then purchase a Elite with your two giftcards. Elite for 199.

rowech 11-05-2009 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EagleFan (Post 2162087)

I'm not a video game at all and I got past it. Took me more than an hour and did it at 3 am in the morning but I pulled it off.

dawgfan 11-05-2009 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EagleFan (Post 2162087)

I didn't find the final boss battle to be extraordinarily difficult - I actually got through the first time without dying and having to re-start, unlike many other levels in the game. Took a while (it takes a lot to kill him), but I was able to get it first time out.

Not saying it's easy, but there are workable strategies to win that level.

Kodos 11-05-2009 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dervack (Post 2162118)
Or, not saying you should do this and you have to find the right Customer Service person, IE overnights CSS, but you could purchase the 360 for 199, get the gift card.

Return the 360 without receipt, get gift card and then purchase a Elite with your two giftcards. Elite for 199.

If you want to be a total douche.

PineTar 11-05-2009 10:16 PM

The PC community is not happy with Infinity Ward...

Online Q&A with Infinity Ward on MW2 Confirms PC Users' Worst Fears - Evil Avatar

Fidatelo 11-05-2009 10:52 PM

So after reading some comments on here about Torchlight I tried the demo out-- what a fun game! I love that the graphics are low-end, you can still make a really nice looking game without needing a super-computer to play it nowadays. I was even playing the demo on my Mac via VMWare Fusion and it plays no problem.

In that regard, I'd like to get the Mac version but it sounds like I'll have to wait until January for it... not sure I can hold out that long. Hopefully Modern Warfare 2 will be enough of a distraction that January arrives quickly...

Tasan 11-05-2009 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PineTar (Post 2162270)

Meh. I'm still playing it.

MizzouRah 11-06-2009 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainMaker (Post 2161938)
Holy shit.

I'm seriously thinking about calling to see if they have a midnight release. :lol:

DeToxRox 11-06-2009 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MizzouRah (Post 2162299)
I'm seriously thinking about calling to see if they have a midnight release. :lol:

Almost every Gamestop here is, plus I know Best Buy is even doing it which is rare, or at the one around here it is anyway, so I bet it's safe to assume a store by you will be.

stevew 11-06-2009 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dervack (Post 2162118)

I'm fairly certain there is a barcode on each console sold, and therefore they'd be able to scan that. And I'd guess it would link directly to your receipt. Otherwise if your Xbox broke, you could just go buy another one and do the switcheroo if you RROD'd.

Cringer 11-06-2009 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PineTar (Post 2162270)

The 20 guys who buy it on PC probably are pretty pissed it will only support 9v9 at the most. Two guys get left going 1 on 1. ;)

Mizzou B-ball fan 11-06-2009 10:17 AM

New trailer for Buzz Quiz world is out.

Buzz Quiz World 11/10 « PS3 Blog and Community | PS3Blog.net

If you're new to the PS3 and didn't play this game on the PS2, it's a great party game. In addition, Buzz Quiz TV is selling with buzzers included for $20-30 in most retailers now. You can buy the old game for $20 and the new game for $40. $60 for both games with buzzers is a nice price.

I also purchased the 'Junior' Buzz games on PSN. They're $5 each. My 2 1/2 year old loves to play those games. Just basic color recognition games for the most part.

Calis 11-06-2009 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cringer (Post 2162340)
The 20 guys who buy it on PC probably are pretty pissed it will only support 9v9 at the most. Two guys get left going 1 on 1. ;)

Heh, to be fair though it was a pretty huge seller on PC as well. I know I read it did well over a million sales there. Harder to gauge exactly because of download services but it was definitely a noticeable chunk of money for them.

That said, people up in arms on stuff like this doesn't mean much. I don't see people boycotting it. They'll buy it if their fans, it is before release now and they're just gnashing teeth.

In other Call of Duty PC woes I read that the D2D and Impulse at least are refusing to carry the game because it has a forced Steamworks integration. I can understand where they're coming from, but not sure how wise this decision is. People are going to buy it and they're just ensuring it is from Steam.

I guess they had to standup at some point.

Radii 11-08-2009 12:41 AM

BOOM! Demon's Souls has been beaten! I thought it was gonna take about a week longer than it did heh. A lot of the levels I thought would take hours were pretty much just the end boss for that world.

Basically I think the first level is just inappropriately hard compared to the rest of the game. Its very possible that I died more getting to the first boss when the game just starts than I did in every other level combined. That's not to say that the rest of the game is easy, but I only once or twice felt frustrated after I beat the initial level that has to be beaten to get to the Nexus.

The wiki is invaluable. I don't think I ever would have beaten it without assistance from the wiki, but I tried not to use spoilers too often, only after a couple tries at a boss that was just absurdly difficult,or if I died at the same place repeatedly.

I'll spoiler one thing if anyone is still playing or planning on trying it again. The level progression is just not straightforward. Beating world 1, then 2, then 3, etc, is not how it goes. There are lots and lots of open ended options, but the most efficient way to attack the world I believe to be as follows:

Spoiler

MizzouRah 11-08-2009 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeToxRox (Post 2162302)
Almost every Gamestop here is, plus I know Best Buy is even doing it which is rare, or at the one around here it is anyway, so I bet it's safe to assume a store by you will be.

I need to take off Wednesday now. :D

Mizzou B-ball fan 11-09-2009 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MizzouRah (Post 2163636)
I need to take off Wednesday now. :D

If you worked for the government, you'd have Wednesday off.

CleBrownsfan 11-09-2009 07:19 AM

I'm taking one of my last four vacation days tomorrow and the wife is baby sitting outside the house tomorrow for most of the day. Best Buy is having a midnight sale tonight - I am so there. Can't wait for a CoD and Dragon Age marathon tomorrow ;)

CraigSca 11-09-2009 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cringer (Post 2162340)

I've purchased all my CODs on the PC - I can't stand the PS3/360 controller for games like this. Give me my mouse and keyboard any day.

FWIW - there are a lot of great servers with a great bunch of guys on the PC as well that I still play on.

spleen1015 11-09-2009 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan (Post 2163966)
I'm taking one of my last four vacation days tomorrow and the wife is baby sitting outside the house tomorrow for most of the day. Best Buy is having a midnight sale tonight - I am so there. Can't wait for a CoD and Dragon Age marathon tomorrow ;)

Will you be able to buy the game at midnight at Best Buy or is it pre-orders only?

CleBrownsfan 11-09-2009 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spleen1015 (Post 2163986)
Will you be able to buy the game at midnight at Best Buy or is it pre-orders only?

I called BB last week and they said anyone will be able to buy it - that I wont need to pre-order it.

Mizzou B-ball fan 11-09-2009 01:55 PM

Massive layoffs being reported over at EA.

Rumor: EA Guts Workforce After Big Playfish Buyout - Disturbance in the workforce - Kotaku

Cringer 11-09-2009 02:02 PM

10 hours and I will be buying COD: Modern Warfare 2 somewhere near me. Walmart probably. Considered the Prestige edition, but I want real night vision goggles so I will pass.

Cringer 11-09-2009 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraigSca (Post 2163968)
I've purchased all my CODs on the PC - I can't stand the PS3/360 controller for games like this. Give me my mouse and keyboard any day.

FWIW - there are a lot of great servers with a great bunch of guys on the PC as well that I still play on.

I know there are plenty of guys who play on the PC, it was just a joke coming from personal tastes. I have never enjoyed trying to play this type of game with mouse and keyboard, going back a long time. I know I haven't tried in over a decade.

Kodos 11-09-2009 02:31 PM

I can't imagine playing any video game with the mouse and keyboard.

Honolulu_Blue 11-09-2009 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kodos (Post 2164188)

Really? There are some games I can't imagine playing without a mouse and keyboard (say, Gears of War) and others I can't imagine playing with one (any of the Civ games or any traditional RTS, I can't see how a controller could be anywhere near as efficient or effective as a mouse and keybord in either of those type of games). And others I am fine with either. There's really no consistency in my approach to either. Where I have a preference, it's generally based on which way I've played it more.

sabotai 11-09-2009 02:59 PM

I probably wouldn't even play FPS or 3rd PS games if it wasn't with a mouse and keyboard. I tried on the 360 (Gears of War) and no matter much I liked the game, after about 10 minutes, I start getting motion sickness. That doesn't happen with mouse and keyboard since I can use the mouse to control where I'm looking. Much more of a natural motion to it. Turning with a gamepad always takes forever where with the mouse it's just a small amount of movement and you turn 180 (I always turn mouse sensitivity up all the way).

Kodos 11-09-2009 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue (Post 2164191)
Really? There are some games I can't imagine playing without a mouse and keyboard (say, Gears of War) and others I can't imagine playing with one (any of the Civ games or any traditional RTS, I can't see how a controller could be anywhere near as efficient or effective as a mouse and keybord in either of those type of games). And others I am fine with either. There's really no consistency in my approach to either. Where I have a preference, it's generally based on which way I've played it more.

I don't really play Civ or RTS games. Basically, for anything with live action, I prefer the Dual Shock.

MikeVic 11-09-2009 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kodos (Post 2164188)

I don't know if this comment is to be funny, or if you haven't played anything with a mouse/keyboard? I just thought most people would prefer a mouse/keyboard given the option. I can't play FPS games at all on console, the control lost in my opinion is brutal.

Honolulu_Blue 11-09-2009 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kodos (Post 2164221)
I don't really play Civ or RTS games. Basically, for anything with live action, I prefer the Dual Shock.

But could you imagine playing a Civ or RTS game with a mouse and keyboard?

samifan24 11-09-2009 05:08 PM

It surprises me a little bit that people are so excited about Modern Warfare 2. Playing online is fun and all but the single player is unbelievably short based on early reviews. I guess most people care more about playing online than I do.

Ronnie Dobbs2 11-09-2009 05:10 PM

I will play online for much longer than 6 to 8 hours.

spleen1015 11-09-2009 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samifan24 (Post 2164262)
It surprises me a little bit that people are so excited about Modern Warfare 2. Playing online is fun and all but the single player is unbelievably short based on early reviews. I guess most people care more about playing online than I do.

I have a group of 5 friends who play every CoD on Xbox Live every Wed. night. They want it for the MP more than anything else.